You wouldn't drive away.....

That's why it's useless posting topics like this, because the holier than thou types know exactly what they would do. They can put themselves in another's shoes and know 100% exactly what they would do should they be in that situation. And of course, that action is always the morally correct and honorable thing to do no matter what the situation or consequence.

Myself on the other hand, I am a realist. I like to deal with facts, not hypothetical's. If I were out drinking and driving late at night, which I have done many times when I was in my 20's [sarcasm]even though it is morally wrong to be doing that..blah blah blah [/sarcasm], I would probably crap my pants if I accidentally hit someone. I have absolutely no idea what I would do. Part of me would want to stop, but I would be looking at a DWI for sure plus addition charges, might lose my job and embarrass my wife and family. That's a lot to think about in a split second. I can honestly say, I would hope that I would stop. But if I were in that situation, I have no idea what I would do.

For all you posters that jump all over posts like this because you think assumptions are being made, I am NOT saying that ML was drinking in driving, just giving an example!!

Well said Ricojes....no one knows exactly what they'd do in a situation like this because no one has the identical same set of circumstances to deal with. If your career, your livelihood, your personal life were all on the line would you INSTANTLY make the right, moral decision in that split second you have to make it? Anyone who says "yes" is fooling themselves.

Again, not making assumptions, but if it is proven that Marshawn did drive the car and strike a pedestrian, then he deserves the negative criticism and punishment that will come his way. Until then, lets all get of our f___ing pedestals and let justice run its course.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find amazing about this thread ...... and to tell the truth I'm a bit befuddled.

Is that some people seem to be indicating that the people who would stop to render aid to someone they have injured are the "bad" or "dishonest" by the derisive lable of "holier than thou".

I also would stop, and if that makes me "holier than thee" IMHO maybe it's you who need to reassess your priorities not me.

Well said Ricojes....no one knows exactly what they'd do in a situation like this because no one has the identical same set of circumstances to deal with. If your career, your livelihood, your personal life were all on the line would you INSTANTLY make the right, moral decision in that split second you have to make it? Anyone who says "yes" is fooling themselves.

Again, not making assumptions, but if it is proven that Marshawn did drive the car and strike a pedestrian, then he deserves the negative criticism and punishment that will come his way. Until then, lets all get of our f___ing pedestals and let justice run its course.

<_<

...<ahem>...

Thanks for not being "holier than thou"... <_<

Why is saying that I wouldn't try to get away with hit run holier than thou? Is saying I wouldn't kill someone any different?

Perhaps there's too much of a star-f*cking attitude with some people on this board. He's a Buffalo Bill, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, right? :flirt:

That's why it's useless posting topics like this, because the holier than thou types know exactly what they would do. They can put themselves in another's shoes and know 100% exactly what they would do should they be in that situation. And of course, that action is always the morally correct and honorable thing to do no matter what the situation or consequence.

Myself on the other hand, I am a realist. I like to deal with facts, not hypothetical's. If I were out drinking and driving late at night, which I have done many times when I was in my 20's [sarcasm]even though it is morally wrong to be doing that..blah blah blah [/sarcasm], I would probably crap my pants if I accidentally hit someone. I have absolutely no idea what I would do. Part of me would want to stop, but I would be looking at a DWI for sure plus addition charges, might lose my job and embarrass my wife and family. That's a lot to think about in a split second. I can honestly say, I would hope that I would stop. But if I were in that situation, I have no idea what I would do.

For all you posters that jump all over posts like this because you think assumptions are being made, I am NOT saying that ML was drinking in driving, just giving an example!!

This is well said and exactly how I feel. Sitting in my office, its pretty easy. When you are thinking with .20 in you...not so much.

Why is saying that I wouldn't try to get away with hit run holier than thou? Is saying I wouldn't kill someone any different?

Perhaps there's too much of a star-f*cking attitude with some people on this board. He's a Buffalo Bill, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, right? <_<

looool

Perhaps there's too much of a star-f*cking attitude with some people on this board. He's a Buffalo Bill, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, right? <_<

How is it as "star-f#cking attitude" to let the facts come to light before passing judgement?!? Most of the posters rushing to Marshawn's defence aren't doing so because they love Marshawn and he's innocent because he's a Bill, but because the whole f___ing lot of you won't let the story play itself out before providing your useless "holier-than-thou" criticisms...most of us want to hear the facts before we decide if he's a "ghetto punk", a "spineless thug", or any of the other stupid insults we've seen hurled his way...

It's just a basic human moral to help those who are injured, especially if you are the reason they are injured.

Actually, no it's not. Most people would just as soon ignore someone who needs help, simply because it's human nature to assume someone else will deal with it. Ask Kitty Genovese.

I can honestly say I don't know what i would do in that situation because I don't ever see myself being in that situation.

I guess it would make me "holier then thou" though by saying that I wouldn't be out drinking and driving

But according to this board, if everyone does it (like doing drugs, or underage drinking) its fine and you shouldn't get in trouble for doing it because everyone does it.

What I find amazing about this thread ...... and to tell the truth I'm a bit befuddled.

Is that some people seem to be indicating that the people who would stop to render aid to someone they have injured are the "bad" or "dishonest" by the derisive lable of "holier than thou".

I also would stop, and if that makes me "holier than thee" IMHO maybe it's you who need to reassess your priorities not me.

A lot of people here are misunderstanding the phrase. People who do not drink and drive are not "holier than thou". People who would stop to render aid to someone they have injured are not "holier than thou", they are responsible citizens. The term "holier than thou" applies to those who have never been in such a situation and respond emphatically, knowing exactly what they would do, as if they were. They believe they would have done the righteous thing, no matter what the circumstances, when in fact unless they were in that situation they will never truly know. It's kind of like an Monday morning quarterback (God knows we have a ton of those on this board), this person says the Bills should have done this or they should have done that, not really knowing if that would have worked or not, but it's much easier to make that statement after the fact.

I agree. While it would be a hard choice I believe I'd do the right thing. While I've never hit somebody I have been in difficult situations before and manned up.

How is it as "star-f#cking attitude" to let the facts come to light before passing judgement?!? Most of the posters rushing to Marshawn's defence aren't doing so because they love Marshawn and he's innocent because he's a Bill, but because the whole f___ing lot of you won't let the story play itself out before providing your useless "holier-than-thou" criticisms...most of us want to hear the facts before we decide if he's a "ghetto punk", a "spineless thug", or any of the other stupid insults we've seen hurled his way...

I don't think anyone here has said he's positively guilty. All of the posters here seem to be working on hypothetical situations.

Actually, no it's not. Most people would just as soon ignore someone who needs help, simply because it's human nature to assume someone else will deal with it. Ask Kitty Genovese.

I still believe it is. Even though people go away I believe that they feel guilt about it.

Great post man! This needs tobe highlighted and pinned for all the holier-than-thou jackasses than infest this board.

Let me spell it out for you: You're "not" hoiler-than-thou, but every person in that car can go f*ck themselves?

Is this some new and interesting definition of "not" that I haven't run in to yet? Because CLEARLY, you think you're better than everyone in the car...but you're "not" holier-than-thou? :flirt:

If I may add to this - because no one here knows exactly what happened we are all speaking to images in our minds of what some accident scene, somewhere on Earth may have looked like. I'm sure people have images of people getting hit and flying over their windshield or their tires driving over someone's chest, etc... So with these hypothetical images in mind - people are pronouncing what they would do in such a situation, even though it may have little relevance to what happened that night with Lynch.

If I may add to this - because no one here knows exactly what happened we are all speaking to images in our minds of what some accident scene, somewhere on Earth may have looked like. I'm sure people have images of people getting hit and flying over their windshield or their tires driving over someone's chest, etc... So with these hypothetical images in mind - people are pronouncing what they would do in such a situation, even though it may have little relevance to what happened that night with Lynch.

Well, that just makes you an amoral Marshawn Lynch defender now, doesn't it. Why don't you just hop in the car and run down a few people while you're at it?

<_<

The term "holier than thou" applies to those who have never been in such a situation and respond emphatically, knowing exactly what they would do, as if they were. They believe they would have done the righteous thing, no matter what the circumstances, when in fact unless they were in that situation they will never truly know. It's kind of like an Monday morning quarterback (God knows we have a ton of those on this board), this person says the Bills should have done this or they should have done that, not really knowing if that would have worked or not, but it's much easier to make that statement after the fact.

I disagree .....

Even though someone may never have been in that specific situation, I think some basic assumtions can be made based on ones past performance ....... if one would stop and leave a note on a car they have dented in a parking lot accident ....... I think they would stop to render aid to a hit pedestrian ......... if someone who just accidently hit and killed a dog goes out of his or her way to knock on doors to try and inform the owner ...... I think they would stop and render aid to a hit pedestrian. If someone sees a woman and children beside the road with a flat tire and stops to help even if it makes them late for work/church/dinner .... IMHO would stop to render aid to a hit pedestrian.

see there are a whole bunch of behaviors that would indicate someone is a decent enough human being to stop and help someone they may have accidently injured.

i love marshawn the PLAYER and cant wait till he takes out all of his frustrastions on opposing Lb's.

dont care that he made a mistake, dont care that he's choosen to listen(wisely) to his lawyers, dont care that a FEW peeps on a message board now think he's a punk and when december rolls around and the bills are playing for a wildcard spot, i'm thinking those few whom have failed to support marshawn will be back in the fold.

this kid is going nowhere, and im happy for that. I need him to play so my favourite team has a really good shot at the post season, is that not why fans watch sports(to be entertained) from what i've seen on this board there seems to be 3 camps, the first being , we dont know all the facts and lets let the process play out before passing judgement. then theres the he made a mistake and now he's a scumbag, piece of chit loser and the bills suck because they have not turned him in.

then there seems to be the group i've settled into, the i dont give a chit group and lets prey he does not miss any playing time because its football that is important, not a 23yr old kids apparent lack of character. i think there are only a few members of the "hes a scumbag" group, but those few seem to be very outspoken. i dont need a 23 yr old kid to be my moral compass, i need him to score tds and thats all im concerned about.

Let me spell it out for you: You're "not" hoiler-than-thou, but every person in that car can go f*ck themselves?

Is this some new and interesting definition of "not" that I haven't run in to yet? Because CLEARLY, you think you're better than everyone in the car...but you're "not" holier-than-thou? <_<

I don't consider myself "better" than anyone. The law states that it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident. An accident indeed occurred, the offending vehicle left the scene...and that vehicle did not drive itself. Whoever was in the vehicle broke the law, driver AND passengers alike. And it is very clear that when this incident came to light, no one in the vehicle stepped forward. That is the issue here...and if it turns out that these Bills players that have been mentioned in the press were in that vehicle, then they should be punished to the full extent of the law.

THAT is what this is all about.