Congratulations Brett Favre

GG

Usually you have to wait for the league to show up on the ESPN news scroll to catch news on your favorite team or player. So, Marshawn's driving tests come under NFL news, A-rod's divorce in MLB news. So I have to bow in deference to the great Brett, who the fine folks in Bristol decided to give his own "Favre" category. Yes, a 38-yr old QB is now more important than the league.

I respect the guy, but after this off-season, I surely will be hoping for Joe Namath in LA type of a season wherever he goes.

=========

In another rant, it's refreshing that NFL Network has devoted more airtime this weekend to airing classic games from 10 years ago and cheerleader competitions instead of covering opening weekend of training camps. Yup, that channel is sure worth the $2/subscriber that NFL was asking.

I respect the guy, but after this off-season, I surely will be hoping for Joe Namath in LA type of a season wherever he goes.

Like most annoying issues this one becomes markedly less annoying if you pay it no attention.

And I hope Favre lights it up wherever he goes (unless its the Jest). I'm reserving my schaudenfreude for the only target which I think deserves it; and that's the folks who have given Brett his own category, rather than Favre himself.

Usually you have to wait for the league to show up on the ESPN news scroll to catch news on your favorite team or player.

Actually he must be in a league with the Patriots, as the ESPN news scroll did the same thing for them during spygate updates. And that's saying something for Brett :P

I still don't understand how or why anyone would dislike Favre. And as Simon suggested, it's pretty easy to ignore the situation if you find it annoying. Personally, I find it fascinating watching this game of cat and mouse being played out by the Packers and Favre, and am quite curious to see where he ends up.

With respect to the Packers "not wanting" Favre to play for Minnesota -- I really don't think they can do anything other than not trade him directly to the Vikings. If they were permitted to prevent another team from subsequently trading him to the Vikes, that would amount to one team "dictating" where a player can play -- an unlawful restraint of trade -- and I can't imagine the players union or NFL would allow that to fly.

Funny you said that....a very good friend of mine (an occasional, and quite witty poster as well, L.I. Phil) follows the jests about as closely as I follow the Bills. We were talking about Favre being a jet, and he was against it, especially for a 1st round pick. He called the situation "Ronnie Lott revisited." :P

By the way, I have a very strong hunch that Favre will be in our division next year, either as a jet or a dolphin, and the price will be a 2nd and a 4th, or somewhere near this.

Usually you have to wait for the league to show up on the ESPN news scroll to catch news on your favorite team or player. So, Marshawn's driving tests come under NFL news, A-rod's divorce in MLB news. So I have to bow in deference to the great Brett, who the fine folks in Bristol decided to give his own "Favre" category. Yes, a 38-yr old QB is now more important than the league.

=========

In another rant, it's refreshing that NFL Network has devoted more airtime this weekend to airing classic games from 10 years ago and cheerleader competitions instead of covering opening weekend of training camps. Yup, that channel is sure worth the $2/subscriber that NFL was asking.

I remember watching a game when Johnny Unitas (in SanDiego?) through a bomb, and the sideline microphone could pick up his audible "ARRGH!" as he release the ball.

Namath in LA was a sad ending to a career too (no, not the "I want to kiss you" thing).

eball, I do not hate Brett Favre. If I was a Packers fan, the distraction he is causing the TEAM would really piss me off though. :P I DO think that Brett has always been about Favre, so I pay little attention. He was a great QB.

GG - I'll be in your neck of the woods (relatively) this weekend doing our last trip to Yankee Stadium!

I remember watching a game when Johnny Unitas (in SanDiego?) through a bomb, and the sideline microphone could pick up his audible "ARRGH!" as he release the ball.

Namath in LA was a sad ending to a career too (no, not the "I want to kiss you" thing).

eball, I do not hate Brett Favre. If I was a Packers fan, the distraction he is causing the TEAM would really piss me off though. :P I DO think that Brett has always been about Favre, so I pay little attention. He was a great QB.

GG - I'll be in your neck of the woods (relatively) this weekend doing our last trip to Yankee Stadium!

You are correct sir. Saint Brett is far beyond absolution in this one, because he's the one mostly responsible for it turning into a circus. Kind of makes it hard to ignore when ESPN devotes 20% airtime & crawlspace to the saga. Why the teary eyed farewell, when maybe he really wasn't ready for retirement? Or maybe he was ready for retirement, but not redy for the camera lights to be shut off him? Packers have an organization to run, and 85 other players in camp. Every offseason decision they did was based on Favre's supposed retirement, including spending a 2nd round pick on a backup QB.

No sympathy at all for #4.

ps - We'll be upstate for the weekend. But definitely call if you swing through Rte 3 on Thurs or Mon.

I still don't understand how or why anyone would dislike Favre. And as Simon suggested, it's pretty easy to ignore the situation if you find it annoying. Personally, I find it fascinating watching this game of cat and mouse being played out by the Packers and Favre, and am quite curious to see where he ends up.

I had adopted the Packers as my 2nd favorite team because of this guy. I respected what he stood for, his work ethic, his play on the field, and his seemingly blue-collar attitude off the field.

Most of that respect is now gone, unfortunately. I was hoping to see that Brett Favre would have been a man that stuck to his word and when he announced his retirement, that was truly the end of an illustrious, HoF career. Now he's just like Michael Jordan, Roger Clemens (who also has his own ESPN bottom-line scroll category), and every other almost-40-year-old athlete that can't make up his mind.

C'mon, Brett...you're better than this. Part of me wants him to call off this whole charade and stay retired, but I know that won't happen, so the rest of me just wants this stuff to stop.

I still don't understand how or why anyone would dislike Favre.

I'm not a fan of people who need to continually draw attention to themselves for no particular reason.

Last year we had a whole off season of 'Favre watch' because he wouldn't say if he was retiring or not. This off season, he retires; big tearful press conference, days and days of retrospectives, etc. And it was all bullsh--. Spare me the 'changed his mind' line; the guy just needs to have his ego flattered constantly. I guess being a rich, successful and famous athlete just doesn't do the trick by itself. :P

Same reason I hate Roger Clemens. You want to play? Fine, STFU and play.

Yeah, but Johnny U was hizzole' self against us as a Charger in '73. He killed us!

FWIW, I'd love to swap spit with Suzie Colber too. And I'm not drunk! (yet..)

=========

Yea, I too noticed the ridiculous Favre scroll on ESPN. Same goes for the NFL network which is killing the story every friggin' day. It should be renamed Brett Favre Network.

For some reason, I have found this story pretty fascinating. I can't remember another legandary player, on Favres level (excluding OJ Simpson, and maybe Micahael Vick), who has had such an about face with his adoring fans. Simpson and Vick alienated their adoring their fans, by committing crimes that most people would find repulsive. Favres' crime is that he can't make up his mind whether he still wants to play football or not.

I think a lot of fans get their opinions from the shouting "sports writers" on ESPN and talk radio, but Packers fans are backing the franchise in this episode. Personally, I think the Packers are being pretty stupid. Sure, Favre is a prima-donna (the same fans and media created the prima-donna Favre), but I still don't see where that gives the Packers the right to keep him from playing. The popular mantra coming out of Wisconsin seems to be "Brett isn't bigger than the Packers"...if we can with a straight face say that Flutie "saved the Bills" in 1998, you can make a much stronger case that Favre saved that floundering franchise. No one will ever dream of saying the Packers shouldn't be in Green Bay anymore (although there are better financial options available), and that is in large part, because Brett Favre put the franchise on the map of relevance, in the modern NFL. Imagine a player of Reggie Whites' caliber wanting to go to Green Bay, without Favre.

If the Packers had any balls (which they don't) they would just call the Vikings or Bears and say, "okay, you want Brett, give us your next two first round picks." They won't though. Because they don't want him to do anything that will damage their chances...so they know he can still play.

I'm 99% certain that he won't. He's not interested in either.

I have been saying the Jets (if not the Packers) since day one. Now, rumour has it that the Jets have been trying to qauge interest (if any) in Chad Pennington...rumour has it they have already contacted the Vikings and the Ravens. If that is true, they are making room for someone, or, Chad has demanded a trade to a team that wears purple...