Would you want

5 Wide

Ok, lets get a few things out of the way. Yes, he is old. Yes, he held a lot. However, Yes, he played at a high level for the Bears this season. Yes he is a free agent. Yes he still loves Buffalo and holds high regard for those that are here now.

The question is, would you want Ruben back so he could play LG for a season or two while developing a LG for the future? Plus, he could retire a Bill. I know we all wanted to run him out of town when he was here for his play, but in retrospect, the pile of excrement we have had at LG for the last several seasons makes it seem like Ruben really wasn't all that bad for us after all. Just a question to discuss. I'm not sure what my opinion is on it either.

You heard me. Like I said was never a huge fan and always thought he could have been a better player.

agree furiously. i always thought that it was the defensive players in the league voting him to pro-bowls just so he would be sure to start against them in the regular season.

I would look at and consider anybody ANYBODY right now who may have the slightest chance of improving the Bills woeful OL...I don't care if it's Reuben Brown, Ruben Stoddard, Ruben Gant or Paul Reubens...anybody that can help should be considered, regardless of past history.

i'd take him. he was more solid that half our guards this year

I think he's too old and won't be able to play at a high level any longer. At least not for more than a year. He plays in bnetween 2 very good lineman (Kreutz and Tait) on the Bears. He might not do so well in another environment.

I think he's too old and won't be able to play at a high level any longer. At least not for more than a year. He plays in bnetween 2 very good lineman (Kreutz and Tait) on the Bears. He might not do so well in another environment.

exactly, when ruben came into the league he was playing next to kent hull for his first 2 years. my little sister could play next to kent hull. then followed it up with almost 10 years of OK play. and now hes playing in between 2 great players.

he would be almost completely ineffective on this line. although with peters on the rise and if fowlers can continue playing well, maybe. but thats a biiiiiig maybe

I would look at and consider anybody ANYBODY right now who may have the slightest chance of improving the Bills woeful OL...I don't care if it's Reuben Brown, Ruben Stoddard, Ruben Gant or Paul Reubens...anybody that can help should be considered, regardless of past history.

"Shut up Flanders" -Homer Simpson

seriously though I agree, any guards are currently better than what the Bills have.

BTW did anyone catch Paul Reubens appearance on 30 rock the other night?

Quite funny

exactly, when ruben came into the league he was playing next to kent hull for his first 2 years. my little sister could play next to kent hull. then followed it up with almost 10 years of OK play. and now hes playing in between 2 great players.

he would be almost completely ineffective on this line. although with peters on the rise and if fowlers can continue playing well, maybe. but thats a biiiiiig maybe

Definitely I disagreed with a big percentage of the times Ruben was given the "honor" of Pro Bowl status (I disagreed with it if one takes it be a declaration of flawless or great play, but hey it was a free trip to Hawaii so it certainly wasn't anything to turn down lightly, I think his selection had more to do with some pretty dismal guard play by his competitors which made his election in this fame/popularity contest be a running joke if anything).

However, as silly as his election was the overstatement the other way by you is about of equal silliness.

Besides the selective contradiction of giving all the credit for anything Brown did well while saying he did lots of things poorly that somehow these vets has nothing to do with this and he managed to snooker everyone into giving honors even despite him being ineffective. The view that he has nothing to offer actually ignores what I think was his best years (honors of no honors).

As part of the 2002 team Brown was the only player on the OL who had logged substantial or in fact any playing time at his position. First time LT Jonas Jennings moved to this role after a good rookie year at other positions. He played LG. Trey Teague was the C after coming from LT at Denver. Sullivan came in as a tackle but started at RG and he was next to the rookie Williams.

Brown was clearly the leader of this unit as both the longest serving Bill and the only one not having to concentrate on learning a new position.

Despite these limitations and blocking for a QB known affectionately as the Statue (because of the huge number of sacks he took) but despite all this the O was certainly an effective part of the team which led them to an improvement of the previous years 3-13 record to 8-8,

Not only did they block for Henry gaining a ton of yards on the ground but allowed the oft sacked Bledsoe to gain the Pro Bowl from his perfromance as he an Moulds hit the century mark for receptions leading him to join Henry in the Pro Bowl and feeling Peerless got jobbed from a free trip to Hawaii from his 94 catches.

There were obviously a bunch of things wrong as Teague got bowled over a lot, MW was a rookie on his way to being a bust, Sullivan was well on his way out of the league Jennings was in the beginning of his injury plagued career and a zillion other legitimate faults found of his peers/

Something must have been going eight here amidst all these errors given the measurable achievements in terms of improved W/L and honors received and I think Ruben is one of the very likely answers or do you want to claim that everything they did better or right that year can be attributed to something else (TD or GW perhaps).

Ruben had and has his flaws but anyone rational also to have to also recognize the good things as well.

Ruben fell asleep at the wheel with his family in the car and got into an accident. Since parenting skills are used to evaluate players around here, clearly Ruben is a bad parent and I don't want him. :thumbsup:

At least if Willis falls asleep at the wheel, his kids are at momma's houses.

(BTW, about Rube, I hear he's a good dude and a great family man. The accident occurred while taking his fam on vacation.)

I thought about this in relation to our G situation. I would love to have Reuben back on a reasonable 2-3 year contract. Spend the big bucks on a RG (Diehlman), take a 2nd or 3rd round LG for Brown to show the ropes and away we go.

The thing is, will Reuben be any better (or cheaper) than Gandy? I don't really know the answer to that question (OL gurus please chime in here). Also, if we took a draft pick at LG, Gandy may easily become a backup because he is versatile. Reuben is not.

i see i was quoted, but im not reading all that
I started to read it for you-but my brain began to hurt and had to stop.

Gee I wonder why the the MTV generation is virtually illiterate and American Idol is #1?

Ding! Gotta go......

Gee I wonder why the the MTV generation is virtually illiterate and American Idol is #1?

Ding! Gotta go......

not at all sir. its just that ive read plenty of her posts and have TRIED to read plenty more and theyre all the same.

she starts on one point and types and types until she gets to the opposite point, then types and types until she concludes at another point. she uses complex sentence structure(and sometimes big words) to seem like shes making a well planned, logical post but in reality its just Pretzel Logic. most of her posts could/should be condensed into maybe ONE paragraph based on the content and theyd be WAY MORE effective.

i really didnt want to say all this, but since someone wants to suggest im part of a group of ADHD-esque imbeciles, it needed to be done. sorry.

Ok, lets get a few things out of the way. Yes, he is old. Yes, he held a lot. However, Yes, he played at a high level for the Bears this season. Yes he is a free agent. Yes he still loves Buffalo and holds high regard for those that are here now.

The question is, would you want Ruben back so he could play LG for a season or two while developing a LG for the future? Plus, he could retire a Bill. I know we all wanted to run him out of town when he was here for his play, but in retrospect, the pile of excrement we have had at LG for the last several seasons makes it seem like Ruben really wasn't all that bad for us after all. Just a question to discuss. I'm not sure what my opinion is on it either.

5 Wide, not everybody did. Several folks expressed the idea that they should have had someone on the bench who was good enough to press Brown for playing time before dumping him, whatever warts Brown had.

5 Wide, not everybody did. Several folks expressed the idea that they should have had someone on the bench who was good enough to press Brown for playing time before dumping him, whatever warts Brown had.

no, ill go on record for wanting to run him out of town. especially after him having to stay home for the season closer. obviously in hindsight, that was Gregg's fault. but i was ready to chase him out asap.

By that quick response-it looks like your right there with us! Welcome! :blink:

At least he (Simon) can spell correctly.

I wonder if the collective brainstrust's opinion of Brown is based on actually watching him play over the last two years?

He is WAY better than Gandy, but at some point, I would like the Bills to build the middle of this line with young, talented players. The last time they did so was when they drafted.....Ruben Brown.

I would be happy if they brought him in, unless it meant not selecting an early OG in the draft, or backing away from a player such as Steinbach.