Mort Chat

Rico

Joe, nyc: Hey Mort great stuff is usual, whats going on with willis McGahee? theres a lot of rumblings in buffalo he wants out?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: He does not want out. You know, if he hadn't missed three games with broken ribs against some soft rushing defenses, he probably would have had 1,200-1,300 yards. He has a year left on his contract and he would like to get extended. They would be wise to do it. But I think Ralph Wilson Jr. is having a tough time with the cash outlay on his other free agents like Fletcher, Clements, Kelsay...that's why you sign these guys two years before their contracts expire.

====================================================

Andy (Rochester, NY): Mort, is London Fletcher-Baker worth trying to sign again? I can see him helping out the Bills the next couple years, but he is getting up there in age. Is there any chance the Bills cut Takeo (who hasn't been himself since his achilles injury) to make room for Fletcher?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: I'd sign him. He's like Zach Thomas - shows no signs of slowing down.

Joe, nyc: Hey Mort great stuff is usual, whats going on with willis McGahee? theres a lot of rumblings in buffalo he wants out?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: He does not want out. You know, if he hadn't missed three games with broken ribs against some soft rushing defenses, he probably would have had 1,200-1,300 yards. He has a year left on his contract and he would like to get extended. They would be wise to do it. But I think Ralph Wilson Jr. is having a tough time with the cash outlay on his other free agents like Fletcher, Clements, Kelsay...that's why you sign these guys two years before their contracts expire.

====================================================

Andy (Rochester, NY): Mort, is London Fletcher-Baker worth trying to sign again? I can see him helping out the Bills the next couple years, but he is getting up there in age. Is there any chance the Bills cut Takeo (who hasn't been himself since his achilles injury) to make room for Fletcher?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: I'd sign him. He's like Zach Thomas - shows no signs of slowing down.

Signing them then would have been Donohoe's doing or not. I can understand the new regime wanting to evaluate these guys for a year first, but the cost of doing that is free agancy.

This is crap...and the TD lovefest continues.

I'm not sure this constitutes a TD lovefest as signing them 2 years before their contracts were up would have been TD's job. Of course, I'm not sure Mort realized this before saying it.

I have a hard time believing that Marv and Co. don't want to sign Nate, London and Kelsay, as well as keeping TK and extending Willis. But the fact of the matter is that you really can't live one year at a time...Nate, Kelsay and Willis will want long-term deals (at least five years) and so will London (figure at least three years). TK is under contract (more then one year remaining) of course, but his value ($$$ vs. impact) needs to be evaluated.

My feeling is that Nate will be allowed to walk, and London and Kelsay will be made respectable offers. Whether they want to stay or try for a few extra bucks elsewhere is left to be seen. Willis will have to suck it up and get into camp under his current deal. The Bills will then work with his dickhead agent to get something done by midseason that will extend him for at least five more years. Face it...when he's on his game, he can be a top 10 back. Lastly...TK stays and has a much better year next year.

One thing being missed by some of the Willis haters out there is that, coming off the sub-1000-yard season, WM's stock is lower than it will ever be. Thus, he has little in the way of bargaining power and can be had at a cheaper price (even with his overzealous agent) than would otherwise be the case. Marv missed this opportunity last season, when Nate was coming off a bad year -- and shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

I'm not sure this constitutes a TD lovefest as signing them 2 years before their contracts were up would have been TD's job. Of course, I'm not sure Mort realized this before saying it.

Yeah. I don't think he realized it. I don't give him that much credit.

i wonder if mort even realizes that by snidely saying, 'that's why you sign these guys 2 years before their contract expires', he's actually spitting on his buddy Tom. Forget your timeline there Mort?

What professional injects a comment like that? It's as if he's the one Buffalo let go. It's real simple Mort, your guy TD might have brought in some good players but he couldn't pick a coach to save his life.

i wonder if mort even realizes that by snidely saying, 'that's why you sign these guys 2 years before their contract expires', he's actually spitting on his buddy Tom. Forget your timeline there Mort?

Perhaps not 100% of every thought of his is tied to ballwashing TD. The automatic dainsay of everything Mort says because he is friends with Donohoe is incredibly stupid. Not that Mort is such a great reporter, he's not. He's as accurate as the next guy, which means about 20% of the time. But people here make fools of themselves IMO to just discredit everything he says. If Mort said that Lee Evans is quickly becoming one of the top wideouts in the league would it be solely because he's ballwashing TD?

Perhaps not 100% of every thought of his is tied to ballwashing TD. The automatic dainsay of everything Mort says because he is friends with Donohoe is incredibly stupid. Not that Mort is such a great reporter, he's not. He's as accurate as the next guy, which means about 20% of the time. But people here make fools of themselves IMO to just discredit everything he says. If Mort said that Lee Evans is quickly becoming one of the top wideouts in the league would it be solely because he's ballwashing TD?

Great post.

For the sake of this conversation, it should be noted that TD did extend both MaGee and Schobel. A lot of you guys don't think AS is that good, but with the new CBA, he would be looking at a contract for 50 million dollars or so if he was a UFA this season, or so I think.

And once again, don't be surprised if Fletcher doesn't get the Franchise Tag if they can't come to an agreement? You think Ralph wants to lose a guy he openly has praised? He could simply use the money that he spent on Clements in 06.

Signing Kelsay will be tough. He is a DE who can rush the passer. I really hope we can keep him, but we might have to give him more than we pay Schobel. ;) How do you think that will go over? :blush:

This is going to be one crazy offseason for the Bills, and I am glad to be here talking about it with you fellow fanatics. :beer:

His comments insinuated a Bills error by not signing our guys two years ago. It wouldn’t bother some so much if it wasn’t part of a routine we see week after week from Mort. He injects comments like this for us, while rarely passing similar judgment for other teams. It doesn't make everything he says unreliable, but he's not impartial when discussing the Bills, so what he says regarding our team isn't exactly reliable either. His insights both good and bad, are no more valid then many of the posters on this board.

His insights both good and bad, are no more valid then many of the posters on this board.

There are several posters on this board (some of whom I have met) that know far more about the Bills than any sportswriter that I know of (and believe me, I do NOT include myself).

Some of them I have known for years, and they still shock me in Lot 1/Pole 5 while talking to them. ;)

His comments insinuated a Bills error by not signing our guys two years ago. It wouldn’t bother some so much if it wasn’t part of a routine we see week after week from Mort. He injects comments like this for us, while rarely passing similar judgment for other teams. It doesn't make everything he says unreliable, but he's not impartial when discussing the Bills, so what he says regarding our team isn't exactly reliable either. His insights both good and bad, are no more valid then many of the posters on this board.

But he's exactly right. If we signed Clements or Kelsay or Fletcher two years ago like we signed McGee and Schobel, that wouldn't be a problem. I don't think that he meant it was a mistake not signing all three of those guys, what he was saying was simply an NFL truism, if you wait too long to resign one of your free agents, and they are into their contract years for FA, it's extremely difficult to get them resigned before they hit the open market. It's just a statement of fact. I don't think what he said had anything whatsoever to do with Tom Donohoe, nor do I think that he specifically meant it was a mistake, or it would have been prudent and easy to sign these guys earlier.

How does the all knowing Mort know Buffalo didn't try to re-sign these guys 2 years ago? Two years ago they would have been cheap, and players like McGahee and Clements (and their agents) are smart enough to realize that they possibly (barring injury) could break the bank if they just play out their contract and go with the high bidder.

Oh, and to who ever posted that Donahoe couldn't pick a coach if his life depended on it; didn't he hire Bill Cowher; or did the Rooney's?

P.S. - Mort is a homo.

But he's exactly right. If we signed Clements or Kelsay or Fletcher two years ago like we signed McGee and Schobel, that wouldn't be a problem. I don't think that he meant it was a mistake not signing all three of those guys, what he was saying was simply an NFL truism, if you wait too long to resign one of your free agents, and they are into their contract years for FA, it's extremely difficult to get them resigned before they hit the open market. It's just a statement of fact. I don't think what he said had anything whatsoever to do with Tom Donohoe, nor do I think that he specifically meant it was a mistake, or it would have been prudent and easy to sign these guys earlier.

I'm not disputing the validity of what he's saying. Lots of teams try and follow this strategy and aren't successful in locking up everybody. We've even followed this strategy with players like McGee and Schobel, and probably tried unannounced to us with others. The way I read his comments implied it was some sort of Bills error that led us to these circumstances. That if we dealt with these contracts two years ago we wouldn’t be in this position. It came off like that because of the context he's used in previous chat sessions regarding our team. If it was a general comment regarding the strategy all teams should use then so be it. I just don't find similar league lessons explained when he discusses the rest of the teams. The Bills and our fans have a clear inferiority complex but this is one of the examples where I actually believe a writer has an agenda with us, and it's not a positive one.