Made a reservation on Smartcar today

My wife is concerned about the cost of gas as most of us sane people are. She also drives a mini-van and while she does not drive very far now the mini-van mileage has dropped as it has gotten older and the van will need to be replaced eventually. This is a much smaller vehicle so I was concerned that she would not have good vision in it but we took a test drive in one and it drove satisfactory. Unfortunately there is a long back log of cars on order and it will take a year for her to get her new car. Fortunately current car has no driving issues and if we do need to buy a new car the $99 deposit is fully refundable.

In case you have not seen them Smart Cars are these small 2 person sub-compacts produced by Mercedes Benz. The model I reserved for my wife is the blue metallic passion version (The value packed, sporty and well-equipped passion coupe includes a panorama roof, alloy wheels, air conditioning with climate control, 3-spoke leather sports steering wheel with shift paddles, power windows, electric and heated side mirrors, and AM/FM radio with CD player.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are ALL OVER THE PLACE in Europe. Couldn't believe how many I saw in Berlin, Munich, and Frankfurt last October. Perfect city car, but I question the utility for American suburbia.

A smart car? A SMART CAR? Oh God, please don't do that to yourself.

You get in a crash, you're going to lose your legs.

The engine is complete sh--.

From Wikipedia:

According to the EPA, fuel efficiency is lower than the 5-seat Toyota Prius, which achieves 48 city and 45 highway while the Smart achieves 33 city and 41 highway. Additionally, the larger Chevrolet Cobalt, with its 148 hp engine achieves a combined 31 MPG compared to the Smart's 36 combined MPG with its 71 hp engine.

You're going to pay $12k for a car that:

- Is the slowest 0-60 of any car on the US market (which, if you are planning on taking it on highways, makes it dangerous as hell).

- Manual Transmission

- No Radio

- No Air Conditioning

With the Yaris, for $13k MSRP (you'll likely pay less)

- More practical

- Better gas milage

- Air Conditioning

- Automatic Transmission

There is absolutely no reason to get a smart car.

Oh, and BTW, the Smart Fortwo requires PREMIUM gasoline.

My wife is concerned about the cost of gas as most of us sane people are. She also drives a mini-van and while she does not drive very far now the mini-van mileage has dropped as it has gotten older and the van will need to be replaced eventually. This is a much smaller vehicle so I was concerned that she would not have good vision in it but we took a test drive in one and it drove satisfactory. Unfortunately there is a long back log of cars on order and it will take a year for her to get her new car. Fortunately current car has no driving issues and if we do need to buy a new car the $99 deposit is fully refundable.

In case you have not seen them Smart Cars are these small 2 person sub-compacts produced by Mercedes Benz. The model I reserved for my wife is the blue metallic passion version (The value packed, sporty and well-equipped passion coupe includes a panorama roof, alloy wheels, air conditioning with climate control, 3-spoke leather sports steering wheel with shift paddles, power windows, electric and heated side mirrors, and AM/FM radio with CD player.)

instead of spending wasting the money on a euro smartcar, save a few bucks and get the cheaper american equivalent...

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/to...mage/slide2.jpg

You're going to pay $12k for a car that:

- Is the slowest 0-60 of any car on the US market (which, if you are planning on taking it on highways, makes it dangerous as hell).

- Manual Transmission

- No Radio

- No Air Conditioning

Adding on to this, gas is just one part of operating a car. This S-Car will depreciate like all heck, more than offsetting the savings in gas

When is the last time you "tuned" the van? Your mileage shouldn't drop. Garbage tires will drop your mileage though, more rolling resistance

My wife and will be picking up a 200-250 cc cycle/scooter - something on the low end but not a moped. Kind of the transition between the two. We will use it for around town and anything that does not require travel on an interstate. My wife is too small for a large bike. We can even use it to go to work when we wish since we can get there without the interstate. Plus, there are some bikes in that range which can seat two people (of average size) relatively comfortably. My wife does not have her cycle license but she will take the course. The bikes we are considering get 70-90 mpg. We did some calculations based on the # of trips/miles we would use it and it will take about 20 months (~$3k) at the current gas prices to pay it. Less time for ROI when the price rises. Plus, though not Harley fun, it still is fun. We are keeping our current cars and using them when necessary or appropriate. Using this as an alternative due to the increasing $ we are spending on gasoline.

We are looking at the SYM or Kymco brands in this line.

Rip away.

If you are set on a small car, then I suppose your choices are between the SmartCar, the Yaris and the Fit. My understanding is that the Fit has the best crash test ratings, which should be important with small cars, so maybe think about looking into that as an option?

Then again, can a SmartCar be any less safe than being on a motorcycle? And we do not have problems with people taking risks with those.

If you are set on a small car, then I suppose your choices are between the SmartCar, the Yaris and the Fit. My understanding is that the Fit has the best crash test ratings, which should be important with small cars, so maybe think about looking into that as an option?

Then again, can a SmartCar be any less safe than being on a motorcycle? And we do not have problems with people taking risks with those.

The Fit, despite it being the butt of a joke on your local football message board, received above average ratings by Edmunds in almost all respects.

However, if you're looking for just price, the Chevy Aveo is the cheapest car available. It's got an MSRP of $10,235 with a manual transmission, an invoice of just over $9,000.

My wife and will be picking up a 200-250 cc cycle/scooter -

We are looking at the SYM or Kymco brands in this line.

Rip away.

OK, what are you spending?

Get a 3-4 year old 650-900cc metric cruiser. WAY more value for the money, reliable, fun & cool, and much more safer because it has the power to get out of its own way