Why the Baltimore Game Still Matters

CosmicBills

Almost twenty-four hours removed from the sting of the collapse against the Titans, I have had some time to reflect on the upcoming New Year's Eve game. In the car on the way home from the game I was bummed because, as the talking heads on the radio were saying, "the Baltimore game now doesn't mean much."

After consideration, I say, "bull :D!" This game means a ton for this young Bills squad. Here is a list of reasons why:

1. Learning from a loss: Wisdom says you can learn a lot from a loss -- usually I don't subscribe to that theory. But in this case, I think it's worth noting. This young team just got kicked in the teeth at home by another young and very hot NFL team. With nothing on the line in the grand scheme of things, they now have to go in and play an excellent Baltimore team who most likely will be resting it's key players due to locking up a first round bye. It would be easy for the Bills to walk in expecting Baltimore to roll over, or worse, for the Bills to walk in not caring. We have heard Marv and Dick talk all year about the "Character" of this team. We witnessed that character when they battled back from a 2-5 start. But this game will be more illuminating. With nothing to play for, a bad taste in their mouths, playing an excellent team on the road, this is an opportunity for the Bills to make a statement about their "Character" and the direction of this franchise.

2. Momentum: While I am a firm believer in the power of momentum, I have often wondered how much, if any at all, momentum can be carried from one season into the next. With so much roster turnover, it's hard to argue that much does. And recent Bills' history suggests that none does (9-7 to 5-11 ring a bell?). Still, this team is different. With one of the youngest rosters in the league, the core of this team is young, and more importantly, going to be back in 2007. Heading into the off-season with a two game losing streak would do much to damage their young confidence. However, a win on the road against a playoff bound Raven team could be just the spark. It would leave the sense of "unfinished business" in the minds of these players -- only in a positive light. Losing close games to Indy, New England and (the future Super Bowl Champion) Chargers, then beating the Ravens would prove to themselves that this young Bills team can hang with anyone. And more importantly can BEAT anyone.

3. Nate Clements: Conventional wisdom states that Clements is already picking out apartments on the Upper West Side or out in Chevy Chase. Still, I think the Bills are still very much alive in the "Nate Clements' Sweepstakes". A loss against Baltimore would seriously jeopardize this. Who could blame Nate for thinking, "I've seen this before -- one step forward, two steps back" and moving onto a "playoff team". However, a win against a good team and an 8-8 record might force him to pause. He might then be forced to really look at the situation in Buffalo: A Cover 2 Defense that caters to his skills (read: better opportunity for stats), a young team with not just playoff "potential", but a legit shot to be contenders in the very near future. This last one is most important -- Nate is one of the architects of this young team. He has been here through the bad times and hasn't seen much good. All NFL players are, at their core, competitors. I would have to think that the thought of leaving a team he helped build just when they are beginning to peak, would be tough to do. TKO did it in Cincy, and I would think he would have words for Nate. Despite what TKO says publicly, we all know he has to have some regrets. So a win could give Nate pause and consider more than just the dollars. A loss, to me, would be the final nail in Bills' coffin regarding Nate.

4. Free Agents: A lot has been discussed in previous threads about how Marv and Dick have won a lot of credibility with Free Agents due to their "straight shooting and fair dealings". This is true. With 30 million plus in cap space, the Bills will have the opportunity to woo some names. Almost as valuable (key word: almost) in these upcoming negotiations will be the "direction" the team is heading. A win puts the team at 8-8 and on the rise. A loss, they are sitting at 7-9 and could be written off as being "lucky" perhaps. I'd rather erase any doubts.

Of course there are some who argue that losing to Baltimore would help more than it would hurt because it would (say it with me), "improve their draft position". While this might be true, I think an improved draft slot is less valuable than these other four issues at stake in this game.

So yes, in the context of the 2006 season, this game versus Baltimore is meaningless. No playoff implications for either team are on the line. Yet, in context of the 2007 season and beyond, this upcoming game is paramount.

Just my two cents.

Almost twenty-four hours removed from the sting of the collapse against the Titans, I have had some time to reflect on the upcoming New Year's Eve game. In the car on the way home from the game I was bummed because, as the talking heads on the radio were saying, "the Baltimore game now doesn't mean much."

After consideration, I say, "bull :D!" This game means a ton for this young Bills squad. Here is a list of reasons why:

1. Learning from a loss: Wisdom says you can learn a lot from a loss -- usually I don't subscribe to that theory. But in this case, I think it's worth noting. This young team just got kicked in the teeth at home by another young and very hot NFL team. With nothing on the line in the grand scheme of things, they now have to go in and play an excellent Baltimore team who most likely will be resting it's key players due to locking up a first round bye. It would be easy for the Bills to walk in expecting Baltimore to roll over, or worse, for the Bills to walk in not caring. We have heard Marv and Dick talk all year about the "Character" of this team. We witnessed that character when they battled back from a 2-5 start. But this game will be more illuminating. With nothing to play for, a bad taste in their mouths, playing an excellent team on the road, this is an opportunity for the Bills to make a statement about their "Character" and the direction of this franchise.

2. Momentum: While I am a firm believer in the power of momentum, I have often wondered how much, if any at all, momentum can be carried from one season into the next. With so much roster turnover, it's hard to argue that much does. And recent Bills' history suggests that none does (9-7 to 5-11 ring a bell?). Still, this team is different. With one of the youngest rosters in the league, the core of this team is young, and more importantly, going to be back in 2007. Heading into the off-season with a two game losing streak would do much to damage their young confidence. However, a win on the road against a playoff bound Raven team could be just the spark. It would leave the sense of "unfinished business" in the minds of these players -- only in a positive light. Losing close games to Indy, New England and (the future Super Bowl Champion) Chargers, then beating the Ravens would prove to themselves that this young Bills team can hang with anyone. And more importantly can BEAT anyone.

3. Nate Clements: Conventional wisdom states that Clements is already picking out apartments on the Upper West Side or out in Chevy Chase. Still, I think the Bills are still very much alive in the "Nate Clements' Sweepstakes". A loss against Baltimore would seriously jeopardize this. Who could blame Nate for thinking, "I've seen this before -- one step forward, two steps back" and moving onto a "playoff team". However, a win against a good team and an 8-8 record might force him to pause. He might then be forced to really look at the situation in Buffalo: A Cover 2 Defense that caters to his skills (read: better opportunity for stats), a young team with not just playoff "potential", but a legit shot to be contenders in the very near future. This last one is most important -- Nate is one of the architects of this young team. He has been here through the bad times and hasn't seen much good. All NFL players are, at their core, competitors. I would have to think that the thought of leaving a team he helped build just when they are beginning to peak, would be tough to do. TKO did it in Cincy, and I would think he would have words for Nate. Despite what TKO says publicly, we all know he has to have some regrets. So a win could give Nate pause and consider more than just the dollars. A loss, to me, would be the final nail in Bills' coffin regarding Nate.

4. Free Agents: A lot has been discussed in previous threads about how Marv and Dick have won a lot of credibility with Free Agents due to their "straight shooting and fair dealings". This is true. With 30 million plus in cap space, the Bills will have the opportunity to woo some names. Almost as valuable (key word: almost) in these upcoming negotiations will be the "direction" the team is heading. A win puts the team at 8-8 and on the rise. A loss, they are sitting at 7-9 and could be written off as being "lucky" perhaps. I'd rather erase any doubts.

Of course there are some who argue that losing to Baltimore would help more than it would hurt because it would (say it with me), "improve their draft position". While this might be true, I think an improved draft slot is less valuable than these other four issues at stake in this game.

So yes, in the context of the 2006 season, this game versus Baltimore is meaningless. No playoff implications for either team are on the line. Yet, in context of the 2007 season and beyond, this upcoming game is paramount.

Just my two cents.

877885[/snapback]

Nice post but it won't matter. Bills have very little chance next week. I think Baltimore can beat SD and win it all. Although you state good points and my instincts tell me you are correct, I'll take the improved draft position. It could mean four spots.

Saying all that, I'll still be rooting for them.

Nice post but it won't matter. Bills have very little chance next week. I think Baltimore can beat SD and win it all. Although you state good points and my instincts tell me you are correct, I'll take the improved draft position. It could mean four spots.

Saying all that, I'll still be rooting for them.

877890[/snapback]

Man, if there is one lesson we should have learned it's not to worry about draft position. We have no control whatsoever with regard to who they will draft. I love following the process, but where the pick is doesn't mean they are going to draft one of the players expected to be "best available". There is nothing more discouraging than seeing the team pass on much needed help on the lines in favor of another undersized DB who they could have drafted later. :D

877885[/snapback]

Hate to say it, but I do believe we lost Nate for good at the end of yesterday's debacle. I hope he goes out of the conference & especially out of the division. :D

877885[/snapback]

I, too, call bull :D on this.

Let's look at the list of improvements by losing to get a higher draft pick:

A) Get a guy at #10 who has just as much chance to bust as a guy at #24.

B) Pay $15M more in guaranteed salary-cap-hit money for the privilege.

C) More difficult to sign --> late to camp --> behind the 8-ball --> lose an entire year.

I will continue 'til my dying day describing how this philosophy sucks.

C) More difficult to sign --> late to camp --> behind the 8-ball --> lose an entire year.

877922[/snapback]

And like Badolbilz says, it's not like they'll draft legit line help anyway. Here comes another CB.

1) We will have a good smart draft. Marv and Dick know what they are doing and we should have some faith after this year's success.

2) All things being equal higher is better. You can always trade down, but can generally get better players.

3) All things are not equal. Winning is worth WAY more than a few spots in the draft. Finishing 8-8 with a huge road win against a top team is much better than a loss to set the tone for the off season and next year. I want the team to win because it would help us be a better team in 2007 MORE than picking higher would help us.

4) If we can't pull off the stunner, the silver lining is we could end up with a very good draft position, especially if a few of the other week 17 games go our way.

877922[/snapback]

We wouldn't just be drafted 14 spots higher in Round 1 but 14 spots higher in each Round. As stated many a time a draft about the best collection of players. That said I am not going to be actively rooting for the Bills to lose for the sake of better draft position. All I care is the team improves on it's performance from last week, win or lose.

Not a chance.  Bills agreed not to do that. 

It'll take huge money to keep him as there are always teams will to overspend for good players and even bad players.  Nate being a good one.

878339[/snapback]

Unless it's written into his 1-yr contract, they should do it to get picks for him at the very least.

After consideration, I say, "bull :thumbsup:!" This game means a ton for this young Bills squad. Here is a list of reasons why:

Just my two cents.

877885[/snapback]

you are totally correct here, the bills should play to win a nd make a statement to the rest of the league, watch out bc next year were gonna be one year smarter and one year better. Beating a playoff team on the road hen you have nothing to play for will show alot of character, and from watching this team these past few months that is the one thing this team has had all along

Bills 17 Baltimore 14

Juaron lets Lindell win it

Hate to say it, but I do believe we lost Nate for good at the end of yesterday's debacle. I hope he goes out of the conference & especially out of the division. :thumbsup:

877916[/snapback]

We lost Nate no matter what. They are not going to pay him that much money when they still have a lot to do with this team.

We lost Nate no matter what.  They are not going to pay him that much money when they still have a lot to do with this team.

878514[/snapback]

I wouldn't count on that. I am betting they offer Nate top dollar on par (if not equal or better) than the highest bidder. Contract money won't be the deciding factor. What will come into play is the market he plays in. If Nate goes to DC, New York or Philly, there are more opportunities for endorsement dollars. That is the area that really kills the Bills with high profile Free Agents.

Still, I think Nate will have a much harder time leaving Buffalo (all things being equal) if they win in Baltimore and go out on such a huge upswing.

Expect Marv and Ralph to make a sizeable offer to Nate regardless.

I, too, call bull :doh: on this.

877922[/snapback]

good post the draft is the most overrated event in sports, anyone who thinks a team should intentionally lose a game for a better draft position should be Tarred and Feathered. Obviously Marv and Co. know way more about professional football than anyone on this message board they did a beatiful job drafting a solid core of players last year, Hopefully they can have the same results in the upcoming draft