2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harris just took over as SU made their decisive 2nd half run

I was still glad to be at the game, even if Cornell lost. I want to note though that Louis Dale, our star point guard and last year's Ivy League MVP is out with a hamstring injury. I think Cornell wins that game with Dale in there. The way I see it Syracuse looks like a 3-4 seed and Cornell should be a 13 or 14 if they win the Ivy League again (we will). So a rematch is possible.

Word on ther street in Devo is done for the year and perhaps his career at Syracuse for the "slapping" incident.

What a blow to the team if true!

This is the first I heard about the incident. Here is a link to the story.

As far as an impact on the team, it may hurt a little in the ball handling department, but SU is loaded with scorers. Flynn won't get as much rest (much like last year) but more minutes for Rautins won't be a bad thing. Can they un-redshirt Scoop?

On a personal level, I can't stand Eric. He's a douchebag of the highest order.

As far as an impact on the team, it may hurt a little in the ball handling department, but SU is loaded with scorers. Flynn won't get as much rest (much like last year) but more minutes for Rautins won't be a bad thing. Can they un-redshirt Scoop?

My "sources" (probably double or triple hearsay--so take it with a grain of salt) said that Devo beat up the girl's boyfriend at the frat party, she came over there and got out of her car, and he slapped or hit her too (maybe in self-defense, maybe not). And the fact that Devo was already on probation might mean that he's gone for this incident.

I'm worried with him gone--Rautins is too streaky and can't really penetrate. Perhaps it will be a way to get AO more touches--the guy only shoots something like 85% from the field!!

I don't know Devo obviously, but it's sounding like your assessment of him is pretty right on.

Wow, that sucks. It will probably hurt the team, as Rautins is streaky and, from what I have seen, not a particularly slick ball handler (insert snide comment here). Obviously, Flynn is terrific at PG, but that's a lot of minutes to play, without some help. Does the team have another guard, who might step up with more PT, this year?

Does the team have another guard, who might step up with more PT, this year?

Scoop was redshirted. I'm not sure what the deal is with redshirting. Is he eligible to play? I also think he has some academic issues. As far as the team having another guard, Mookie Jones and Justin Thomas are the only other candidates. Jones is unbelievably raw and Thomas is a former walk on. Not good options. Perhaps Joseph could play some guard in a pinch.

Any guy who would punch a woman in the face for any reason is a douchebag of the highest order. :lol:

Since this was self defense :rolleyes: I'd love to know the difference in their sizes.

+1.

They missed him maybe more than I thought last year, but I think that was magnified in that they didn't have any other shooters ie Rautins, who I haven't noticed him to be especially streaky as others have said.

he's been suspended until at least the end of the academic year. He has until 5 pm tomorrow to notify the board of his intent to appeal

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200...basketball.html

ESPN reporting too: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3760958

I have been a big Devo detractor (his TO's are killer), but we're going to be a worse team without him.

Can you believe Devo's career has turned out like this? When we recruited him, there was real concern that he would go stratight to the NBA or be one-and-done. Now, he could very well be at Syracuse for 6 years, if he's able to get another year of elgibility post-suspension.

Can you believe Devo's career has turned out like this?

I just can't believe it didn't end sooner. I hope he's done for good. He represents much of what is wrong with college hoops, not that there are a bunch of choir boys on the team but Eric seemed to be the worst.

is this why Devo is being suspended? what if the claim that moments earlier she tried to hit him with her car? I know he appears to be a thug, but I suspect any of us would react somewhat similarly if we were "run over" I really hope there is more to the suspension then just "he said, she said"

"The Board found that on or about Nov. 1, 2008 at or near 703 Walnut Avenue, you physically harassed another Syracuse University student by intentionally striking her with your hand causing her to become alarmed and annoyed," according to the letter to Devendorf from Rami Badawy, SU's director of judicial affairs.

Appeals board reached its decision. Devo suspended immediately from team; has to do 40 hours of community service and then will get reinstated. Flynn might not play tomorrow due to injury.

The Memphis game ain't looking good.

all things considered, not too bad, even if he is a douche

How about Big Rick Jackson last night? :angry:

Flynn and Harris, as usual, were stellar as well

what the what? where did Jackson suddenly develop such an offensive game? He showed great hands, nice touch, finished well around the basket. That AO/Jackson line-up will be fierce.

Also, if Flynn stays all 4 years, he could be considered the best Syracuse player ever to play there. He's like Sherman and G-Mac all in one.

Devo is done with his community service and will be reinstated...and now according to an espn story.....how do they get from the original ruling to this if the student maintains he never hit her....this is just f@@ked up

But according to Pete Moore, the director of athletic communications at Syracuse, the University Appeals Board's findings determined it was a verbal dispute and "basically a violation of the student code of conduct."

The female student's lawyer has maintained his client never said Devendorf hit her and that her statement to police was misconstrued in their report on the incident.

sonsabitches nearly gave tonight's game away. If USF had played decently in the first half it coulda ended differently. Overall a lackluster performance I would say...........but a win is a win. Team missed Harris tonight.

When does Harris return?

When does Harris return?

Announcers indicated that they talked to him pre-game. He 'expected' to play normal minutes. Don't know if that was smoke or a game time decision from JB. I believe they said he had six stiches.

His injury is one that I never have to worry about. This Goomba never got near the rim!

I thought that the announcers said that Harris said he would play normal minutes "if needed". I have no idea what happened to the team between halves, but that 2nd half is one of the worst halves I've seen SU play in a long time.

No idea why JB stuck to the zone as long as he did, or why he called for Flynn to pound the ball into the court for the first 25 seconds of each SU possession for the last 3:00.

Of course, if SU hits their layups, or if AO is a competent FT shooter, we're not having this discussion

I thought that the announcers said that Harris said he would play normal minutes "if needed". I have no idea what happened to the team between halves, but that 2nd half is one of the worst halves I've seen SU play in a long time.

No idea why JB stuck to the zone as long as he did, or why he called for Flynn to pound the ball into the court for the first 25 seconds of each SU possession for the last 3:00.

Of course, if SU hits their layups, or if AO is a competent FT shooter, we're not having this discussion

Yeah, hate it when coaches change the flow of the game that way. It's not soooooo bad with SU because Flynn is very very good, but...

AO...highest FG % in the nation, lowest FT % (yes, an exageration, but not by much! :wallbash: )

Is it me, or has AO's FT shooting regressed? I remember last year he had a fairly nice looking free throw shot. Now, he shoots these moon balls with no rotation. He needs to take a page out of Shaq's book and try line-driving these free throws. With the moon balls, you either swish the thing or it's a brick if it touches the rim.

As for the game last night, I esp. agree on the missed lay-ups. Ongenat cannot finish around the basket to save his life. He missed or bobbled at least 4-5 easy lay-ups. I have no reason why this is the case, but he is not effective coming off the bench. I'd start Ongenat and bring Jackson off the bench, but give Jackson most of the minutes.

I also wonder with Harris being out, can Rautins play small forward? That way we can have Devo, Rautins, and Flynn on the court more often.