The 2006 Draft as a Class ... getting better

BuffaloBill

True McCargo was a bust but Witner, Yobouty, Simpson, Williams, Butler and Ellison were added to the roster - all but Yobouty are starters and he is close as the nickel. While it is hard to say what Buffalo would have done with the picks they gave up for McCargo (2nd round and ) the Bears selected Danieal Manning - Safety - hardly a solid pick - and Dusty Dvoracek Defensive end - like this guy is a perennial pro bowler. Buffalo took a gamble on McCargo but if you look at the draft as a whole Buffalo grades out very well. :(

True McCargo was a bust but Witner, Yobouty, Simpson, Williams, Butler and Ellison were added to the roster - all but Yobouty are starters and he is close as the nickel. While it is hard to say what Buffalo would have done with the picks they gave up for McCargo (2nd round and ) the Bears selected Danieal Manning - Safety - hardly a solid pick - and Dusty Dvoracek Defensive end - like this guy is a perennial pro bowler. Buffalo took a gamble on McCargo but if you look at the draft as a whole Buffalo grades out very well. :lol:

We could have had Marcus McNeil , the starting OT for the San Diego Chargers, who was picked 5 picks below the chicago pick.

Or NICK MANGOLD 2 picks after McCargo.

Passing on Mangold was a mistake, especially with the weak state of the center position for the Bills ever since Hull retired. However, everyone was on the "We need to draft DTs" bandwagon at the time.

Without using hindsight, McCargo was an okay selection, but a bit of a reach to move up that far to get him when there were plenty of choices still on the board where we could have picked instead. Plus Mario Williams and Kameron Wimbley (I think was the other DE/LB from NCState) helped make McCargo look really good on tape.

Passing on Mangold was a mistake, especially with the weak state of the center position for the Bills ever since Hull retired. However, everyone was on the "We need to draft DTs" bandwagon at the time.

Without using hindsight, McCargo was an okay selection, but a bit of a reach to move up that far to get him when there were plenty of choices still on the board where we could have picked instead. Plus Mario Williams and Kameron Wimbley (I think was the other DE/LB from NCState) helped make McCargo look really good on tape.

Kam Wimbley played @ FSU. Manny Lawson was the other DE that you're thinking of.

We could have had Marcus McNeil , the starting OT for the San Diego Chargers, who was picked 5 picks below the chicago pick.

Or NICK MANGOLD 2 picks after McCargo.

Yep, woulda coulda shoulda. Had we took McNeil he would have been the bust and we would be talking about what if we hadn't picked him.

The 2006 draft will go down as a turning point in the history of the organization. There were not any stars drafted, but to pick up so many quality starters in one year is a great accomplishment. The only complaints that could be me made is the drafting of McCargo, and failing to trade down form 8. Had the bills accepted Denver's trade offer (15th overall, 36th overall, and a fouth), we could have added a couple quality players and still had Whitner.

True McCargo was a bust but Witner, Yobouty, Simpson, Williams, Butler and Ellison were added to the roster - all but Yobouty are starters and he is close as the nickel. While it is hard to say what Buffalo would have done with the picks they gave up for McCargo (2nd round and ) the Bears selected Danieal Manning - Safety - hardly a solid pick - and Dusty Dvoracek Defensive end - like this guy is a perennial pro bowler. Buffalo took a gamble on McCargo but if you look at the draft as a whole Buffalo grades out very well. :nana:

The Bills had a productive draft, but the franchise shaping draft of 2006 was Jay Cutler, Tony Sheffler, Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil to Denver. By all rights, that organization should be dead in the water with all the bad moves they've made, but that one draft single handedly has kept them from cycling out of contention.

The Bills had a productive draft, but the franchise shaping draft of 2006 was Jay Cutler, Tony Sheffler, Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil to Denver. By all rights, that organization should be dead in the water with all the bad moves they've made, but that one draft single handedly has kept them from cycling out of contention.

True. Tampa Bay did pretty well too. They grabbed Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood late in rounds 1 and 2. It cost the Bills 73 million dollars to fill those positions in free agency in 07 with (I suppose) comparable talent. Other than that, Gradkowski looks like a serviceable backup QB.

Looking back, the Bills could have accepted one of the many trade down offers and came away with Mangold or Joseph and Trueblood, and they still would have been sitting with another 2nd, another 3rd, and Youboty.

I suppose it's a matter of priorities.

Their defensive failures, in particular the head coach's impatience w/ any defensive system (hence his defensive coordinator carousel) is one of the main reasons Denver hasn't been the elite team many think they should be.

True. Tampa Bay did pretty well too. They grabbed Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood late in rounds 1 and 2. It cost the Bills 73 million dollars to fill those positions in free agency in 07 with (I suppose) comparable talent. Other than that, Gradkowski looks like a serviceable backup QB.

Looking back, the Bills could have accepted one of the many trade down offers and came away with Mangold or Joseph and Trueblood, and they still would have been sitting with another 2nd, another 3rd, and Youboty.

Drafting Trueblood and Joseph instead of signing Dockery and Walker still doesn't fix the glaring deficiency on the O line: the center position. I know you like the moves, William, but if the Bills make those instead of the Bucs, we still have a smart but physically weak center who can't hold up @ the point of attack.

is Gradkowski even in the league anymore? The guy sucked when he was playing in Tampa Bay.

Very nice avatar, WVU. :(

Click on WVUFootball29's name..."View Member's Profile"... for the expanded view, folks.

Gradkowski isn't even on Tampa anymore. I believe he's a third stringer on St Louis. And while i agree with you on the need to draft more OL, money isnt the issue because both Joseph and Trueblood will need big contracts in the next year or 2. But overall i see your point about the Buccs draft. Tampa's good drafting of

OL and defense is what keeps them competitive most years. However, their glaring lack of attention to the offensive skill positions is what has been preventing them from returning to elite form.

And going off what Rich said, drafting those player wouldn't have solved our (or Tampa's) OL woes at center. Just this past spring, Tampa had to spend $40 mil for Jeff Faine to upgrade the center spot.

.....Had the bills accepted Denver's trade offer (15th overall, 36th overall, and a fouth), we could have added a couple quality players and still had Whitner.

Dubious speculation I believe.

Dubious speculation I believe.

But probably accurate. The better way to address the D was Ngata, and Mangold in the 2nd. Good SS are a dime a dozen. Even great ones really don't change games all the much or often. Guy like Brian Dawkins aren't found except once a decade, and usually never in the first round.

But probably accurate. The better way to address the D was Ngata, and Mangold in the 2nd. Good SS are a dime a dozen. Even great ones really don't change games all the much or often. Guy like Brian Dawkins aren't found except once a decade, and usually never in the first round.

Do you have any fact to back that up? Are you sure Cleveland wasnt going to draft whitner? What about Miami going up to get him instead of the amazing Will Allen?

But probably accurate......

......and definitely dubious speculation.

Aaarggh....no time.....SS is a much higher priority in modern day.....N'Gata was never going to be drafted into the D that had just been put into place......Whitner may/may not have dropped that far.......hindsight, hindsight, hindsight......

and there it is...cant discuss the 06 draft without discussing ngata. nada to ngata. ngata is one of the greatest names in would-be Bill history, here are some others: mckinnie, bryant johnson, malcolm kelly, michael turner, gonzales, flutie (but thats confusing because he eventually signed 13 years later.

Nope. Rams cut him after Brock Berlin beat him out for the No. 3 job.

Brock Berlin is still in the league?! He was so good in highschool but just never went to the next level. I remember seeing a highschool football show where the team he played against dropped all 11 guys into coverage and he still passed the ball just because he could. It was impressive.