Jauron is NOT the coach for this team, and here is why (stats)

Jauron did NOT start coaching yesterday, folks. In fact, he has been a head coach in 117 games. Surprisingly, he is one of only 83 coaches all-time to accomplish that feat (100+ games).

Given that fact, it is surely fair to examine his record and see how he matches up. After all, that's a LARGE body of work, as NFL head coaches go.

So how does he compare to the others in the 100+ game club?

The numbers tell a grim tale.

Of the 83 coaches in this group ALL TIME (100+ games coached) Jauron has a better winning percentage than only 9! Put another way, 73 of the 83 coaches to coach 100+ games have a BETTER w/l record than Jauron (he ranks 74/83).

Here is the list of coaches that coached 100+ games, and had a WORSE winning percentage than Dick Jauron currently has:

(For the record: Jauron's numbers are listed at the top of the table)

Coach................................games coached....win %.....# of playoff games

Dick Jauron (see above)........117....................43%..........1

Dan Henning........................112....................34%......... 0

Marion Campbell...................115....................30%......... 0

Ray Perkins.........................117....................36%..........2

Leeman Bennett...................119....................42%..........4

Bruce Coslett.......................124....................38%.........1

Joe Kuharich........................142....................42%.........0

Dom Capers.........................128....................38%.........2

John McKay.........................133....................33%.........4

Bart Starr............................131....................41%.........2

Not exactly a "who's who" of great coaches.

THIS (along with my observations of POOR game day decisions and lackluster training camps) is why I say that Dick Jauron is simply never going to be a successful NFL head coach.

There are those who say "Jauron is a good coach." Based on WHAT?

How else can you measure success in the NFL other than wins and losses? (Sorry but "he's a nice guy and he really loves football" doesn't count).

Almost doesn't count, looking cool on the sidelines doesn't count, being a great guy doesn't count, and "being smart" doesn't count either.

When it comes to wins and losses, the list above is the list of coaches to go 100+ games who Jauron has been more successful than.

A few of them even have MORE playoff games than he does.

Just facts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jauron did NOT start coaching yesterday, folks. In fact, he has been a head coach in 117 games. Surprisingly, he is one of only 83 coaches all-time to accomplish that feat (100+ games).

Given that fact, it is surely fair to examine his record and see how he matches up. After all, that's a LARGE body of work, as NFL head coaches go.

Of the 83 coaches in this group ALL TIME (100+ games coached) Jauron has a better winning percentage than only 9! Put another way, 73 of the 83 coaches to coach 100+ games have a BETTER w/l record than Jauron (he ranks 74/83).

Here is the list of coaches that coached 100+ games, and had a WORSE winning percentage than Dick Jauron currently has:

Coach................................games coached....win %.....# of playoff games

THIS (along with my observations of POOR game day decisions and lackluster training camps) is why I say that Dick Jauron is simply never going to be a successful NFL head coach.

How else can you measure success in the NFL other than wins and losses? (Sorry but "he's a nice guy and he really loves football" doesn't count).

Almost doesn't count, looking cool on the sidelines doesn't count, being a great guy doesn't count, and "being smart" doesn't count either.

When it comes to wins and losses, the list above is the list of coaches to go 100+ games who Jauron has been more successful than.

Just facts.

He has also never had a good team to coach, the best QB hes ever had was Jim Miller- a very bad one, he had a great defense in chicago but an aweful offense, in Detroit and Buffalo hes had a horrible Offense and Defense, Its hard to be a great play caller when your team cant execute a basic dive play. he won 7 games last year with his biggest names leaving in free agency, giving him one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and not only that we had the most injury plagued team in the NFL. You can look at statistics all you want but if your not willing to consider what hes had to work with thats incredibly ignorant.

Just facts.

I takes some real guts to post something like this on a board that accepts only positive viewpoints for the most part, I applaud your courage sir. History is not kind to coaches with that long of a record in the league and you couldn't have been more detailed in your analysis. If Dick Jauron suddenly becomes a very successful winning head coach it will be the most incredible shocking turn of events to me. It's strange to me why Losman got the boot to the curb so quickly around here, yet this board loves Dick Jauron (a guy with such a long losing track record) so much.

I takes some real guts to post something like this on a board that accepts only positive viewpoints for the most part, I applaud your courage sir. History is not kind to coaches with that long of a record in the league and you couldn't have been more detailed in your analysis. If Dick Jauron suddenly becomes a very successful winning head coach it will be the most incredible shocking turn of events to me. It's strange to me why Losman got the boot to the curb so quickly around here, yet this board loves Dick Jauron (a guy with such a long losing track record) so much.

Oh look, 1billsfan has a new hero to worship.

what do you think Jauron's record would be if he had Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley, James Lofton, etc on his team?

Do players make coaches great or do coaches make players great? Are there any coaches that have been considered truly great that didn't have top level talent to surround them?

Positive views on a Bills' fans board before the season starts! How dare we! What a bunch of idiots! Let's just talk about everybody that sucks, which we are powerless to change. You must be a blast to watch games with! :wallbash:

Just facts.

Nice post, including facts to back your point. But there is one key stat you left out and that's salary. The Bills organization does not want to shell out the money required to land a great coach. In other words, you get what you pay for...

It's not that only positive viewpoints are allowed, that's ridiculous. It's just when a poster, yourself for example, gets a reputation for ALWAYS being negative, it gets old really fast...

Oh look, 1billsfan has a new hero to worship.

Lol, now that's funny...

I don't think Jauron is a great coach. I didn't want him hired. But I think he was the right man for this team, coming off of two straight HORRIBLE hires.

He is much too conservative for my liking. When teams are so even in the NFL, it is very tough to consistently win the 16-14 games that Jauron loves. But with a lack of offensive talent and experienced quarterbacking in Jauron's tenure here, they haven't exactly had the artillery to try to win games 31-28. So I understand that he's incorporating a style that he feels gives them the best chance to remain competitive. I loved the call to go for it on 4th down against the Patriots in the opener in '06. The play failed (way to get there, Willis) and the Bills lost, but that was really an anti-Jauron decision. The Dickie J I know would've kicked the FG, and the Bills probably still would've lost. But I'd like to see more balls and some fire out of him.

If I was to say Jauron was a good coach, it would be based on his ability (or his staff's ability) to get the most out of their fringe players (Crowell and Greer are two who became starters) but also DiGiorgio, George Wilson, Freddy Jackson, et al.

Most importantly, I have never seen a Bills team give up under Jauron. That was not true under Greggo (at least once) and on several occasions under Mularkey. Even before them, Wade lost a few players in a divided locker room. Jauron seems to keep everyone under one umbrella, and keep them focused on that scoreboard on Sunday, even if the overall outlook is bleak.

It's not going to get Dickie J to Canton, but you asked what I like about him. There you have it.

There are different types of coaches. Jauron (while he's never had enough talent at his disposal to make it conclusive) strikes me as a guy who can overachieve with a lack of talent, but lacks the gameday skills to vault his team deep into the playoffs. This year will be a pretty good reflection on what Jauron can do if he's given something to work with.

You have coaches that can make lousy teams mediocre (that's what Jauron's done so far), mediocre teams good (Wade Phillips, Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Parcells post-Giants), and guys that can make very good teams perennial legit contenders.

Win loss record is obviously the most important stat for a coach, but you have to consider that some guys specialize in taking teams to a certain level only to be replaced by a guy that can get them to the "next level" a la Gruden replacing Dungy in Tampa, Dungy replacing Mora in Indy, Shanahan replacing Phillips in Denver, etc.

Sometimes it fails, like when the Niners ran Mariucci out, Vikings dumped Green, and Chan Gailey replaced Switzer in Dallas.

Either way, I think Jauron deserves at least one more year to show what he can do with a little bit of talent. There aren't any excuses for him this year though...nothing less than 9 wins is acceptable to me.

you say numbers don't lie. Well, numbers can tell whatever story you want to tell.

It has been said before, but two examples bear repeating: Marv had a losing record when he came to the Bills, and Belichick had a losing record when he was hired by NE. More important than those little salves using two all-time greats, is the fact that Jauron took over a hapless Lions team, and in CHI he had to work with a terrible scouting dept that made more first-day mistakes in his tenure than any coach should have to endure. They also had to play a year without Soldier Field, which played a tangible role in that season. Still he had one of the better defenses in the league. Then there's what he did last year despite having the HARDEST schedule in the league and the most players on IR ever.

Point being: You can use "data" however you like - you can look at the facts and devise a negative forecast, or you can look at the same set of facts and devise a positive one.

There's nothing you can do about anything Bills-related. Nothing. So, you might as well find the bright side. It's there.

A pretty stupid post.

The Bills personnel department has been the achilles heal for years. The front office has failed to maximize the value of its draft picks, made questionable free agent acquisitions, and has failed to comprehend the importance of the offensive and defensive line. If you want to cast blame, put it squarely on the front office.

P.S. Do you know what Bill Belichick's record was as a HC before coaching the Patriots? 36-44 -- a whopping 45%. There's only so much a coach can do with mediocre personnel.

It's ironic that some point out the lack of talent Jauron's had when he's coached the Bills and Bears. In fact, he had immense personnel control over the teams he coached, specifically his first two seasons with Chicago and the past couple with Buffalo.

On a side note, the much maligned Bill Parcells went to the playoffs with Quincy Carter as his QB.

Jauron's formula has always been and will remain win with defense, and hope the offense can do enough. If he doesn't have a defense, his teams have suffered mightily.

"Getting what you paid for" isn't a good enough excuse for this team not having a good HC capable of stealing games and beating the better teams. I'm sure if the original poster looked at Jauron's record versus playoff teams each year, they'd find that was abysmal too.

Despite all this, DJ has one more season with many of his hand-picked players to reach the playoffs. We'll see if he can.

The problem I have with this post is that it doesn't give us the number of other coaches who weren't good enough to be allowed to coach for more than 100 games. I'd rather be at the bottom of a list of good coaches, than at the top of a list of bad ones. I agree that he is lacking in certain areas that I hope he corrects this year, but I am really curious to see what he can do with what I feel is the most talented Bills team in years.

A pretty stupid post.

The Bills personnel department has been the achilles heal for years. The front office has failed to maximize the value of its draft picks, made questionable free agent acquisitions, and has failed to comprehend the importance of the offensive and defensive line. If you want to cast blame, put it squarely on the front office.

P.S. Do you know what Bill Belichick's record was as a HC before coaching the Patriots? 36-44 -- a whopping 45%. There's only so much a coach can do with mediocre personnel.

And a lack of cameras

On a side note, the much maligned Bill Parcells went to the playoffs with Quincy Carter as his QB.

I had to read that twice to make sure you actually typed it. Much maligned??? The guy is treated as if he's the Second Coming by anyone with press credentials.

"Bring Parcells, and the playoffs will come." That's a league-wide mantra, isn't it?

I think even if the team goes 7/9 again we will see Dick J. back. There may be a screaming for his head but I don't see the FO letting him go. If it is less than that he is seriously on the "hot seat" IMHO.

I think it would be great to see a real coach again (I mean someone with a better track record and reputation) but I agree the FO (owner) is cheap in this regard.

All this being said, if Bobby April's ST are as good as the last few years, I wouldn't be suprized to see him offered a better/different job somewhere (in bflo? can you say cheap smooth transistion?).

Some interesting people will be available around the league too at the end of this year, if DJ can't light a fire under some of the playmakers butts. (Buffalo is kind of like Pittsburg was at one time, now there is an exheadcoach, who would be a good hire). :lol: but that would mean redoing the last three years and I doubt Mr. Wilson or most the fans have the taste to wait it out again and Pitt was always seemingly a QB short too (but at least they were winners).

BTW, what was Marvs record before Bflo, was it 100 games? Maybe Dick will be fine.

here is a link to another board that I found intersting when I was seaching Marvs records

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=1216087

I had to read that twice to make sure you actually typed it. Much maligned??? The guy is treated as if he's the Second Coming by anyone with press credentials.

"Bring Parcells, and the playoffs will come." That's a league-wide mantra, isn't it?

I referred to his status on this board, not the media.

I don't like the guy any more than most around here do, but he has a track record of success everywhere he's been. As much as he's a jerk, he makes things happen. Buffalo hasn't had a coach like that in an awfully long time.

Just facts.

You don't get it though, it's not his fault. He has never had great talent and there are other reasons why he sucks too.

Come on now, get with the program here.