McGargo to Colts for a draft pick

Sox forces timely and accurate disclosure. The word "timely" is one that is subject to interpretation. IMO, the NFL, Bills and Colts are walking a fine line here for reporting an hour or two late. In the other thread, people were claiming that trades might be reported the next day. That is in no way timely and the Feds would be all over it. A couple of hours late may still be considered timely, but since Polian worked for the Bills at one time, there will be worries about collusion.

The Packers being public really doesn't come into play. Like I said before, the NFL is considered a public company because of their anti-trust exemption and must comply. The Packers are merely one of 33 holy owned subsidiaries consisting of the 32 teams and the administrative functions of the league.

So when they use the term "orders from upstairs" they really mean "orders from upstairs".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I agree with the principle, I think it hurts our depth too much. Any other position, maybe. But at DT, we're now an injury away from disaster. And I don't agree that any street free agent is at least equal to McCargo. He knew the system and we know he has some talent, he just doesn't always use it. It's just a dangerous thing to do with an already thin position IMO.

You know what else is good? Indy has a very nasty schedule, and now we have someone else to root against every Sunday. :(

Every team Busts.

Check Ozzie Newsome's drafts since 1996. Or how about Indy's since Polian took over? Philly has a pretty good track record. The Giants are very good as well.

Resigning yourself to the fact that there are busts is not an excuse for having more than your fair share. I'd say having four of your eight (2000-2006) is more than normal. Considering Winfield and Clements left in UFA, and McGahee was traded, Buffalo has only Evans and Whitner to show from nine first rounders between 1999-2006.

It didn't matter which regime was in place, Butler, Donahoe, or Levauron calling the shots. Not all GM's/COO's are created equal.

Sox forces timely and accurate disclosure. The word "timely" is one that is subject to interpretation. IMO, the NFL, Bills and Colts are walking a fine line here for reporting an hour or two late. In the other thread, people were claiming that trades might be reported the next day. That is in no way timely and the Feds would be all over it. A couple of hours late may still be considered timely, but since Polian worked for the Bills at one time, there will be worries about collusion.

The Packers being public really doesn't come into play. Like I said before, the NFL is considered a public company because of their anti-trust exemption and must comply. The Packers are merely one of 33 holy owned subsidiaries consisting of the 32 teams and the administrative functions of the league.

Who says the NFL is considered publicly owned?

Anyone else think maybe they worked both deals simultaneously, hoping they'd recoup the pick they lost for Gonzo? Now we have no tight end, and far less depth at yet another critical position. Yeah I'm annoyed.

The guy wasn't even used every game. we got more draft picks to add depth in the future. this team was built throuhg the draft-it should continue that way.

Really? Who would trade a third-round pick for someone who hasn't seen the field? McCargo is a bust, I'm suprised we got something for him. Maybe we should have thrown this 4th and a 3rd at KC...of course that would mean making an effort to improve.

Last season McCargo showed flashes of becoming a solid DT. Obviously that didn't carry over into this season, but I was still hoping that we could get a 3rd. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess it doesn't really matter.

As for Gonzales, my understanding is that that trade fell apart because Gonzales didn't want to come here. I don't think the Bills were that interested in trading for a guy who didn't want to be here. You have to wonder whether he'd hold out, or if he'd would affect team chemistry, stuff like that. If you look at the initial value proposition of a 3rd rounder for a 32 year old TE, and if you take into account whatever problems we'd have because of Gonzales' desire to not be here, it's not all that attractive a deal.

Last season McCargo showed flashes of becoming a solid DT. Obviously that didn't carry over into this season, but I was still hoping that we could get a 3rd. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess it doesn't really matter.

As for Gonzales, my understanding is that that trade fell apart because Gonzales didn't want to come here. I don't think the Bills were that interested in trading for a guy who didn't want to be here. You have to wonder whether he'd hold out, or if he'd would affect team chemistry, stuff like that. If you look at the initial value proposition of a 3rd rounder for a 32 year old TE, and if you take into account whatever problems we'd have because of Gonzales' desire to not be here, it's not all that attractive a deal.

Can you blame him? I mean, if you weren't born here, why would you want to come here? :(

Check Ozzie Newsome's drafts since 1996. Or how about Indy's since Polian took over? Philly has a pretty good track record. The Giants are very good as well.

Resigning yourself to the fact that there are busts is not an excuse for having more than your fair share. I'd say having four of your eight (2000-2006) is more than normal. Considering Winfield and Clements left in UFA, and McGahee was traded, Buffalo has only Evans and Whitner to show from nine first rounders between 1999-2006.

It didn't matter which regime was in place, Butler, Donahoe, or Levauron calling the shots. Not all GM's/COO's are created equal.

I think the point was everyone has first round busts, i mean philly drafted mcdougle and freddie mitchell with mid first rounders, newsome picked kyle boller...... but it is true as well, not all gms are created equal, i never once agreed with the mccargo drafting, he benefited largely from playing on the same line in college as mario williams

Wow, Colts fans are terrible. There are like 4 posts about this on their board.

Would you be that excited about the Bills signing a guy like McCargo? BTW, what do they say?

Its 2 hours past the deadline and we don't know what the trade was? Why?

They only have to announce the trade not the compensation. Sometimes it can be several weeks before it's announced.

4th round pick per Schefter:

Bills trade McCargo to Colts

Posted: October 14th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, John McCargo

The Buffalo Bills traded defensive John McCargo to the Indianapolis Colts for a fourth-round pick. The Bills no longer had a need for McCargo and the Colts were starved for defensive tackles. Now they’ve acquired a talented one that underachieved in Buffalo.

I would have preferred a 3rd but a fourth is better than nothing. I wish it had at least been a conditional pick based upon playing time that started at a 4th.

I hear you. He must have REALLY pissed someone off (and repeatedly) for them to move him, given how thin they are at the position. That's the only thing I can think of.

I agree. There's a lot we don't know going on behind the scenes. It could be addition by subtraction and getting a fourth is gravy.

You are right on this of course.....

Every team busts....but it is unfortunate because McCargo actually showed signs of becoming a good player....

Then....something happened. Who knows what.

Maybe now we get to see what Chris Ellis brings to the team.

This FO always seems to have a plan.

And you would have complained if Bills didn't trade him for that compensation because he is a lazy, no talent player. When is the audition for WGR?

;)B-)

Really? Who would trade a third-round pick for someone who hasn't seen the field? McCargo is a bust, I'm suprised we got something for him. Maybe we should have thrown this 4th and a 3rd at KC...of course that would mean making an effort to improve.

:( Yeah, what has this FO done to prove they are trying to build a better team? The changes they've made have only led to a 4-1 record, dem bastids!

How did you find out that KC would have taken a fourth and third for Gonzalez? I'm guessing your source doesn't exist other than speculations made by the media. Nobody here knows what they were asking for or if in fact Gonzalez would have agreed to even come here?

You're kidding, right? Anything more than a 6th rounder should legally be considered theft. The guy was rated as a 3rd rounder by a lot of people coming out of college, has accomplished nothing since being drafted, didn't even dress opening day, has hardly been able to find playing time this year on a team that stresses DL rotation as much as anyone else in the league, and has done absolutely nothing with what snaps he has been given.

Now I understand why they were willing to go so thin at DT for the moment. They STOLE a 4th rounder from Polian here. Kudos, Brandon/Jauron.

They usually have a backup plan and will probably activate a player from their practice squad or someone elses.

Some people will never be able to be reached. I don't see how anyone can blame any problems from the Donahoe era on this front office. If the guy who had your job before you at work really sucked should you be blamed for his mistakes?

Thank God that lazy piece of crap is off this team. Props to the Bills for admitting a mistake. Here's crossing my fingers we got a 3rd rounder in return.

Post of the day. McCargo was Levy's worst move as GM even moreso that signing Larry Tripplett. At least Tripplett made an occasional play.

Thanx Marv. :(

What a D*ck comment. As if "other teams" get it right all the time. As if "other teams" are never disappointed that some guys turn out to be lazy. Marv deserves respect, even if it's from a-holes who don't deserve any themselves.

Yea, I'd like to have gotten more than a 4th round pick, but the guy wasn't able to see the field much, which says enough.

What a D*ck comment. As if "other teams" get it right all the time. As if "other teams" are never disappointed that some guys turn out to be lazy. Marv deserves respect, even if it's from a-holes who don't deserve any themselves.

Yea, I'd like to have gotten more than a 4th round pick, but the guy wasn't able to see the field much, which says enough.

Amen brutha. 4-1 isn't enough for some people. :(

When you pass on a blue-chip DT for a safety, then follow that up by trading a high 2nd and 3rd for the rights to a DT who was riding the coat tails of Manny Lawson and Mario Williams, you deserve some criticism.

Thanks Marv for hiring a great coach, picking Trent Edwards, and restoring some order to the franchise. But that draft was not a good one.

When you pass on a blue-chip DT for a safety, then follow that up by trading a high 2nd and 3rd for the rights to a DT who was riding the coat tails of Manny Lawson and Mario Williams, you deserve some criticism.

Thanks Marv for hiring a great coach, picking Trent Edwards, and restoring some order to the franchise. But that draft was not a good one.

In fairness McCargo has been a more productive nfl player the Manny Lawson. It's safe to say they both rid the coattails of Mario Williams. Some teams make poor misjudgements. The Jets drafting of Dewayne Robertson. The Chiefs drafting of Ryan Simms. Talk about someone who rid the coattails of an elite dend. McCargo showed flashes. Let's just hope Stroud doesnt miss time. This defense will go from average to god awful with zero interior linemen.

Whitner is a huge reason for this teams success, on and off the field. I have no questions about the pick.

Some people will never be able to be reached. I don't see how anyone can blame any problems from the Donahoe era on this front office. If the guy who had your job before you at work really sucked should you be blamed for his mistakes?

This first round issue, probably by virtue of having three separate (and four total) GM's since 2000 is also a reason behind it. All made mistakes, whether they were HOF coaches or guys who are loved only by Mortensen.

It's not all Donahoe's fault. It's also not all Butler's or Levy's. Small market teams just can't afford to miss out on those picks as easier as larger markets can. It's a complete franchise issue, and the result is missing the playoffs. I believe that will change in 2008, largely on the successful drafting in 07 and a few free agent signings.