Kelsay's Contract

PistolPeaTear

well only 6 mil is gonna end up counting against this years cap number. But reading up on the new cap, i do not think that this is a big deal. There's going to be some ridiculous contract numbers coming out this upcoming week. The Kelsay deal just happens to be one of the first big ones to happen. I still will however be disappointed if we do not re-sign nate. I wouldve rather given up kelsay to bring back nate at 8-9 mil per year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I am just not understanding something on the board today.....

I could have lived with the loss of Kelsay....but the fact is that mgt showed that they are willing to open up the checkbook for a young, best years ahead of him, DE who was going to get PAID this year due to lack of talent pool in free agency.....

And we are complaining about that? It shows we are willing to pay....which will attract other free agents...and shows that they are trying to biuld a solid youth base for this team

AND we dont KNOW how much Clements is going to get!

Anybody other than me feel like Marv and company seem to overpay for 2nd tier talent and then claim they can't afford to sign a big name? We overpaid for Reed, Price, and Royal last year. It could be agrued that we also overpaid for Triplett, and now 6 million a year for Kelsay?

I feel a little more positive about the Kelsay signing than some, but overall I agree that Marv's overpaid for the likes of Reyes, Fowler, Triplett, Price, etc. None of the free agents Marv's acquired thus far are long-term, solid answers as starters. I hope that changes soon.

Wow! I like Kelsay but not at that kind of money. How much money do the Bills have tied up at DE now? I think its hard to justify all of this money being spent on our DEs especially when you think they disappear at times.

Remember schobel is around 30+, may hit the age wall soon. Hopefully not. With he Bills D, D-lineman are very improtant, the rush is aggressive all out, need to have fresh bodies in there. In addition, Kelsay used to be our interior DT during obvious pass rushing situations. He looked significantly bigger this year

Anybody other than me feel like Marv and company seem to overpay for 2nd tier talent and then claim they can't afford to sign a big name? We overpaid for Reed, Price, and Royal last year. It could be agrued that we also overpaid for Triplett, and now 6 million a year for Kelsay?

Could not agree more. While I like the Kelsay signing, it reminds me of signing Josh Reed last season. While Reed was an RFA, I didn't see anyone giving him the money the Bills did. It's kind of like being at an auction and bidding against yourself. I like the move, but at that money, we're not able to afford quality FA's for potentially the O-Line and CB.

Little perplexed right now.

Couple ways to think about this:

1) Everyone whines about stopping the run. Well, you start by having a good rotation of DL. Kelsay may not be the greatest DE in the world, but he is fairly strong against the run.

2) Kelsay has improved every year of his career and is entering the prime of his career. In fact, Kelsay was our leading tackler among DEs this year.

The money seems a little high at first glance, but you have to remember he is a starting DE in this league, the big money position. For instance, remember the huge deal Grant Widstrom got a free years ago??? Well, he are his stats. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12838 Stat wise, Kelsay has been the better player. He is a very solid player who will only get better. You win by running and stopping the run.

P.S. He also tied Freeney in sacks as well. So maybe we got a huge bargain. :worthy:

Good signing and reasonable levels. Please remember that not all running is right at the DTs and that ends matter against the run too. I wouldn't have broken the bank for Kelsey, but this does make us strong, four deep (with Hargrove), and is reasonable money.

Two comments for what others were saying:

1) This is not $13 million of our cash to cap this year

2) We could not get Nate for a few more bucks

If Kelsey is above average to good over the next couple years, this is an excellent deal. If he is not it isn't a huge bust.

I agree that we can probably cross another position off of our off season list. Other than backups or practice team: no safeties, no QBs, no P, no K, no LT, no C. Still looking to get better at OG, DT, LB, CB, WR, TE, RB. I can live with that shopping list for this point in the off season with the money and draft picks we have. I think we are in good position heading into the off season. Losing London, Nate, and maybe Willis (I still hope not) we are going to have some holes to fill.

i like the fact we kept one of our own, i've been preaching it........i just wish they would have done this earlier.......you don't need 4 years to evaluate a player........would kelsey have taken a 10M bonus with a 5M average before last season?.......would he have taken a 8M bonus with a 4M average the year before that?......i say yes on both counts

for those that say players won't take these deals and will wait for free agency, just look at the eagles, they get it done time and time again by targeting players earlier (sometime in their 2nd year) and offering big extensions which end up being bargains.......

now that being said, get on JP and evans now before we have to overpay to keep them......makes no sense to wait

I like Kelsay but that is way too much money...Schobels was what, another year and 2 more million

I think the Bills panicked a bit with this move, yeah he might have got the same contract elsewhere but is he worth it is the question

$13 million spread over 4 years isn't too unreasonable. The $23 million figure is just "agent speak" as the only guarantees in the NFL are bonus money. He probably needs to hit a lot of performance goals to get to $23 million....if he doesn't, they won't be paid and if he does the contract will be cheap.

:yeahthat:

he probably has a lot tied to 'funny money' like making 500k for getting 10 special teams tackles or something that's highly unlikely like that.

I love this move. The Bills signed back a must player for this defense. Kelsay and Denney are a great 1,2 punch.

Call me crazy, but I just can't see the value in signing someone like Kelsay to 6 mil per year just so he can rotate with Ryan Denney. At 6 mil per year, he better be out there for 97% of all snaps and picking up somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 sacks per year....

It is amazing how much money some of these "B" level players are getting this year because of the thin FA crop. Everyone has all this money to spend, and all of the pressure to upgrade their teams that they will throw money at people that don't deserve it...all this is going to do is make it that much harder to keep your REAL star players when they come up for contract.

I don't think we should B word about this until we know the specifics of the contract. Guaranteed money is a very vague term, and could mean a roster bonuses, incentives, AND the signing bonus. When people start saying $6 mil per year, they have no idea what that means.

Hell, the 4th year of his contract could have a base salary of 10 million. That would make the contract essentially a 3-year contract at a reasonable price.