Vehicle question for the MEN of TBD

RayFinkle

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work with a guy (kid) who went to a Lexus dealer and was hagling with them for a price. He told them "I don't want to pay more than $400 per month." Guy told him, "son, why don't you just go buy yourself a Taurus."

LOL. That was his first (and probably not only) mistake. You NEVER negotiate on the basis of the monthly payment; it's too easy for them to screw you in other ways while they make you "think" you got a good deal. When I'm buying a car I let the dealer think I'm paying cash until we've agreed on the price. I also negotiate any trade-in separately, and get my own financing set up beforehand. I then give their finance people a chance to match or beat the deal.

LOL. That was his first (and probably not only) mistake. You NEVER negotiate on the basis of the monthly payment; it's too easy for them to screw you in other ways while they make you "think" you got a good deal. When I'm buying a car I let the dealer think I'm paying cash until we've agreed on the price. I also negotiate any trade-in separately, and get my own financing set up beforehand. I then give their finance people a chance to match or beat the deal.

All good advice, the only further thing I would add is to NEVER walk into a dealership to negotiate the price of a car. Use the Fighting Chance method and the "Fax attack".

http://www.fightingchance.com/

All good advice, the only further thing I would add is to NEVER walk into a dealership to negotiate the price of a car. Use the Fighting Chance method and the "Fax attack".

http://www.fightingchance.com/

Have you used them NC? Went to that web site and looked pretty cool. Now, I am not planning on buying a car anytime soon, and usually buy used when I do, but that site looked great for buying a new car. And, I would think that now is a great time to buy

When I bought my Wrangler, I called several dealer, told them exactly what I wanted on the car and had them fax me a term sheet. Many of them did not want to do this, I said...I don't have the time to waste, I'm calling several dealers and will go to the one with the best price. I ended up with a pretty fair deal (I thought), considering everything I put on the Jeep.

Have you used them NC? Went to that web site and looked pretty cool. Now, I am not planning on buying a car anytime soon, and usually buy used when I do, but that site looked great for buying a new car. And, I would think that now is a great time to buy

Yes, I used that system to buy a 2007 Tacoma. I never set foot in a delaership, other than when I was test driving trucks to find out what I wanted. I faxed about 15 dealers near me laying out what I wanted and asked them to make me their best offer. I received legitimate responses from 7 of the 15 that I faxed. I didn't fax the dealer that I had test drove at, but I did give the salesman the opportunity to beat my best offer after I had narrowed it down. I ended up getting the truck I wanted for under invoice. For $40 it is well worth the money, time and aggravation saved. My wife will be up for a new car later this year and I will definitely be using it again.

Yes, I used that system to buy a 2007 Tacoma. I never set foot in a delaership, other than when I was test driving trucks to find out what I wanted. I faxed about 15 dealers near me laying out what I wanted and asked them to make me their best offer. I received legitimate responses from 7 of the 15 that I faxed. I didn't fax the dealer that I had test drove at, but I did give the salesman the opportunity to beat my best offer after I had narrowed it down. I ended up getting the truck I wanted for under invoice. For $40 it is well worth the money, time and aggravation saved. My wife will be up for a new car later this year and I will definitely be using it again.

cool, well thx for posting. I had never heard of them before, and will use them if i am in the market again!

Has anyone used that Fighting Chance in trying to lease a car? I know the pros and cons of leasing vs buying, just wondering how successful that system is for trying to get the best deal on a lease.

Has anyone used that Fighting Chance in trying to lease a car? I know the pros and cons of leasing vs buying, just wondering how successful that system is for trying to get the best deal on a lease.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean beating the shiit out of the salesman to get him to cave to your price...yeah I tried that.

My court case is comes up at the end of the month.

I purchased Fighting Chance this week. However, really if you know what the idea of fighting chance is, you don't need the $40 package. It does give you the true invoice in your area of every possible trim level and option, so it saves that little bit of research. But the main idea is you get the email address for the sales manager of several dealers of the same brand. You email all of them and explain that you will be basically giving your business to the one that can give you the best price.

One note that was mentioned above. Don't ever go in looking for a specific monthly payment (or at least asking for one). KNOW what the invoice price is. KNOW that they can go below that, and will.

It was fun for me to email the individual dealers each others offers and watch them try to explain away each others quotes, and eventually try to beat them.

What are you guys talking about? They put the price of the car on a nice sticker and put it right on the windshield. Nice and easy. I've NEVER paid more than the sticker price for a car.

At the VERY least you should get 1500-2000 off the sticker price... Heck back in 2006 I walked into the dealer (knew what I wanted) and offered 32,000 on a 46,000 fully loaded Chrysler Pacifica Limited AWD with navi and all the bells and whistles... Brand new!

I kick myself in the ass becuase I should have offered 30!

The best thing you can always do is have the cash in hand and be ready to cut the check, they will do anything! They even threw in free oil changes for life! ;):lol:

I purchased Fighting Chance this week. However, really if you know what the idea of fighting chance is, you don't need the $40 package. It does give you the true invoice in your area of every possible trim level and option, so it saves that little bit of research. But the main idea is you get the email address for the sales manager of several dealers of the same brand. You email all of them and explain that you will be basically giving your business to the one that can give you the best price.

One note that was mentioned above. Don't ever go in looking for a specific monthly payment (or at least asking for one). KNOW what the invoice price is. KNOW that they can go below that, and will.

It was fun for me to email the individual dealers each others offers and watch them try to explain away each others quotes, and eventually try to beat them.

Yep, thats exactly what I did when I bought my Lancer (emailed the dealers and played them back and forth - didn't buy Fighting Chance), and I got it well under what my credit union gave me as the invoice price!

What if they are offering 0% purchase financing? does that reduce your chance of getting a better price?

I would think so... Would they just bury the cost in the deal? Nothing like a clean deal... You'd be surprised how much it becomes a buyer's market when you have that leverage... 25%, 33% off certain models is very much possible... In fact, they probably will pick up what ever they take on that beating by beating somebody else that doesn't have that leverage.

Car shopping can be very enjoyabe when you control the purse strings...

I finalized the deal on my 2009 Murano yesterday afternoon. Already have the paperwork (which was faxed to me) and will add it to my insurance right before going in. I got ended up getting the vehicle for $1,090 below the invoice price listed on Edmunds.com. This was without once going to the dealership which I will be purchasing the vehicle at (West Herr Nissan). Mike Barney tried to compete, but couldn't come close on price.

I finalized the deal on my 2009 Murano yesterday afternoon. Already have the paperwork (which was faxed to me) and will add it to my insurance right before going in. I got ended up getting the vehicle for $1,090 below the invoice price listed on Edmunds.com. This was without once going to the dealership which I will be purchasing the vehicle at (West Herr Nissan). Mike Barney tried to compete, but couldn't come close on price.

Nice. ;)

Good going, Steve.

I've always felt that the Murano is a very well-styled vehicle, standing out from today's jellybean look-alikes.