Were you with me in bashing DJ for benching Losman?

When Losman got hurt last year, and DJ decided to bench him based on 2 poor games after a pretty solid 2006 season, and one decent performance from Edwards against the Jests...I know I wasn't the only one flinging my excrement around. I believed in Losman after '06, and I didn't have much reason to believe in Edwards. Couldn't believe Jauron made that call to bench him for a ROOKIE after 2 bad games.

So right in the middle of the feel-good mood around here about where this team is headed with Edwards, I ask those of you who agreed (and as I recall it was more than half of us)...how do you feel about it now? If you could go back in time and change Jauron's decision, would you?

I can honestly say I was wrong about that one, and I'd leave it as is. Do others agree?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
When Losman got hurt last year, and DJ decided to bench him based on 2 poor games after a pretty solid 2006 season, and one decent performance from Edwards against the Jests...I know I wasn't the only one flinging my excrement around. I believed in Losman after '06, and I didn't have much reason to believe in Edwards. Couldn't believe Jauron made that call to bench him for a ROOKIE after 2 bad games.

So right in the middle of the feel-good mood around here about where this team is headed with Edwards, I ask those of you who agreed (and as I recall it was more than half of us)...how do you feel about it now? If you could go back in time and change Jauron's decision, would you?

I can honestly say I was wrong about that one, and I'd leave it as is. Do others agree?

I think if we had a good OC at the time ( Turk Shonert ) JP never gets benched, he goes on to have a succesfull career here in Buffalo.

You guys know I like JP allot, but TE is something special so I'm not saying JP is better then TE because with Brady out, I don't think anyone is. :angry:

I was for Losman starting and really wasn't impressed with Edwards. I can tell you the exact moment I changed my mind. It was during the Colts game. Edwards looked poised and ready to go. Losman looked like the same old Losman. I will say that Losman was horribly mishandled in his development and Edwards has the benefit of an offensive coordinator that seems to know how to mix things up and get the offense moving. I just think it's Edwards' team now and wish Losman luck in the future.

I was for Losman starting and really wasn't impressed with Edwards. I can tell you the exact moment I changed my mind. It was during the Colts game. Edwards looked poised and ready to go. Losman looked like the same old Losman. I will say that Losman was horribly mishandled in his development and Edwards has the benefit of an offensive coordinator that seems to know how to mix things up and get the offense moving. I just think it's Edwards' team now and wish Losman luck in the future.

That is the difference between the two in my opinion, Losman still needs to develop after 3-4 years in the NFL, Edwards was thrown in the fray as a rookie and was able to handle it mentally. Still makes mistakes, but I would say that he is maturing with each game. After the first quarter I think that he looked good yesterday.

I was thrilled when they benched JP and still am because of what we saw yesterday. Even if Trent has a poor few series'....you always get the feeling he has the fundamental tools to pull out of it. Also, another critical element is ball security. JP is always good for a fumble, INT and or huge sack at a crucial time of the game. I saw the "new and improved" Edwards being very ball security conscious yesterday.

Well, I liked Edwards from the start, so I know your question is not directed at those like myself. Edwards' decision making ability was evident from the get-go. He has a quick-release like Dan Marino used to have and doesn't take a lot of sacks. He's accurate and just needed more playing time.

That said, I also think Losman could probably perform well under Turk. I think Fairchild takes some blame here.

I just have this to say -- it's a helluva lot better debating the qualities of Edwards/Losman than it was debating the qualities of Flutie/Rob Johnson. I really feel we have 2 guys who can lead this team to their first playoff appearance in many years. I have complete confidence in both players under Turk. Even Hamdan looks great.

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

My thoughts exactly.

Color me crazy but I think it's a little early to be celebrating Jauron's indecisiveness of 2007 based on an efficient performance in the season opener.

BINGO.

I'll wait until the end of the season before I will evaluate the capabilities of Trent Edwards before passing judgement off on him.

What I'm looking for is any quarterback that isn't "just serviceable" but can actually elevate the players around him and be able to march the offense up the field and score TDs. I want Buffalo to have its own Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, etc.

not a Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson type that won't lose you games but won't win you any either.

wrt losmn:

every one who is a fan or a guy who covers the nfl in some way feels that losman stinks. the only exceptions are an ever diminishing group of bag handlers who feel that jp is a delicate flower of qb wonderment who was broken by the harsh hands of the buffalo front office.

My thoughts exactly.

Color me crazy but I think it's a little early to be celebrating Jauron's indecisiveness of 2007 based on an efficient performance in the season opener.

There was no celebrating anything.

This was just supposed to be one fan talking to a select group of his fellow fans. But forget that idea. Its a shame everyone here is so conditioned to break out the tar and feathers everytime they see 'Losman' and 'Edwards' in the same sentence. Don't really understand the backlash I got here. Whatever, lets just enjoy being undefeated. <_<

There was no celebrating anything.

This was just supposed to be one fan talking to a select group of his fellow fans. But forget that idea. Its a shame everyone here is so conditioned to break out the tar and feathers everytime they see 'Losman' and 'Edwards' in the same sentence. Don't really understand the backlash I got here. Whatever, lets just enjoy being undefeated. <_<

When i watched Edwards in the pre season last year i was impressed. When Edwards came in relief at Foxboro and marched the team down the field for a TD in his very first NFL regular season action, I was very impressed. At that time i was still very much in JPs corner and believed he would get his job back when healthy. Besides, Trent did not look to good after that first series against the pats.

It was after his first start against the jets that i knew that i had just seen a "real NFL QB". JP had a handful of good games and i seen him play well, but it was not the same. JP would hit some awsome deep balls and have a couple sweet scrambles, but the rest of the game i was on the edge of my seat hoping nothing bad was gonna happen.

I wish JP all the best next year, I think hes still gonna be good with a good system. I'm just not gonna deny what im seeing on the field, even if the stats are not there yet.