Bills public address announcer arrested

No he didn't dump it down the toilet. But also, no he didn't drink it the rest of the night when I wasn't watching. Our friendship was based on respect for one another. We could use some of that in this day and age.

my friendships were based on Genny Light...to each his own....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about somebody get drunk and then killing someone leaving the party. How would you feel for all you who approve of this. Parents would be sueing Gurtler right now.

There you have it. I'm not commenting on the merits of the law, but for him to host a party like that, he is essentially trusting 80 teenagers to be responsible drinkers. He's an idiot.

No he didn't dump it down the toilet. But also, no he didn't drink it the rest of the night when I wasn't watching. Our friendship was based on respect for one another. We could use some of that in this day and age.

So, in other words, maybe 1 in 10?

I agree we could use some more of that in this day and age. And if he was your friend and you asked him not to do it in your house and he said he wouldn't, he shouldn't. I'm not condoning any of the actions. I'm just saying that people have to live in the real world. Most 18 year olds drink on prom night. IMO, 90-99% of them that want to drink are going to drink, regardless of whether parents invite them into their homes to do it or don't. Overall, and in the short and long run, the public at large, the parents, the kids, and the police benefit a lot more by having the kids do it supervised in a parents home than unsupervised in a car or park or parking lot.

How about somebody get drunk and then killing someone leaving the party. How would you feel for all you who approve of this. Parents would be sueing Gurtler right now.

I think the point of these type of parties is to take the keys, give the kids a tent or some sleeping bags and let them spend the night so they DON'T go get in an accident. I had a few friends whose parents did this for us and that was their intent at least.

How does everyone feel about this......do you think he is a bad person for having this kind of party for his son?

I would be curious on the answers.

No. My cousin had a wild grad party a few years ago when he graduated HS. His parents knew that everyone was going to drink, so they had it supervised at their house. They collected everyone's keys and had everyone sleep over in their yard. The kids still drank but it was much safer and no one got hurt from drunk driving, etc.

I think the point of these type of parties is to take the keys, give the kids a tent or some sleeping bags and let them spend the night so they DON'T go get in an accident. I had a few friends whose parents did this for us and that was their intent at least.

Lets hope so, that were his intentions.

Kids that age are going to party one way or another. Now, do you think your scenario is more likely to happen when they are all partying with no adults around to supervise, or when there are adults to take keys, make sure kids get a ride home with a sober driver, etc. If Gurtler wasn't home and his kid threw a party on his own, parents could be "sueing Gurtler" in the same fashion. I'm only 20, and have been at numerous parties thrown by parents (many of the graduation variety like this) at which alcohol was provided by those parents. Everything was always very safe and smooth. In the handfull of times that the police were sent to these types of parties, I NEVER saw it handled like the OP Police did. For the most part, it was a pretty laid back warning about the noise, or making sure that nobody drinking was getting behind the wheel. Maybe theres more to this story, but to me this is a bit of a joke. I hope they didn't ignore any more pressing crime issues to bust up a graduation party with underage drinking that responsible parents seemed to have under control anyways.

How does everyone feel about this......do you think he is a bad person for having this kind of party for his son?

I would be curious on the answers.

I don't think he was very smart. But I don't think he's a bad person.

What I think it that 18 yr. olds should be able to test for a drinking license to buy alcohol in limited quantities.

The State could charge $500 for a 25 hr. safety and responsibility course and then 18 yr. olds could use the license responsibly or lose it. It could be limited to beer and wine or beverages less than 30 proof.

The idea that alcohol is contraband democratizes all illegal substances.

Weed = Alcohol = Ecstasy = Illegal Scripts = Acid

When students turn 21 and have never learned to drink alcohol in a responsible setting, it is asking for trouble.

There you have it. I'm not commenting on the merits of the law, but for him to host a party like that, he is essentially trusting 80 teenagers to be responsible drinkers. He's an idiot.

I would say the chances that 80 teenagers would drink responsibly, while extremely slim, increase exponentially when you add adult supervision to the equation

I find it very troubling that some here take the attitude, "they're going to do it anyways, so why not supervise it". Anyone who's been in high school knows there's the "cool kids" who do the dangerous stuff and have the permissive parents, the "nerdy kids" who don't do anything and have controlling parents, and then the great majority of kids who are looking to fit in and feel the peer pressure to try to be like the cool kids even if they're not comfortable with what it takes. And parents making it harder to not have an excuse to resist the pressure is wrong.

An hypothetical adult supervised 18 yr. old sex party is legal.

The adult supervised BBQ, pool, and beer party, isn't.

18yr olds can legally have sex, they can't legally drink

To make the comparrison fair, it would have to be an adult supervised BBQ/Pool/Beer party and a Supervised under 16 year old sex party

I would say the chances that 80 teenagers would drink responsibly, while extremely slim, increase exponentially when you add adult supervision to the equation

You think that 80 kids can be supervised enough by a couple parents (assuming that there were more parents there then just the host parents)?

I have been to a few parties like this growing up, except that the drinking age here is 19. They were all "Supervised" by the parents, who either sat in one room watching TV, or were at the neighbors house "supervising" the party. Nothing ended up happening, except a bunch of my friends got drunk and ended up puking or passing out (or both), but thats not saying nothing else could have happened

I find it very troubling that some here take the attitude, "they're going to do it anyways, so why not supervise it". Anyone who's been in high school knows there's the "cool kids" who do the dangerous stuff and have the permissive parents, the "nerdy kids" who don't do anything and have controlling parents, and then the great majority of kids who are looking to fit in and feel the peer pressure to try to be like the cool kids even if they're not comfortable with what it takes. And parents making it harder to not have an excuse to resist the pressure is wrong.

I would never let this happen at my house, but I dont fault other parents for doing it

I think kids (and a lot of adults) just enjoy getting drunk. Im not discounting peer pressure from the equation, but take it from someone who was in high school recently (graduated 2001), most high school kids drink, and most of them do it because they enjoy being drunk. Maybe it was just me, but I feel like peer pressure to be "cool" is more of a factor in junior high. By the time kids are seniors in high school, they hang out with a crowd of people who have similar interests as they do and dont try to be something theyre not. There are kids who dont enjoy drinking and are comfortable with that and choose not to hang out with kids that do drink. There are also kids who hang out with drinkers and dont drink much or at all. These kids tend to be appreciated by their drinker friends because they can be designated drivers, and are not pressured into drinking.