US Open

Wacka

Tiger Woods was 4 down with six holes left in today's round and he made three amazing putts and Rocco Mediate screwed up near the end. He ended with a one stroke lead today. He seemed to hurt his repaired knee several times and on the last putt on 18 (for an eagle) he just stood in place and pumped his fist. He was using a drive as a cane on several holes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's shot lower scores, and has been more dominating in other rounds, but under the circumstances with the bad knee, long layoff, etc. he couldn't have been more spectacular. What a wonderful evening of watching golf! If you didn't see it, make sure you catch the highlights--this will be talked about for years to come.

I've watched Tiger his entire career, and I have never been more amazed than I was tonight. :cry:<_<

Spectacular stuff; I think he even surprised himself (obvious on the chip in).

Ordinarily you'd feel like he was a lock with the 54 hole lead but he is clearly in pain and it could make today's round very difficult. It's pretty hard to focus on the shot when you know that taking a full swing is likely to cause you significant pain.

Hey, sometimes the truth hurts... Don't hold it against the guy!

:cry:<_<

He said no one watches hockey. That isn't the truth. He could have been like "Oh I don't really care, I'm more of a baseball guy" or something. Instead, he went out of his way to act like no one in the world watches hockey, which isn't true at all. It was an unnecessary pot shot.

He said no one watches hockey. That isn't the truth. He could have been like "Oh I don't really care, I'm more of a baseball guy" or something. Instead, he went out of his way to act like no one in the world watches hockey, which isn't true at all. It was an unnecessary pot shot.

Well, he's almost right.

However, you have to agree with Peter King - the NFL Draft is bigger than hockey.

Give him a break, he's an outdoor sunshine athlete.

Ice, blades and toothless French Canadians don't turn him on.

He wasn't saying "you're no one or a nobody" for watching, but you've gotta know that more people watch NASCAR than watch hockey on TV.

Besides, do you really think all the other PGA touring pros LIKE hockey? :cry:

Do you really care?

I used to enjoy seeing Tiger win, but ever since his remark about hockey I've been rooting against him.

Geez...a black guy who grew up in California doesn't think much of hockey. Shock.

Do you always wish for people to fail who don't think exactly the way you do? Thanks for post, Mein Fuhrer.

Yeah! Right on! The 3.8 percent of American households that watched games 5 and 6 of the finals shouldn't be dismissed as 'nobody.'

Clearly, Woods mispoke and meant 'only a handful' or a 'tiny fraction' watch hockey...

I fully realize we are likely watching the greatest to ever play the game of golf every time Tiger is on the course. That is not lost on me. However, the 5-hour beejay that is bestowed upon him by the commentators on Saturday is reaching the point of unbearable. (Trust me, I also realize that those commentators and their producers know where their bread is buttered...So I can understand it to a point.)

Two incidents yesterday that rubbed me the wrong way:

-Tiger was probably on the 11th hole, in 4th place, probably 3 or 4 shots behind Rocco Mediate at that point. Lee Westwood was probably on the 15th or 16th hole, and he made a nice putt for birdie I believe. Johnny Miller said, "You know, I think this is the guy Tiger really needs to watch out for, he's got that smooth putting stroke working this week." I couldn't believe it! Tiger was in 4th place at the time, several shots out of the lead, and the announcers are mentioning the guys that Tiger needs to watch out for. (Obviously it turned out to be very prophetic, as they are now in the final group, so I'll definitely give Miller props for that...But at the time, it was such a slap in the face to Rocco Mediate and the other two players who were ahead of Woods.)

-When one commentator remarked after Tiger hit a drive and grimmaced, "Folks, what you are watching goes beyond what you saw with Willis Reed or Kirk Gibson." Please buddy. He's playing golf. Sure his knee hurts, but if it REALLY was a problem, he'd be shooting 80 instead of 70...Or more likely, laying at his home in Orlando watching on TV. He's grimmacing in pain after he hits his drive 320 yards. Spare me the dramatic comparisons. Gibson didn't make another at-bat in the '88 World Series, and Willis Reed played about 2 minutes in that game 7. Those were two players who were PUTTING OFF SURGERY and legitimately giving everything they had to inspire their teammates to a title. To compare Tiger's surgically repaired knee FROM APRIL to those guys is a joke.

Once again, I respect Tiger and it is IMPOSSIBLE to argue that anyone else is better. He is BY FAR the best player in the world. But take a look at that leaderboard today and tell me if there's ANYBODY ELSE worth even betting on. They will likely all crumble under the aura of Tiger like they always do.

14-for-14 in winning majors with the lead entering the final round is INCREDIBLY impressive. 0-for-whatever else when trailing entering the final round of a major is so weird for a player of his caliber.

Count me in the crowd that loves watching him play and DEFINITELY appreciates his talents...But I'll admit that the media constantly and unabashedly kneeling before their king has turned me off. Let's go ANYBODY ELSE today! Please Rocco get it done!!!

tiger teeing off on 18 down by 1....this could be fun

He is incredible...

Had to be even money if you bet on the tee that he'd make birdie...

Odds probably less than that over his 3rd shot from 105 yds in the rough...

I don't know anybody who would bet against him missing that putt....

Great setup by the USGA and Torrey Pines making the last three holes incredible drama

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Just unbelievable. The back and forth among the top 3 guys the entire round was wild. They all missed opportunities to put it away on the back 9. Seeing Woods at his best is amazing and I'm psyched for the playoff tomorrow, but also a little torn because Rocco seems like a great guy and a huge longshot, so I'd very happy for him if he won.