Vehicle question for the MEN of TBD

RayFinkle

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::doh:

You think that is funny! Watch this one... I used to also own an old late 1980's "Zuki"... They can even recover the bigger and "badder" H2!

IMHO,The smaller the wheel base the better (like the old TJ's, YJ's, and CJ's)! There is a "sweet spot" with "Jeep" wheel bases at about 85" to 95"... The nomenclature on the Samurai's believe it or not was the SJ or "Suzuki Jeep"... There is a reason why that structure has lasted so long (over 60 years)... Bigger doesn't mean better!

Watch this... Suzuki SideKick (almost stock) kicks arse over a rigged Jeep... I'll will admit, this last video may be faked or maybe not? ??

Again... It isn't the size of the wand... It is the magic in it!

:oops::beer:

Some real cool vids!

Oh, that last video with the SJ Vs. the CJ?

My son and I have used this guy's advice (he's a physicist) to win numerous PineWood Derbies:

PineWood Derby

Yet by all practical application you would think a longer wheel base would give you an advantage when it comes to angle of rotation:

The car that beat it was built by a smart little girl who had been studying this site - and who had incorporated some of the physics. It had one feature which was a surprise - and it caused Grandpa to reconsider some of the arguments about a long wheelbase. It turns out that a long wheelbase adds comfort in a real car for the passengers - but actually wastes more energy over bumps. The angle of rotation (over any bump) is less with the longer wheelbase, as argued above, but the lever arm is also longer - and that goes as the square - while the angle goes as linear. More angle, less length is better than less angle, more length. As short a wheelbase as can remain stable is probably the best choice. In most cases, the smoother a car operates, the less energy wasted, but Grandpa is thinking the wheelbase may be an exception because of the rotational inertia consideration.

So in all essence:

HumVees = Crap V. the smaller wheel bases... IMO.

:oops:

FiSD... Everything can convey a point that the maker (of the video) wants to convey! Just poking fun and getting all "geeky"...

:oops:

Check out this video, I think it's made out at the Imperial Sand Dunes where I go off roading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWhhQqmW0k...feature=related

Here is another real fun one of sand cars racing. This is how I prefer my off roading

Check out this video, I think it's made out at the Imperial Sand Dunes where I go off roading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWhhQqmW0k...feature=related

Here is another real fun one of sand cars racing. This is how I prefer my off roading

I saw those! Pretty wild! The first one was all driver to an extent, could have gone really bad!

:oops::beer:

BTW, I just picked up my new Murano on Saturday. Have about 300 miles on it, as I did alot of driving over the weekend. I averaged 21.6 MPG, this is with just about even parts highway (I90) and "city" (North Tonawanda and the Southtowns, split). If I ever had to drive it in really city conditions, I'm sure I'd be closer to 16-17 or so, but for now, I'm not too unhappy with the MPG. The fact that I live 4.5 miles from work is a plus, too :lol: