Bills public address announcer arrested

You think that 80 kids can be supervised enough by a couple parents (assuming that there were more parents there then just the host parents)?

I have been to a few parties like this growing up, except that the drinking age here is 19. They were all "Supervised" by the parents, who either sat in one room watching TV, or were at the neighbors house "supervising" the party. Nothing ended up happening, except a bunch of my friends got drunk and ended up puking or passing out (or both), but thats not saying nothing else could have happened

Yea, but I think the pressence of the parents, even if theyre upstairs watching tv, prevents kids from getting more wild (fighting, breaking things, driving, etc.) because they know theyll be held accountable if something bad happens.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, but I think the pressence of the parents, even if theyre upstairs watching tv, prevents kids from getting more wild (fighting, breaking things, driving, etc.) because they know theyll be held accountable if something bad happens.

Wow, you never attended the parties I did when I was 17-18. Now I'm not sure that because at that time 18 was legal but some of those parties got waaay out of hand even with the parents there.

No. My cousin had a wild grad party a few years ago when he graduated HS. His parents knew that everyone was going to drink, so they had it supervised at their house. They collected everyone's keys and had everyone sleep over in their yard. The kids still drank but it was much safer and no one got hurt from drunk driving, etc.

The reason why I asked this is I hosted a grad party for one of my nephews just this past year.

- There was underaged drinking....but no one was allowed to leave unless they were picked up.

- I had a group of security (guys I knew) that were stationed both in front of the house and in the back. Not one fight.

- I even bought him a stripper

- Anyone who did not have a ride or was too intoxicated had to stay at my house that night.

It was the only time I have ever done this for anyone.......and for some reason I have the reputation of the coolest parents in town. Nobody complained. But to this day I have mixed feelings about it.

The reason why I asked this is I hosted a grad party for one of my nephews just this past year.

- There was underaged drinking....but no one was allowed to leave unless they were picked up.

- I had a group of security (guys I knew) that were stationed both in front of the house and in the back. Not one fight.

- Anyone who did not have a ride or was too intoxicated had to stay at my house that night.

It was the only time I have ever done this for anyone.......and for some reason I have the reputation of the coolest parents in town. Nobody complained. But to this day I have mixed feelings about it.

Umm...can you throw my grad party...? :D

I'm amazed at how many saints and angels the Bills have as fans...especially on this particular forum...

Wow, you never attended the parties I did when I was 17-18. Now I'm not sure that because at that time 18 was legal but some of those parties got waaay out of hand even with the parents there.

Your probably right, I only attended a few parties where parents were there, but they were relatively tame, kids got drunk , but nothing too crazy would happen. For the most part parents were scared to host parties with alcohol because of incidents like this one. The result was we would drink in cars, parks, and houses where the parents weren't home, and what came with that was several arrests, duis, fights, accidents, etc.

I believe I'm about the same age as you, and i would have to completly disagree with this. Having the parents around wasn't going to help, because the parents that were holding the party were usually considered the "cool parents" for holding the party, and the kids weren't afraid of the parents not allowing them to do something. Maybe I have a different perspective on this because I never drank at these parties, I never drank until I was 21 (having an alcoholic father, I never had the urge to drink)

Heck, I've been to parties just a few years ago with kids legal to drink and at their parents house and seen things get out of hand, and it is almost always worse the more people in attendance drinking.

I think a stripper is a little too much

Did you verify that all the people that saw the stripper were 18? If someone under 18 was there, you'd be open for some delinquency of a minor charge (disregarding the drinking), or possibly some sex offender charge.

I've seen both sides. My old man would let me have a brew if i wanted one growing up. But at my grad party, there was no drinking. They didnt want the liability of anyone drinking and then something happening where they got in trouble. No one had a problem with it, probably because most of my friends didnt drink a ton, so it was no big deal NOT drinking at a party.

As for me, hell i'm only 26 so i have no idea what i will do when my future kids graduate. As for right now, i'm do what my parents did over what my uncle did. But i have seen it work both ways and fail both ways.

Umm...can you throw my grad party...? :D

I'm amazed at how many saints and angels the Bills have as fans...especially on this particular forum...

If I had to do it again I wouldn't have gotten the stripper.....even though she didn't get totally naked. But I did like the fact that the kids were at my house (especially mine) and not out somewhere I did not know where they were at.

It was a pretty good set up.....I had a lot of security and any hints of trouble were squashed immediately.

Found out the next day that someone broke a piece of my pool equipment....but other then that no problems there.

I don't understand graduation parties in the first place. Graduation from high school is expected. Parents - good ones at least - knuckle down on their kids for a long time to ensure this.

I don't see why such has to be cause for a particular celebration, or an occasion for gifts. Most 18 year-olds already operate under the false impression that they are hot sh*t. Why encourage that? :D

If i was one of these kids parents, i would be extremely pissed. They provided all these people with access to large amounts of alcohol. Obtaining that much, would certainly be much harder without the support of the parents.

If i was one of these kids parents, i would be extremely pissed. They provided all these people with access to large amounts of alcohol. Obtaining that much, would certainly be much harder without the support of the parents.

Those piss*d parents probably had an inkling about what goes on at a "graduation" party. They should have looked into a mirror and ask themselves why they let their precious whelp attend in the first place. :D

Reading this report the only thing that pops into my head is "don't these cops have any 'real crime' to fight?". It just seems like a bunch of sour puss keystone cops that heard wind of a party and decided to break it up. No complaints from the neighbors, no LEGITIMATE (I know in Canada that if supervised, underage drinking is permitted to some degree) criminal activity.

It doesn't seem like these teens were bothering anyone in a controlled environment but the cops decided to be buzz kills anyway....

And we wonder why some think the cops are aszholes....of course we leave them to their discretion and judgement, and this is what we end up with. Pathetic. Probably stole the booze and kept it for their personal use later too.

Alright, reading the previous responses makes me believe that my viewpoint is in the minority, at least on this board, but I'm a mom, a teacher, and a coach and I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't say something with the possibility that maybe ONE of you might open up your eyes. Some of you really need to grow up.

Providing alcohol for your kids in a supposedly "safe" environment has to be the stupidest things I have ever heard. You are an ADULT, not a child. You need to show kids that there are ways to have fun that does not involve alcohol. You are not their friend you are their PARENT. You need to be clear that underage drinking is not OK. How else will your own child ever develop the sense to stop themselves from doing something stupid unless you are clear in what your expectations are? Talk about mixed messages in letting them (and countless others' peoples kids) drink in your own home. Also not ALL kids drink....and if you keep telling kids that ALL kids drink, then what about the ones that really don't want to? What about the kids who are trying to stand up for themselves and not succumb to peer pressure?

Here are a couple of sections from the great book by Michael Bradley titled "Yes, your Teen is Crazy!!!" I recommend this book for anyone with teenagers or preteens. They aren't directly about letting kids drink in your home, but they are related to the topic. First, some stats about alcohol as a drug (it seems to have gained the reputation that it isn't a drug), and then something about being a parent and not a friend to your teen.

"Believe it or not, your child stands a radically better chance of dying from booze than from marijuana, heroin, cocaine, and hallucinogens COMBINED.....Annually, 45,000 of our teen children get their bodies broken in booze-related driving accidents. And every year we bury 10,000 of our sons and daughters who drink very well and drive very badly. These numbers make the "drug" body count pale in comparison. Last year we lost far more of our children to alcohol poisoning and drunk driving than were stolen from us by heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, accidents, and illness COMBINED - so somebody, please explain to me how alcohol is not a dangerous drug!"

and later in the book:

"Good parents of adolescents are definately not cool. They're usually annoying, corney, and about as contemporary as dinosaurs. They know that parenting means loving your kid enough to have her hate you at times, because your primary concern is for the long-term welfare of your child, and not for her approval. Good parents know that raising an adolecent is, by definition, a conflict-based relationship. they would like to be friends with their kid, but they choose to be a parent first. Believe it or not, that's the way your adolescent secretly wants and needs you to be, even though she ridicules you endlessly. That's because dinosaur parents are usually also reliable and consistant. They fulfull promises and seem to take a heck of a lot of abuse without yelling back. They show up. They teach much more by example than with words."

I'm off my soapbox....

How about somebody get drunk and then killing someone leaving the party. How would you feel for all you who approve of this. Parents would be sueing Gurtler right now.

I just came across this thread and am amazed that it took 63 posts in this thread for this to be mentioned. Its good to see someone realize that Gurtler could have found himself in a HUGE heap of trouble had one of those kids got into an accident afterwards.

I just came across this thread and am amazed that it took 63 posts in this thread for this to be mentioned. Its good to see someone realize that Gurtler could have found himself in a HUGE heap of trouble had one of those kids got into an accident afterwards.

I guess the problem comes from the fact that even if the parents had instituted a "no alcohol" rule at the party and some kid sneaked some in, then left and killed someone, the parents would still be held liable.