Dane Cook. Overrated or what?

The Dean

Oh boy, judging someone as whether they are "miserable" or not, and then throwing out insults for absolutely no reason. Good stuff.

I'm not saying either, just that he's not the angel you make him out to be.

I had no idea I made him out to be an "angel." :thumbsup:

The point is that he's upbeat. Most stand-ups are misearable, negative people. Mostly because it's easier to be funny that way. My point is that Dane Cook isn't like that. You're the one who took issue with it for no apparent reason. Unless the "Yuk-Yuk incident" really caused you to lose some sleep when it happened. :wallbash:

If you really didn't like his comedy, you could just explain why. You don't have to hit Wikipedia find a reason why or cite Joe Rogan, whose full-time job is apparently to convince people that he's the real brains behind comics who are actually successful.

I've never heard of this guy, but it doesn't sound like I've missed much except another dope scraping for the LCD. Best line from the article:

In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO -- "Arli$$" included.

Yikes :thumbsup:

I'm with SnR on this. I find Dane Cook hilarious. Rough Around the Edges had me laughing the entire time. The guy's not as good as Carlin and Rock (never liked Pryor too much), but he's funny.

As for stealing material, theres about 5 types of jokes you can tell, so all comedians "steal" material.

I had no idea I made him out to be an "angel." :thumbsup:

The point is that he's upbeat. Most stand-ups are misearable, negative people. Mostly because it's easier to be funny that way. My point is that Dane Cook isn't like that. You're the one who took issue with it for no apparent reason. Unless the "Yuk-Yuk incident" really caused you to lose some sleep when it happened. :wallbash:

You made him out to be a better person than most comics. I was simply pointing out that he's no better or worse a person than other comics, and that he isn't all hunky dory.

If you really didn't like his comedy, you could just explain why. You don't have to hit Wikipedia find a reason why or cite Joe Rogan, whose full-time job is apparently to convince people that he's the real brains behind comics who are actually successful.

Ah, gonna take a page out of Molson's playbook, eh? Nice :devil:

Here's the facts:

1.) I knew about all of these incidents from this blog post, though my sense of time (6 months vs a year) was off.

2.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://danecookisahack.ytmnd.com/

3.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwCiyR4-YLc

4.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_710y4vR4

5.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=DwziusD9hvU

6.) others that I don't need to link, since I proved my point.

You made him out to be a better person than most comics. I was simply pointing out that he's no better or worse a person than other comics, and that he isn't all hunky dory.

Ah, gonna take a page out of Molson's playbook, eh? Nice :thumbsup:

Here's the facts:

1.) I knew about all of these incidents from this blog post, though my sense of time (6 months vs a year) was off.

2.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://danecookisahack.ytmnd.com/

3.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwCiyR4-YLc

4.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_710y4vR4

5.) I also knew about the joke stealing from http://youtube.com/watch?v=DwziusD9hvU

6.) others that I don't need to link, since I proved my point.

It all comes down to Bill Hicks. The man is a !@#$ing genius-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFzjXnOqks8&feature=related

If loud yelling and lots of extreme enunciation is funny, then Dane cook is hilarious.

What about continuous walking back and for accross the stage?

I dispise Dane Cook, I don't think I have ever laughed at anything he has done.

the only one worse is Joe Rogan, He is a comedian?????? How is he famous? He was a marginal character on News Radio who was never funny, and the host of Fear Factor. The only reason I might put him infront of Dane Cook is because Rogan does have some cool cars

I agree. I never understood the hype. As for comedy- I love Bill Hicks and Mitch Hepberg

Talk about overrated: Mitch Hedberg.

I do not get this guy at all. His material is not funny, his delivery is not funny, ...

I would rather listen to Steven Wright. At least his deadpan delivery was humorous and tolerable for a period of time.

I do not get this guy at all. His material is not funny, his delivery is not funny, ...

I would rather listen to Steven Wright. At least his deadpan delivery was humorous and tolerable for a period of time.

Blasphemer.

Also: Dane Cook is not very funny.

Humor is subjective and to each their own. I love Mitch's delivery and think his material was top notch. The guy cracks me up-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_bESBs3Lg7M&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TBiNriy87OA&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFzjXnOqks8&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt1jnkpe7E&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5V9SHdNnb6c&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q1LKVPSpIDA&feature=related

Ah, gonna take a page out of Molson's playbook, eh? Nice :censored:

Says the dude who says he hates Dane Cook and gets his rationale directly from the Wikipedia entry. :thumbsup::wallbash::devil:

I don't think I said he was a better person. I've never met him so I can't confirm that he's some great guy. But his persona on stage and in interviews is upbeat and positive, which is refreshing and a better attitude than most comediens. And since "on stage" and "in interviews" is the only time I see him, that's all I care about.

Now Google up some more reasons you personally hate Dane Cook.

I'm with SnR on this. I find Dane Cook hilarious. Rough Around the Edges had me laughing the entire time. The guy's not as good as Carlin and Rock (never liked Pryor too much), but he's funny.

As for stealing material, theres about 5 types of jokes you can tell, so all comedians "steal" material.

Rough Around the Edges was good, but definitely a step down from Retaliation. His "needy kids" and "Oprah" bits were both hilarious. Benson's Animal Farm was good as well.

"This is where Benson's used to be!!"

A lot of the people in this thread are complaining about his HBO special (which I didn't see) and Vicious Circle (which did really suck), and I don't have much to say about those.

:thumbsup: Everyone is entitled to a bad opinion.

I like escalators because an escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You'll never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience. We apologize that you can still get up there.

I sit at my hotel at night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny.

I want to be a race car passenger. Just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say, man, can I turn on the radio?" "You should slow down." "Why we gotta keep going in circles?" "Man, you really like Tide."

Every day for breakfast I have a bowl of instant oatmeal, then I don't do anything for an hour. Makes me wonder why I need the instant oatmeal. I could get the regular oatmeal and feel productive.

Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load sh-- into a truck.

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

One time, this guy handed me a picture of him, he said,"Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger.

I saw a commercial on late night TV, it said,"Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were.

Says the dude who says he hates Dane Cook and gets his rationale directly from the Wikipedia entry. :thumbsup::wallbash::devil:

I don't think I said he was a better person. I've never met him so I can't confirm that he's some great guy. But his persona on stage and in interviews is upbeat and positive, which is refreshing and a better attitude than most comediens. And since "on stage" and "in interviews" is the only time I see him, that's all I care about.

Now Google up some more reasons you personally hate Dane Cook.

I would have thought that you would have learned that saying false things over and over doesn't make them true.

Its funny how you slam Molson for the whole Fox News bit, then do this. Exact same thing.

Rough Around the Edges was good, but definitely a step down from Retaliation. His "needy kids" and "Oprah" bits were both hilarious. Benson's Animal Farm was good as well.

"This is where Benson's used to be!!"

A lot of the people in this thread are complaining about his HBO special (which I didn't see) and Vicious Circle (which did really suck), and I don't have much to say about those.

OVerall, vicious circle wasnt as good as some of his other stuff. Did you see the cutdown version, or the full version? Because there was some stuff on the full version that was fall off your chair hilarious.

I would have thought that you would have learned that saying false things over and over doesn't make them true.

Its funny how you slam Molson for the whole Fox News bit, then do this. Exact same thing.

Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe that you read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" months ago and were so offended by it that you had it ready to bring up should Dane Cook ever come up. And that Dane Cook stole some bit from Joe Rogan years ago, which you also knew about and which also gave you a strong dislike of DC. Same with Louis C.K. and Demetri Martin. You must have a remarkable memory and/or strong interest in Dane Cook's career.

I can actually talk about what I like about what Dane Cook does on stage. Most of the people here who don't like him are talking about what he does on stage that they don't like. You're the one bringing up the stupid crap that NO ONE cares about. So either you have extremely unorthodox methods of choosing what comics you like, or you just dug up whatever you could find after the fact to support your opinion.

:thumbsup: Everyone is entitled to a bad opinion.

Yep. Including you.

I like escalators because an escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You'll never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience. We apologize that you can still get up there.

I have listened to this one, more than once. This is supposed to be one of his best (if not the best) jokes. I have never laughed at it. Maybe it's just me. I have seen "Out of Order" signs on escalators before. And I have watched people crowd the stairs next to the escalator so they would not have to use the 'broken' escalator. To me, the absurdity was not someone bothered to put an out of order sign on the escalator, but the fact people would not use the escalator because the sign was on it. Maybe if he had focused on that aspect ....

I sit at my hotel at night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny.

Another stupid joke. One has to assume Mitch was funny to be begin with, which he was not. So the joke just dies.

That seems to be the 'problem' I have with Mitch. All of his material had this 'out of synch' feel to it. The focus of the joke was off, the delivery was wrong, etc..

Maybe I need to be wasted on Heroin to get it.

Yep. Including you.

I have listened to this one, more than once. This is supposed to be one of his best (if not the best) jokes. I have never laughed at it. Maybe it's just me. I have seen "Out of Order" signs on escalators before. And I have watched people crowd the stairs next to the escalator so they would not have to use the 'broken' escalator. To me, the absurdity was not someone bothered to put an out of order sign on the escalator, but the fact people would not use the escalator because the sign was on it. Maybe if he had focused on that aspect ....

Another stupid joke. One has to assume Mitch was funny to be begin with, which he was not. So the joke just dies.

That seems to be the 'problem' I have with Mitch. All of his material had this 'out of synch' feel to it. The focus of the joke was off, the delivery was wrong, etc..

Maybe I need to be wasted on Heroin to get it.

I bet you're a riot at parties.

Yeah, and I'm supposed to believe that you read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" months ago and were so offended by it that you had it ready to bring up should Dane Cook ever come up. And that Dane Cook stole some bit from Joe Rogan years ago, which you also knew about and which also gave you a strong dislike of DC. Same with Louis C.K. and Demetri Martin. You must have a remarkable memory and/or strong interest in Dane Cook's career.

I guess I must have a "remarkable memory" then, to remember something that I read. I guess you don't remember reading blog posts/news stories/etc 6 months after you read them? :devil:

I read the posts on the internets about it (and that blog) when the topic has come up on other forums. I watched the youtube videos, and the ytmnd. Yet I'm not supposed to remember any of that? :thumbsup:

So, if in 6 months I ask you about the Dane Cook thread, you won't remember it? :wallbash:

I can actually talk about what I like about what Dane Cook does on stage. Most of the people here who don't like him are talking about what he does on stage that they don't like.

Which, as I pointed out, I dislike him because he doesn't actually tell any jokes.

You're the one bringing up the stupid crap that NO ONE cares about. So either you have extremely unorthodox methods of choosing what comics you like, or you just dug up whatever you could find after the fact to support your opinion.

Funny, really, seeing as how you said:

Dane Cook takes crap from other comediens because 1. he's WAY more successful than they are and 2. he's not a misearable human being like a ton of them are. It's amazing how many comediens are bitter losers just venting onstage.

and I'm providing evidence to the contrary (he takes crap because he steals jokes and acts like an ass).

It could be a generationl thing that for old farts, Dane Cook just isn't funny, and for the life of us, we can't figure out how he can sell out 15K+ seat arenas. Of course comedy is subjective, but I still find it odd that this guys has broken all sales records for "comedy" albums. Must be the water.

Of course, if generation gap was the reason, how do I explain laughing on the floor at Buddy Hacket's HBO special some 30 years ago and Dean Martin's roasts? Those guys were my grandparents' generation, and they were funny.

Whether it's the delivery or performance art, I just don't find the guy funny, which to me should be among the main qualifications for a stand-up comic.

I guess I must have a "remarkable memory" then, to remember something that I read. I guess you don't remember reading blog posts/news stories/etc 6 months after you read them? :censored:

I read the posts on the internets about it (and that blog) when the topic has come up on other forums. I watched the youtube videos, and the ytmnd. Yet I'm not supposed to remember any of that? :wallbash:

I remember things that are actually important. And I'm smart enough to dismiss things that aren't important or are misleading.

I read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" a long time ago and pretty much forgot about it until you brought it back up because it is so inconsequential. I have a hard time believing you (or anyone really) could give that much of a crap about it that you'd always have it in mind when Dane Cook came up. And I think the "evidence" that he steals jokes is pretty unconvincing.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :devil:

Which, as I pointed out, I dislike him because he doesn't actually tell any jokes.

Which doesn't actually mean anything. I've read that criticism of him about a thousand times in magazine articles but it really doesn't mean anything. He's on stage, he has a microphone, he brings up topics, and makes people laugh about them. Those sound like jokes to me.

I'm glad your most specific criticism of his act is something that doesn't even mean anything. :thumbsup:

and I'm providing evidence to the contrary (he takes crap because he steals jokes and acts like an ass).

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :censored::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

It could be a generationl thing that for old farts, Dane Cook just isn't funny, and for the life of us, we can't figure out how he can sell out 15K+ seat arenas. Of course comedy is subjective, but I still find it odd that this guys has broken all sales records for "comedy" albums. Must be the water.

Of course, if generation gap was the reason, how do I explain laughing on the floor at Buddy Hacket's HBO special some 30 years ago and Dean Martin's roasts? Those guys were my grandparents' generation, and they were funny.

Whether it's the delivery or performance art, I just don't find the guy funny, which to me should be among the main qualifications for a stand-up comic.

Buddy Hacket, now there is a blast from the past. He still alive?

I remember a line from one of his last HBO shows where he was talking about Bob Newhart or Carson or someone and he says 'he's so classy he gets out of the shower to take a piss. Now that's class!'.

Funny funny guy.

I've never been impressed with Dane. I don't care enough about him to hate him or go out of my way to put him down, but I've never really found him funny. There are a ton of no-name comedians on the Comedy Channel funnier than him.

I remember things that are actually important. And I'm smart enough to dismiss things that aren't important or are misleading.

I read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" a long time ago and pretty much forgot about it until you brought it back up because it is so inconsequential. I have a hard time believing you (or anyone really) could give that much of a crap about it that you'd always have it in mind when Dane Cook came up. And I think the "evidence" that he steals jokes is pretty unconvincing.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :wallbash:

Which doesn't actually mean anything. I've read that criticism of him about a thousand times in magazine articles but it really doesn't mean anything. He's on stage, he has a microphone, he brings up topics, and makes people laugh about them. Those sound like jokes to me.

I'm glad your most specific criticism of his act is something that doesn't even mean anything. :thumbsup:

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :devil::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

Maybe you should get rid of the Mandy Moore Picture from your avatar and replace it with a Dane Cook one (but leave the caption below). You sure seem to take this thing personally that someone doesn't like Dane Cook.

Who cares if other people don't like him. If you do fine, maybe you find him funny, put in a couple of his DVD's and watch them (maybe break a couple of them up with a Jimmy Fallon comedy special), laugh your @ss off, and go get in line with the other 12-16 year old girls buying Dane Cook tickets when he comes to your area.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :wallbash:

I'm so shocked that you're going to continue believing what you want to believe. SHOCKED.

No, the criticism means he just isn't funny, and lots of his material is lacking humorous punch lines. His "jokes" seem to be more his antics than his material.

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :devil::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

I suppose this is why Carlos Mencia gets a lot of flak for stealing jokes too, while other successful comedians (Seinfeld, Rock, Murphy, Cosby, Carlin, Dangerfield, Regan, Pryor, Martin, Hedberg, Chappelle, Williams, Foxworthy, etc) don't?

I dunno If anyone has heard of Aries Spears but I saw him last summer when I was staying in Cleveland for the weekend of the HOF induction and he was hilarious, very underrated and I hope someday he makes it big.

I love his 30 minute CC standup special! Thought he was hilarious on Mad TV as well, back when it was good.

Maybe you should get rid of the Mandy Moore Picture from your avatar and replace it with a Dane Cook one (but leave the caption below). You sure seem to take this thing personally that someone doesn't like Dane Cook.

Wow, you really burned me. Maybe you should be a comedian. :lol:<_<

I actually don't care that some people don't like Dane Cook. I do care that looking down on Dane Cook is somehow this cheap way to appear to have great taste in comedy. That's why you hear "he doesn't really have any jokes" everywhere (and it still means nothing) and people citing his "controversial" material/act decisions. If you don't like him, that's fine. If you're digging for a reason not to like him, that's pathetic.

Who cares if other people don't like him. If you do fine, maybe you find him funny, put in a couple of his DVD's and watch them (maybe break a couple of them up with a Jimmy Fallon comedy special), laugh your @ss off, and go get in line with the other 12-16 year old girls buying Dane Cook tickets when he comes to your area.
Yes, I am a 12 year old girl and I have a poster of Jimmy Fallon on my wall. Wow, you are so super funny. No, seriously, that's some groundbreaking sh-- right there. Jimmy Fallon? No way! Indeed, with a quick wit like that, I'm much more prone to taking your opinions of comedians seriously. <_<<_<

You really trying to score points with the "everyone who likes Dane Cook is a teenage girl" card? That's sad.

I'm so shocked that you're going to continue believing what you want to believe. SHOCKED.

Just cite your sources next time.

No, the criticism means he just isn't funny, and lots of his material is lacking humorous punch lines. His "jokes" seem to be more his antics than his material.

But you didn't say he "isn't funny." You said he doesn't have jokes, which is the same tired cliche criticism people have been throwing at him for years.

Not all jokes need "humorous punch lines." And certainly not all comedians rely on them. I would say most don't. Delivery/"antics" mean a lot when you're performing on stage.

I suppose this is why Carlos Mencia gets a lot of flak for stealing jokes too, while other successful comedians (Seinfeld, Rock, Murphy, Cosby, Carlin, Dangerfield, Regan, Pryor, Martin, Hedberg, Chappelle, Williams, Foxworthy, etc) don't?
CM gets a lot of crap because his stuff isn't very original and a lot of it isn't very good. But no one would care if he wasn't successful. Also, you can't use CM criticism to validate criticism of Dane Cook. The evidence that he's "stealing jokes" is flimsy at best, especially when you (and pretty much everyone) is acknowledging that his "antics" are what sells the jokes. How could someone who "doesn't tell jokes" also be "stealing jokes" from the really talented comedians? Hmmm. :lol:

at least a couple of them have been accused of stealing jokes. Hell, Foxworthy bought the "You might be a redneck" bit. So this claim doesn't hold that much water

I bet you're a riot at parties.

Actually, I am to a point. I may not be bust out side splitting funny (and I never claimed I was), but I have been called funny, humorous and easy going. I have also been told I have a great sense of humor.

Cook has his moments but he's not as great as his legion of fans think he is. As mentioned guys like Louis CK and Patton Oswald are much funnier. I used to like Jim Norton too but he absolutely bombed on his last HBO special. Another guy that gets me going who hadn't seen mentioned is Dave Attell. In terms of "old school" stand up comedians, I'm a big time George Carlin. I also feel that Bill Cosby's Himself is one of the funniest routines I've seen on tv and heard. I say heard as my parents had it on vinyl and would listen to it too.

at least a couple of them have been accused of stealing jokes. Hell, Foxworthy bought the "You might be a redneck" bit. So this claim doesn't hold that much water

Theres a difference between buying and stealing...

Cook has his moments but he's not as great as his legion of fans think he is. As mentioned guys like Louis CK and Patton Oswald are much funnier. I used to like Jim Norton too but he absolutely bombed on his last HBO special. Another guy that gets me going who hadn't seen mentioned is Dave Attell. In terms of "old school" stand up comedians, I'm a big time George Carlin. I also feel that Bill Cosby's Himself is one of the funniest routines I've seen on tv and heard. I say heard as my parents had it on vinyl and would listen to it too.

:lol:

Cosby is the master of comedic storytelling. It is hard to believe that his material is 20, 30, and even 40 years old, and still funny as hell.

One of my all time favorite bits is "My Father Confused Me".

"... from the age of 1 to 7, I thought my name was Jesus Christ ...."

I love his 30 minute CC standup special! Thought he was hilarious on Mad TV as well, back when it was good.

He seems like a really good guy too, I got the chance to chat with him after his show(actually bought an audio cd with some of his stuff on it and he signed it) and he seems real down to earth. Like I said he is a guy I would like to see get a break. He does incredible impersonations.