ESPN Insider Chat

KC from Cali

mark (miami fl): why are people saying that buffalo will be the team to beat in the next couple of years

SportsNation Jeremy Green: Not sure. They are too cheap to be good. They have close to 33 million in cap room and are going to let Clements and Fletcher walk. They are too frugal to put anything together long term.

pedro (dunkirk ny): what do the bills have to in this draft and free agency to be a playoff team

SportsNation Jeremy Green: Follow up. Re-sign Clements and Fletcher. Have a nother good draft and they are there.

SCOTT(SYRACUSE): Horrible answer to Buffalo question why over pay for a cover 2 corner and an old line backer when Evans and Losman will need extensions soon plus we have o-line needs

SportsNation Jeremy Green: OK Scott. Watch that cap space sit there and mold like rotten milk. The Bills are not going after any big time players because they have cap, but they don't have CASH and there is a big difference.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark (miami fl): why are people saying that buffalo will be the team to beat in the next couple of years

SportsNation Jeremy Green: Not sure. They are too cheap to be good. They have close to 33 million in cap room and are going to let Clements and Fletcher walk. They are too frugal to put anything together long term.

pedro (dunkirk ny): what do the bills have to in this draft and free agency to be a playoff team

SportsNation Jeremy Green: Follow up. Re-sign Clements and Fletcher. Have a nother good draft and they are there.

SCOTT(SYRACUSE): Horrible answer to Buffalo question why over pay for a cover 2 corner and an old line backer when Evans and Losman will need extensions soon plus we have o-line needs

SportsNation Jeremy Green: OK Scott. Watch that cap space sit there and mold like rotten milk. The Bills are not going after any big time players because they have cap, but they don't have CASH and there is a big difference.

Who is Jeremy Green and why does his opinion matter?

However, the perception that Buffalo is "cheap" doesn't bode well for attracting free agents or other teams really caring about small market teams that refuse to help themselves.

Clayton was on an ESPN radio show that aired on WGR yesterday afternoon. The topic of the Bills came up all I could hear was something about the team playing the pauper role. Does anyone remember what else they were talking about besides WM?

BTW Jeremy Green is Denny Green's kid. Was an NFL scout for 11 years his bio says. I think the national media perception is Buffalo is just too cheap to keep a nucleus of guys together for too long.

Who is Jeremy Green and why does his opinion matter?

However, the perception that Buffalo is "cheap" doesn't bode well for attracting free agents or other teams really caring about small market teams that refuse to help themselves.

Well I was screaming at Adam Schefter (NFL Network) this weekend when He was pointing out the Bills were going to be gutted on D (Clements,Fletcher and Kelsay would be gone), almost like they had Cap problems...Then in almost the same breath He named about 10 potential HIGH priced UFA's the 49ers were expected to make a run at with all their Cap room...There is a perception throughout the Media that the Bills are 2nd Class NFL citizens and there really is no question about it...

F'em I say... :wallbash:

Well I was screaming at Adam Schefter (NFL Network) this weekend when He was pointing out the Bills were going to be gutted on D (Clements,Fletcher and Kelsay would be gone), almost like they had Cap problems...Then in almost the same breath He named about 10 potential HIGH priced UFA's the 49ers were expected to make a run at with all their Cap room...There is a perception throughout the Media that the Bills are 2nd Class NFL citizens and there really is no question about it...

Talk is cheap. The 49'ers can target 10 guys, but they'll probably end up with just 1 or 2. I think Adalius Thomas ends up there, with a record-breaking deal.

It's too early to call the Bills cheap. We have yet to see who they resign, what effort they make to resign their free agents and who replaces those unsigned free agents.

It's too early to call the Bills cheap. We have yet to see who they resign, what effort they make to resign their free agents and who replaces those unsigned free agents.

Seeing as Marv has already unveiled the new "cash to cap" scheme, I don't think it is too early. It is, however, too early to tell how successful this will be.

Okay. I'm confused.

Do we get more cap dollars over the years if we do big prorated bonuses now? Or does not prorating crazy bonuses give us flexibility and more cap room in future years? Are we being blamed for not taking advantage of a loophole that let's us spend more now but forces less later (when prorated bonuses force us into cutting players and having less to spend). I don't see how not mortgage our future is a bad business decision, and I think it instead is a strategy that will allow us to be MORE competitive year in year out.

I can't believe we are getting blasted for letting a very good but soon to be overpaid corner walk, and potentially an older linebacker who worked hard and I would love to keep, but was not an impact player this year and will only be a year older. We will undoubtedly be weaker at corner and possibly weaker at LB (but probably stronger when the dust settles), but will be a better team by putting available money elsewhere.

But if we trade Willis for anything less than a first at this point we will NOT be able to get his 2007 value in return with whatever pick we get, so if we do that it is based on Marv's character stance or the idea of valuing 2008-2010 improvements (when that draft pick is with us, but Willis would not be) over 2007 talent.

In the words of Stephen Colbert....Tell me where I'm wrong....

Seeing as Marv has already unveiled the new "cash to cap" scheme, I don't think it is too early. It is, however, too early to tell how successful this will be.

I hear you, but if that means they will spend $30 million on players this offseason, that would rate as the most they have ever spent in a single offseason and should buy a few players.

The Patriots didn't even spend to the cap last year. If Pioli/Bellichik announced they were spending to the cap, the league would start gobbling their knobs again and talk about what a strong fiscal policy it was to ensure the team's financial future. Since its Buffalo, and Ralph has been a pain in the ass to the league in trying to protect the small market teams, proving all the idiots who called him senile for voting against the collective bargaining agreement wrong, and also making the right call on Marv when eveyone bad mounthed him, of course they are going to try and put us down.

Let's be realistic. We don't have the money to be spend-happy like the Redskins. We do have the money to pursue targeted free agents wich is what Marv will do. If it came down to spreading a bit over the cap and amortizing a few signing bonuses for the right people, Ralph and Marv would do it.

The pressure that this fiscal policy puts on the team is that they absolutely MUST have a strong draft. You have to be able to draft good talent if you don't have FA to make up for your mistakes.

RTB

Okay. I'm confused.

Do we get more cap dollars over the years if we do big prorated bonuses now? Or does not prorating crazy bonuses give us flexibility and more cap room in future years? Are we being blamed for not taking advantage of a loophole that let's us spend more now but forces less later (when prorated bonuses force us into cutting players and having less to spend). I don't see how not mortgage our future is a bad business decision, and I think it instead is a strategy that will allow us to be MORE competitive year in year out.

I can't believe we are getting blasted for letting a very good but soon to be overpaid corner walk, and potentially an older linebacker who worked hard and I would love to keep, but was not an impact player this year and will only be a year older. We will undoubtedly be weaker at corner and possibly weaker at LB (but probably stronger when the dust settles), but will be a better team by putting available money elsewhere.

But if we trade Willis for anything less than a first at this point we will NOT be able to get his 2007 value in return with whatever pick we get, so if we do that it is based on Marv's character stance or the idea of valuing 2008-2010 improvements (when that draft pick is with us, but Willis would not be) over 2007 talent.

In the words of Stephen Colbert....Tell me where I'm wrong....

You're wrong in that we already have all the flexibility we need. Spending less now does not guarantee spending more in the future. (In fact, you can probably argue spending less now will lead to spending less in the future, but that's besides the point.) We can prorate crazy bonuses - in your words - and still have cap room next season, and the season after, and the season after...

There is a perception throughout the Media that the Bills are 2nd Class NFL citizens and there really is no question about it...

F'em I say... :blink:

It seems that Marv Levy and Ralph have been going out of their way to remind us that the Buffalo Bills are 2nd Class NFL citizens...can't really blame the media for that one.

IMO, even if it was the Bills intention to go after low-grade FA's and not pony up to pay their own, they shouldn't necessarily be going to the media and telling them as much...

I know it is still too early to tell what the Bills will do, but what the information they have given, can't really lead to any other conclusions. There really is absolutely no other reason that they can't re-sign Nate Clements (assuming he is someone they would want to keep), other than monatary considerations. If money is taking them out of the picture in the Nate Clements sweepstakes, while they are a gaudy 33 million under the cap, than I am afraid that the Bills have made a conscious decision to operate as a 2nd tier team, hoping to capture ligthening in a bottle. It may work, but I would say the odds are stacked pretty heavily against them.

It seems that Marv Levy and Ralph have been going out of their way to remind us that the Buffalo Bills are 2nd Class NFL citizens...can't really blame the media for that one.

IMO, even if it was the Bills intention to go after low-grade FA's and not pony up to pay their own, they shouldn't necessarily be going to the media and telling them as much...

I know it is still too early to tell what the Bills will do, but what the information they have given, can't really lead to any other conclusions. There really is absolutely no other reason that they can't re-sign Nate Clements (assuming he is someone they would want to keep), other than monatary considerations. If money is taking them out of the picture in the Nate Clements sweepstakes, while they are a gaudy 33 million under the cap, than I am afraid that the Bills have made a conscious decision to operate as a 2nd tier team, hoping to capture ligthening in a bottle. It may work, but I would say the odds are stacked pretty heavily against them.

That Sir, was a great post.

Imo, the Buffalo Bills will never be a second class franchise because of us, the fans. Bills Fans are a special lot, in that we will never quit. I have never actually met an "ex-Bills Fan." My 22 year old daughter did once, and she told the guy that he was "lame" and "bogus." That's my girl! :blink:

I don't think that the atmosphere at RWS can ever be duplicated. It is filled with dedicated, down to earth, nice (and very funny) people.

I think that many of us fear that the end is near. I might not sound like it at times, but I really DO want to be positive. The thing is, our owner and GM are a combined 168 years old or thereabout. Levy even wanted to be the head coach. I am thankful that Ralph could see that this was not in the cards.

Hey, if we MUST lose Nate, so be it, but the money is there for Kelsay and Fletch. What pisses me off is that with 39 million dollars cap space, we should already be doing things. Marv wants "character?" Who has more of it than Lee Evans (or so it would seem)? They should rip up his !@#$ contrat and lock him up. :lol: They should also do all they can to extend JP. I mean, why not? Marv is announcing the financial plans of the team, and in the next breath saying that he doesn't understand the cap. :worthy:

Maybe things will get better in a few days or so, but we are in danger of losing some of our most talented players. Maybe Marv will, at 81, change his ways, but I am fearing another 1st day defensive back (or 2).

Perhaps we will make offers to good players soon, instead of a dog like Tim Anderson. All we have as fans is hope and dedication, but this is a good portion of what being a Bills Fan is about.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Bills didn't have many holes to fill this offseason (and had a great defence last year), I would agree with that comment. But I see this as more of a "We would get better results if we spen the money on other positions rather then spending it on a luxury". On a team like this, Nate is a luxury. In the scheme they play on defence, he doesn't use all of his "abilities" so to break the bank on him when other positions then may suffer since they won't have the money to spend elsewhere. We all know Nate is going to get a rediculous offer from a team looking to make a splash this offseason and will probably be overpayed.

I'm sure even Bill would agree that if it came down to Nate leaving and the Bills getting 2 decent OG's to shore up the lines over resigning Nate and living with Reyes Vilareal, and Gandy, he'd go lines

I'm sure even Bill would agree that if it came down to Nate leaving and the Bills getting 2 decent OG's to shore up the lines over resigning Nate and living with Reyes Vilareal, and Gandy, he'd go lines

You got that right! :blink: It makes complete sense. Put a solid OL on this team, firm up against the run, and we will march to the playoffs imo, even without the obligatory 1st round DB. :worthy:

PS: I still support the franchise tag for London and keeping Kelsay if at all possible.