peter king today

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...raft/index.html

1. If what he's reporting is accurate -- that there is a rough consensus that there are only 18 players with first round grades -- then trading back into the late first would be a decidedly bad move. The Bills need a blue chip player, not a couple of decent players for a team that has too many decent/pretty good players.

2. There is no way, no how, that Adrian Peterson lasts beyond the seventh pick. In any event, Minnesota is stuck with the very pedestrian Chester Taylor, and they'd be fools to pass up on a talent like Peterson. So, Bills fans, banish the thought of drafting Peterson from your minds -- it's good for your mental health.

1. If what he's reporting is accurate -- that there is a rough consensus that there are only 18 players with first round grades -- then trading back into the late first would be a decidedly bad move. The Bills need a blue chip player, not a couple of decent players for a team that has too many decent/pretty good players.

2. There is no way, no how, that Adrian Peterson lasts beyond the seventh pick. In any event, Minnesota is stuck with the very pedestrian Chester Taylor, and they'd be fools to pass up on a talent like Peterson. So, Bills fans, banish the thought of drafting Peterson from your minds -- it's good for your mental health.

you are correct.

The Bills need to get impact playmakers from the draft - there will be plenty of back up playesrs and camp fodder in the later rounds in a relatively weak overall draft.

Again, if true, then I could not agree with you more. Nice info and good post, DM.

If this is correct, I think we should absolutely trade up and grab Peterson. Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Landry, and Joe Thomas are the 4 premier players in this draft. Big dropoffs after those 4 IMO

I think his assessment of this draft is correct. At most positions, there are one or two really good players, but then a significant dropoff to the 2nd tier. There's a reason the 2006 draft was SO good, and its because a record number of juniors declared a year ago and most were good-to-very-good prospects. That weakened this senior class, and the junior crop that is supplementing this group is pretty average. This is a below average draft.

I definitely would not trade down this year. In fact, I think it makes far more sense for the Bills to repeat their 2006 draft strategy and trade back up from 43 into the latter half of R1 if possible.

As for the Vikings, I don't see why they'd be desperate. Chester Taylor isn't ideal, but he's good enough that they could easily pass on Peterson and still have a very effective rushing attack. He rushed for 1,216 yards and 6 TDs, averaged 4.0 yards per carry, and caught 42 passes for 288 yards. They need a short yardage Rb such as Tony Hunt or Dewayne Wright more than a true #1. They would seem to need a WR far worse, as their leading WR, Travis Taylor, caught only 57 passes for 651 yards. They might even be a realistic trade candidate for the Bills, as a trade back to 12 would put them into the beginning of the range where Meachem is likely to be selected. None of this is to say that they definitely won't draft Peterson, but its far from a certainty that they will.

Chester Taylor had a pretty good year for the Vikes last year rushing for 1216 yards with 4.0 average and 6 TDs with another 288 receiving in 15 starts...Id hardly call that pedestrian

Minnesota has a lot of holes to fill as well including CB which is why I think they take Leon Hall

Re Taylor, I watched him, and he proved the old rule -- hand it off to a guy enough and no matter what his talents, he'll get you 1000+ yards. Bear in mind that he was playing behind one of the more talented offensive lines in the league. If Shaun Alexander from a year or two ago played behind that line, he would have had 1600 yards. The bottom line: Taylor is a pedestrian player blessed with a good situation for a running back in Minnesota (good line, bad passing game). He also didn't get hurt last year.

Re Taylor, I watched him, and he proved the old rule -- hand it off to a guy enough and no matter what his talents, he'll get you 1000+ yards. Bear in mind that he was playing behind one of the more talented offensive lines in the league. If Shaun Alexander from a year or two ago played behind that line, he would have had 1600 yards. The bottom line: Taylor is a pedestrian player blessed with a good situation for a running back in Minnesota (good line, bad passing game). He also didn't get hurt last year.

I can't really disagree with you. He's decent, but not great or perhaps even good.

That said, it provides an interesting contrast to the prevailing attitude among Bills fans regarding the RB position. Taylor would seem to be a perfectly acceptable 'average' RB according to what I've read here.

Note that I'm not saying that you adhere to that belief, but that its prevalent among the fanbase. Myself, I don't think its true. I believe that if you're putting the ball in one player's hands 300+ times per year, he needs to be pretty damn good.

The good news is, assuming King to be right, that there will be a minimum of five first string top choice players available for us. Vouple that with our biggest needs being at three or four positions (LB.RB.CB and possibly DT) we are in pretty good shape to get an impact player who can help us right away. In reality there might be "stretch" or two in the top ten to the point where a top ten player might slip down to us (Peterson, Willis or Okoye).

I love that Chester Taylor is somehow "pedestrian" while McGahee is considered a major loss to the Bills. Taylor had a better year last year than McGahee ever has. Taylor is better at blitz pickup and a much better receiving threat than McGahee in addition to being just as good , if not better, at running the football. Perhaps the Vikes elect to draft Peterson because he's a major talent but it would be a mistake for a team that has so many other holes.

LOL... your post may have had some credibility if you would have used a different running back as your example. Shaun Alexander played behind one of the best left sides of an OL this league has ever seen. I think Alexander is a good RB, but far from great. Taylor may not be as good as Alexander, but he's not that far behind.

Who wants AP? OR is crazy enough to hope for him.

I say if we get P. Willis, we've won the draft.

I hope we win.

I think Detroit and Cleveland are the key to this whole draft. If Detroit stays put and picks up Brady Quinn at #2, then Cleveland will be hard pressed not to pick up Quinn....This has a very

good chance of Peterson falling outside the top 10. If Detroit switches place with Miami, then I see them going after Willis at that point as they run the same Tampa Cover 2 that we run and they also need a attacking line backer. Also, if this does happen, then Peterson will not get past Cleveland.

LOL... your post may have had some credibility if you would have used a different running back as your example. Shaun Alexander played behind one of the best left sides of an OL this league has ever seen. I think Alexander is a good RB, but far from great. Taylor may not be as good as Alexander, but he's not that far behind.

??

Hutchison played for MN last year, and was as physically capable as ever. Moreover, McKinnie, while not as good as Jones, is as talented and actually a very strong player (although uneven on occasion, which is why he gets knocks). Birk is a better center than anyone the Seahawks have had in recent times. Re Taylor being close to Alexander, you've got to be kidding. Alexander in his prime hit the hole quicker, had *far* better vision, and possessed a second-tier burst as good as any RB in recent times.

I love that Chester Taylor is somehow "pedestrian" while McGahee is considered a major loss to the Bills. Taylor had a better year last year than McGahee ever has. Taylor is better at blitz pickup and a much better receiving threat than McGahee in addition to being just as good , if not better, at running the football. Perhaps the Vikes elect to draft Peterson because he's a major talent but it would be a mistake for a team that has so many other holes.

I never said that McGahee was a major loss. That said, he's more talented than Taylor, and if you put him behind Minnesota's line, he's good for 200+ more yards. As much as I criticized McGahee, I have no real rejoinder (nor does anyone else) to the fact that the Bills' offensive line has, well, absolutely sucked the past few years.

I never said that McGahee was a major loss. That said, he's more talented than Taylor, and if you put him behind Minnesota's line, he's good for 200+ more yards. As much as I criticized McGahee, I have no real rejoinder (nor does anyone else) to the fact that the Bills' offensive line has, well, absolutely sucked the past few years.

I wasn't talking about what you have said, I'm talking about what King has said.

This topic is a tough call because the Vikes have Needs elsewhere on Offense...mainly a Play-making WR, RG, or RT...They also have a Need at the CB Position opposite AW (the reports I read are VERY mixed on 2nd year CB Cedric Griffin), and at DE...But clearly a Top WR is a HUGE Need...

I'm not saying they will not consider Peterson strongly, but He does play a Position that the Vikes are fairly solid at, and with so many other Needs I certainly do not believe Peterson to the Vikes is a lock by any means...If He's even available by #7...

My guess would be that Minnesota will listen to offers for that #7 spot if Peterson is still on the Board and look to Trade Down into an area where they can land Meachem or Ginn... :lol:

This topic is a tough call because the Vikes have Needs elsewhere on Offense...mainly a Play-making WR, RG, or RT...They also have a Need at the CB Position opposite AW (the reports I read are VERY mixed on 2nd year CB Cedric Griffin), and at DE...But clearly a Top WR is a HUGE Need...

I'm not saying they will not consider Peterson strongly, but He does play a Position that the Vikes are fairly solid at, and with so many other Needs I certainly do not believe Peterson to the Vikes is a lock by any means...If He's even available by #7...

My guess would be that Minnesota will listen to offers for that #7 spot if Peterson is still on the Board and look to Trade Down into an area where they can land Meachem or Ginn... :lol:

Good post. I think it comes down to philosophy -- do you pass on an elite player for a non-elite player because of need? Personally, I wouldn't, but I'm not the GM of the Vikings.