Dane Cook. Overrated or what?

The Dean

I flip over to Comedy Central during halftime of the NC/Louisville game and watch Dane Cook's, Vicious Circle.

Now, I have seen Cook's standup a few times. Usually, though, I find him to be very marginal, as a stand up. Well, based on what I have seen tonight, this guy SUCKS. Freakin' Carrot Top is funnier than this guy. (I am NOT suggesting Carrot Top is funny.)

IMO, good standup should be smart. This guy is a stone-cold moron...and not in a good way...yet, everyone is SCREAMING (not really laughing, though, just SCREAMING).

What's the appeal with this guy?

I flip over to Comedy Central during halftime of the NC/Louisville game and watch Dane Cook's, Vicious Circle.

Now, I have seen Cook's standup a few times. Usually, though, I find him to be very marginal, as a stand up. Well, based on what I have seen tonight, this guy SUCKS. Freakin' Carrot Top is funnier than this guy. (I am NOT suggesting Carrot Top is funny.)

IMO, good standup should be smart. This guy is a stone-cold moron...and not in a good way...yet, everyone is SCREAMING (not really laughing, though, just SCREAMING).

He's watchable. But I am not one of those people that will laugh at ANYTHING he says because he's Dane Cook.... and there are ALOT of people like that.

Pablo Francisco, Nick Swardson... THOSE are some funny guys

He's watchable. But I am not one of those people that will laugh at ANYTHING he says because he's Dane Cook.... and there are ALOT of people like that.

Pablo Francisco, Nick Swardson... THOSE are some funny guys

I'm not a huge fan of Swardson. But, he's good on Reno 911 and I have seen him do some pretty funny s#it.

As you note, it seems like these people are screaming at ANYTHING he says, even if it isn't close to funny. Is it a cult?

I agree. I never understood the hype. As for comedy- I love Bill Hicks and Mitch Hepberg

Mitch Hedburg committed suicide about 4 years ago. Too bad he was really funny.

Dom Irrera is funny. My brother and I try to catch him whenever he comes to the Comix Cafe. The Amazing Jonathan was really funny but I haven't heard anything about him or from him in awhile.

I've never watched Dane Cook. The ads for his show on Comedy Central don't seem funny at all and I have no interest in him.

Remember the guy who did the whole; "You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you..... " Oh God how did he get his 15 minutes of fame?!!

Never really gotten him as a 'film actor' either. Not sure I've ever seen a character more miscast than him as a fitness trainer (?) in "Dan in Real Life"...

Boy, you're not kidding. I didn't even know who Dane Cook was until they started advertising the special on CC. I Tivo'd it and when he came out, it was like he was the second coming of Lenny Bruce.

Worst standup I've heard since Dice's "The Day the Laughter Died". Absolutely terrible. I'm still amazed that apparently upwards of 15 grand actually paid AND stayed through it. That dude is a train wreck with a microphone.

Dom Irrera is funny. My brother and I try to catch him whenever he comes to the Comix Cafe. The Amazing Jonathan was really funny but I haven't heard anything about him or from him in awhile.

I've never watched Dane Cook. The ads for his show on Comedy Central don't seem funny at all and I have no interest in him.

Remember the guy who did the whole; "You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you..... " Oh God how did he get his 15 minutes of fame?!!

Mitch Hedburg OD'd on speed balls a few years ago on April Fools day. His jokes were so well written. I saw Amazing Jonathon's house on a show and he has all these elaborate gags built in- and he messes with his guests. Pretty funny

I also like Irrera and think The Amazing Jonathon is (was) funny. the problem with both of those guys is, they don't update their act much. Jonathon is pretty much one-note, as far as i can tell. I've seen Irrera a few times live and a lot on TV and his act (at least the funny stuff) doesn't change a hell of a lot.

It's kids who've never seen real stand up. My 17-year old daughter and her friends can't get enough of him. Whenever I say he can't hold a candle to guys like Carlin, Pryor, etc. she just calls me old. Sigh...

It's kids who've never seen real stand up. My 17-year old daughter and her friends can't get enough of him. Whenever I say he can't hold a candle to guys like Carlin, Pryor, etc. she just calls me old. Sigh...

The thing is, he can't hold a candle to the guy at the laugh factory in Anytown, USA on a Thursday night. As far as I can tell, it's all energy with him. Virtually NOTHING he says is that funny.

There are some terrific standup comedians, these days, IMO. This guy simply isn't one of them.

Apparently other comedians don't think much of his act, either.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15643423/

Now, I don't think Jim Breuer is very funny, either (better than Cook, though). It makes sense that Breuer seems to like him more than most comics as Breuer is another guy whose act is based on energy (and his stoned look) but who lacks actual MATERIAL.

Apparently Cook is a thief. That's not unusual in Comedy...the same is said about Carlos Mencia (overrated to be sure, but is at least a little funny). But they say Dane stole a bunch of Louis CK's early act. If so, Louis must have trashed it because it wasn't funny. CK is ten times the comedian Cook is.

It's his look that caters to teenage/young college girls. It makes up a large majority of his moronic fanbase. One of the least funniest comedians out there.

Cook is more of a dramaqueen than a comedian. He does have an artistic flow to his act that I find funny, because not everyone can do something like that. I thought much more of him until it was clear he was an attention hound and as other comedians came out to say he took their act.

To me, the best stand up is Chris Rock. He isn't the funniest person....he doesn't have the funniest material as a whole, but he has the best routine. He's another guy that wins with his delivery.

Dane's older material was so much better. The main reason he gets the hype and flack is because he is a good looking comedian that bases his act on energy and goofy situations, like many younger comics do. Give it a few years and he'll either be strictly acting or on VH1's where are they now.

Certain comics, usually the ones without a lot of talent, don't translate well to TV where they can't swear as much. I was never a big Dane Cook fan at all but I did see a recent hour long Showtime or HBO special where he was at least pretty decent. Once he got going and you watched the whole thing and saw what he was doing it was even approaching almost close to nearly possibly good. It still probably wasn't worth the hour I spent, and he wasn't all that laugh out loud funny. But that was at least the first time that I really saw the attraction of his act. IMO, he's not just downright clever or sharp or witty enough, but he's a pretty good performer.

I know it's really cool to bash Dane Cook, but I find him really entertaining. His Harmful if Swallowed and Retaliation albums are both outstanding. Bits like "Somebody sh-- on the coats!", "the BK lounge", and "the nothing fight" are never going to get old for me. The thing is, his act is that he's a storyteller, not the observational stuff that people have been doing for decades. I know technically Dane Cook isn't longing to be part of a bank heist with a monkey as the getaway driver, but the first time I heard him do that bit I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe. His ideas aren't groundbreaking; it's just a lot of stuff that's easy to relate to if you're about his age. But where he excels is the words he uses to express his ideas and his voice inflection along the way. He's a great performer.

Dane Cook takes crap from other comediens because 1. he's WAY more successful than they are and 2. he's not a misearable human being like a ton of them are. It's amazing how many comediens are bitter losers just venting onstage.

I know it's really cool to bash Dane Cook, but I find him really entertaining. His Harmful if Swallowed and Retaliation albums are both outstanding. Bits like "Somebody sh-- on the coats!", "the BK lounge", and "the nothing fight" are never going to get old for me. The thing is, his act is that he's a storyteller, not the observational stuff that people have been doing for decades. I know technically Dane Cook isn't longing to be part of a bank heist with a monkey as the getaway driver, but the first time I heard him do that bit I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe. His ideas aren't groundbreaking; it's just a lot of stuff that's easy to relate to if you're about his age. But where he excels is the words he uses to express his ideas and his voice inflection along the way. He's a great performer.

Dane Cook takes crap from other comediens because 1. he's WAY more successful than they are and 2. he's not a misearable human being like a ton of them are. It's amazing how many comediens are bitter losers just venting onstage.

Those are all good classic ones, kinda like the techno mix/ !@#$ guys let's dance one. :nana:

i forget who it was recently that called himself the "Dane Cook of Comedians"

:nana:

That doesn't make any sense. Isn't Dane Cook the "Dane Cook of comedians"? He can be the "Dane Cook" of something else if he wants.

Oh yeah, that Yuk-Yuk incident really makes him "not a miserable human being", or his stealing jokes from Louis CK, Demetri Martin, and Joe Rogan.

I used to work with a Mitch Hedburg. Did the comedian Micth Hedburg have red hair ?

Oh yeah, that Yuk-Yuk incident really makes him "not a miserable human being", or his stealing jokes from Louis CK, Demetri Martin, and Joe Rogan.

Joe Rogan standup is painful to watch, besides he tries to steal everyone's thunder by accusing them off stealing jokes that are very generic that anyone could think of (ie. Mencia stealing from George Lopez talking about jumping the fence).

Yes, I know it was a runon sentence. :nana:

He steals jokes from guys who aren't nearly as funny as he is? :nana:

A lot of comediens have similar themes. That doesn't mean they're all stealing. There are only so many ideas you can have; some people are bound to come up with the same ones from time to time. Not to mention there are only so many topics to talk about. I'd love to have someone show me that Cook's best stuff is stolen from guys like Louis C.K. or Rogan. Those guys at their best aren't 10% as good as Cook at his best.

Joe Rogan is pretty sure everyone is stealing from him, mainly because he's not very successful.

And are you really trying to tell me you think Dane Cook is a misearable human being or are you trying to say he's not-not a misearable human being because you have nothing better to do?

BTW, I just checked Wikipedia's Dane Cook entry and I can't help but notice that the stuff under "Controversy" is exactly what you grabbed for this post. So did you actually know about this stuff or did you just go digging for something to B word about regarding Cook?

Louis C.K. - Those guys at their best aren't 10% as good as Cook at his best.

Uh....OK. I believe CK is also one of the best comedy writers out there. ANyone back me up on that?

Doug Stanhope has a special on Showtime right now. I highly recommend it. Also, Robert Schimmel's older stuff is great.

BTW, I just checked Wikipedia's Dane Cook entry and I can't help but notice that the stuff under "Controversy" is exactly what you grabbed for this post. So did you actually know about this stuff or did you just go digging for something to B word about regarding Cook?

I knew the stuff from a year or so ago, when I was reading a blog about Cook and the incident. Go check out the Youtube videos comparing Cook to CK, Rogan, and others.

He steals jokes from guys who aren't nearly as funny as he is? :thumbsup:

A lot of comediens have similar themes. That doesn't mean they're all stealing. There are only so many ideas you can have; some people are bound to come up with the same ones from time to time. Not to mention there are only so many topics to talk about. I'd love to have someone show me that Cook's best stuff is stolen from guys like Louis C.K. or Rogan. Those guys at their best aren't 10% as good as Cook at his best.

Lewis CK isn't 10% of Cook? :wallbash:

And are you really trying to tell me you think Dane Cook is a misearable human being or are you trying to say he's not-not a misearable human being because you have nothing better to do?

Oh boy, judging someone as whether they are "miserable" or not, and then throwing out insults for absolutely no reason. Good stuff.

I'm not saying either, just that he's not the angel you make him out to be.

Uh....OK. I believe CK is also one of the best comedy writers out there. ANyone back me up on that?

Doug Stanhope has a special on Showtime right now. I highly recommend it. Also, Robert Schimmel's older stuff is great.

I think Louis CK is hilarious. His HBO show last year was not funny, and it had too much wang in it.

Dane Cook not really that funny. I had a friend who really liked them, and was always telling me about him (although I did remember a skinnier version of him on CC several years ago that I was indifferent about. He had a black tank top, and was poking fun at his Catholic upbringing I think). Anyway, I watched his Vicious Cycle when it came out on HBO because of my friend's build up, and didn't find it all that impressive.

Dane Cook tries too hard to make his unfunny material funny. His jokes are bad and then he gets so worked up and animated telling them, that they move from bad to annoying.

I usually laugh at most anything, but when someone is trying waaayyy too hard to get me to laugh, it's just not funny at all.