[OT] Baby names...

SDS

I would have been mortified with those initials as a teenager. Granted, I was a dork and had no self esteem, but STILL...

NOW, I think it would be a riot to have those initials. But definitely not then.

Would your wife notr marry you because of her new initials?

80090[/snapback]

Not a good comparison, scott. When you get married, you're 20+ (hopefully) and if someone makes fun of your initials, they are a jackass. But your daughter will have to go through ages 8-15 and those ages are tough. Kids will find something to pick on on EVERY kid. Don't give them something easy to start with.

My step son has the initials JAW and "Jaws" was a nickname he loved.

My oldest daugher was Amity Faith Benson - AFB - and one uncle always called her Air Force Base when she was little and she loved it.

Most people never really pay attention to initials, so go with the name you love.

If kids are going to tease her, they will find a reason. If it is not initials, it will be something else.

Just my 2 cents.

80263[/snapback]

Right, but why give them easy ammo? It might not do anything, but do you want her going through life hiding her middle name?

Also, the day you find out the kids at school officially call her PMS, you'll be pretty upset.

By the way, my initials are "too cool for school" they are: SDS :w00t:

You all realize that Scott's wife is reading these comments and we are all on her hit list.

Scott, many of us are older, not necessarily wiser, but certainly have some mileage that may help in your decision.

Good luck

You all realize that Scott's wife is reading these comments and we are all on her hit list.

Scott, many of us are older, not necessarily wiser, but certainly have some mileage that may help in your decision.

Good luck

80457[/snapback]

I think it would good for her to read it. Chances are, we were either the picked on, or those who did the picking. Most likely, we were both. And i don't think a girl with the initials PMS would be at the top of the list to be picked on, but if its even one day where she gets really picked on and gets upset about it, is it worth it?

I'm glad my wife and I decided that we aren't going to share the names under consideration with anyone. It's killing our parents that they don't know but we didn't want to get a negative reaction to names we might really like and have it influence our decision.

I'm glad my wife and I decided that we aren't going to share the names under consideration with anyone.  It's killing our parents that they don't know but we didn't want to get a negative reaction to names we might really like and have it influence our decision.

80488[/snapback]

But I would think you would want to know. I mean, just because you are in love with a name doesnt mean a child should have to suffer through it!

But I would think you would want to know. I mean, just because you are in love with a name doesnt mean a child should have to suffer through it!

80494[/snapback]

Oh I agree, but SDS already knew the initials could be a problem, he was just looking for some feedback. I'm talking about first names we might like that our parents, family or friends might wrinkle their nose at and make us think twice. My extended family has never been short on opinions, so we decided to cut them out completely from this decision. The teasing potential of any name is one of my biggest considerations for sure since kids can be brutally cruel to each other.

SDS to me always makes me think of sodium dodecyl sulfate, a detergent commonly used in the lab to denature proteins, but then again I'm a science geek.  :lol:

This is an interesting discussion since my wife and I have been throwing names around for our child due in early January.  I'll have to pay more attention now to any bad initial combinations.  I have already shot down a few suggestions my wife has made solely based the potential teasing factor in the future.

80111[/snapback]

I guess age matters also - SDS reminds me of the "Students Democratic Society"

I agree with those who say in the long run t won't matter, but in the short term it will. It think PMS is about the worst set of initials for a teenage girl. She is sure to get blasted unless nobody knows her middle name. Here are a few options:

1. Change your last name. Sarama looks like a random assortment of letters anyway. You could go with something common like Jones or Brown, or pick out something cool like Paup. I'd suggest just reversing it and going with Amaras. PMA won't get your daughter in trouble.

2. Reverse the first and middle names.

3. Go with "Doctor" for a middle name. Everyone can go around saying Paige Dr. Sarama. Sure, people might think there is always an emergency going on, but your daughter will think medicine is her destiny. Cushy retirement here you come. :lol:

4. stevestojan can the middle name and get a new one. We have two boys (one is Andrew, BTW) so we didn't get to use our girl names. One was Paige. Another was Helena (pronounced (hel-AY-na)). Go ahead and take advantage of our naming accumen if you wish with Paige Helena.

Insane to name a girl so the initials turn out to be PMS. It sounds like a punchline to a bad joke. PLEASE see what you can do to get this changed and have Mrs SDS wake from her dreamworld if she thinks the little girl won't catch flack because of this. Kids are cruel ...

On the intial thing... All of ours just worked out.

My wife first name is a B. Mine an E. My son is an E. My daughter is an L.

I just write all our names:

BEEe

(My daughters L happens to Lily... Get it lil e???)

I know it is lame but, it makes writing all our names easier... And you can use a bee for the logo...

:lol:

And no it WAS NOT intential. I guess it just happened.

Marge: What about Bart?

Homer: Let's see... Bart, Cart, Dart, Ee-art... Nope, can't see any problem with that!

I Married Marge

80588[/snapback]

Yeah, I tried looking for the full exchange between them, and all I could come up with was that quote. Funny how he didn't think of Fart! :)

I remember my mother-in-law telling me how she spent so much time thinking of the names kids call kids and decided that "We will name him Laurence and they will call him Larry" then Larry went to school and was called OX FOX. You never kow what name they will get but I'm glad I wasn't PMS. It's bad enough if you get it let alone be it.

Take it from one who knows, don't do it!  I have lived my life with the initials JRN, and it has affected me deeply.  I feel that I am emotionally scarred. :angry:

80806[/snapback]

Apparently, seeing as how you are now refering to yourself as the Lime Green Couch.