Al Davis

"Fired for cause...." IIRC, didn't an owner near and dear to us try that once with Son of Bum. It took legal action for the remaining salary to be finally paid out, I believe .

Exactly. I'm not sure how Wade's contract was written, but Ralph claimed he didn't owe the balance because Wade was fired for "insubordination". Ralph told Wade to replace Ronnie Jones. Wade refused to do so, which to me sounds like clear cut "insubordination". However, Wade won his case. In my mind, what Wade did was a clearer indication of insubordination than anything Kiffin did so I would think the Kiffin will get his money. But then again, Old Al is pretty good in the courtroom.

I'm glad it's not my problem.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, they did make the Super Bowl five years ago, and could have made it the year before if not for an atrocious call. And they made they made the championship game the year before that (and lost in part because of a truly dirty play by Tony Siragusa). That's more than can be said for the Bills and many other teams ...

My condolences, I didn't realize you were such a Raiders fan...

In the end Davis owns the team and can do what he wants, but yesterday he showed he is unprofessional, vindictive, unable to shoulder any blame and living in an alternate reality - it was almost comical to hear.

Your entire post was right on the money, but you summed it up perfectly at the end with your last sentence! :thumbsup:

He reminds me of a more visible "Howard Hughes" a man who was once very important, relavant amd powerful but who has lost touch with reality. Senility?, Certainly he has the right to fire any of his employees , as he has done so many times in recent past, but to refuse to honor the balance of the contract is ludicrus. The man needs "professional" help.

While I can't speak for his mental health, I did see him getting into his limo after the game in Buffalo, He looked very frail and was using a walker.

He didn't look very happy after the loss to the Bills :thumbsup:.

He reminds me of a more visible "Howard Hughes" a man who was once very important, relavant amd powerful but who has lost touch with reality. Senility?, Certainly he has the right to fire any of his employees , as he has done so many times in recent past, but to refuse to honor the balance of the contract is ludicrus. The man needs "professional" help.

'Reality" and "Al Davis" have never belonged in the same sentence. Ever.

Have you heard of this thing called money? Trust me, they will be able to bring up almost any of the collegiate coaches looking for their break to the big leagues...

I think you're wrong here, unless they look to lesser schools. Why, for instance, would a Pete Carroll ever go coach for Davis? The Raiders' pool of coaches is going to be unproven NFL assistants looking for a shot and coaches at middling colleges. Maybe also some NFL retreads.

that is part of gobillsinytown's point; Davis's reputation as hiring, meddling, firing "with cause" and not paying means that thing called 'no money' will result

Kiffin might win in court, but Shanahan lost that fight a few years ago. Things have changed somewhat since then, but so far it's Davis 1 - Fired Coaches 0

I read an article this morning saying how Davis lost his bid to not pay Shanahan but still refuses to pay him. Apparently Shanhan even offered a compromise, saying Davis could donate the money to Oakland schools but Davis won't do that either.

EDIT: Here's a different link. I haven't found the original story I read this morning, and this one doesn't say anything about the status of the appeal. But since I read the other one this morning said that Shanahan has essentially given up hope on getting the money or the Oakland schools getting the money, I guess the appeal didn't work in Al's favor.

Mike Shanahan has won more regular-season games than any NFL coach over the past two seasons, but one battle he feels he'll never win is a financial dispute with his former boss, Raiders owner Al Davis. That's why Shanahan, coach of the 9-2 Broncos, has given up trying to collect the $250,000 he says Davis owes him under the contract Shanahan signed to become the Raiders' coach in 1988. Though the league has ruled in his favor, Shanahan this week will ask that Davis instead donate the money—plus interest—to the Oakland Unified School District. "It's a lot of money, but I'd rather see it go to the schoolchildren of Oakland," Shanahan says. "It's time to move on."

The $250,000 is what Shanahan says he was due when Davis fired him four games into the '89 season. According to Shanahan, Davis told him the money would be forthcoming—unless Shanahan took a job with the Broncos, for whom he had worked as an assistant before being hired by Davis. When Shanahan objected, he says Davis told him, "If I don't want to pay you, it'll cost you more money going through the court system than the money you'll get from the contract."

I read an article this morning saying how Davis lost his bid to not pay Shanahan but still refuses to pay him. Apparently Shanhan even offered a compromise, saying Davis could donate the money to Oakland schools but Davis won't do that either.

EDIT: Here's a different link. I haven't found the original story I read this morning, and this one doesn't say anything about the status of the appeal. But since I read the other one this morning said that Shanahan has essentially given up hope on getting the money or the Oakland schools getting the money, I guess the appeal didn't work in Al's favor.

Mike Shanahan has won more regular-season games than any NFL coach over the past two seasons, but one battle he feels he'll never win is a financial dispute with his former boss, Raiders owner Al Davis. That's why Shanahan, coach of the 9-2 Broncos, has given up trying to collect the $250,000 he says Davis owes him under the contract Shanahan signed to become the Raiders' coach in 1988. Though the league has ruled in his favor, Shanahan this week will ask that Davis instead donate the money—plus interest—to the Oakland Unified School District. "It's a lot of money, but I'd rather see it go to the schoolchildren of Oakland," Shanahan says. "It's time to move on."

The $250,000 is what Shanahan says he was due when Davis fired him four games into the '89 season. According to Shanahan, Davis told him the money would be forthcoming—unless Shanahan took a job with the Broncos, for whom he had worked as an assistant before being hired by Davis. When Shanahan objected, he says Davis told him, "If I don't want to pay you, it'll cost you more money going through the court system than the money you'll get from the contract."

wow, hadn't heard that, I thought Shanahan lost in court and couldn't collect. what a scumbag Davis is

wow, hadn't heard that, I thought Shanahan lost in court and couldn't collect. what a scumbag Davis is

I was surprised to read it as well. I just can't find the article right now - I got to the link from the Google News site and now there are 1500+ Al Davis articles linked on there...

I think you're wrong here, unless they look to lesser schools. Why, for instance, would a Pete Carroll ever go coach for Davis? The Raiders' pool of coaches is going to be unproven NFL assistants looking for a shot and coaches at middling colleges. Maybe also some NFL retreads.

I said college coaches who are "looking for their break to the big leagues..." obviously I didn't mean Pete Carroll...

Look argue with me, its fine, but that's not my point. My point was that to anyone who thinks no one will want to coach the raiders...well you're crazy. Every coach thinks highly of himself and his ability to coach a team to championships. Therefore no coach who has yet to prove himself will mind as much that Davis is a nut-job, because he knows that if he wins, Davis will not fire him. Its a really simple process. I'm just saying that people will still apply for that job, trust me.

Kiffin's $ are significantly more than Shanahan's. A good lawyer will get a judge to order seizure of something Davis owns and make Davis pay all court costs and all legal fees. Also a good judge will jail Davis for contempt if he doesn't comply with a court order. Don't go to the NFL, go to court. Go get him, Lane.

I said college coaches who are "looking for their break to the big leagues..." obviously I didn't mean Pete Carroll...

Look argue with me, its fine, but that's not my point. My point was that to anyone who thinks no one will want to coach the raiders...well you're crazy. Every coach thinks highly of himself and his ability to coach a team to championships. Therefore no coach who has yet to prove himself will mind as much that Davis is a nut-job, because he knows that if he wins, Davis will not fire him. Its a really simple process. I'm just saying that people will still apply for that job, trust me.

If the question is will Davis be able to find someone to coach the team, then yes, of course he will. He can go get the janitor that's cleaning his office to do the job. He can go find some pop warner or high school coach to take the job. Of course there will be somebody.

I think the obvious point is that it's going to be pretty damn difficult to find anyone that could actually do the job well to take it. Besides the fact that everyone can see how bad things are inside the organization, it seem Davis is trying his hardest to find a coach will just shut up and color. A year and a half ago Davis had almost nobody stepping up. He got turned down by the Offensive Coordinator from USC! So what do you do when the OC turns you down? Find an assistant with nothing better to do. What happens when that doesn't work out? Eh...the Oline coach will do (I'll give him a pass since it's interim)

I keep hearing that Lofton is interviewing and I hope it's not true. If it is, it shows how far gone Davis really is.