McGargo to Colts for a draft pick

that doesn't mean they are private and not public. that just means they cheat on their taxes.

but i also think they are a private company. I can't be sure though

It means they are a loose conglomeration of businesses. The packers are public, however, their stock cannot appreciate in value and there are no dividends paid... etc. It's pretty damn clear that sox was not meant to rule over the NFL, and that the Feds don't give a damn about it. In fact, i've never heard anyone utter Sox and the NFL in the same sentence before TSW.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people will never be able to be reached. I don't see how anyone can blame any problems from the Donahoe era on this front office. If the guy who had your job before you at work really sucked should you be blamed for his mistakes?

Tell that to a customer standing in front of you complaining your company failed to honor it's service contract or sold him a faulty product. Do you think he really cares which employees fault it was?

It means they are a loose conglomeration of businesses. The packers are public, however, their stock cannot appreciate in value and there are no dividends paid... etc. It's pretty damn clear that sox was not meant to rule over the NFL, and that the Feds don't give a damn about it. In fact, i've never heard anyone utter Sox and the NFL in the same sentence before TSW.

I was just saying that because i know public companies that are 501©(6) and are public. from what i understand, 501©(6) is there for tax benifets to rich companies and keep them out of politics. but i know there are public companies that are 501©(6). 501©(6) doesn't specify the difference between public and private.

"Private companies have virtually no obligation to publicly distribute financial and other strategic information which can be used by its competitors."

http://www.sec.gov/info/smallbus/pnealis.pdf

Dude you are missing the point. Entities with anti-trust exemptions have to adhere to the rules of public companies.

Even before you get to the Packers thing that seals it. But if you had to go to the fact that the Packers are public, that would also obligate the other teams under the equal protection act of the Constitution.

I swear some people would be rather be right than see the Bills be successful. As a Bills fan, that's pitiful.

You hit the nail on the head about every single one of Dawgg's posts. He'd rather have all of Marv's draft picks bust out and the Bills suck just so he can brag that he "was right" about Marv being senile and an idiot.

Whether this is a good trade in large measure will depend on how McCargo performs with the Colts. If he starts playing like a first round draft choice for the Colts, the question is going to be why didn't he perform that way for the Bills or why did the Bills rush to make the trade.

He did not do much this year. Last year, there were some glimpses as to why he was taken so high. We shall see.

Talk about retarded.

What's retarded is the fact that you couldn't figure out that McCargo was not worth the steep price the team paid for him and that he was vastly overrated by the Bills' front office. And you'd still keep an overrated, overpaid, and under-motivated player on your team for "depth" purposes? Wow... that speaks for itself! :(

From the 2006 draft, the Bills have 4 starters on a 4-1 football team (Whitner, Butler, Williams, and Ellison). Seriously, how many other starters do you want? That is as good of a draft that the Bills have had in at least 10 years, if not longer.

Ellison, Simpson, Kyle Williams, and to a certain degree Butler are fringe starters at best. I'd argue that Youboty is the best of the bunch, aside from Donte of course.

Maybe McCargo is a bust (I still won't say that and I would have keep him for depth purposes alone) but shouldn't Marv also get credit for drafting a starting DT in the 5th round? I swear some people would be rather be right than see the Bills be successful. As a Bills fan, that's pitiful.

Yes, he should, though Kyle Williams is... well, Kyle Williams.

If Trent Edwards continues to grow and develops into a top QB, I don't care what ANY of the picks Marv made were... that pick alone changes the course of this franchise and Marv should get all the credit in the world. But the McCargo pick was so plain and obvious at the time (even to the other 31 teams) that it's painful to think about what could have been.

Whether this is a good trade in large measure will depend on how McCargo performs with the Colts. If he starts playing like a first round draft choice for the Colts, the question is going to be why didn't he perform that way for the Bills or why did the Bills rush to make the trade.

He did not do much this year. Last year, there were some glimpses as to why he was taken so high. We shall see.

Sometimes a change of scenery is enough for a player to blossom. He could go to the Dolts and start playing his ass off but if he was here he never would. He may be upset about the Stroud trade or something else. He hasn't been great with Buffalo but he's always been a decent reserve so I think there's more to this than we know.

This first round issue, probably by virtue of having three separate (and four total) GM's since 2000 is also a reason behind it. All made mistakes, whether they were HOF coaches or guys who are loved only by Mortensen.

It's not all Donahoe's fault. It's also not all Butler's or Levy's. Small market teams just can't afford to miss out on those picks as easier as larger markets can. It's a complete franchise issue, and the result is missing the playoffs. I believe that will change in 2008, largely on the successful drafting in 07 and a few free agent signings.

Bingo!!!!!

In 2007, they brought in 2 good blockers. A case can be made that they paid too much for Dockery, but I still support the move because this is the price to be paid when you choose to sign UFA Guards instead of drafting them.

Still, day 1 of 2007 reshaped the franchise imo. Lynch can change a game. Poz has tremendous responsibility for a kid his age, and I truly believe that he will be a very, very good lb. Trent? It is well known how I feel about him as a qb now, let alone his potential. Yeah, the kid is freaking good! :(

I don't know why Levy/Jauron place/placed so much emphasis on the secondary, but it is what it is. Now, our needs are clearly elsewhere. It shouldn't be so hard to find an OLB, a TE, nor even an OC with 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, let alone free agency.

That said, we desperately need another DT who plays a punishing game like Stroud. DTs seem to have a high "bust" rate, probably because in college, 320 pound DTs can find weaknesses and just punish opponents with ease, much like a certain fat RT did in college. Different story in the big leagues.

If the Bills can fill these holes, they will be a top 5 team imo. Hell, they might be one now, but if Stroud gets seriously hurt, it is gonna get ugly imo.

Bingo!!!!!

In 2007, they brought in 2 good blockers. A case can be made that they paid too much for Dockery, but I still support the move because this is the price to be paid when you choose to sign UFA Guards instead of drafting them.

Still, day 1 of 2007 reshaped the franchise imo. Lynch can change a game. Poz has tremendous responsibility for a kid his age, and I truly believe that he will be a very, very good lb. Trent? It is well known how I feel about him as a qb now, let alone his potential. Yeah, the kid is freaking good! :(

I don't know why Levy/Jauron place/placed so much emphasis on the secondary, but it is what it is. Now, our needs are clearly elsewhere. It shouldn't be so hard to find an OLB, a TE, nor even an OC with 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, let alone free agency.

That said, we desperately need another DT who plays a punishing game like Stroud. DTs seem to have a high "bust" rate, probably because in college, 320 pound DTs can find weaknesses and just punish opponents with ease, much like a certain fat RT did in college. Different story in the big leagues.

If the Bills can fill these holes, they will be a top 5 team imo. Hell, they might be one now, but if Stroud gets seriously hurt, it is gonna get ugly imo.

If McCargo was here it would still be ugly.

Of course. At times they didn't even suit him up for games. The coaches must have hated this guy.

I have no issues with the trade. My obvious hope is that they do something constructive with the draft pick.

This quote says a lot:

"It's like we've said from Day One, you've got to really want to play," Kollar told The Buffalo News. "It's real easy to go and talk about it. But what you have to do is work and get better on the practice field and take it into the game.

"He's got the ability. But deep inside yourself you've got to want to end up getting it done. You've got to end up doing it on the field."

He may wake up and perform for the Colts. Apparently he is not self motivated, hopefully for his sake, this is the wake up call he needed.

In my opinion, if McCargo plays well for the Colts is less a factor than how good the player is the Bills get with the draft pick. If he plays as well as McCargo did for the Bills, or hopefully better than McCargo did, then this will be a good trade for the Bills.

You certainly win the debate on McCargo. That said - and as I think you allude to - the QB position is by far and away the most important on the team, and if Edwards continues his upward trajectory (a big if), it could go down as one of the Bills' greatest picks ever considering where he was selected.

If you had any doubt about the importance of the QB position, take a look at the recent career of the team that drafted Ngata.

Kinda off topic, but after seeing the Pats/chargers game sunday night, do you still think the the Pats are a lock to win the division & the bills have no chance & our fighting only for a wild card?

Bingo!!!!!

Still, day 1 of 2007 reshaped the franchise imo. Lynch can change a game. Poz has tremendous responsibility for a kid his age, and I truly believe that he will be a very, very good lb. Trent? It is well known how I feel about him as a qb now, let alone his potential. Yeah, the kid is freaking good! :lol:

Good post. I think overall we have to give the Bills' FO credit for rebuilding the team in 3 years and having us on top the division right now (I reserve the right to change my opinion if we tank the rest of the season). Many of us did not agree with the way that they accomplished this rebuild. However, they appear to have had a plan and stuck to it. Now we seem to be seeing the fruits of that plan. We clearly still have holes or needed upgrades (perhaps more accurate) on the team. How/if we address these needs will largely determine how competitive the Bills remain in future years and how successful the FO is considered.

I fully expect more linemen to be in Buffalo at the start of 2009.

This quote says a lot:

"It's like we've said from Day One, you've got to really want to play," Kollar told The Buffalo News. "It's real easy to go and talk about it. But what you have to do is work and get better on the practice field and take it into the game.

"He's got the ability. But deep inside yourself you've got to want to end up getting it done. You've got to end up doing it on the field."

He may wake up and perform for the Colts. Apparently he is not self motivated, hopefully for his sake, this is the wake up call he needed.

Booger McFarland and Corey Simon had the same issues. The Colts just need DTs more than we do at present.

I also think that with this draft coming up - with almost every junior and reshirt Soph that can declare wanting to do so before rookies get slotted - the fact we now have 8 shots to get kids that fit our system makes me very happy. For all we know, this could be a situation ala Darwin Walker, where it is a conditional four that can move up!

Oh and Bill - this year, we need one free agent on that line - JASON BROWN - C, Ravens. Mauler, can play guard (if we draft a center as well) and the Ravens cannot keep him, Suggs, Lewis and Bart Scott.

I remember people saying that McCargo was beneficiary of better DE's on the line in college. The DE's were drafted before McCargo.

True. He was a good athlete on a defense with some great athletes. There was never any question about that.

There were a number of big arguments about whether he was a reach in the draft and if the Bills had made the best move by trading up to take him. The fact that he was only in Buffalo for 2.25 seasons, injured for much of that time, and traded for future considerations is overwhelming evidence that he was a reach and that the Bills did make a mistake on him. It is concerning that the Bills drafting of lineman, both offensive and defensive, hasn't been much to write home about under Modrak. Maybe it is just bad luck, but one might easily wonder if the Bills evaluation of lineman in particular just isn't all that and that process then precipitates and forces the team to overpay for flawed lineman on the free agency market.