My challenge to Edwards tonight

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not saying that. My point is that Dick Jauron & staff have made their decision. Trent Edwards is the starting QB. He obviously is showing enough good signs in mini camp and training camp to make the decision clear cut. I'd love to see him lead the team to two TD's tonight in one Qtr of action. I want to see production in game #1 against Seattle. That's whats important to me (and I'm guessing Jauron too). I'm not really worried about a preseaon game vs. Pitt. Once the regular season begins we will have absolutely no memory of these games unless someone gets hurt (ala Charlie Batch last week).

Contrary to popular belief Preseason matters. The redskins played their second preseason game against us and the looked sharp in that game and in the first. That is with a whole new coaching staff too, Now dont you think the Redskins are a little more confident that what the coaches keep telling them is working? jason Cambell might be more confident in the season opener because he had success in the preseason.

This isnt a veteren team. This team is young and inexpierenced. Every snap matters, Every read counts because if Trent or this team is struggling to do this against pretty simple offenses and defenses whats gonna happen when the lights are on and the games count. trent did not blow away the competition last year (i mean the other teams) He had not outstanding numbers and Lindell was my number one fantasy player last year. The extra reps could really help this team. I honestly would love to see edwards play the whole game if thats what it takes for him to be ready. If we don't make the playoffs this year DJ could be fired and we start from scratch again. I think i speak for all Bills fans when i say we dont want that

Contrary to popular belief Preseason matters. The redskins played their second preseason game against us and the looked sharp in that game and in the first. That is with a whole new coaching staff too, Now dont you think the Redskins are a little more confident that what the coaches keep telling them is working? jason Cambell might be more confident in the season opener because he had success in the preseason.

This isnt a veteren team. This team is young and inexpierenced. Every snap matters, Every read counts because if Trent or this team is struggling to do this against pretty simple offenses and defenses whats gonna happen when the lights are on and the games count. trent did not blow away the competition last year (i mean the other teams) He had not outstanding numbers and Lindell was my number one fantasy player last year. The extra reps could really help this team. I honestly would love to see edwards play the whole game if thats what it takes for him to be ready. If we don't make the playoffs this year DJ could be fired and we start from scratch again. I think i speak for all Bills fans when i say we dont want that

I agree that Washington looked much more polished than Buffalo in that game. It definitely looked like they had a game under their belts and the Bills were shaking the rust off. What Buffalo needs is to NOT have another heart breaking last second loss in the home opener and start the season 1-0. That's why I am not getting worked up over Trent Edwards' preseason. The Redskins could get off to a 1-3 start while the Bills go to 3-1. No one will have a memory of that game lat week. These games have no bearing on how the regular season will shake out. Preseason matters to get timing down and to solidify roster spots.

This isnt a veteren team. This team is young and inexpierenced. Every snap matters, Every read counts because if Trent or this team is struggling to do this against pretty simple offenses and defenses whats gonna happen when the lights are on and the games count. trent did not blow away the competition last year (i mean the other teams) He had not outstanding numbers and Lindell was my number one fantasy player last year. The extra reps could really help this team.

I agree on all counts.

Are you saying that asking for 1 TD out of the starting offense in the second preseason game is asking too much?

I'm not sure if the NFL keeps stats on how many points an offense puts up under each QB, but Trent's point production so far is, in my recollection, alarmingly low. I would like to see some progress in that category.

I agree completely. If the 1st team offense looks pathetic and cannot score a TD during it's shortened playing time during the pre-season, maybe we need a few different players on the 1st team. These are the same offensive players, basically, that had a very difficult time scoring last year. I don't care if it's pre-season or not, if they can't fix the same problems as they had last year, it might be time to make changes. Pre-season is for learning, fixing and improving, not same ole, same ole and don't get hurt.

I will be there September 7th, watching TE and this offense play against a very mediocre Seattle team (IMO). If they pussyfoot around all pre-season without improving off of last year, which shouldn't be hard to do, I don't thinks it's uncalled for to ask for a change at QB. Flame away TE lovers but I have watched the Bills long enough to know that TE is better than Joe Dufek but he really compares well to Todd Collins in his first season starting. Collins has him in yards but TE's ability to avoid a sack is better. Still, TE's lack of production is glaring and Collins made the playoffs his first year starting.

Player G Att Cmp Pct Tot

Trent Edwards 10 269 151 56.1 1630 7TD's 8 INT's 12 Sacks

Todd Collins 14 391 215 55.0 2367 12TD's 13INT's 28 Sacks

I am not a JP die-hard by any means, I'm just a Bills fan that is sick of barely attaining mediocrity and seeing less than average production from the QB position since Bledsoe, and I really didn't think Bledsoe was anything more than a decent QB.

Excellent points, HR. Last year I was of the 'preseason dosen't matter' school of thought, recalling the days of Marv I when we'd go 0-4 in the preseason and still get to the Superbowl. This very young squad is a far cry from those days. Last year's sub-par preseason play - inept play-calling, inability to score, sustain a drive, or stop the opposing offense - seemed to carry right into the regular season. That's what worries me - what I'm most afraid will happen again. I'd like to have a better idea, before Sept. 7th, if Edwards can truly manage the O, move the team downfield, make big plays when necessary, score TDs from the red zone, if Hardy can run routes, etc., etc. I'll be very worried going into the regular season if we don't see any signs of improvement over last season in these pre-season games.

That isn't too far from being a good plan. It is hard to understand why some fans "just want to make sure the QB doesn't get hurt". If this guy gets hurt in preseson then way it goes. You can't pamper these players they get paid to get hit. Football is not for the timid, it is a violent game. Edwards had better light up the field tonight and show that he has some ability to be a QB. Poise only is not going to do it in this league, you must be a playmaker or be a backup. Edwards is looking a lot like a backup QB and not a starter.

I don't know if we have a QB on our roster who really looks like a starter. But Edwards needs to come out tonight and play with confidence and poise, and look down the field instead of the two yard dump off to Schauman when he is blanketed. Regardless if it is preseason or not, Trent needs to take control to give his teammates confidence that he is their leader who can get the job done. This offense needs Trent to step up and start making plays, and make it "his offense". A little swagger by him would go a long way for everyone on the team.

I can agree to that............

But honestly, it cant rest all on Trent's shoulders. What id like to see is Buffalo start from the 20, take it 80 yards and 11-15 plays for a TD with taking roughly 5-8 minutes off the clock!

I want to see them start a drive and finish it with time taken off the clock with 7 points not 3, If I can see that against the Steelers starters, id be happy!

I know TE will have limited playing time but it would be nice to see him lead the offense to a TD. At this point I don't care if it's a Marshawn dive from the 1 yard line, or a 40-yd TD pass to Evans. I just want to see this offense, led by Edwards, score a TD.

Is that asking too much?

I'd settle for sustained drives of around 8 minutes. And a TD to top it off would be nice. .

I'd settle for sustained drives of around 8 minutes. And a TD to top it off would be nice. .

I can't see that happening- sustained drives usually are the mark of a team with a good offensive line and decisive quarterback. Our line is terrible and our QB is very young.

The mark of a good offense is decisiveness- watch the good teams- the QB already knows where to unload the ball to when he completes his drop and the RB consistently runs to the right hole. For years there has been no decisiveness on our offense and a lot of confusion and hesitation by our RB and QB's

I really do not believe a TD is THE most important thing we want to see: I want to see a cohesive offensive unit where Trent makes soeme nice throws and keeps the offense on the field. Sure, a TD would be great, but developing a rhythm with the receivers and getting the running game going is more imporant.

Say Edwards is oh, 6-10 for 87 yards...something like that....

Another 1-5 clunker and the whispers for JP might creep up in the locker room. Another 1-5 performance here and this place will be a madhouse

I really do not believe a TD is THE most important thing we want to see: I want to see a cohesive offensive unit where Trent makes soeme nice throws and keeps the offense on the field. Sure, a TD would be great, but developing a rhythm with the receivers and getting the running game going is more imporant.

Say Edwards is oh, 6-10 for 87 yards...something like that....

Another 1-5 clunker and the whispers for JP might creep up in the locker room. Another 1-5 performance here and this place will be a madhouse

He could go 10-10 for 90 yards and ist will mean just the same as 1-5 if they settle for 3 instead of 7

I don't care if the QB goes 1-5 on every drive, if the drive ends with the Bills putting 7 on the board instead of punting it away, or settling with 3

I can't see that happening- sustained drives usually are the mark of a team with a good offensive line and decisive quarterback. Our line is terrible and our QB is very young.

The mark of a good offense is decisiveness- watch the good teams- the QB already knows where to unload the ball to when he completes his drop and the RB consistently runs to the right hole. For years there has been no decisiveness on our offense and a lot of confusion and hesitation by our RB and QB's

I agree but all that comes from the top of the management tree. Are we trying to win or are we trying to do enough just to sell tickets? If you think about it, its a great business model. Pay long enough to almost win a Super Bowl and then just tinker with other peoples money while your jackpot continues to grow.

I agree but all that comes from the top of the management tree. Are we trying to win or are we trying to do enough just to sell tickets? If you think about it, its a great business model. Pay long enough to almost win a Super Bowl and then just tinker with other peoples money while your jackpot continues to grow.

I really think they are trying to win, but knowing that you need to improve your line is one thing- getting the opportunity to acquire those players is another. Sure, you can say Ngata, et al. was there, but we passed on that, and you don't get the benefit of hindsight. Our DT's aren't good enough and neither is our DE's. Fowler was brought in to be a stopgap, but we never found an adequate replacement. You can change QB's every year, but until the line is fixed, it won't matter

I honestly would love to see edwards play the whole game if thats what it takes for him to be ready. If we don't make the playoffs this year DJ could be fired and we start from scratch again. I think i speak for all Bills fans when i say we dont want that.

Is that right? Have you ever seen this before? I mean ever; has any team ever done something that stupid? Why on earth would a team play its starting qb for an entire preseason game? So he can get hurt, and a second string scrub takes the field? :ph34r: Seriously, wtf are you thinking?

I can guess.....this is a wish for Trent to get hurt so that Mr. 10 Career Wins can save us, right?

Seriously, the Bills are without their pro bowl LT. Why risk injury any more than need be? I hope that Trent plays enough to loosen up and get familiar with Hardy, etc. After that, it is time for the scrubs.

As for Jauron getting fired, I hope he gets this team to the playoffs. If he does he probably stays. In this sense, I hope we keep him. Other than that, he truly does need to hit the road abd be a defensive backs assistant coach somewhere else. If an NFL hires him as a headcoach, or even a DC, I would be shocked. How about you?

Every snap matters, Every read counts because if Trent or this team is struggling to do this against pretty simple offenses and defenses whats gonna happen when the lights are on and the games count.

I really think they ought to consider turning the lights on in the dome tonight. That's not fair to either team.

If the fact that one starter on the OL not playing is enough to turn the other 4 into collective trash, it will be a long, sorry, season... :ph34r:

SIC, do you think that any team, let alone the Bills, can replace a pro bowl LT just like that?

The Bills were already not at all strong at OC. Their RG has much to prove, and there is absolutely no depth whatsoever at any OL position. With Peters, the Bills OL is pretty good, though painfully thin. Still, it is better than Bills Fans have seen in 10 years or more. Without Peters, the OL is once again a major weakness.

This is the path chosen by Levy/Jauron.