2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

Whenver I see that Burr or Higgins are doing an SU game, I know that they're going to get !@#$ed, but tonight was worse than usual.

Don't get me wrong, SU played like crap, but the refs were terrible.

It'll be fun to see Pitt lose in the 2nd round of the NCAAs again.

The 2nd half I thought was officiated fine, which was when we got drilled. The 1st half was a little ridiculous, but with the way our bigs shoot FT's it's hard to complain too much.

Also I have no idea how a HOF coach doesn't have his team prepared to execute a 2-for-1 when they get the ball with a minute left in the half. Instead they milk the clock and Devo walks for the 871st time with 5/34 on the shot/game clock.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in the game was Flynn really. He had his worst game of the year, when we needed him to have a 30-point night.

AO also needs to learn to deal with double-teams.

Definitely a bad game for Flynn. When his game is off the team just doesn't function as efficiently as it should. But holy cow did the Pitt crowd get into Devendorf's head after his first shot was an air ball. He became a turnover machine after that.

Well can't even hold serve at home now; I guess we're officially a middle of the pack team in this conference. That sucks.

The rebounding was of course abysmal again but in giving up less than 70pts we still had a chance to win in spite of that with a B level game offensively. Why our Guards insisted on penetrating and looking for contact I'll never know since it was obvious 5 minutes into the game those refs weren't going to call anything. It was a winnable game with less isolation, more ball movement and taking the decisive/open 3's when available. Sometimes I just don't know what Boeheim is doing on that bench.

Well can't even hold serve at home now; I guess we're officially a middle of the pack team in this conference. That sucks.

The rebounding was of course abysmal again but in giving up less than 70pts we still had a chance to win in spite of that with a B level game offensively. Why our Guards insisted on penetrating and looking for contact I'll never know since it was obvious 5 minutes into the game those refs weren't going to call anything. It was a winnable game with less isolation, more ball movement and taking the decisive/open 3's when available. Sometimes I just don't know what Boeheim is doing on that bench.

Agreed on all points.

No idea why Joseph was in down the stretch instead of Jackson.

That game was frustrating beyond belief.

I didn't see the game, but looking at the box score and the ten-second highlight, it looked like everything was about even--rebounding, FG percentage--and Williams just drained a couple tough shots down the stretch to win the game.

What was the deal with AO? He was 5 for 6 from the floor, but the espn.com announcer seemed to suggest that that was all in the first half-- he didn't take a shot in the second half??

I didn't see the game, but looking at the box score and the ten-second highlight, it looked like everything was about even--rebounding, FG percentage--and Williams just drained a couple tough shots down the stretch to win the game.

What was the deal with AO? He was 5 for 6 from the floor, but the espn.com announcer seemed to suggest that that was all in the first half-- he didn't take a shot in the second half??

Louisville had a boatload of offensive rebounds -- had to be somewhere around 25. Cuse, as usual, rebounded terribly, and were pretty poor defensively. The only thing that kept them in the game was the fact that Louisville doesn't shoot the ball well.

AO had very few touches in the 2nd half. I think that he was 1-2 in the 2nd half. He did make a FT, though :blink:

Rautins sprained his ankle -- missed most of the 2nd half.

Well can't even hold serve at home now; I guess we're officially a middle of the pack team in this conference.
That game was frustrating beyond belief.
...it looked like everything was about even
Louisville had a boatload of offensive rebounds -- had to be somewhere around 25. Cuse, as usual, rebounded terribly, and were pretty poor defensively.

While this years team is decent, they don't have the length or athletecism to hang with the big boys of the Big East. They should make the tourney but I'd be surprised if they got to the Sweet 16.

the radio announces had said earlier in the first half they thought AO was having back problems, not sure what ever came of that or whether it was even true..

it seems Cuse gets outrebounded alot because of long rebounds...not sure where the fault lies there, if you have people around the hoop ready to crash the boards, and the ball goes sailing to the perimeter....just not knowlegeable enough in playing defense as to how that can be addressed...

missing Rautins never helps...

Louisville did hit some clutch 3's under 2 minutes when it was still a 2 point game...

Louisville had a boatload of offensive rebounds -- had to be somewhere around 25. Cuse, as usual, rebounded terribly, and were pretty poor defensively. The only thing that kept them in the game was the fact that Louisville doesn't shoot the ball well.

AO had very few touches in the 2nd half. I think that he was 1-2 in the 2nd half. He did make a FT, though :blink:

Rautins sprained his ankle -- missed most of the 2nd half.

the radio announces had said earlier in the first half they thought AO was having back problems, not sure what ever came of that or whether it was even true..

Must've been his knee. Apparently, he's expected to miss tonight's game.

No Rautins, no AO, and no bench. Shaping up to be another loss....

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2009/01/projo-sportstal-19.html

no mookie, devo is still nursing a him injury...yikes...glad its only on 360...cant see it and not sure i really want to

Must've been his knee. Apparently, he's expected to miss tonight's game.

No Rautins, no AO, and no bench. Shaping up to be another loss....

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2009/01/projo-sportstal-19.html

wow, didnt realize harris was not 100%...without them the team was hobbled, with them not at full strength, what other outcome could we expect...Devo and Flynn certainly stepped up, as did KO and Joseph...apparently..I will give them an injury pass on this one

AO looked really hobbled...apparently Harris was hurt as well. Neither one of them started.

It's tough to fault Devo when he scored 27 points. But look at the box score, and you'll see the only difference in the game is that we had ten more turnovers (9 by Devo) than Providence did.

But the key point in the game was when we were down by 5 with a minute or so left, Devo had a nice look for a three, and missed it. He drains that, and it gets very interesting at the end.

I didn't realize AO was hurt that badly. WTF that's half our lineup. Should've bet the mortgage on Providence -2.

All things considered it's not a terrible loss, though the cumulative effect of "3 L's in a row and 4 of 5" is going to be seen by some as a disaster. Hopefully AO & Rautins are back for the WVU game (sounds like they will be). If we drop that one at home, then I'm ok with hitting the panic button.

Finally a good game, and Rautins/AO still weren't all there. Ongenaut provided some good energy on defense.

Going to the Nova game Saturday...

Agreed. KO was key to that game last night. And, boy, that team looks great when Flynn and Devo are in a zone! I would have liked to see Jackson get more offensive touches, but we obviously didn't have a hard time scoring

Have a great time Saturday! For some reason, I despise Jay Wright--so I really get up for our Villanova games.

Agreed. KO was key to that game last night. And, boy, that team looks great when Flynn and Devo are in a zone! I would have liked to see Jackson get more offensive touches, but we obviously didn't have a hard time scoring

Have a great time Saturday! For some reason, I despise Jay Wright--so I really get up for our Villanova games.

I don't really hate 'em as much as most Philly locals do. Tentative plan is to pregame at a Cuse bar around the baseball stadium, then Pat's Steak after the game. Not worried about getting beat up since ya know, it's Villanova.

yet another absolutely putrid defensive performance

This is getting tiresome. Either they're on or they're getting blown out.

Is their defense really that bad, or do we face unusually hot-shooting teams? Cunningham couldn't miss on those 15-footers--those aren't easy shots, and a lot of them were contested, yet he drains 31 points??

Devo's turnovers and failure to box out, really hurt us this game. There were a few runs we made that were stymied by a Devo turnover.

Also, when AO is in the game, we still need to get the ball to him in the block; he and Jackson got position down low today but no one fed them the ball. You can't run a consistently good offense just dribbling up top and then hoping to beat guys off of the dribble.

This is getting tiresome. Either they're on or they're getting blown out.

Is their defense really that bad, or do we face unusually hot-shooting teams? Cunningham couldn't miss on those 15-footers--those aren't easy shots, and a lot of them were contested, yet he drains 31 points??

Devo's turnovers and failure to box out, really hurt us this game. There were a few runs we made that were stymied by a Devo turnover.

Also, when AO is in the game, we still need to get the ball to him in the block; he and Jackson got position down low today but no one fed them the ball. You can't run a consistently good offense just dribbling up top and then hoping to beat guys off of the dribble.

I used to be a Boeheim basher years ago, but lightened up on him, a few years ago. But, I see an inconsistency in this team, and some odd choices on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, that makes me wonder, once again. From the games i have seen, the D looks better when they pressure the ball and fo man-to-man for some stretches. On offense, he seems to let them "just play" quite a bit, instead of coaching them to adjust their approach. Of course, I don't see as many games as some of you SU guys...so I will defer to your judgment.

Tiresome for sure. WTF, we can't even compete vs. a decent team on the road anymore. I can't put into words how much I hate Devo and wish he were gone after this year. I guess our only hope is that AO still isn't healthy and will get there in a couple weeks, but who knows; we'll have to play a lot better to beat that team in the dome because it's not like Wachovia is an intimidating place to play (the building was almost half orange fans).

AO was definitely not ready to play yesterday

Tiresome for sure. WTF, we can't even compete vs. a decent team on the road anymore. I can't put into words how much I hate Devo and wish he were gone after this year. I guess our only hope is that AO still isn't healthy and will get there in a couple weeks, but who knows; we'll have to play a lot better to beat that team in the dome because it's not like Wachovia is an intimidating place to play (the building was almost half orange fans).

I used to be a Boeheim basher years ago, but lightened up on him, a few years ago. But, I see an inconsistency in this team, and some odd choices on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, that makes me wonder, once again. From the games i have seen, the D looks better when they pressure the ball and fo man-to-man for some stretches. On offense, he seems to let them "just play" quite a bit, instead of coaching them to adjust their approach. Of course, I don't see as many games as some of you SU guys...so I will defer to your judgment.

I've heard a lot of fans ripping JB this year. He's too much of a "guard" guy--we've got beasts down low, and we don't run the offense through them, instead opting for Devendorf to fumble the ball away on drives to the hoop or Rautins to lauch 30-foot three's.

I'd like to see us go man-to-man on defense--and have guys like RJ and AO take 10-15 shots per game.

I've heard a lot of fans ripping JB this year. He's too much of a "guard" guy--we've got beasts down low, and we don't run the offense through them, instead opting for Devendorf to fumble the ball away on drives to the hoop or Rautins to lauch 30-foot three's.

I'd like to see us go man-to-man on defense--and have guys like RJ and AO take 10-15 shots per game.

Well, from the games I have seen, I'd have to agree. I think it would help Flynn, in the long run, too. Yes, there are times when it is appropriate to let the guards take over, but get the big guys going early...that's my philosophy.

Anyone else think the Cuse just really isn't all that good?

Depends what you mean by "all that good".

I saw them beat Kansas in what almost amounted to a home game, for Kansas. So, I think they are better than they look, at times.

Anyone else think the Cuse just really isn't all that good?

They are funny team to figure out. Last month I thought they were going to be a 3/4 seed. I knew they would lose some games in the big east just because outside of probably St Johns/Rutgers/Depaul there are really no guaranteed victories in this conference. Even St Johns sometimes plays tough at home. Right now I am looking at a very flawed team that if they do not get their business in order are going to be firmly on the Bubble come selection sunday. I agree with the previous poster, Devo is a liability out there. They should of left him suspended.

I saw them beat Kansas in what almost amounted to a home game, for Kansas. So, I think they are better than they look, at times.

Kansas has creeped up in the top 25 after losing to the Cuse and Zona. The Jayhawks aren't what they were last year but are decent. I just don't think SU can hang with long, athletic teams that can shoot the rock.

What's there to say about last night except I look forward to someone punching Thabeet in the face?

I was surprised we didn't get more killed on the glass. At least in the 1st half it was 1 shot for them every possession.

AO & Rautins really need to get healthy or else we're 1 and done in the tourney if we make it. Can still be a Sweet 16 team with them at 100% though imo.

I'm not going to pick that Uconn team to win the whole thing (as I ususally do when they're good). I feel they're like past Pittsburgh teams in that I don't know where they're going for a basket in a tie game w/ 2 min's left. Also if Thabeet gets in foul trouble (which can happen with non-BE refs) that's a problem for them.

I was surprised we didn't get more killed on the glass. At least in the 1st half it was 1 shot for them every possession.

AO & Rautins really need to get healthy or else we're 1 and done in the tourney if we make it. Can still be a Sweet 16 team with them at 100% though imo.

I'm not going to pick that Uconn team to win the whole thing (as I ususally do when they're good). I feel they're like past Pittsburgh teams in that I don't know where they're going for a basket in a tie game w/ 2 min's left. Also if Thabeet gets in foul trouble (which can happen with non-BE refs) that's a problem for them.

That's a good point about UConn in the tourney. I think a key test is going to be against Pitt on Monday. Blair is exactly the type of player that could get Thabeet in foul trouble. Without Thabeet on the floor, UConn is no better than a team like Syracuse.

WTF was that call on Onganet(sp)...holy crap!!!!!!

especially considering all the crap that Thabeet got away with on Wednesday.

Also, if the foul truly was "flagrant", wouldn't it take more than 5 minutes worth of replays to demonstrate such?

horrendous call, and then they follow it up by missing the goal tend call on AO when he put his hand through the rim to make the block....what a second half performance by this bi-polar team

especially considering all the crap that Thabeet got away with on Wednesday.

Also, if the foul truly was "flagrant", wouldn't it take more than 5 minutes worth of replays to demonstrate such?