James Hardy

I have NO idea what happened and make NO excuses for anyone, but aren't Hardy's parents essentially "no-shows" from his youth who have magically reappeared in his life now that a big NFL contract is in the works?

Based upon that scant article, here's what we DO know: Hardy has a legal handgun permit, no shots were fired, nobody was hurt, and the police have no plans to follow up. Have I missed something?

I think you missed the most important thing: Hardy made the decision to pull out a gun and point it at somebody over an argument. His life wasn't in danger, there was no physical confrontation - it was an argument.

Somebody with this these types of decision making skills is going to get into trouble time and again - and since he carries a gun on him there's always a chance he ends up hurting somebody seriously.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the DUI/DWIs, Domestic abuse et al on the superbowl teams, I would think by now character = football character on the field and not the person off the field. I don't know how many times I've heard marv say that, yet fans are eager with the first player screw up to claim we've stopped getting character guys. If it's 3rd and 8 from the seven and he's dogging it, then talk to me. Til he has been proven to be a menace to the greater WNY community (and apparently does not go to a pro bowl) I'll reserve judgment.

Maybe a little.....

1) The incident took place at 1:30 PM on Mothers Day, in a back yard. Alcohol involved? We don't know.

2) If he pointed the gun at his father, the father would have to be the complainant. In NYS, this would constitute a charge of menacing. The female caller (would be curious as to who that was) stated that his gun was drawn, but the gun was legal and not pointed at her. The father doesn't seem to want to be a complainant, thus no arrest.

3) He is a 6'7" professional athlete. His father must be a pretty tough guy for Hardy to need to use a handgun against him, or threaten to.

4) Given this and his other episode, a case could be made that Hardy is at least somewhat unstable. I am glad that nobody was hurt this time, and I hope that he get serious help. I would hate to see him hurt somebody, and the Bills need a tall receiver.

bill

"No charges have been filed. The younger Hardy has a permit to carry a gun, and the police say they have no plans to pursue the matter further"

this is america. inspite of fascist laws in states like ny, there is a second amendment that allows citizens to keep weapons.

although the soviet of new york city has managed to trample the consititution, owning a gun is not illegal in most parts of the usa or anywhere near wrong.

i am worried about the kid tho.

Hey Hardy - When you officially move to the 716, leave your piece and dead beat dad back in Fort Wayne please. Trust me, you'll be safe living here in OP or Hamburg and be able to concentrate on football and not have to "watch your back." Maybe you should let him know that Dick.

And I went on the record with my buddies saying I would purchase a Hardy jersey when made available...I think that's on hold right now. He doesn't strike me as a bad kid, but he needs to grow up in a hurry and make good decisions off the field. Please Lee Evans you're a pro, take him under your wing.

His father had a reason for being a no-show: he was in prison. Nine years for drug-dealing.

So, yeah, I'll wait for the rest of the story.

I can see it now. A scene from the Last Boyscout. Hardy catches a pass, run down the field, pulls out a gun and starts popping DB's as he runs.

He and Whitner should be roomies. Seems like they both like to get into trouble, but somehow manage to get charge dropped or not pressed against them.

:flirt:

leave your piece

i agree the kid needs to make better moves and avoid the negative element -- but what is with the gun hate?

what part of france is orchard park in?

guy has a constitutional G-damn right to own weapons. for all we know his father WAS threatening him.

I can't understand these guys at all. It's pretty simple - keep it together and you're going to hit a payday the rest of us could only dream about. Hardy stands to make more in his signing bonus than I'll make most of my working career, all he has to do is stay clean.

And what is stay clean? Does it mean you have to be a boy scout? Does it mean you have to be th face of the United Way or some other charity in the community? Does it mean everyone has to look up to you as some sort of great person? No. The bar is pretty damn low. As far as I can tell, the bar is actually set at "don't do anything illegal". You can be a dirtbag. You can be a person nobody likes, a real a-hole, just don't do anything illegal and you'll get your money. Life is not a Tupac video. It's not that hard. Sheeshh...

As far as I can tell, the bar is actually set at "don't do anything illegal". You can be a dirtbag. You can be a person nobody likes, a real a-hole, just don't do anything illegal and you'll get your money.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

i agree the kid needs to make better moves and avoid the negative element -- but what is with the gun hate?

guy has a constitutional G-damn right to own weapons. for all we know his father WAS threatening him.

No hate, just advice. I'm well aware of the Second Amendment and and the fact that the gun is legally registered.

Wow what an overreaction. Where is the proof he pulled out a handgun? and if he did nowhere does it say he pointed the gun at his father. Many, many, many of the nfl players like a lot of the American population have handguns, i could be wrong but I thought this was a constitutional right.

Wow what an overreaction. Where is the proof he pulled out a handgun? and if he did nowhere does it say he pointed the gun at his father. Many, many, many of the nfl players like a lot of the American population have handguns, i could be wrong but I thought this was a constitutional right.

Now you've done it...

I agree with you, it does seem to be an overreaction without the facts. That said, while you do have a constitutional right to firearms ownership, you do not have the right to go around pointing them at other people under most circumstances. We don't know what happened here, but if Hardy did pull a gun on his father, he probably shouldn't have. I doubt that his life was in any danger, which, IMO, is the only time you have the right to do so.

nice over reaction. Just remember that Ralph Wilson Still supports the likes of OJ who murdered two people and still uses his box at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Fans still ask OJ for autographs, so a reciever who get is a fight with his father for abandoning him as a youngster isn't quite so bad.

I beleive OJ was found "Not Guilty" Why shouldn't he still be supported? He was a great buffalo bill.

2nd Amendment does not give you the de facto right to own a gun. It is actually being discussed before the Supreme Court right now.

I can't understand these guys at all. It's pretty simple - keep it together and you're going to hit a payday the rest of us could only dream about. Hardy stands to make more in his signing bonus than I'll make most of my working career, all he has to do is stay clean.

And what is stay clean? Does it mean you have to be a boy scout? Does it mean you have to be th face of the United Way or some other charity in the community? Does it mean everyone has to look up to you as some sort of great person? No. The bar is pretty damn low. As far as I can tell, the bar is actually set at "don't do anything illegal". You can be a dirtbag. You can be a person nobody likes, a real a-hole, just don't do anything illegal and you'll get your money. Life is not a Tupac video. It's not that hard. Sheeshh...

In this case staying clean probably begins with cutting virtually all family ties and ties to the town you grew up in. Not an easy thing for a young person (a person of any age to be honest) to do. We all want to know that our parents love us and care about us. Unfortunately his probably (certainly) do not have his best interests at heart. He does need to cut ties with much of his past and hold onto those who have been a positive influence on his life. Can he? I certainly hope so, first for him as a human being and second for him as a Buffalo Bill.

I hold out hope.

Let's see. The father did not file a complaint, there was a permit. Neighbor called the police. Sounds like a non-starter to me. I think since we don't know the facts and no complaint was filed we might just withold judgment. I'm not looking for Mother Teresa, I'm just looking for a No. 2 receiver.

I beleive OJ was found "Not Guilty" Why shouldn't he still be supported? He was a great buffalo bill.

Not guilty is not the same as innocent.

If Hardy pulled a handgun and his father was unarmed, the younger Hardy could have been arrested, concealed weapons licence or not. It all has to do with appropriate response of force.