bills sign Jason Whittle

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to take your word for it?

Since you gave such an in depth scouting report of his strength and weaknesses- I can see clearly that you have expertise in this area.

NOT!!

LOL. You want an indepth scouting report of an average offensive lineman from another conference? How many of those can you provide me? I have some familiarity with him so I'm sharing what I know.

Note that I would much rather he serve as depth than be a starter. But he is what he is, which is BETTER than Reyes and Anderson.

What do you like about it?

Weren't you the same guy who sang the praises of Mike Rockwood more than once?

Who the hell is Mike Rockwood?

I like the signing because he is a veteran player who who had experience with other teams......his forte is a physical run blocker which we need....I also like him because he appears to be versitile....should Fowler go down we are going to need somebody who can play the center position...

Good enough for you?

article on Whittle from last year when he joined Minn..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2353789

Your link is very interesting. It indicates several things:

1) It was dated March 4th, so he was signed pretty early in the last free agent period as well.

2) After the Giants lost him, they actually traded to get him back.

3) Last year, he didn't start, and was only paid $25,000 more than the NFL minimum.

He MIGHT turn out good, but right now, I am guessing that he is the 07 model of a blocker from the scrap heap of another not so good team. Even at that, if he is healthy, he cannot be worse than an 06 Villarial.

Hopefully, he will not start, and his signing will not prevent Marv (if he ever had intentions of doing so) from drafting an early round Guard.

From ESPN.com:

Whittle understand the mantra that the more you can do the longer you will be around. Whittle has learned to continue his career as a professional football player and plays multiple positions as well as contribute in a variety of ways on special teams. Whittle is able to play all five positions on the offensive line and is an intelligent player that uses angles to his advantage against defenders. He works hard to use great technique using hand placement and leverage to wall off opponents, but he lacks the power to move defenders and expand the hole. This lack of lower-leg strength is also evident when Whittle faces two-gap defensive linemen that are able to stalemate him at the point of attack and shed him to make plays. Whittle does a nice job in space engulfing linebackers at the second level when pulling. When asked to start at guard this season for Minnesota the Vikings actually fared better up front with Whittle in the game. In pass protection, Whittle does a very good job working his hips and feet together with average punch but good hand placement re-directing the pass rusher. Along with decent size Whittle brings versatility, football smarts and deceptive athleticism for an offensive lineman that will allow this veteran to continue to make a roster, get on the field and contribute

Yeah, all that technical crap and they leave out his 40 time. What's his friggin' 40 time?

From the other linky thingy "By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

The Minnesota Vikings, who are expected to rebuild the interior of their offensive line for 2006, have signed free agent Jason Whittle, an eight-year veteran who has started in the past at both guard spots and also at center.

Released last Saturday by the New York Giants, after a second stint with the team, Whittle signed a one-year contract for $695,000, ESPN.com has confirmed. The deal includes a $25,000 signing bonus and a minimum base salary of $670,000.

Whittle, 30, could vie for a starting job on a unit that might undergo a overhaul in 2006. At worst, his versatility will provide Minnesota a top backup, one who can play three positions and can also serve as an emergency deep snapper. The 6-feet-4, 305-pound Whittle is known as an excellent technician but also as a physical in-line run-blocker."

Sounds like Marv's screwed the pooch, obviously. #65

Whittle headed for Buffalo

Sounds like Marv's screwed the pooch, obviously. #65

What is this supposed to mean?

“We tried to come to an agreement with the Vikings, however, they were steadfast in their opinion of Jason,” Linta said, adding, “I completely respect Rob Brzezinski and Rick Spielman’s evaluation of offensive linemen.”

Your link is very interesting. It indicates several things:

1) It was dated March 4th, so he was signed pretty early in the last free agent period as well.

2) After the Giants lost him, they actually traded to get him back.

3) Last year, he didn't start, and was only paid $25,000 more than the NFL minimum.

He MIGHT turn out good, but right now, I am guessing that he is the 07 model of a blocker from the scrap heap of another not so good team. Even at that, if he is healthy, he cannot be worse than an 06 Villarial.

Hopefully, he will not start, and his signing will not prevent Marv (if he ever had intentions of doing so) from drafting an early round Guard.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Whittle is our hedge if we don't draft Blaylock/Grubbs in RD2/3 of the draft.

I believe it is McNally's strategy that you lower your margin for error by employing intelligent, versatile linmen who can play multiple positions and use solid technique. How that strategy led to them signing Anderson and Reyes I will never understand, but Gandy was a good pickup because he was able to play both tackle and guard. I would not be surprised if McNally is in love with someone like Blaylock who also can play multiple OL positions.

I like the Whittle signing....but I hope we can do better

I agree if we brought Whittle in for what he is, which appears to be a quality back up/veteran prescense then he was a good signing. We can definately can do better and hope we bring in another veteran and day 1 draft pick. However if we plan on using Whittle as a full time starter to replace Chris V or Mike Gandy then all we've done is made a change for change sake and haven't done anything to improve the team.

Who the hell is Mike Rockwood?

I like the signing because he is a veteran player who who had experience with other teams.....

Good enough for you?

Let me get this straight:

You like him because he is a veteran player who had experience with other teams

Wow!!! I wonder how the Bills were able to pull this off? There is not many of those types of players around!

Perhaps this is a case of them picking people higher on his wish list.

Example:

In the TD regime, they may have looked at McNally's top 10 FA/Draftees and went for say 7 or 8 (say Bennie A)

Now: TM/ML are looking at 5 or 6, which results in a younger guy who may have upside (Reyes) or a vet that he knows and trusts (Whittle)

If this is true we will be able to move Peters back to right tackle.

Finally 2 stud bookend tackles!!!!!!!! :(

Thank you Marv!

I would hardly call a guy with 2 starts the past two seasons combined a stud

Perhaps this is a case of them picking people higher on his wish list.

Example:

In the TD regime, they may have looked at McNally's top 10 FA/Draftees and went for say 7 or 8 (say Bennie A)

Now: TM/ML are looking at 5 or 6, which results in a younger guy who may have upside (Reyes) or a vet that he knows and trusts (Whittle)

Whittle isn't young. he's been around 10 seasons or so and is 32.