Wheres the props for the front office now?

marauderswr80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are losing in Jacksonville next week.

They have a very, very, winnable game this week- one that they should win, in fact.

How stupid do you have to be to applaud the front office for this before anything is seen on the field? If the Bills lose this game by 3 points, is there anybody out there that won't wonder what would have happened with a healthy and fit Peters on the field?

If Seattle wins, Buffalo starts 0-2. They'll pull off their usual run in October-November, get to their 7 wins, and that'll be it.

The fact is, while almost all of us think this team is capable of being a playoff contender, a good start (say, 3-2 or 4-1) is crucial for them. When you start the season expecting to win 10 games, and only 12 or 13 of the games on the schedule are winnable in the first place, and possibly lose one because your best player sits out even though he's healthy, it's not a medal of honor for the front office.

If they can beat Seattle, then win one or both of the games in St. Louis/Arizona, they'll look smart for the way they handled Peters. If they start 0-2, they won't make the playoffs. It's too early to applaud them for having their best player watching the game in street clothes on Sunday.

They have a very, very, winnable game this week- one that they should win, in fact.

How stupid do you have to be to applaud the front office for this before anything is seen on the field? If the Bills lose this game by 3 points, is there anybody out there that won't wonder what would have happened with a healthy and fit Peters on the field?

If Seattle wins, Buffalo starts 0-2. They'll pull off their usual run in October-November, get to their 7 wins, and that'll be it.

The fact is, while almost all of us think this team is capable of being a playoff contender, a good start (say, 3-2 or 4-1) is crucial for them. When you start the season expecting to win 10 games, and only 12 or 13 of the games on the schedule are winnable in the first place, and possibly lose one because your best player sits out even though he's healthy, it's not a medal of honor for the front office.

If they can beat Seattle, then win one or both of the games in St. Louis/Arizona, they'll look smart for the way they handled Peters. If they start 0-2, they won't make the playoffs. It's too early to applaud them for having their best player watching the game in street clothes on Sunday.

I should hope one player doenst make the TEAM. I liked how walker looked on the LT and chambers held his own and i applaud the Bills for their efforts, in the bigger scene they did the right thing

In view of the ridiculous decision to place Angelo Crowell on I.R. when he still hasn't had surgery and is seeking a second opinion, the front office deserves no props.

With regard to Jason Peters reporting to the team, too many fans are viewing this in a black and white context.

What if:

1) Trent Edwards goes down with a separated shoulder on Sunday versus the Seahawks due to poor pass protection?

2) The offensive line performs poorly for much of the early season because Peters wasn't here to learn the new system and become choreographed with his linemates?

3) The Bills' attractiveness as a free agent destination (like the Sabres) is diminished as a result of this?

It's too early to say that Peters reporting to the team is a victory for the front office. It could end up being a defeat (if one or more of the above happens). And if it is a victory, it's a hollow one and it's a strange person who would celebrate a "victory" in which each side lost.

What if: The sky starts falling!! :lol:

No one is saying the sky is falling. The basic sentiment is that only a shallow person would call this a victory for anyone.

This was a loss for both sides in terms of playing the game. But in terms of the Bills preventing other players from pulling the same tactic to immediately get a new contract, it was a victory for them.

If Seattle kicks a FG at the end of the game and the Bills lose by 3, are you saying Peters is the reason?

If Seattle kicks a FG at the end of the game and the Bills lose by 3, are you saying Peters is the reason?

Obviously, nobody could make this statement until after the game. If Walker and Chambers play like Art Shell and Bob Brown, the fault will lie elswhere.

Still, the scenario of the Bills losing a close game that they could have won with Peters in there is certainly plausible.

No one is saying the sky is falling. The basic sentiment is that only a shallow person would call this a victory for anyone.

i dont know about that.

the Bills managed to hold strong and turn Peters/Parker's little game around into a better position for themselves.

because of the way the Bills handled it, all Peters has managed to do is paint himself into a corner where he now MUST perform better than last year. and a Peters who performs better than last year is a mighty win for the Bills. one they probably wont mind paying for.

However, if Peters plays "well" but doesnt have another probowl season, then the Bills have a solid tackle who they dont need to break the bank for. They still may extend him, but not nearly at the cost of what Parker was "demanding" this year.

either way, the Bills FO has managed to strengthen either their team, or their negotiating position. with no determent to the team. theyve also shown him that they will not "negotiate with terrorists" so if he tries to pull this stunt again, he's just wasting his time.

all Peters has done is put himself under a ton of pressure to perform. he now has to PROVE IT.

i dont know about that.

the Bills managed to hold strong and turn Peters/Parker's little game around into a better position for themselves.

because of the way the Bills handled it, all Peters has managed to do is paint himself into a corner where he now MUST perform better than last year. and a Peters who performs better than last year is a mighty win for the Bills. one they probably wont mind paying for.

However, if Peters plays "well" but doesnt have another probowl season, then the Bills have a solid tackle who they dont need to break the bank for. They still may extend him, but not nearly at the cost of what Parker was "demanding" this year.

either way, the Bills FO has managed to strengthen either their team, or their negotiating position. with no determent to the team. theyve also shown him that they will not "negotiate with terrorists" so if he tries to pull this stunt again, he's just wasting his time.

all Peters has done is put himself under a ton of pressure to perform. he now has to PROVE IT.

What if Peters simply performs as well as he is expected to be, is named to the Pro Bowl, and then says, "Okay, we were underpaid last year and everyone knew it, and we were underpaid this year and everyone knew it, we are not going to be underpaid in 2009. You guys have to break the bank. We came in last year before the first game because you agreed to negotiate in good faith. You didnt pay him at the top of the league, which he is. We're not going to be the nice guys this year, and the team and the fans are going to be on our side this time and you know it."

Which, if he plays well, is exactly what they're likely to say, and why wouldn't they?

What if Peters simply performs as well as he is expected to be, is named to the Pro Bowl, and then says, "Okay, we were underpaid last year and everyone knew it, and we were underpaid this year and everyone knew it, we are not going to be underpaid in 2009. You guys have to break the bank. We came in last year before the first game because you agreed to negotiate in good faith. You didnt pay him at the top of the league, which he is. We're not going to be the nice guys this year, and the team and the fans are going to be on our side this time and you know it."

Which, if he plays well, is exactly what they're likely to say, and why wouldn't they?

if he has another ProBowl season, then the Bills should make him the highest paid man on the line. and extend his contract to a 5-6

year deal.

thats what i meant by "and a Peters who performs better than last year is a mighty win for the Bills. one they probably wont mind paying for."

but it is now on Peters to prove that. so if he does, the Bills win...

in terms of playing time it wasn't a good thing, no body wins and hopefully he will be back and good all season (as in he won't get hurt). It may well have improved the rest of the line getting all of his reps or filling in.

I think the FO did the right thing, but GOD am I glad it is over!

if he has another ProBowl season, then the Bills should make him the highest paid man on the line. and extend his contract to a 5-6

year deal.

thats what i meant by "and a Peters who performs better than last year is a mighty win for the Bills. one they probably wont mind paying for."

but it is now on Peters to prove that. so if he does, the Bills win...

True. And I believe they did the right thing. But I don't necessarily believe, like you said, this automatically puts them in a better position. I think if Peters plays well, it puts the holdout in the better position. And the Bills will have to really break the bank for him. Like the 9-10 mil a year.

Like, for instance, if he just came to camp this year and was a happy camper like most everyone here seemed to think he should, then had another Pro Bowl year, the Bills could have said in next years off season, Look, you still have two years left on your deal. We'll give you a big extension you're obviously worth, but it doesn't start until next year. Which is what they are saying this year. And Peters really couldn't do much. He'd be in the same position he is in now, having to show up to camp right before the season started.

But now, since they already went through that, the Peters camp can say, we were the nice guys last year, and you saw our resolve. This year were not going to be the nice guys and you are going to have a revolt in your locker room and fan base.

True. And I believe they did the right thing. But I don't necessarily believe, like you said, this automatically puts them in a better position. I think if Peters plays well, it puts the holdout in the better position. And the Bills will have to really break the bank for him. Like the 9-10 mil a year.

excuse my ignorance on the details of this, but what would they have to pay him to make him the highest paid guy on the line?

also, im not saying that they helped their negotiating position if he shows up and has a great season. what i mean there is, if he DOES have a great season, that should translate directly into more wins and a better Bills team. so the Bills win there. and therefore, they should have no issues with paying him well. they did it with Schobel, but after his years of consistency.

in this scenario, the "Bills win" is literally more Bills wins

excuse my ignorance on the details of this, but what would they have to pay him to make him the highest paid guy on the line?

also, im not saying that they helped their negotiating position if he shows up and has a great season. what i mean there is, if he DOES have a great season, that should translate directly into more wins and a better Bills team. so the Bills win there. and therefore, they should have no issues with paying him well. they did it with Schobel, but after his years of consistency.

More than this.

I see. I took it a different way. I agree with you. Making him the highest paid lineman on the team would be a little over 7 mil a year. I think he asks for a little over 10 mil a year if he has a Pro Bowl year again. And I edited my post above to you and added this, the reason I think the holdout was still a good move by the bad guys:

"Like, for instance, if he just came to camp this year and was a happy camper like most everyone here seemed to think he should, then had another Pro Bowl year, the Bills could have said in next years off season, Look, you still have two years left on your deal. We'll give you a big extension you're obviously worth, but it doesn't start until next year. Which is what they are saying this year. And Peters really couldn't do much. He'd be in the same position he is in now, having to show up to camp right before the season started.

But now, since they already went through that, the Peters camp can say, we were the nice guys last year, and you saw our resolve. This year were not going to be the nice guys and you are going to have a revolt in your locker room and fan base."