Russia's latest rumor

aussiew

Wrong it was Obama v. the past 8 years of Republican philosophy, which McCain could not divorce himself far enough from because with some modifications, it is part of his philosophy including the one of scare and fear.

I miss the Reagan Republican philosophy of "Can Do."

By today's standards Reagan was a liberal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:oops:

Russia isn't threatening us. Russia's trying to maintain their political dominance in their traditional Eastern European sphere of influence against what they perceive as US and NATO encroachment. Moving missiles into the Baltic is a political move, not a military one, to counter Poland's permission to us to base part of the ABM system there.

It's a political statement, not a military threat. The correct way to deal with it is as a political statement, not a military threat. And some of you people think the Bush administration will let it slide, just to prove Obama can't overreact militarily to a non-military situation? You people are insane.

:unsure:

Russia isn't threatening us. Russia's trying to maintain their political dominance in their traditional Eastern European sphere of influence against what they perceive as US and NATO encroachment. Moving missiles into the Baltic is a political move, not a military one, to counter Poland's permission to us to base part of the ABM system there.

It's a political statement, not a military threat. The correct way to deal with it is as a political statement, not a military threat. And some of you people think the Bush administration will let it slide, just to prove Obama can't overreact militarily to a non-military situation? You people are insane.

What is your opinion on the best way to handle this?

Wrong it was Obama v. the past 8 years of Republican philosophy, which McCain could not divorce himself far enough from because with some modifications, it is part of his philosophy including the one of scare and fear.

I miss the Reagan Republican philosophy of "Can Do."

The election is over. You can drop the BS DNC talking points.

LMAO

You guys are great. I didn't want Obama as President. I voted Barr actually, but like it or not, Obama is our President-Elect.

I love the rampant hypocrisy. Two months before he is President and this is Obama's fault. Yet on 9/11/01 it was still Bill Clinton's fault. The conservatives, without a party, on this board are awesome.

LMAO

You guys are great. I didn't want Obama as President. I voted Barr actually, but like it or not, Obama is our President-Elect.

I love the rampant hypocrisy. Two months before he is President and this is Obama's fault. Yet on 9/11/01 it was still Bill Clinton's fault. The conservatives, without a party, on this board are awesome.

NEWSFLASH: From the conservatives... IT IS STILL BILL CLINTON'S FAULT... Will be till the end of time! He broke up the Reagan conservative circle jerk.

:rolleyes:

What is your opinion on the best way to handle this?

If I had that answer, I'd have a completely different job. :thumbsup:

But to assume that relations can be managed from the White House alone is...well, an unlikely assumption. The fundamental basis of US-Russian relations right now is competitive - we're competing for influence in the same regions, and though ideally joint recognition of and mutual cooperation on our interests would benefit both parties, it would not be seen as beneficial to those actually living in the regions. (You think Eastern Europe wants us to cooperate with Russia in Eastern Europe?) So, simply by nature of the interested third parties involved, US-Russian relations are likely to remain competitive if not contentious for some time to come.

The only way I see that NOT happening is if one or the other willingly relinquishes (to some degree) their regional interests in central Asia or Eastern Europe, and removes the competitive issues, which I think would be less a thawing of relations than it would be simply dodging the root issues.

If I had that answer, I'd have a completely different job. :thumbsup:

But to assume that relations can be managed from the White House alone is...well, an unlikely assumption. The fundamental basis of US-Russian relations right now is competitive - we're competing for influence in the same regions, and though ideally joint recognition of and mutual cooperation on our interests would benefit both parties, it would not be seen as beneficial to those actually living in the regions. (You think Eastern Europe wants us to cooperate with Russia in Eastern Europe?) So, simply by nature of the interested third parties involved, US-Russian relations are likely to remain competitive if not contentious for some time to come.

The only way I see that NOT happening is if one or the other willingly relinquishes (to some degree) their regional interests in central Asia or Eastern Europe, and removes the competitive issues, which I think would be less a thawing of relations than it would be simply dodging the root issues.

So in other words Obama to cave and withdraw everything from the region and give it to the Russians. Cool.

No need to worry. Obama is going to talk these guys. He's an excellent speaker.

lol..yeah. His charisma is all it takes to get over on these cossacks!!! He's like Jesus that way you know? I love Obama I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing he is in our future looking after us all.

So in other words Obama to cave and withdraw everything from the region and give it to the Russians. Cool.

A bit of an alarmist way of putting it. I'd prefer to say it as: there's no thawing our relations with Russia without making concessions to their pride and their perceptions of their international rights and interests. And I'm not sure than any concessions involving weakening our relations with Eastern Europe and Central Asia are a wise trade-off...which are fundamentally the concessions that would matter most to the Russians.

A bit of an alarmist way of putting it. I'd prefer to say it as: there's no thawing our relations with Russia without making concessions to their pride and their perceptions of their international rights and interests. And I'm not sure than any concessions involving weakening our relations with Eastern Europe and Central Asia are a wise trade-off...which are fundamentally the concessions that would matter most to the Russians.

Too many big words Tom for the tinfoil hat people around here. Yeah maybe alarmist on my part, but in effect it's close to what I suspect and expect from the new administration. I figure the missle shield dies a quick death and Poland and a few countries in the area to see less "good trade" agreements and less push to bring them into full NATO and other accords. In fact, I suspect we'll back down on some of our public statements as far as oiur commitments to the regions. And yes depending on how Russia rattles their sabers when it could increase tensions and lead to more Cold War type politics.