Vehicle question for the MEN of TBD

RayFinkle

With the price of gas, I am looking at purchasing a small SUV as opposed to a gas guzzler. What type of small SUV can I drive that won't require me to turn in my man card and have people ask "Why are you driving your wife's car to work?"

My first thoughts:

Dodge Nitro

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2009 Murano and it averages around 20 mpg. Not great, but not horrible, and (I think) it looks pretty good while giving me the hatchback option for those trips to Home Depot, etc.

With the price of gas, I am looking at purchasing a small SUV as opposed to a gas guzzler. What type of small SUV can I drive that won't require me to turn in my man card and have people ask "Why are you driving your wife's car to work?"

My first thoughts:

Dodge Nitro

Are you a tradesman? Are you transporting several people around on a daily basis, or have the need to move cargo about?

Are you a tradesman? Are you transporting several people around on a daily basis, or have the need to move cargo about?

No, and not on a daily basis on people or cargo.

No, and not on a daily basis on people or cargo.

Then buy a sedan (you can call it a saloon, to give it an European air, which will let you punch your man card with a back-patting "well done!").

The Ford 500 - renamed Taurus for MY 2007 - has a high roof line, very generous interior space and driver visibility, and has a trunk that will hold 5 golf bags or four dead RayFinkles. Decent gasoline mileage.

There is an AWD option.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...rd-taurus-5.htm

Edited by stuckincincy

We'll probably trade my Dodge Dakota in for something smaller and better on gas mileage for my wife to use with the car seat for the baby, and when we do I'll be using her current '02 Honda CR-V...runs great, AWD for winter, pretty good gas mileage (23-25 combined) and decent cargo area.

I just bought a new Jeep Compass.....28 MPG.....from the 14 MPG that my F-150 got.....I am happy!

FWD or AWD?

I would personally prefer its' sister construction, the Patriot, for its' better driver visibility. Unfortunately - as it the norm - you have to submit to rear privacy glass and the diminished night visibility in anything but the bare-bone versions. That's not unique to Jeep, of course.

FWD or AWD?

I would personally prefer its' sister construction, the Patriot, for its' better driver visibility. Unfortunately - as it the norm - you have to submit to rear privacy glass and the diminished night visibility in anything but the bare-bone versions. That's not unique to Jeep, of course.

I almost bought the Patriot but believe it or not I (6'6) fit more comfortably in the Compass....Mine is a FWD.