NFL Fan Code of Conduct

Lori

08/05/2008

NFL TEAMS IMPLEMENT FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

The NFL and all 32 NFL clubs have created a fan code of conduct to help promote a positive fan environment at NFL stadiums, it was announced today.

The fan code of conduct is designed to set clear expectations and encourage a stadium environment that is enjoyable for all fans. Teams may add additional provisions to the standard code based on local circumstances or preferences. Each team will communicate its code of conduct during the preseason to season-ticket holders and fans through mailings, online, and in-stadium signage, and other messages.

“The in-stadium experience is critically important to the NFL, our clubs and our fans and it will be a major focus this season,” said NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL. “We are committed to improving the fan experience in every way we can -- from the time fans arrive in the parking lot to when they depart the stadium. We want everyone to be able to come to our stadiums and enjoy the entire day.”

The code of conduct is intended to address behavior that detracts from the gameday experience. Any fan in violation of these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.

In addition to the fan code of conduct, the NFL and its clubs will evaluate fan feedback and existing programs to ensure their effectiveness and shape the development of new programs.

These measures are designed to build on the many outstanding programs already in place at NFL stadiums to enhance the fan experience.

FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

“The National Football League and its teams are committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for all fans, both in the stadium and in the parking lot. We want all fans attending our games to enjoy the experience in a responsible fashion. When attending a game, you are required to refrain from the following behaviors:

· Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, or illegal in nature

· Intoxication or other signs of alcohol impairment that results in irresponsible behavior

· Foul or abusive language or obscene gestures

· Interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the field)

· Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel

· Verbal or physical harassment of opposing team fans

“Event patrons are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats. Stadium staff will promptly intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests, and other fans can enjoy the event free from the above behavior. Event patrons and guests who violate these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.”

They'd better hire a lot more security people, then. Rioting in the stands!

Most of these rules are common sense. Unless you are screaming FU during the whole game, dumping beers on other fans, etc - there will be no problem.

I they should add "Doing the wave when the Bills have the ball is punishable by incarceration." :cry:

The only part of the policy that raises a concern for me is this:

Event patrons are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats. Stadium staff will promptly intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests, and other fans can enjoy the event free from the above behavior. Event patrons and guests who violate these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.”

So, when a season ticket holder sells his tickets for one game because he's out of town, he faces the prospect of losing his tickets permanently if the schlep he sells them to acts like a jackass? Something's not right there.

At least there is nothing about "Verbal harassment of opposing team members or officials" as they were talking about originally. Of course you need to use "nice" language when you do it.

"Hey ref! Your mother wears combat boots!"

Event patrons are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats. Stadium staff will promptly intervene to support an environment where event patrons, their guests, and other fans can enjoy the event free from the above behavior. Event patrons and guests who violate these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and loss of ticket privileges for future games.”

So, when a season ticket holder sells his tickets for one game because he's out of town, he faces the prospect of losing his tickets permanently if the schlep he sells them to acts like a jackass? Something's not right there.

The Bills have had that policy in place for years now, though I don't know of anyone that has lost their seats because of it. Maybe because I don't know any scalpers.

Technically that has always been the policy. Though I bet it would take multiple offenses of someone else using your tix getting booted before they gave you the boot. If it happens once, it should be okay.

"Hey ref! Your mother wears combat boots!"

The Bills have had that policy in place for years now, though I don't know of anyone that has lost their seats because of it. Maybe because I don't know any scalpers.

The one time a few years ago I did not go to a preseason game. The thing is though I did not give my tickets away or sell them, I did not do nothing with them. Someone must of moved down in our seats. Monday morning the bills office called me & told me we had several complaints about obnoxious behavior about people in my seats. I told the guy I did not even use the tickets. He said if it happens again my seats will be revoked. I was like okay pal, whatever.

It's all about the beer sales. If the Bills and the NFL wanted to seriously clean up the fan behavior, there would be no beer sold inside the stadium and there would be a massive crackdown on being allowed into the stadium when you can barely stand up.

That being said, I like to have a "few" beverages before the game. It's all about moderation! :cry:

On a Syracuse radio talkshow this was discussed yesterday, and the Bills fans were getting hammered by callers who went to the Ralph to see their favorite teams who were playing the Bills. They talked about how they were verbally abused and got beer dumped on them just for wearing the opponents jersey or hat, and when they complained to security they were told to remove their gear and it wouldn't happen. They also talked about abusive language and people pukeing while tailgating in the parking lots. True or not, that's the reputation the stadium has out here. The host put the Bills fan's behavior in the same catagory as Eagle and Raider fans.

On a Syracuse radio talkshow this was discussed yesterday, and the Bills fans were getting hammered by callers who went to the Ralph to see their favorite teams who were playing the Bills. They talked about how they were verbally abused and got beer dumped on them just for wearing the opponents jersey or hat, and when they complained to security they were told to remove their gear and it wouldn't happen. They also talked about abusive language and people pukeing while tailgating in the parking lots. True or not, that's the reputation the stadium has out here. The host put the Bills fan's behavior in the same catagory as Eagle and Raider fans.

I would never participate in nor condone this sort of behavior, but imo it is a little dumb to wear opposing colors to an NFL game.

I would not attend a Bills game with a jest fan if he was wearing jests gear, because I can do quite well without getting my ass kicked for trying to defend his "rights."

Most importantly for me I pray that this new policy won't have an impact on security guards telling fans to sit down and be quiet when opposing team's offenses are on the field and we are just trying to make some noise to help out our team. I honestly wouldn't be suprised though if that were the case with some of the jerks that work security there. If this season comes and go's and they really do try to quiet us down, I would seriously consider getting rid of my season tickets.

I would never participate in nor condone this sort of behavior, but imo it is a little dumb to wear opposing colors to an NFL game.

I would not attend a Bills game with a jest fan if he was wearing jests gear, because I can do quite well without getting my ass kicked for trying to defend his "rights."

But shouldn't a person be able to go to a game wearing opposing gear without worrying about being doused with beer or beat up? I'm not talking about a jerky Patriot fan who yells, "the Bills suck, we own you!", but the guy who might bring his son to a game and root for his team in a respectful way. Fans wear opposing jerseys to hockey and baseball games all the time, and there isn't the level of abuse that there is for football.

But shouldn't a person be able to go to a game wearing opposing gear without worrying about being doused with beer or beat up? I'm not talking about a jerky Patriot fan who yells, "the Bills suck, we own you!", but the guy who might bring his son to a game and root for his team in a respectful way. Fans wear opposing jerseys to hockey and baseball games all the time, and there isn't the level of abuse that there is for football.

I agree, but there are always a few who go over the line. I've taken to giving the Guest Services hotline number to visiting fans, and when I let my brother use my seats to the Dallas game, I warned him against showing up wearing a Cowboys jersey.

Unlike that radio host, I wouldn't lump us in with Philly and Oakland ... but I can't claim that any of the events he mentioned haven't happened.

At least there is nothing about "Verbal harassment of opposing team members or officials" as they were talking about originally. Of course you need to use "nice" language when you do it.

Certain things directed towards the opposing team (or the home team) members and officials are completely inappropriate. I remember several years ago, when Trent Dilfer returned to the seahawks after the death of his child, he played poorly, and a fan yelled to him that it was good that his son died.

I would have decked the guy and got both of us thrown out.