2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was like the collapse against Pitt last year.

Glad they won and all, but it's tough to really feel good about a win like this.

Agreed.

Devendorf basically saved us with his clutch shooting down the stretch and in OT.

I'm shocked we didn't get out of the zone when G'Town started raining down 3's near the end of the game.

The KO ejection was perhaps one of the worst calls I've witnessed.

it was brutal but they needed the win so, I feel good about it...it was really nice to see them win the face of adversity...Onganet being tossed, Rautins fouling out, the free throw woes, Flynn and Devo trying to give the game away at the end of regulation.

But AO was huge, flynn and devo showed they have nerves of steel at the end, and Onganet was playing lights out AGAIN, before he was tossed...

Question about the free throws....everyone is quick to jump on boeheim about them, but elmore did say that in practice, AO was hitting them...is it coaching or is it simply a lost 'art' that the players fail to realize the importance?

That was like the collapse against Pitt last year.

Glad they won and all, but it's tough to really feel good about a win like this.

I didn't really want to comment on that game until I let it sink in for a couple days. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. It's a lot easier to not fold up the tents after blowing a big lead when you're at home, so I don't want to give them too much credit for that. I'll take the W though, and it was good to see AO back. Looking forward to the Nova game, hopefully another 30k+ crowd.

i really don't think AO was fully ready during that game, i think the G-Town game was his first at 100%...Blair was a beast in that game though...also without dwyer/dyer in their the whole game, i think it really changed the game for UConn...and BTW, its ok to be Biased

Am I biased, but there is no reason AO couldn't have done exactly what Blair did against Thabeet??

I wish we could have the UConn game back, or it was at home. We played good defense; we just didn't attack Thabeet like we could have done.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, not much to say about the game today.....they played really well, but even if they played poorly, they still would have had this game easily.....lovin' Kristoff lately...he is playing hard

Well, nice couple of breathers against SJU and UC this week. I think that if SU beats Rutgirls on Tuesday night, they'll lock up an NCAA bid.

Wish I could've seen it; no nat'l tv appears to be a good thing.

If there's a positive about the last two years it's that Selection Sunday will have that Christmas morning feeling again. As mentioned they just gotta show up on Tuesday.

The other plus of winning these games is avoiding the 8/9 seed and 50/50 shot of a road game vs. UNC in the 2nd round (since Pitt & Uconn will both be #1's).

Wish I could've seen it; no nat'l tv appears to be a good thing.

If there's a positive about the last two years it's that Selection Sunday will have that Christmas morning feeling again. As mentioned they just gotta show up on Tuesday.

I thought the same, but then figured out you can see some of these games for free on espn360. I only caught some of the Cincy game though.

We are a lock at this point, given that Memphis and Kansas continue to rise through the rankings.

Lock it up, fellas!

Nice Senior Night performance for KO, Thomas (nice step back J!) and Presutti (the kiss!).

Have a sneaking suspicion that 2 of Flynn, Devo and Harris won't be back next year. If Harris does leave, he left the home fans with quite a goodbye.

I think the more likely candidate to depart is flynn, devo hasnt 'done' much this year and harris is still very sloppy. very nice to see these guys having some fun out on the court, although they need to be careful to not let it get in the way of actual performance. KO has been the MVP for the second half of the season, he has been playing really well. they are grooving at the right time...hopefully it isnt because of the recent competition, but they just seem to be playing lights out...

Lock it up, fellas!

Nice Senior Night performance for KO, Thomas (nice step back J!) and Presutti (the kiss!).

Have a sneaking suspicion that 2 of Flynn, Devo and Harris won't be back next year. If Harris does leave, he left the home fans with quite a goodbye.

Lock it up, fellas!

Harris is coming back...as he should, IMO. He isn't ready (neither is Flynn):

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/

Flynn may not be ready, but he's still a 1st round pick so he has an excuse to leave. Lol @ Devo in the NBA.

Oh, I understand. Most who leave college early (or skip it altogether, back when that was OK) aren't/weren't ready for the NBA. But, the NBA doesn't seem to care.

With Flynn the question, to me, is whether another year will make him a better player. I think it will, simply because he learns more as he plays. But, he can probably do that at the next level. It isn't as though I think he'll be missing valuable coaching insight at 'Cuse, unfortunately.

I agree with you guys on Flynn--that he's not ready, and regardless might still be a first round pick.

I'm hoping seeing Greene bounce around the D-League might give him pause. Playing in the d-league or 5-10 minutes per game in the NBA is far worse preparation to be a legit NBA player than playing in the Big East.

DaShonte Riley commits

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/...s_syracuse.html

So, before next year, either Southerland never makes it to campus, or one (or more) of Williams/PH/Devo/Flynn leave, or Papa Rautins pays Andy's way.

Imagine the length and depth we're going to have on the back line. Supposedly Wes Johnson is a superstar in practice.

I've heard Devo is gone next year (through unreliable sources); and will Williams ever see the floor?

save for a couple minutes....great game....dont know why kristoff isnt playing more down the stretch...but what a step up by rick jackson....johnny flynn is a MAN out there

Crazy game, and gutsy win @ marquette.

#6 seed in the BET

Very nice win. The defensive boards are still infuriating but that's almost like complaining about the Bills pass-rush at this point. I think we're a #5 seed in the ncaa's now.

Oh please don't say that. Anything but a 5 seed. You know we will be one of the two 5-12 upsets if we do.

that game almost got really ugly. I really don't care for Devendorf, but he really didn't do anything wrong during the scrum.

Even as a SU fan, I hate that guy. If I was playing against him, I would definitely throw a punch. He goal hangs, runs his mouth, and acts like a superstar. If he just cut out the other stuff, he would be thought of as a good player. But he has too much nonsense.

that game almost got really ugly. I really don't care for Devendorf, but he really didn't do anything wrong during the scrum.

Naw, he didn't do anything wrong during the scrum, but he pulled a vintage cocky ass devo move with that stare down after he popped that three right after the fight. Good player at times, but the kid can be such a thug out there too often.

Naw, he didn't do anything wrong during the scrum, but he pulled a vintage cocky ass devo move with that stare down after he popped that three right after the fight. Good player at times, but the kid can be such a thug out there too often.

He's the type of guy who would hit on your girlfriend in front of you.

That was some interesting drama. I like Bilas a lot but have no clue what he was watching. All AO did was scream and not in the guy's face after a block (who doesn't do that?) and the SH player starts jawing; not sure how SU instigated that.

I agree that Devo acted reasonably during the scrum; he's got a reputation that hurts him with some calls, which is largely his own fault. I could tolerate his antics more if he was half as good at basketball as he thinks he is. He's not.