Cut Robert Royal

Cut him. Why did they bring him back?

On offense, the team has struggled at tight end since 2006. The franchise has known what they have in Royal for more than two years.

It's a theme in other areas as well, but DJ and the coaching staff has avoided playing rookies for much of this season. Unless absolutely necessary, only McKelvin and Hardy have played. They used a fourth on Fine, let's see him in there. He can't possibly be worse than fumbilitis Royal.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team has needed a TE since Metzelars left. What makes you think we are ever going to upgrade the position. Face it, the Bills FO loves bad TE's and Royal is the perfect fit.

It is not that they love bad tight ends, they just do not prioritize the position in the draft or in FA. Royal should be riding the bench as he was one of the primary reasons why we lost this game. Now that Fine is healthy, you will see him and Schouman getting more playing time.

Royal's fumble is not the only reason why we lost this game. The problem is that this is not a singular incident that Royal has been involved in.

I get the feeling the Bills will do nothing about this.

Please get Schouman more involved.

Trent played like dog**** today, too, fumbling the ball and tossing INTs. I suppose he should be cut, too.

By "INTs" you mean one interception, on a play where the offensive line let him get hit as he threw. The Miami defender in the backfield caused the interception, so it should be blamed on the offensive line which allowed that defender to arrive the the backfield so quickly. Likewise, one of his two fumbles was clearly and inarguably the fault of the offensive line.

Edwards obviously made some mistakes today, most notably the first fumble. But he also threw for 227 yards on a day when the offensive line did a lousy job of pass protection, even by its ultra-low standards for the 2008 season. The absence of Reed hurt a lot more than many people may realize, and Royal's complete ineptitude as a pass catching TE hurt Edwards' stats as well.

So, collectively as fans, do we ask for someone to be cut each week or is it just when we lose?

And yes, the Bobby Shaw cut was interesting...and we never missed him.

I'm not asking for Royal to be cut, he is a good blocker.

I'm just saying, maybe we should pass more to Schouman.

I don't care if it didn't matter.

:thumbsup::lol::lol:

I agree.

He is a royally soft pain in the a$$.

He can't catch half the balls thrown his way, and when he does he is easily brought down or fumbles them away. Everyone talks about his great blocking, but I don't see it.

Time to unload Royal and try Schumen(SP?), and how long is Fine going to be out with his hang nail injury?

On offense, the team has struggled at tight end since 2006. The franchise has known what they have in Royal for more than two years.

Au contraire. This team has struggled at tight end since McKeller got hurt. He was the last good TE the team had, although I will admit the 5.72-for-his-40-time Pete Metzelaars at least held on to the ball.

God can this guy mess up in big time situations any more?? He can't get his feet in the end zone against the Titans a few years back, he really put the nail in the coffin against the Cardinals with a fumble, and now today he fumbles after we pick up a 3rd and 19...wow, is there no one better out there? Idk how Trent has confidence throwing to him because its literally like waiting for a disaster to happen.... :thumbsup:

Royal is showing why there was so much interest in Gonzalez, and why the Bills drafted Shouman and Fine. They know they have to replace him, but have yet to find the right guy. Good tight ends don't grow on trees.

He should no longer be a target. Use Schouman, use Fine, use 4 WR sets, just DO NOT throw the ball to this failure.

Which makes you wonder WTF he was doing on the field during a late 4Q drive when the Bills were down by 2 scores.

Maybe they should cut a member of the coaching staff as well since they did just as bad a job today as anyone on the field.

TE needs to be a priority this offseason. IIRC, Royal signed a 3 year deal.

Michael Gaines update, for those of you who are curious.....

7 catches, 61 yards. All season.

Which makes you wonder WTF he was doing on the field during a late 4Q drive when the Bills were down by 2 scores.

Maybe they should cut a member of the coaching staff as well since they did just as bad a job today as anyone on the field.

It really does, KT, it really does. Royal has been more unreliable than reliable in his Bills tenure, and to go to him at such a pivotal moment was unfortunate, especially because he was WIDE OPEN. This piece of crap couldn't hold onto a ball all day and it's a shame he was the one TE went to when the game was in its final throes. The playcalling in this game was abhorrent, why they abandoned the run after the Lynch TD will be beyond me for awhile, until I see the Bills in the playoffs. I don't think we should cut Royal, but just understand him for what he is: a complete waste of a roster space that could be dumped on the practice squad as soon as the Bills get a halfway decent TE. Derek Fine, you're up. If you don't do a thing, I'll be celebrating when the Bills draft/trade for/pick up in FA a reliable TE, a position that has been conspicuously neglected since Riermersma.

It really does, KT, it really does.

Which is why I'm more pissed at the coaching than the players. Royal didn't put himself on the field for that drive. Same with McGee getting destroyed by Ginn all day. It wasn't McGee making the decision to be on the field.

Bad personnel decisions, bad play calling, bad defensive prep, bad scheme against Pennington --- this loss is entirely in Dick & Co.

Which is why I'm more pissed at the coaching than the players. Royal didn't put himself on the field for that drive. Same with McGee getting destroyed by Ginn all day. It wasn't McGee making the decision to be on the field.

Bad personnel decisions, bad play calling, bad defensive prep, bad scheme against Pennington --- this loss is entirely in Dick & Co.

Hey, get off my Dick! :thumbsup:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)