bills sign Jason Whittle

At worst, his versatility will provide Minnesota a top backup, one who can play three positions and can also serve as an emergency deep snapper. The 6-feet-4, 305-pound Whittle is known as an excellent technician but also as a physical in-line run-blocker."

Sounds like a Pats-type signing to me. A smart, versitile depth guy with not a lot of wear & tear on his body. Any team can use that kind of "glue" player. Goodbye Tutan.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the hell is Mike Rockwood?

I like the signing because he is a veteran player who who had experience with other teams......his forte is a physical run blocker which we need....I also like him because he appears to be versitile....should Fowler go down we are going to need somebody who can play the center position...

Good enough for you?

As the first player to roll in under Free Agency, I suppose this is a little like finding a set of floor mats under your Christmas Tree. OK, that's nice and all, but kinda was thinking of something with a bit more sizzle....

BTW, ever SEE Mike Rockwood up close. Freaky. You wonder what the coach in High School said when he laid eyes on him...

Since everyone is panicking, can someone answer this simple question...

WHATS WRONG WITH SIGNING A VETERAN OL WHO CAN PLAY EVERY SINGLE POSITION ALONG THE O-LINE?

Christ, some of you need to take some ritalin and calm down. Its not like we announced he was the only OL we are bringing in and he's starting or anything.

WHATS WRONG WITH SIGNING A VETERAN OL WHO CAN PLAY EVERY SINGLE POSITION ALONG THE O-LINE?

He's not Jason Witten? :(

LOL. You want an indepth scouting report of an average offensive lineman from another conference? How many of those can you provide me, dumbass? I have some familiarity with him so I'm sharing what I know. Suck my dick if that's not good enough for you.

Note that I would much rather he serve as depth than be a starter. But he is what he is, which is BETTER than Reyes and Anderson.

If you haven't seen him play much and haven't concentrated on him when you have seen him play then how do you know he's BETTER? You're just making an assumption because Reyes and Anderson suck. As muich as those guys sucked, they both had more starts under their belts when they were signed.

Christ, some of you need to take some ritalin and calm down. Its not like we announced he was the only OL we are bringing in and he's starting or anything.

I'll take a wild guess: Because this is the same thing the Bills do every single year to "fix" the OL and it never works. If he's simply depth it's a great signing, but given the fact that the Bills have no viable guards on the roster atm, I'm guessing he's expected to compete for a starting spot. I have no clue how good or bad he is but being an 8 year vet who only has a few starts under his belt in the last few years doesn't bode well.

As the first player to roll in under Free Agency, I suppose this is a little like finding a set of floor mats under your Christmas Tree. OK, that's nice and all, but kinda was thinking of something with a bit more sizzle....

BTW, ever SEE Mike Rockwood up close. Freaky. You wonder what the coach in High School said when he laid eyes on him...

Very good analogy! No one wants floor mats for Christmas- but you take them, and you use them, and they didn't cost too much, and for the giver they didn't require THAT much thought aside from, "Oh, my husband's floor mats are dirty, I should get him some new ones to get him through the dirty season so his shoes don't get stained."

But in the end, the new floor mats spruce up the interior, and while they won't garner a promotion or even respect around the neighborhood, may be someday someone riding shot gun will say, "Wow, those are really nice floor mats." To which you might respond, "Thanks I got them real cheap and will probably replace them this summer when I can drive with the windows open."

Whoosh, for a second I read that the Bills signed Jason Witten. Good thing we didn't :(

haha im sure some of us would prefer a player like that.. i think the jury is still out about this whittle character. who knows... maybe we should ask a vikings fan my buddy is a giants fan(a fair weather fan all be it) and he has no clue who he is.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hop aboard the coaster and ride....

Amazing, and its only the first signing hours into FA. This is going to be a looooooong off-season of bitchin and moaning!

Whittle Stats

http://realfootball365.stats.com/fb/player...637&team=16

Has some problem with false starts--doesn't give up a lot of sacks--the 2004 year starting for the Giants (who had a horrible o-line that year) seems to be an anomaly..would be interested in seeing his playing time in the years in which he did not start a lot of games...

Seems like Solid Depth at a Nice Price...thank you for shopping at Wal Mart...on to the bargain aisle at Macy's please

Phuckin A.

The Chicken Little Crackhead Brigade is hella predictable, LOL

If you haven't seen him play much and haven't concentrated on him when you have seen him play then how do you know he's BETTER? You're just making an assumption because Reyes and Anderson suck. As muich as those guys sucked, they both had more starts under their belts when they were signed.

Ozymandius is incapable of supporting his original statement.

Instead of admitting his lack of knowledge, he attempts valiantly to turn the exchange into a flame war.

Has this ever happened on a message board before? :(

Sounds like a Pats-type signing to me. A smart, versitile depth guy with not a lot of wear & tear on his body. Any team can use that kind of "glue" player. Goodbye Tutan.

I hope you're wrong. The article clearly indicated he signed with the Bills.

The Bills didn't sign an 8 year vet with a few starts to a one year deal for 720K to be the starter. What he does do is allow them to be a lot more flexible with who they target in free agency and the draft, as well as who they keep on the roster for the OL come opening day. Knowing he can play all five positions in a pinch, for a half or a game or two, allows you to open up a roster spot for another position, or carry an extra guard, or other flexibility.