Speed of Light broken?

/dev/null

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. I don't know. You've now exceeded my knowledge and understanding of multi-dimensional topology.

Yes, I know some of you are shocked to find out, but there are identifiable limits to my knowledge. I'm not omniscient...I just seem like it when compared to idiots like DeLuca or Holcomb's Arm...

I guess it really doesn’t matter because it would probably take the energy equivalent to many suns and one hell of a tailor to make it happen.

And what's it called when the paper that represents space-time is folded into a paper football and "flicked" through a wormhole?

The year the Bills AND the Sabres Both win championships!

If that happens, space and time as we know it will cease to exist! :lol:

However...there's actually nothing in physics that directly forbids time travel (meaning travel backwards through time. We're always travelling through time, forwards). No one can figure out how to do it (at least, not practically. If you take rotate a giant cylinder 100 times more massive than the sun and slingshot yourself around it, you cn do it)...but no one can find a reason it shouldn't be possible. So at least theoretically you can send an object with mass from point A to point B, then move it back in time to such a point in time that it basically moves faster than the speed of light (e.g. you take off in a rocket ship from here to Alpha Centauri. At half the speed of light, it takes you 9 years to get there. When you get there, you use your patented Dr. Who Telephone Booth to go back six years...and you've made a trip in three years that would take light four and a half. Volia, you've moved faster than light).

So THIS is how Han Solo made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

I guess it really doesn’t matter because it would probably take the energy equivalent to many suns and one hell of a tailor to make it happen.

well, not if you can quantum-link yourself to someone at point B. Then you could effectively teleport yourself to point B instantaneously.

Don't you remember the Universal Translator that's implanted in everyone?

In Enterprise, it was still too small to implant. that's why they needed Hoshi.

I didn't know that everyone post Enterprise had translators implanted in them. That still doesn't explain why every alien doesn't look like a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie (lips not synchonized w/ noise). FWIW, I recall an episode when Archer was talking w/ an alien & the translator malfunctioned & she sounded like gibberish.

I didn't know that everyone post Enterprise had translators implanted in them. That still doesn't explain why every alien doesn't look like a Hong Kong Kung Fu movie (lips not synchonized w/ noise). FWIW, I recall an episode when Archer was talking w/ an alien & the translator malfunctioned & she sounded like gibberish.

There's a simpler explanation: do you have any idea how hard it is to hire an actor that speaks Romulan or Cardassian?

It's like my brother's complaint about how all aliens in science fiction movies are your standard humanoid "two legs, two arms, bilateral symmetry" form. Well, there's not that many nine-legged hive-minded giant Rigellian crustaceans hanging around Hollywood looking for parts...

So THIS is how Han Solo made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

That line always bothers me. A parsec is a unit of length, but Solo seems to be using it as a unit of time (unless the phrase 'Kessel Run' involves bending space-time).

It's like my brother's complaint about how all aliens in science fiction movies are your standard humanoid "two legs, two arms, bilateral symmetry" form. Well, there's not that many nine-legged hive-minded giant Rigellian crustaceans hanging around Hollywood looking for parts...

I had wondered/obsevred this, too but it was somewhat explained in an episode of TNG. IIRC, there was some sort of relic people were after & after it was "activated" it indicates that at least the species present (Vulcan, Human, Romulan & I think one other) were created by some very advanced entity eons ago.

I had wondered/obsevred this, too but it was somewhat explained in an episode of TNG. IIRC, there was some sort of relic people were after & after it was "activated" it indicates that at least the species present (Vulcan, Human, Romulan & I think one other) were created by some very advanced entity eons ago.

Actually, that theory was advanced in the original series. I believe it was episode #59, "The Paradise Syndrome".

I'm happy to say, I had to look up the episode number and title. Once upon a time, I would have know it off the top of my head. :lol:

That line always bothers me. A parsec is a unit of length, but Solo seems to be using it as a unit of time (unless the phrase 'Kessel Run' involves bending space-time).

The old Battlestar Galactica used to do that too, using 'micron' as a unit of time.

The old Battlestar Galactica used to do that too, using 'micron' as a unit of time.

It's a valid measure, since time and distance can be related by a gauge-invariant transformation.

Which is just a fancy way of saying that any unit of distance can be used as a unit of time if paired with an established velocity. For example, if you use the speed of light, a parsec would be 3.26 years, and a micron would be...1/299,792,458,000,000 seconds - one third of a hundred-quadrillionth of a second, or three thousandths of a picosecond, which is so short a time as to be nearly unmeasurable (nuclear reactions are measured on a scale about a million times as long; quark decay happens on a scale about a thousand times as long.)

[star wars nerd]

The line in the movie is correct, and you are also correct. Solo made a run through the "Maw" or black hole cluster near kessel to escape the imperials. He traveled through it at barely sublight speeds. So given the fact that being that close to all those black holes, space is warped. Combine that with the fact he was traveling at nearly light speed, they actually say that, yes he did shorten the distance traveled to less than 12 parsecs. Solo also mentions physically looking at his "odometer" for lack of a better term, showed a distance traveled of less than 12 parsecs.

[/star wars nerd]

A more realistic explanation is that the kessel run is from point A to point B with the maw in between. The typical route through the black holes was 18 parsecs, but not in a straight line. It is a curved path. Solo making it in less than 12 parsecs basically means that he had balls of steel and took a shorter path throgh the black holes, one that took him dangerously closer to them.

Kind of like traversing a path from opposite sides of the earths orbit. Ther person who travels the closest to the sun will end up with the "shortest" run.

[star wars nerd]

The line in the movie is correct, and you are also correct. Solo made a run through the "Maw" or black hole cluster near kessel to escape the imperials. He traveled through it at barely sublight speeds. So given the fact that being that close to all those black holes, space is warped. Combine that with the fact he was traveling at nearly light speed, they actually say that, yes he did shorten the distance traveled to less than 12 parsecs. Solo also mentions physically looking at his "odometer" for lack of a better term, showed a distance traveled of less than 12 parsecs.

[/star wars nerd]

A more realistic explanation is that the kessel run is from point A to point B with the maw in between. The typical route through the black holes was 18 parsecs, but not in a straight line. It is a curved path. Solo making it in less than 12 parsecs basically means that he had balls of steel and took a shorter path throgh the black holes, one that took him dangerously closer to them.

Kind of like traversing a path from opposite sides of the earths orbit. Ther person who travels the closest to the sun will end up with the "shortest" run.

My God. You're worse than me. :lol:

Actually, that theory was advanced in the original series. I believe it was episode #59, "The Paradise Syndrome".

I'm happy to say, I had to look up the episode number and title. Once upon a time, I would have know it off the top of my head. :lol:

Here's the ST:TNG episode that eSJayDee was referring to....

The Chase

[star wars nerd]

[/star wars nerd]

Except Solo was vouching for the speed of the Millenium Falcon, not his skill as a pilot. There! I run rings around you logically! And it's just about time for the penguin atop your telly to explode!

Seriously, physcially moving through space is so last millenium. I think scientists will discover that there are shortcuts through the other dimensions OR you can travel virtually by way of the quantum effect known as "entanglement."

PTR

Through black holes? Wouldn't Han, Chewie and the Falcon be stretched to spaghetti as they crossed the event horizon (from our perspective)?

Nature abhors a singularity.

How long until training camp?

Seriously, physcially moving through space is so last millenium. I think scientists will discover that there are shortcuts through the other dimensions OR you can travel virtually by way of the quantum effect known as "entanglement."

PTR

Agreed. Now, if i can find a way to quantumly entangle with Tony Romo, and then teleport when he's shagging Carrie Underwood, i'm all set.