Cbssportsline.com thinks we will get Dwayne Jarrett

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a perfect pick. Our D-line will be addressed. This draft is going to be mainly on offense, so might as well take the best offensive player available at the time which should be jarrett. And don't be fooled, besides evans there is no one at wr that intimidates defenses.

No we don't. Mccargo was a first rounder last year who is only going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching. If we lose Nate and Fletch, we have three very equal priorties in a Big WR, a MLB, and a CB. While the big WR could be addressed through FA, the other two likely will not. We also have noone on this roster capable of stepping up into those positions and playing them at the level needed to win in the NFL.

initially I was all for Jarrett - but even if we go WR I don't think we'll go for Jarrett. He's a primadonna and a selfish player - pretty much the polar opposite of Evans. Marv likes team-first guys more than anything else. I hope we get that big WR in FA; otherwise there may be a great one still on the board in the 2nd or 3rd.

Also we do have McCargo and the one or two games where he actually saw extensive action, I was pretty impressed considering he was supposed to be a guy that would take some time to really contribute. But I still think we could use a force on the inside like Branch or Okoye.

No we don't. Mccargo was a first rounder last year who is only going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching.

can you tell me what McCargo did last year to prove to anyone that he is going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching?

he didnt show anything last year so how can you possibly make that statement

initially I was all for Jarrett - but even if we go WR I don't think we'll go for Jarrett. He's a primadonna and a selfish player - pretty much the polar opposite of Evans.

Where'd we pull this info from? And please don't cite some blog, or a UCLA message board.

I would place WR as a need, but there are many other needs that top WR. I just don't understand where you get this about Jarrett. If he's a primadonna and selfish, he's the first I've ever seen who consistently goes high over the middle and comes down with the ball.

There are some negatives surrounding him, like a lack of top-end speed. But as a close follower of USC, I've never heard of Jarrett criticized as a selfish player, or a detriment to the team. He's a big time WR and we all know they typically come with some baggage. Evans is the exception to the rule. I realize this is only a message board, but it's not healthy to simply make schit up.

Where'd we pull this info from? And please don't cite some blog, or a UCLA message board.

I would place WR as a need, but there are many other needs that top WR. I just don't understand where you get this about Jarrett. If he's a primadonna and selfish, he's the first I've ever seen who consistently goes high over the middle and comes down with the ball.

There are some negatives surrounding him, like a lack of top-end speed. But as a close follower of USC, I've never heard of Jarrett criticized as a selfish player, or a detriment to the team. He's a big time WR and we all know they typically come with some baggage. Evans is the exception to the rule. I realize this is only a message board, but it's not healthy to simply make schit up.

I think its because of what he did during the Rose Bowl against MICH when he was going into the endzone and he pointed at the defender as he was crossing the goal line and for his continued celebration on the sideline.

I LOVE Jarret and if our run D wasn't so porous, I would be all for drafting him. He reminds me a lot of Roy WIlliams in DET, plus he has proven that he can find the EZ...41 TDs in 3 years. Yikes.

If I were to pick a WR, it wouldn't be him...it would be Robert Meachem who is bigger, quicker and better. If I needed a wide rceiver I'd go the FA route and get Kelley Washington from Cincinnatti, who I could probably get for a MUCH more modest amount of money.

But that begs the question -WE DON'T NEED A WIDE RECEIVER. With better pass protection we don't have to rely on the two tight end and fullback (te) blocking schemes to get JP enough time. It might as well be Peerless Price or anyone who runs their routes turns and sees the quarterback knocked on his ass.

There are two very good defensive tackles available, Okoye and Branch. There is a very good gaurd available, Blaylock. Go that route.

If I were to pick a WR, it wouldn't be him...it would be Robert Meachem who is bigger, quicker and better. If I needed a wide rceiver I'd go the FA route and get Kelley Washington from Cincinnatti, who I could probably get for a MUCH more modest amount of money.

But that begs the question -WE DON'T NEED A WIDE RECEIVER. With better pass protection we don't have to rely on the two tight end and fullback (te) blocking schemes to get JP enough time. It might as well be Peerless Price or anyone who runs their routes turns and sees the quarterback knocked on his ass.

There are two very good defensive tackles available, Okoye and Branch. There is a very good gaurd available, Blaylock. Go that route.

Take off the blinders Tenny, Meachem is not even in the same class as Jarrett. The kid is a big time playmaker and deep threat. Meachem like every other Tennessee WR will fizzle in the NFL.

Take off the blinders Tenny, Meachem is not even in the same class as Jarrett. The kid is a big time playmaker and deep threat. Meachem like every other Tennessee WR will fizzle in the NFL.

Ahhhh...and when Peyton Manning was in the draft you were probably one of those morons who said Tennessee QB's never made it in the NFL and went with Ryan Leaf!

I'll save this post til next year...let's see which WR performs better. Proof is in the pudding.

Meachem is 6'3 210 lbs. Jarrett is 6'5" 220.

Ahhhh...and when Peyton Manning was in the draft you were probably one of those morons who said Tennessee QB's never made it in the NFL and went with Ryan Leaf!

I'll save this post til next year...let's see which WR performs better. Proof is in the pudding.

Actually moron I was a Peyton advocate. There is no comparison. And your pudding is going to be spoiled.

maybe..let's see how the two of them play. I'm not so sure as to say your pudding will be spoiled. The comparison is pretty good by the way. Tennessee had a number of good quarterbacks who were less than successful in the pros before Manning. Your saying that because the other Tennessee receivers (many of whom are still playing and starting in the pros) predict the success of Meacham is pretty much on point.

maybe..let's see how the two of them play. I'm not so sure as to say your pudding will be spoiled. The comparison is pretty good by the way. Tennessee had a number of good quarterbacks who were less than successful in the pros before Manning. Your saying that because the other Tennessee receivers (many of whom are still playing and starting in the pros) predict the success of Meacham is pretty much on point.

It just goes to proper coaching. Some coaches teach the WR a sysytem some teach them how to be WR's. Its a tough call.

A lot will depend on free agency. Usually, a team will go into the draft with all positions filled and then draft the best available player. Even last season when 2 safeties were drafted, the Bills had acquired Matt Bowen prior to that.

I think we will see the Bills actively pursue LBs, DTs, CBs, and OG's in Free Agency. If they acquire bodies at those positions then Dwayne Jarrett or Marshawn Lynch could be taken at #12.

No we don't. Mccargo was a first rounder last year who is only going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching. If we lose Nate and Fletch, we have three very equal priorties in a Big WR, a MLB, and a CB. While the big WR could be addressed through FA, the other two likely will not. We also have noone on this roster capable of stepping up into those positions and playing them at the level needed to win in the NFL.

This is one of those posts you chuckle at, and save as Exhibit A of the "experts" around here who couldn't be more wrong. Probably was spewing the same garbage after Fat Pat left as well, and how awesone Ron Edwards was going to be. :rolleyes:

I would take Meachem too...but then again I am a UT fan. Meachem is an excellent possession receiver that can compliment Evans. Why would we want another deep threat? I rather we have Evans, Price and Meachem....

This is one of those posts you chuckle at, and save as Exhibit A of the "experts" around here who couldn't be more wrong. Probably was spewing the same garbage after Fat Pat left as well, and how awesone Ron Edwards was going to be. :rolleyes:

And I am sure that you know that much better then the Bills and they are going to give up on a 1st round pick after 1 year, especially at a position where strength and coaching shows that the better players take a few years to develop.

And I am sure that you know that much better then the Bills and they are going to give up on a 1st round pick after 1 year, especially at a position where strength and coaching shows that the better players take a few years to develop.

Leave logic out fo this VA. Did McCargo make the pro bowl last year as a rookie? No? then he sucks and will never amount to anything, because a rookie has never gotten better in his career or anything. :rolleyes:

I'm not selling McCargo short. It's just with Anderson gone, they need another quality DT in the rotation, and if they're serious about building a championship level D, then they can't get by throwing another 5th rounder in there.

:worthy:

Leave logic out fo this VA. Did McCargo make the pro bowl last year as a rookie? No? then he sucks and will never amount to anything, because a rookie has never gotten better in his career or anything. ;)

Yeah, let's pin our hopes on wishes and dreams :rolleyes: That kind of logic should get us back to the playoffs. Since you're one of the resident "experts" it doesn't surprise me that you twist and dismiss. Same things were being said about Ron Edwards when Fat Pat left, and we saw how that worked out. I'm sure it makes sense to you that we spin our wheels and try to build the team around another CB.

I would love to see the Buffalo Bills pick Dwayne Jarrett.

I know the Bills need help on defense, we all know that...but it is not like the offense was tearing things up either.

Losman / McGahee / Running Back 1A / Evans / Jarrett would give the Bills a better offensive balance. Teams will have to now respect the Bills passing attack, which would then create better machups for WM, and vice versa.

Look at the Saints last year. Their defense the year before was PUTRID. What did the Saints do? Bush, signed Brees...and filled the defensive holes with good, solid moves on the defensive side of the ball (Hollis Thomas, Simoneau, etc) and it worked for them.

Why can't the Bills do the same?

I'd rather get some vets on the defensive side of the ball now and draft playmakers on offense.

Look at the Saints last year. Their defense the year before was PUTRID. What did the Saints do? Bush, signed Brees...and filled the defensive holes with good, solid moves on the defensive side of the ball (Hollis Thomas, Simoneau, etc) and it worked for them.

Why can't the Bills do the same?

I'd rather get some vets on the defensive side of the ball now and draft playmakers on offense.

Colston was a HUGE part of the Saints offense this year, and he was a shot-in-the-dark as a 7th rounder.

There's this thing called the offseason strength and conditioning program Max997, it's helped players before. :rolleyes:

the only thing you did with this post was avoid the question...just because a team has an offseason strength and conditioning program doesnt mean every player is going to only going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching like he say he will???

again, you are basing this on what??? ;)

as an example it took Denney how long to show anything? sure as hell wasnt his second year

:devil:

Yeah, let's pin our hopes on wishes and dreams :sick: That kind of logic should get us back to the playoffs. Since you're one of the resident "experts" it doesn't surprise me that you twist and dismiss. Same things were being said about Ron Edwards when Fat Pat left, and we saw how that worked out. I'm sure it makes sense to you that we spin our wheels and try to build the team around another CB.

Yeah but here's the thing you are both forgetting: changes in who makes these decisions. Yes, Edwards was supposed to fill PW's spot. But who told us that?

Donahoe.

I don't suppose you are saying that this was Donahoe's only mistake? So, you can't point to only one example - especially when it's not a valid example since it's Marv/DJ +scouts+coaches decision now - and therefore say that McCargo/get another CB = spinning wheels. On the other hand, we can't just have blind faith in McCargo either. For my part, I am willing to trust the Marv. I also think that DJ is a hell of a football coach and more than capable of evaluating talent properly. He drafted many of the guys on the Bears, and they aren't doing too badly. Things seem headed in the right direction and I would suggest that we can be cautiously optimistic about this year's player moves.

That would be a perfect pick. Our D-line will be addressed. This draft is going to be mainly on offense, so might as well take the best offensive player available at the time which should be jarrett. And don't be fooled, besides evans there is no one at wr that intimidates defenses.

Jarrett is pretty much the exact opposite of the character guys Marv looks at. He hangs with Snoop Dogg, nuff said.

can you tell me what McCargo did last year to prove to anyone that he is going to get bigger , stronger and better with age and coaching?

And here we go again. One season, in which he was injured and the retards are ready to chalk his career up as being a bust. The Bills saw this kid as talented enough to merit a first round pick, and before we hit the panic button and draft his replacement after a 12 month period where he played in 2 games. Who knows what this kid has? Marv an Co drafted him in round 1 and he will get a chance to play this season, its too much of an investment to just throw away after one year.

:devil:

Yeah, let's pin our hopes on wishes and dreams :sick: That kind of logic should get us back to the playoffs. Since you're one of the resident "experts" it doesn't surprise me that you twist and dismiss. Same things were being said about Ron Edwards when Fat Pat left, and we saw how that worked out. I'm sure it makes sense to you that we spin our wheels and try to build the team around another CB.

He was freaking INJURED

You're absolutely right. And Bruce Smith was a chubby confused rookie DE who managed only 6.5 sacks.

Two years later he was in the Pro Bowl for the first of eleven times.

And here we go again. One season, in which he was injured and the retards are ready to chalk his career up as being a bust. The Bills saw this kid as talented enough to merit a first round pick, and before we hit the panic button and draft his replacement after a 12 month period where he played in 2 games. Who knows what this kid has? Marv an Co drafted him in round 1 and he will get a chance to play this season, its too much of an investment to just throw away after one year.

Do you people actually read the threads before attacking? Max997 was responding to a statement from VABills that McCargo was going to get bigger, stronger, better etc. He wasn't saying that he wont.....he was merely asking how anyone can so categorically say that it will be the case.

Facts are that over 50% of all 1st round picks are busts. This means that there has to be a decent chance that McCargo simply wont make it. Considering that we use a lot of rotation at DT & we need another decent DT since letting Anderson go will create a void.....why is it a stretch that we pick another DT this year in the draft?

IMO, apart from Londons replacement, I can't think of a more important need on this this team. If McCargo does not make it, we are stuck with Tripplett(who might excel with better support) & Williams(who surely can't be counted on to become a star DT).

We have a STAR WR......adding another when we are so weak against the run on D is a sure way to never win anything in the near future.

If we end up with 2 STAR DTs & 1 STAR WR, that would be fantastic wouldn't it?

If we end up with 1 STAR DT & 1 STAR WR, that would be pretty good wouldn't it?

If we end up with 0 STAR DTs & 2 STAR WRs, that would be fun to watch....but ultimately a disappointment, season after season after season....wouldn't it?

One point I haven't seen addressed is the fact that once Tim Anderson is let loose, the defensive tackle brought in must be able to play on the nose. We need two NTs and two UTs in the rotation. I wouldn't want to see the result of the undersized Tripplett being put on the nose, and I'd like to let McCargo continue to develop at the pass rushing tackle position.

So when you talk about drafting a defensive tackle, you have to consider that in all likelihood it would have to be a nose tackle. As 1st rounders go, obviously Okoye can't play on the nose, so if you're going to keep McCargo and Tripplett, Okoye is a stretch. Branch could probably play the NT spot, so if he falls to us I have no problem taking him. Pitcock, I don't know much about, and I don't really care as taking him at 12 seems like a stretch to me based off what I've read.

So if Branch isn't there when we go on the clock, I believe we should look elsewhere, particularly DE. In the cover 2 you must generate a pass rush from your defensive line, and the brutally inconsistent pressure from the Denney/Kelsay combo on the left side isn't enough for me. I'd want to let Kelsay walk in free agency, and grab either Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams at 12.

If they don't want to go that route, I'd think about Patrick Willis, but I'd also have no problems turning my sights to Dwayne Jarrett. We have a chance to have a great offense here with Losman, Evans, and an offensive line that showed itself to be on the rise in the 2nd half of '06. All thats really missing is a stud at Guard (free agency hopefully) and a 2nd playmaker in the passing game. I think Dwayne Jarrett can help this offense tremendously in taking the next step forward.

As for DT, I think McCargo and Kyle Williams both having another year both in the NFL and in the cover 2, and with Williams getting a healthy dose of offseason conditioning, we should see improvement from that pair. I'd look to solidify the rotation with a free agent nosetackle such as Ian Scott, or a 3rd-5th round draft pick. But I think we're better off with a DE, WR, or even a LB in the 1st round.

He was freaking INJURED

Yeah, and your point is what? I hope you were freaking drunk when you responded, because it makes no sense, and actually bolsters the whole point - which is to build up the trenches through the draft. I mean WOW, seriously, do people read the threads before they post, or even understand if they do read them? Please point to a specific post which states McCargo is a bust and we should give up on him. I didn't think so - that's the typical twist you see some of the experts around here apply to posts they want to dismiss, and the lemmings just jump on board and accept it as fact. Fact is, even if McCargo turns out, I believe we still need another interior lineman, and a blue chipper at that, so I think that should be addressed through the draft. Amazing how quickly people forget the weaknesses of the team all season, and their attention starts drifting to more glamourous picks.