Kelsay's Contract

PistolPeaTear

Could not agree more. While I like the Kelsay signing, it reminds me of signing Josh Reed last season. While Reed was an RFA, I didn't see anyone giving him the money the Bills did. It's kind of like being at an auction and bidding against yourself. I like the move, but at that money, we're not able to afford quality FA's for potentially the O-Line and CB.

Little perplexed right now.

That is exactly what came to mind.

I feel like they're doing this just to show that they re-signed someone, thanks to all the clamouring for them to bring back Nate. Kelsay should have been replaced by a real pass rusher.

I'm not trying to be an aszhole to you, but exactly where is this pass-rusher? It's not in the free agent market. We aren't drafting a DE, so Kelsay makes a lot of sense. Yeah, we overpaid, but that's the market when he is the only bonafide DE. Maybe they think he is still improving...he has gotten better every year.

If he really got 13 mil, nice to see we just pissed away 1/2 of our cash to the cap.

Why pay kelsay that kind of jack when for a little bit more we could have kept Clements.

A little bit more???? Try tripling that figure to resign clements. As far as the contract goes, that is price of doing business in the NFL. Kelsay is just coming into his own. Kapmann got a similar contract after he had 5.5 sacks. Last year he got 15. I dont think Green bay is regretting that decision.

A little bit more???? Try tripling that figure to resign clements. As far as the contract goes, that is price of doing business in the NFL. Kelsay is just coming into his own. Kapmann got a similar contract after he had 5.5 sacks. Last year he got 15. I dont think Green bay is regretting that decision.

A few additional thoughts: The current management is true to its word - they have professed that they prefer to sign their own before looking in free agency. They did exactly that with the Kelsay signing (and Josh Reed before that, and Lindell .....). I like the fact that they have a strategy and they stick to it.

Also lost in all these numbers is the fact that Kelsay is happy to be here in Buffalo and has said he would like to end his career here. How many free agents are going to have that attitude ? While, at this point, it doesnt look like we got a hometown discount, that attitude with all the other positive points brought up in this thread, alone make this a good signing.

A few additional thoughts: The current management is true to its word - they have professed that they prefer to sign their own before looking in free agency. They did exactly that with the Kelsay signing (and Josh Reed before that, and Lindell .....). I like the fact that they have a strategy and they stick to it.

Also lost in all these numbers is the fact that Kelsay is happy to be here in Buffalo and has said he would like to end his career here. How many free agents are going to have that attitude ? While, at this point, it doesnt look like we got a hometown discount, that attitude with all the other positive points brought up in this thread, alone make this a good signing.

All valid points. Kelsay said he really does want to retire a Bill and would not seek out Free Agency unless he had too. Classy guy. I think it was a good all around signing.

I'm not trying to be an aszhole to you, but exactly where is this pass-rusher? It's not in the free agent market. We aren't drafting a DE, so Kelsay makes a lot of sense. Yeah, we overpaid, but that's the market when he is the only bonafide DE. Maybe they think he is still improving...he has gotten better every year.

Not trying to be an **** to you, but in my opinion the problem is that bolded part right there. There's quite a few defensive ends projected around where the Bills pick depending on what site you look at. The Cover 2 puts an emphasis on generating a pass rush with your front four, to the extent that its as simple as your defense failing if you can't do it. Last year we had one pass rusher, thats great...but I feel our defense needs another one. While improving the run defense is first priority, improving the pass rush should be on our radar as well...and while there are other avenues to improving the run D, the only way to improve the pass rush is to draft a DL early. So in my opinion, we should have let the mediocre rotation player walk instead of overpaying him, and at least kept the door open on going defensive end at #12.

EDIT: And what exactly has Chris Kelsay done to be labeled a "bonafide DE"?

Just like to add that Aaron Smith of Pittsburgh re-sign for what is believed to be around $25 million for 5 years. Smith and Kelsay tied in tackles and Kelsay had one more sack last year. Kelsay is also 3 years younger.

But of course, the Steelers are geniuses and the Bills are run by senile old men. :thumbsup:

Just to add one more thought on this....

Kelsay HAS improved every year and before we start saying we have a mediocre DE rotation lets look at the scheme a bit closer....

WE NEED more penetration and pressure from our DT's so that QB's dont step up behind center for that extra second and deliver the ball....that is what has really been hurting our outside pass rush is the fact that when our DE's work/swim upfield they just miss as a QB takes a step up....this is where they should be very uncomfortable to go as a DT should be pushing the pocket inward.....this means two things to me:

Amobe Okoye

and

Kelsay is a good fit......

Just to add one more thought on this....

Kelsay HAS improved every year and before we start saying we have a mediocre DE rotation lets look at the scheme a bit closer....

WE NEED more penetration and pressure from our DT's so that QB's dont step up behind center for that extra second and deliver the ball....that is what has really been hurting our outside pass rush is the fact that when our DE's work/swim upfield they just miss as a QB takes a step up....this is where they should be very uncomfortable to go as a DT should be pushing the pocket inward.....this means two things to me:

Amobe Okoye

and

Kelsay is a good fit......

As well as a healthy and potentially good John McCargo.

As well as a healthy and potentially good John McCargo.

I am Really hoping that McCargo comes out with the intention of proving he was worth that 1st round pick.....

As much as I like Okoye this team might just be thinking that they have McCargo and Tripplet.....know they can pick up a guy like Tank Tyler and decide to go another direction......the fact that Mgehee is being actively shopped makes me think RB will be a priority early and Marshawn Lynch is probably a guy being targeted.........we also need corner help.....

I definately could see this team trading out of that 12th spot for an additional pick and picking up a LB or a Corner or a RB

This is going to be an interesting draft

Just like to add that Aaron Smith of Pittsburgh re-sign for what is believed to be around $25 million for 5 years. Smith and Kelsay tied in tackles and Kelsay had one more sack last year. Kelsay is also 3 years younger.

But of course, the Steelers are geniuses and the Bills are run by senile old men. :thumbsup:

First of all the Aaron Smith Chris Kelsay comparison is out of whack because their responsibilities are completely different. Smith is a 3-4 defensive end whose primary responsibility is gap control (3-4 ends have to controle both the B and C gaps) while keeping the o-lineman off the linebackers. Hence 3-4 defensive end's statistics, specifically Sacks are much lower on avg due to their role in a 3-4 defense. Julius Pepper's himself said he hates playing 3-4 cause its like playing DT Hence a purely statistical comparison between the two does little to demonstrate eithers effectiveness. I think most posters on this board would agree that Aaron Smith is an elite level 3-4 defensive end, conversly Kelsay a middle of the pack starting DE.

As for my thoughts on the signing of Kelsay: Ultimately I will reserve my final judgement until i see the details of the contract, but if what is reported is true I have to say Bill's management/coaches must have seen something in Kelsay that I am missing. While I agree Kelsay is a serviceable DE, I thought a combination of Ryan Denney, Anthony Hargove and lower level FA or middle rd draft pick could have filled the Kelsay void at a much cheaper cost -- Saving the Bills lots of money to pursue either they're own free agents (Clements and London Fletcher) or to pursue other FAs/(potentially available players) in areas of need such as Steinbach, Max Starks, Adalius Thomas, Jared Allen, Micheal Turner, Cato June. To re-iterate I think the Bills overpayed for an avg DE in turn hampering their ability to sign other FA's. But here's hoping Chris Kelsay and the Bill's braintrust prove me wrong.

Where does this leave the "Ralph is too cheap" crowd? Is this a good move - indicative of willingness of Ralph to spend? Or, just a red herring?

It doesn't prove anything either way. It's probably right in line with what they were planning to do, and implied they would do, sign 4-5 guys with "cash to the cap" numbers around 6 million this year.

Will these Bills never fail to look for reasons to drive their fans crazy? I mean, this is sheer madness. Even Kelsay couldnt believe how crazy this deal is! I thought the price for Josh Reed was crazy but this is just beyond description. I can only imagine what Takeo Spikes will be thinking when we lose Clements and Fletcher, and overpay to keep Kelsay :thumbdown:

Will these Bills never fail to look for reasons to drive their fans crazy? I mean, this is sheer madness. Even Kelsay couldnt believe how crazy this deal is! I thought the price for Josh Reed was crazy but this is just beyond description. I can only imagine what Takeo Spikes will be thinking when we lose Clements and Fletcher, and overpay to keep Kelsay :thumbdown:

It doesn't matter what Takeo Spikes thinks. You can let players dictate what the team composition should look like.....Mularkey did and the results are there to see.

Fletcher not wanting to be here is his choice. He could not come to an agreement with the Bills since last season. The same goes with Clements. You cannot pay one guy a huge chunk of money and kill the rest of the team.