Why Willis was traded......take this to the bank

thebug

Tonight I was listening to Prime Time Sports in Canada (Toronto) they had Marv on for a live interview......they asked the usual questions.....was Willis traded because of statements made in Playboy Blah Blah Blah.....was it attitude, character etc etc...Marv gave the standard answers we have been hearing all day....but.....the comment that caught my ear (and the interviewers) was that in talks with Willis and his agent they were made aware(or reminded) that Willis, without a contract extention could sit out 10 games next year and still be a FA at the end of the season....Marv said they had to take that into account when considering trading Willis......It sounded to me that they didn't have a choice.....and getting 3 picks is better than none.....if anyone else saw the program they can confirm this....sorry no link this is a TV/Radio program in Canada.....

Tonight I was listening to Prime Time Sports in Canada (Toronto) they had Marv on for a live interview......they asked the usual questions.....was Willis traded because of statements made in Playboy Blah Blah Blah.....was it attitude, character etc etc...Marv gave the standard answers we have been hearing all day....but.....the comment that caught my ear (and the interviewers) was that in talks with Willis and his agent they were made aware(or reminded) that Willis, without a contract extention could sit out 10 games next year and still be a FA at the end of the season....Marv said they had to take that into account when considering trading Willis......It sounded to me that they didn't have a choice.....and getting 3 picks is better than none.....if anyone else saw the program they can confirm this....sorry no link this is a TV/Radio program in Canada.....

What network is that on? TSN? Rogers Sports Net?

Exactly, after all the BS surrounding WM, and his average (at best) production and desire on the field, would you extend this dolt for 5+ years (as he was apparantly demanding??). He'd be a distraction, sit out, and then head out of town, OR we commit 5 years and 40+ million on him? See you later, and with a great return!

I mentioned that this was a possibility in a previous post and was crucified. How could WM hold with no leverage? He wouldn't be that stupid in contract year? and yada yada yada. But that is the truth, HE WOULD HAVE HELD OUT!!!! The Bills options were either sign or trade him. Even though I did like WM, I billieve they made the right decision.

A guy who sits out ten games after being pretty much rejected for trades this year would not be making much money. I think when push comes to shove Marv just figured the guy wasn't all THAT good, and didn't want to renegotiate and be stuck with a headache that might not even perform well. He will have a revamped O-line this year and he might as well go with a guy who will move the chains for him. Leonard of Rutgers might fill this need and will be available at two or even perhaps at three. Guys like Irons, Pittman are going to be around as well.

Bottom line is Willis just doesn't appear to be all that good a bet. Maybe Marv is wrong and the Ravens will be laughing at us next year...but as of this moment I think Marv is coming out better in the deal.

A guy who sits out ten games after being pretty much rejected for trades this year would not be making much money.

Are you kidding me? Today's salaries are ridiculous and just keep getting bigger. Even if WM held out 10 games or whatever, he still would have raked in the big bucks! All he would have to say is that without an extension, he would not take the financial risk off playing an entire season. It just blows my mind that some people actually think like this. Have you not followed the NFL? You don't think Dan Snyder would sign a guy just because he held out? C'mon people get real here!!!

The contract that WM signed with the Ravens was very reasonable for an NFL RB. He clearly was not demanding something that was out of line -- as demonstrated by what the Ravens did.

When it all said and done I am glad he is gone because he isn't a hard runner.....simple as that.....

I truly feel that has the Oline been better in the running game we would have like our backup much better for multiple reasons......

I really dont feel this hurts our team.....but lets get a young RB in this draft to groom regardless of what we do in FA

Also there an interview with Steve Fairchild on BB.com where he is saying that he wanted a RB that is more of a receiving threat. Wllis wasn't cutting it in that dept. for Fairchild. Another reason for the trade. Look for Marv to draft a RB with good hands that can hit the hole hard. Mmm, maybe I should rephrase that ?

That tells me that Mcgahee forced the hand of the bills in getting a trade done. I think he really did not like playing in a smaller city.