Al Wilson's full page ad

Even though I've been out here 8 years now, I'm still neutral, at best, with regard to the Broncos. Although not the first athlete to take out a full-page ad to his fans, I was impressed with this in yesterday's Rocky Mountain News, superimposed over an action shot of him:

Dear Broncos Fans,

As of today, I am no longer a Denver Bronco. I leave the team with no regrets, never saying "What If?," and grateful to have played for such loyal fans who have loved and supported not just me, but my family as well. The last eight years of my and my family's life have been special because of you. You have opened your arms and your hearts to us and we will never forget it.

Your support, enthusiasm, love and dedication are gifts I will carry with me my entire life. The fans and people of Denver have treated me better than I could ever have hoped for and I will be forever in your debt for your unwavering support, appreciation and respect over my tenure with the Broncos.

I may leave the Broncos, but will never forget the people who made it all worthwhile - my fans. Thank you for supporting me over the last eight years, and I hope you will cheeer me on as I continue to play the game I love so much. I plan on making Denver a significant part of my future plans and will endeavor for the rest of my days to find a way to thank each and every one of you for all that you have done for me and my family.

You cheered for me for eight years and now I cheer for you for the rest of my life. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

Your friend always,

Al Wilson, No. 56

Love it, pure class. Didn'tTalley do the same thing when he left Buffalo?

Yes Talley did a similar thing before moving to the Falcons. I also think Drew Bledsoe did it before moving to Buffalo.

Well-written. Heartfelt. Sincere. Professional. Classy.

I say we get him in here as soon as possible because he could immediately fill a need on this team with veteran leadership. That's right. Can you imagine a BB.com blog rotation of Chris Brown/Al Wilson.

Git 'er done, Marv.

I have Kelly's full page add from the BN thanking the fans in Buffalo when he retired hanging in my bonus room

Someone tell me why, if we just jettisoned two aging LBs, one with serious injury questions, would we want to sign an aging LB past his prime also with injury questions, a player who had to be released because an attempted trade of him to the NY football Giants was nixed because he couldn't pass a physical? And you expect him to be able to run and cover field like we need our Cover-2 MLB to do?

Definitly bring this guy in, don't even interview him, just hand him a contract with the total left out so he can fill it in himself.

I mean, he took a full page add out in a newspaper thanking the fans for his time in Denver, this is a guy that will lead us to a SB! Who cares that he is old and had a serious neck injury, He thanked the fans instead of pulling a McGahee. Didn't everones favorite Bills QB, Bledsoe do this too when he left NE? Maybe we can get him out of retirement so he could come back and then both of them could buy an entire edition of the BN to thank Buffalo fans!

*sarcasim off*

It was a great gesture thanking the fans, not something that is done too often, and I'm sure he's a great guy, but I doubt the Bills have any interest in him

Someone tell me why, if we just jettisoned two aging LBs, one with serious injury questions, would we want to sign an aging LB past his prime also with injury questions, a player who had to be released because an attempted trade of him to the NY football Giants was nixed because he couldn't pass a physical? And you expect him to be able to run and cover field like we need our Cover-2 MLB to do?

Hence the 'look-see".

Teams have different criterion for physicals, and players can fail a physical one week and three weeks later pass that same physical. The Bills already have a young team and adding some veteran solid leadership is something they need more than more young players. Wilson is only 29 I believe and you cannot look more than two years down the road at any position with any player at any age in this league. Plus, for all the young guys to succeed and to grow as they should, there needs to be solid play around them for that to happen. Wilson is a really good player. I say hell yes bring him in and see if he can pass the physical. If he does, he can probably play. If he doesn't, it doesn't cost a cent.

Teams have different criterion for physicals, and players can fail a physical one week and three weeks later pass that same physical. The Bills already have a young team and adding some veteran solid leadership is something they need more than more young players. Wilson is only 29 I believe and you cannot look more than two years down the road at any position with any player at any age in this league. Plus, for all the young guys to succeed and to grow as they should, there needs to be solid play around them for that to happen. Wilson is a really good player. I say hell yes bring him in and see if he can pass the physical. If he does, he can probably play. If he doesn't, it doesn't cost a cent.

Yes, but can he play MLB in the Cover-2?

That's the basic question.

Different systems require different types of players. Just because he was effective in Denver's scheme does not mean he would be in ours.

Yes, but can he play MLB in the Cover-2?

That's the basic question.

Different systems require different types of players. Just because he was effective in Denver's scheme does not mean he would be in ours.

He attacks. He reads fast. He runs pretty fast. And can cover, it seems to me. That's what we're looking for.

I have Kelly's full page add from the BN thanking the fans in Buffalo when he retired hanging in my bonus room

I'm sorry, this just isn't true. If you read bills44's posts in this thread, you would know that all players from the University of Miami are thugs and would NEVER do such a thing.

We should all thank bills44 for this enlightenment, and realize that it is always best to paint with a wide brush. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out to the local campus to round up some Asian students who no doubt plan on shooting the place up today.

I'm sorry, this just isn't true. If you read bills44's posts in this thread, you would know that all players from the University of Miami are thugs and would NEVER do such a thing.

We should all thank bills44 for this enlightenment, and realize that it is always best to paint with a wide brush. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm out to the local campus to round up some Asian students who no doubt plan on shooting the place up today.

I don't think that most people associate Kelly with the post-mid 80s thug image of The U.

Thank you for the enlightenment, smokinandjokin. I never knew that the actions of a subset don't necessarily mirror the actions of the whole! ^_^

We'll just have to agree to disagree then ^_^

I'm definitely with ya on this one...UThug has more problems off the field than the Bengals and Vikings would if they shared a yacht and joined a rifle club with Tank Williams.

I am, actually. The program is not comprised of choir boys, but they're a huge step above The U.

I'd say they're a small step below the U - they've been pumping out miscreants and thugs (talented ones, though) for a couple of decades going. There's a reason they went from also-ran to dominance: Charlie Garner and his many, many successors were essentally given free passes. Recent standup citizens include Albert Haynesworth, Donte Stallworth, and John "say that again, b*tch, and I'll punch you in the gut" Henderson. Moreover, I can't think of any university in recent times where the faculty who had to deal with these "student athletes" were mistreated as much.

I'd say there a small step below the U - they've been pumping out miscreants and thugs (talented ones, though) for a couple of decades going. There's a reason they went from also-ran to dominance: Charlie Garner and his many, many successors were essentally given free passes. Moreover, I can't think of any university in recent times where the faculty who had to deal with these "student athletes" were mistreated as much.

Sounds like you have personal knowledge (and a personal stake) in this, so I won't question your opinion.

Would it be safe to say, Miami holds the lead in organized self-involvement and self-entitlement among the football players who have gone pro? I don't recall pro thugs talking about "The T" as if it were a fraternity where total a total lack of discipline was not only tolerated but EXPECTED.

Sounds like you have personal knowledge (and a personal stake) in this, so I won't question your opinion.

Would it be safe to say, Miami holds the lead in organized self-involvement and self-entitlement among the football players who have gone pro? I don't recall pro thugs talking about "The T" as if it were a fraternity where total a total lack of discipline was not only tolerated but EXPECTED.

No doubt, but I'm not sure that the U players' post-draft "esprit d'corps" about their alma mater is such a knock. Re the issue in general, all of these places that go from so-so to great program (as Miami did in the early 80s) are pretty much the same, give or take an arrest or two: they start taking talented guys with very questionable backgrounds and essentially roll the dice. West Virginia is probably the latest example, but the phenomenon is pretty typical across the country (Washington State a decade or so ago, San Diego State, Colorado, etc.).

No doubt, but I'm not sure that the U players' post-draft "esprit d'corps" about their alma mater is such a knock. Re the issue in general, all of these places that go from so-so to great program (as Miami did in the early 80s) are pretty much the same, give or take an arrest or two: they start taking talented guys with very questionable backgrounds and essentially roll the dice. West Virginia is probably the latest example, but the phenomenon is pretty typical across the country (Washington State a decade or so ago, San Diego State, Colorado, etc.).

Spot on!

I guess the perception of "The U" is because Miami has been doing this (at a very high level...or low level) for many many years. They have history and marketing on their side.

As for West Virginia, well...Bob Huggins! -nuff said