Lee Evans

Here's another take: What if Evans' agent doesn't roll over and wants to hold the Bills feet to the fire? The Bills offense was horrible last year and Evans did not have a great season. If I'm Evans agent, I'm telling him, "Let's listen to their offers. If it's killer, we can consider it. If it's nothing special, then let's test the market. If they can't use you in Buffalo, we'll find another team that will."

Here's another take: What if Evans' agent doesn't roll over and wants to hold the Bills feet to the fire? The Bills offense was horrible last year and Evans did not have a great season. If I'm Evans agent, I'm telling him, "Let's listen to their offers. If it's killer, we can consider it. If it's nothing special, then let's test the market. If they can't use you in Buffalo, we'll find another team that will."

this is what i would most likely believe if he isnt signed by the bye week. there are a lot of WR in the NFL but not a lot of good ones. with the run-up in the WR market (thanks to Al Davis), Evans would almost be stupid not to at least see what else is offered. its unfortunate for the Bills, but thats the system agreed to in the CBA.

Guest dog14787
So what are the odds that the Bills will re-sign Lee Evans? His contract is up soon, and knowing Ralph, I could see the Bills letting him slip away(i hope not). they're great at losing their first rounders.

I ask because I don't know if i should buy a Lee Evans jersey this year. I hate having jerseys of players the bills traded. any thoughts?

Get the Jersey, Lee Evans isn't going anywhere :lol:

I agree.

Just playing devil's advocate. What if the Bills decide that Evans wants "too much" and/or someone else will fit their system better? Evans best was when he was paired with Losman, and you can't say they haven't turned the page on the Losman experiment.

Recall, Edwards visited Evans over the offseason and the two have "sync'd up" -- they've also been money in camp. I don't think Losman is an issue in that regard.

What system wouldn't Evans fit? He's a smart player and the only desired physical attribute he lacks is height.

He's not worth the franchise tag, sorry to bust anyone's bubble. The best WRs find ways to produce, as evidence by a guy like Steve Smith. Evans is not that caliber and paying him like a top 5 WR is not smart.

Emotionally we want to keep him, but not at a high price point. He's not worth Larry Fitz money, and he's should get paid like Bernard Berrian (who was over-paid.

Hmm...a guy who catches everything thrown at him and has the ability to take any catch the distance. Yep, I'd say that's what the Bills want in a #1 WR.

We agree!

I think I hear angels playing harps, could this just be a dream?

He's not worth the franchise tag, sorry to bust anyone's bubble. The best WRs find ways to produce, as evidence by a guy like Steve Smith. Evans is not that caliber and paying him like a top 5 WR is not smart.

Emotionally we want to keep him, but not at a high price point. He's not worth Larry Fitz money, and he's should get paid like Bernard Berrian (who was over-paid.

I agree, he is definitely a guy you want to keep, and has been very productive. He just isn't in the elite class. He is close though.

Guest dog14787
With Edwards throwing to him, he never gets to elite.

wheresthefaith, sure he will :lol: TE / Lee Evans will start resembling Manning / Harrison, or Brady / Moss in the not so distant future :lol:

The only things holding Evans back from being considered "elite" are the Bills' inconsistency at QB and the ridiculous offense run by Fairchild. That he put up any numbers at all speaks volumes to his productivity.

You don't have to believe me now. Come talk to me after this season.

The only things holding Evans back from being considered "elite" are the Bills' inconsistency at QB and the ridiculous offense run by Fairchild. That he put up any numbers at all speaks volumes to his productivity.

You don't have to believe me now. Come talk to me after this season.

Fair enough- we will soon see where he stands.

Why the pessimism? You ruined a solid, logical post with the last part. All reports are that the two sides are working amicably towards an extension. The odds are 80/20 at worst.

Is it pessimism e-man? Maybe it is, or could it be realism, no? The OP has a point. Start at 1997, and tell me how many 1st round picks stayed on the team after their original contract. Not a lot, huh?

Now, let me beat you to the punch by stating that no, this isn't all bad. For instance, the deal involving MaGahee was a steal for the Bills. Also, a couple of the picks were just awful. Still, we lost Winfield and Clements (after the franchise tag and the "promise"), choosing instead to continue to chase corners early in the draft.

We did need another receiver, and hopefully Hardy can play. Still, I hope that the idea was to bolster the ranks instead of losing Evans and starting from scratch.

See what I mean?

Is it pessimism e-man? Maybe it is, or could it be realism, no? The OP has a point. Start at 1997, and tell me how many 1st round picks stayed on the team after their original contract. Not a lot, huh?

Now, let me beat you to the punch by stating that no, this isn't all bad. For instance, the deal involving MaGahee was a steal for the Bills. Also, a couple of the picks were just awful. Still, we lost Winfield and Clements (after the franchise tag and the "promise"), choosing instead to continue to chase corners early in the draft.

We did need another receiver, and hopefully Hardy can play. Still, I hope that the idea was to bolster the ranks instead of losing Evans and starting from scratch.

See what I mean?

Not really. Winfield was a different administration so I throw that out the door. Clements was a financial decision (one I agree with, by the way). There is no recent history that equates to the public show of cooperation between the Bills and Evans regarding contract talks. That's why I see no "realism" in what you're saying.

http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/sports/x1532154107

-Taken from this article (about a week ago):

“Evans is entering the final year of his contract, but, unlike Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters’ situation, it has not been a concern.

“There has been some dialogue back and forth and that is certainly good news,” Evans said early in camp. “We are moving in the right direction on that, so hopefully we can get a deal done. Last time there was some stuff out there, but there wasn’t a lot of dialogue, so there definitely has been some progress.”

Peters, who still has three years left on his contract, has been a no-show thus far in camp, as well as all offseason workouts, cutting off all communications with the team. He is the only Pro Bowler on the offensive line, but is the lowest-paid and is looking for a raise.

Evans, though, would not compare his situation to Peters’

“Everybody handles things differently and for him, that’s the way he sees it and his way of handling it,” Evans said. “It’s not for me to comment on though. It is really his business and I really don’t know a whole lot about it, but that’s why he is handling it and hopefully something gets done soon so we can get him out here.”

While there is no end in sight to the Peters’ squabble with less than three weeks before the regular season begins, Evans has been hopeful his contract situation could be finished soon.

“It would be big to get that behind you and to move forward,” Evans said. “All that stuff is somewhat out of my hands, so I just try and control the things I can and go from there.”

-From the ESPN article about Peters lacking a cheering section:

"I don't think this makes sense," said one agent who represents a Bills player affected by Peters' holdout. "Holding out right now is negative in a lot of ways."

-I personally wonder if this is Lee’s agent and the Bills are holding up his contract in hopes of working something out with Peters. Regardless, the tone of the Evans article makes me believe he’ll be staying and that definitely puts my mind at ease.