Kelsay's Contract

PistolPeaTear

Off PFT, via Schefter

POSTED 6:54 p.m. EST, February 26, 2007

BILLS GIVE KELSAY $13 MILLION, GUARANTEED

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Buffalo Bills have signed defensive end Chris Kelsay to a four-year, $23 million deal. The package includes roughly $13 million in guaranteed money.

If Kelsay, who has 12.5 career sacks, is worth $6 million a year, what will guys like Adalius Thomas and Patrick Kerney receive? Will it be $8 million a year?

And what would Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney get if he were on the open market? $11 million?

The reality is that the cap is shooting up by another $7 million this year and teams will spend the money, regardless of the quality of the free-agency crop.

I still can't believe he is getting this much, i like Kelsay, but 13 mil guaranteed is a lot. but if we are giving out deals like this and under the new cap, i do wonder what it is going to take to re-sign nate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off PFT, via Schefter

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Buffalo Bills have signed defensive end Chris Kelsay to a four-year, $23 million deal. The package includes roughly $13 million in guaranteed money.

If Kelsay, who has 12.5 career sacks, is worth $6 million a year, what will guys like Adalius Thomas and Patrick Kerney receive? Will it be $8 million a year?

And what would Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney get if he were on the open market? $11 million?

The reality is that the cap is shooting up by another $7 million this year and teams will spend the money, regardless of the quality of the free-agency crop.

I still can't believe he is getting this much, i like Kelsay, but 13 mil guaranteed is a lot. but if we are giving out deals like this and under the new cap, i do wonder what it is going to take to re-sign nate.

Wow, if thats what we will give Kelsey I have to think we have a shot at Steinbach or Dielman.

Off PFT, via Schefter

I love this move. The Bills signed back a must player for this defense. Kelsay and Denney are a great 1,2 punch.

Anybody other than me feel like Marv and company seem to overpay for 2nd tier talent and then claim they can't afford to sign a big name? We overpaid for Reed, Price, and Royal last year. It could be agrued that we also overpaid for Triplett, and now 6 million a year for Kelsay?

Why are we giving out 13 million guaranteed to a DE that defines average. If our run defense was good I could see why they'de want to keep him, but it wasn't. If he was able to apply pressure on the QB at meaningful times then it would be worth it. I would much rather see Ralph pull out the checkbook for a top 5 player in Clements. Fletcher leaving is fine, because I think Marv is targeting Willis with that 12th pick. Loosing Clements and having a sub par D-line is going to make our cover 2 look terrible.

That's probably not too bad. I would guess what it amounts to is 6-7 mil this year (and towards our cash to cap), then 6-7 mil next year, and then 5 mil each in year 3 and 4. We can cut him and not lose much if he doesn't pan out after two years, or he is a steal if he does pan out. Remember, Jauron, Fewell, and Kollar, all defensive guys, along with Marv, only had this last year to evaluate Kelsay. They must have liked him quite a bit.

Anybody other than me feel like Marv and company seem to overpay for 2nd tier talent and then claim they can't afford to sign a big name? We overpaid for Reed, Price, and Royal last year. It could be agrued that we also overpaid for Triplett, and now 6 million a year for Kelsay?

Ever stop to think that Buffalo is one of the least desired places people want to play, hence the reason the Bills need to overpay them to come?

And just because the contract calls for $13M in guaranteed money, it doesn't mean it all goes against this year's cap.

And nice going, JR! :worthy:

$13 million spread over 4 years isn't too unreasonable. The $23 million figure is just "agent speak" as the only guarantees in the NFL are bonus money. He probably needs to hit a lot of performance goals to get to $23 million....if he doesn't, they won't be paid and if he does the contract will be cheap.

Well 13 million pissed away, now we got 18 left. Marv better hope he gets lucky and Kelsay becomes an amazing player because we've probably already lost our best 2 defensive players on a defense that was bad last year. Bills are banking on an amazing draft, the players from last year turning it up a notch in year 2, and J.P. Losman taking a drastic step forward and becoming a star. All these things are possible, and I think Losman can become a winning quarterback with a better O-line and another year, but it's probably doubtful.

He's fast and is pretty good at getting sacks and hurrying the qb. He's and Schobel make a pretty good team at DE. This contract makes sense.

Apparently Marv thinks so too! They must think he has alot of potential and he will fit in nicely in their defense. It's not always HOW talented, but how you USE it!

The only two concerns of present players that I had was McGahee & clements; one doesn't earn his pay and the other too expensive to keep. The rest, have faith in Marv.