If Peters doesn't show

What would happen? Is he on some sort of inactive list? Does he still take up a roster spot? How does this work?

At all of junctures in the offseason - minicamps, training camp, preseason games, now back in OP, his (agent's) lack of communication is absurd.

I figured when they came back to the Ralph that we'd at least hear from him.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen? Is he on some sort of inactive list? Does he still take up a roster spot? How does this work?

At all of junctures in the offseason - minicamps, training camp, preseason games, now back in OP, his (agent's) lack of communication is absurd.

I hope that this lack of communication isn't because Peters is either (A) injured or (B) has a mental health disorder, I hate to project both thoughts but this is getting out of hand.

If he doesn't show he doesn't get paid the millions of $ he's under contract to make. It's a lot easier not showing up for camp than it is the regular season. He'll show.

I agree that it would be irrational of him not to report to the team before the first regular season game. But at this point I don't think it's completely impossible.

In that unlikely event, what happens to his roster spot? The last time I remember this is when Emmitt Smith did it in the early nineties.

I believe he goes on the Incredibly Stupid/Unable To Perform list. B-)

Link - Peters making all the wrong moves

Right now he's on the IR/DNR (Did Not Report) list, so he doesn't take a roster spot - which is why we're able to still have 80 hardworking guys busting their asses to make the squad and hopefully take the team to the next level.

If you place a guy on IR, he can't play or practice for the rest of the season (unless you're the Cheatriots*), but I have no idea how DNR works during the regular season. Also, players on IR receive their salary but don't take up a roster spot. Don't know if the Bills have to keep a roster spot for Peckerhead to avoid paying him his game checks after they recover the $450K in fines and go after his signing bonus $$$ - but I'm sure they'll do whatever is necessary to avoid paying the bum if he breaches his contract and holds out into the season.

If the Bills place Peters on the IR/DNR list during the regular season, is he lost for the season or just til his brain starts functioning? Anyone know? I can't find anything on this - even on the NFLPA site.

It's a very bizarre situation, but I'm sure Parker's on top of all this - he's handled everything else so brilliantly. :rolleyes:

The Bills should get dirty. Go after Peters' signing bonus. Why not? Peters can sit for three years and he will still belong to the Bills for another three years. Take away all his money and see if he sits. The Bills have all the power in this situation. They are entitled to Jason's signing bonus. If Peters wants his dough, he can show up and then talk about a new deal. It's that simple.

If he doesn't show he doesn't get paid the millions of $ he's under contract to make. It's a lot easier not showing up for camp than it is the regular season. He'll show.

Yes...Once the regular season starts, Peters will start his weekly game checks which are much bigger than the 15K he is losing now.

It's a good question but I would not worry about it until about Wednesday of next week. Peters and his agent will throw in their cards because they violated the first rule of negotiations. They negotiated from a position of weakness.

Just remember I called it exactly right when it happens.

The Bills should get dirty. Go after Peters' signing bonus. Why not? Peters can sit for three years and he will still belong to the Bills for another three years. Take away all his money and see if he sits. The Bills have all the power in this situation. They are entitled to Jason's signing bonus. If Peters wants his dough, he can show up and then talk about a new deal. It's that simple.

For as hardazz as this sounds, AND for as important as he can be for this team, I'm beginning to come around to this line of thinking as well.. Screw him! Bar the doors. Go after his bonus and take the stance that 'since you don't want to be here, we're gonna oblige you'. Topps is hiring.

dammit... :rolleyes:

Yes...Once the regular season starts, Peters will start his weekly game checks which are much bigger than the 15K he is losing now.

considering he is into the Bills for almost half-a-million in fines, even if he reports he wont be making money until October or so.

what a dumbass

He would lose his game check of ~ $187,500 for each game he misses and if he does not report by a certain date in the season, he doe not get credit for a year of service on his contract, meaning that next season he would still have 3 years left. Basically him not reporting = professional suicide. It would be very dumb of him to throw away about 2 million dollars or so to "prove a point", while still having the same problem next year...

For as hardazz as this sounds, AND for as important as he can be for this team, I'm beginning to come around to this line of thinking as well.. Screw him! Bar the doors. Go after his bonus and take the stance that 'since you don't want to be here, we're gonna oblige you'. Topps is hiring.

dammit... :rolleyes:

I never thought this would last as long as it has. I hope the bills continue their hardline stance & do not even think about renegotiating his contract this year.

Except that you know the Players Assosiation and the league would not stand for it and that all he would have to do is ask for a trade and if the Bills continue to take a hard stance on him they would force them to do something saying its not fair that they are keeping him from playing

It's a lot easier not showing up for camp than it is the regular season. He'll show.

I think so too. I am pretty sure Parker is a new agent for Peters and therefore he wants a piece of the action which he will get when Peters gets a new contract, but it is clear the Bills aren't giving in and the best advice Parker can give Peters at this point is to report and then see if the Bills will talk about a renegotiated deal.

Except that you know the Players Assosiation and the league would not stand for it and that all he would have to do is ask for a trade and if the Bills continue to take a hard stance on him they would force them to do something saying its not fair that they are keeping him from playing

I doubt it. The NFLPA would squawk, but it wouldn't matter. The Bills aren't keeping him from playing, he's voluntarily staying home.

Peters is under contract to the Bills and is their asset for at least three years. He reports or he doesn't play.

I'd be just as pissed if they bowed to his demands by trading him somewhere else who will renegotiate with him. It would set the same dangerous precedent as caving in to his demands.

Closer to three, actually, unless he gets his stupid sorry ass to OP today...

$15,000 x 32 days - $480K

Fine for missing OTA - $8K

Weekly paycheck - $191K

You do the math.

I hope that they don't waive these fines.

I wonder what the payment schedule is like too. Are these fines immediately collectible? If so, I wouldn't let him in the facility until we get a check for $400K up front. (Yeah, I'm bitter)