"The Coach" Dickerson

OnTheRocks

A legitimate threat at tight end, will loosen up coverage on the wide receivers and make Losman's success even greater.

871370[/snapback]

I would still like to see what Kevin Everett can do in this area. He is not the blocker that Royal is, but, coming out of college, he was considered by many, to be a diamond in the rough, and quite possibly a great pass catching TE in the mold of Gates or Shockey.

He was injured his first year, and has barely seen the field this year.

A big physical wide receiver....a guy I really like is Dwayne Bowe out of LSU. His stock is rising but we might be able to get him in the 2nd.

Royal is OK but is he really an upgrade over Mark Campbell? I'd like to see them bring in a Dallas Clark type, a guy who can make catches over the middle. They don't use McGahee in the passing game, so bring in a guy who can be a safety valve.

this is what guys on the radio need to do, they want to say things that make people call in

its the same everywhere else

870684[/snapback]

Remember that guy with the radio show where he said "Yeah, things are pretty good. We should stay the course and keep on chugging. That's all I've got today, please tune in next week." ? No, because it doesn't happen. The primary goal of talk radio is to get people talking and stir the pot to get people calling in, interested, wanting to agree/disagree. I think talk radio is fun entertainment, but rarely informative or particularly intelligent and insightful.

He's never forgiven Levy for showing him the door after his diarrhea-of-the-mouth before the Redskins SB became MessageBoard fodder for the Skins and the Hogettes beat the crap out of his D.

Levy was completely unglued at halftime screaming to the back judge "You've been bought! I say, you've been bought!"

Charming moments like that don't come without consequences for the dog of the house, and Coach Chuckie made himself the curr of the franchise that week.

He may know football, but he's an ass. He should go somewhere else with his hard-on.

You dont have to sacrifice speed because of size in today's NFL. I mean, we are not talking about soccer but the NFL, where there are phenoms who have the size, and the speed to go with it. We are not talking about the 80's where the wideouts had to be small, fast smurfs.

Consequently, I would take Jeremiah Trotter over London Baker any day. Not only is he a bigger, stronger and surer tackler, he is just as fast and plays the pass just as well as Baker.

And in the Bills' defensive line scheme where Tim Anderson and L-Triplett have become nothing more than turn-stiles, for guards and centers to attack our linebackers, size is a premium.

Like I said before, look at two MLB's similar in size to Baker, as in Zach Thomas and Ray Lewis...........Their most successful times have been when they have had beef in the middle which allows them to roam from sideline to sideline.

I cant even count the times that the Bills have been gashed up the middle because the center or guard of the opposing team has simply blown up Fletcher-Baker allowing gaping holes up the middle. You certainly didnt see that when Pat Williams, Ted Washington and Sam Adams patrolled the heart of the line!

Even Ray Lewis' stock dropped when Adams and Siragusa left the Ravens, and the same for Thomas when Bowens and Gardener left. And like I said before. I really give JP credit for succeeding with four wideouts from Lilliput :(:bag:

I think this new, talented, resurging, and yes young, Buffalo Bills football team should be covered in the local media by someone that's not a cranky old coaching regect from Buffalo's past. Is the sports radio talent pool that poor up in Buffalo? Every time I hear Dickerson's name I have visions of OJ Anderson running it up the gut for yet another four or five yards.

Trade DOWN to get Joe Thomas?  I would think Thomas will be one of the first three picks.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to trade that one away under any circumstances.  I think Peters COULD play guard or tight end, but it just where he should be.  I agree with Dickerson that we could use a stud run-stuffer, but I can't imagine we would have to give away any draft picks as we should be able to get one in the first second or possibly third round.  as of this moment, I think ML and DJ are pretty much bulletproof as far as criticism goes.  Why is Coach Dickerson not coaching, while DJ and ML are?

870637[/snapback]

The coach actually said the Bills would need to trade UP to get into the top 3 in order to draft Joe Thomas. I think the original poster was confused.

I used to hate Chuck Dickerson, back in the old days.  Now, I listen to his archived segment on GR, and I think he is pretty smart, if you can see beneath all of the bluster.  He was a pretty highly regarded O-line coach at one time.  I am not saying he is right about Peters (he has looked pretty solid to me), but I think he is more qualified to make those assesments than I am.  He did qualify his comments on Peters by saying that he was "working with" Joe Thomas, or something like that, so I kind of thought maybe he was just trying to plug Joe Thomas, as much as criticize the play of Peters.  He says that Thomas is a vintage Will Wolford type. and would be a perennial all-star tackle. 

And, while Dickerson was critical of the Bills d-line, his harshest criticism was of the Bills linebackers.  He thinks that the Bills should let Fletcher walk (Dickerson says Fletchter is not the player he once was, and is a liabiltiy at times, and will find that other teams likely don't think he is worth the money he may think he is), and that Takeo's best days are behind him as well.  He said he liked Fletcher and Spikes as men, and they were great players, but that the Bills should start thinking about getting younger at their positions.  He would have no problem with either remaining on the team (at the right price in Fletchs' case) but they the Bills might need to take big steps to upgrade. 

Dickerson also was emphetic that the Bills need to re-sign Nate Clements.

871646[/snapback]

Not that anybody cares, but this is the way I see the Bills priorities in the draft/FA. (Not considering who is available where at the time the Bills draft)

OG-a roadgrader-absolutely most important player-to open up holes for Willis. A Reuben Brown-type would be nice.

WR (6'3 or taller) Help open things up for JP in the red zone

DT (fat and stout) you can get this guy low in the draft (see Ted Wash and the undrafted Phat Pat)

RB we need a waterbug who can catch for third downs (something like the guy on the Jets)

MLB (if we don't sign London)

Spikes will be ok...he showing signs of progression every week. He needed another full year to get back to 80-90% of where he was. I think he has done well considering...

CB (not as big of a deal with Youboty around to replace Nate...I think he'll surprise or Marv might find one as a FA rather than wasting a pick).

TE (not so much a necessity if the new WR is a real #2)

Actually Zach Thomas is having a stellar year in the 3-4 defense. Nobody thought he would be able to play without 2 big guys in front of him but I think he leads the league in tackles. 21 according to the stats from the Bills game.

I think in his case he just seems to be one of those guys who just seems to have a nose for the ball because he is far from the most gifted athlete at his posistion. I think some guys can just play no matter what defensive scheme you have.

Fletcher reiminds alot of Thomas in that respect.

I don't listen to him often, but he clearly has an eternal bone to pick with Marv.

This morning on the way in listening to him on WGR he said, Jason Peters is better fit to play Guard or RT....and that the Bills should go out and trade down to get Wisconsin LT Joe Thomas.

Then he went on to say that the Bills Defensive Line isn't stout enough.  I hear him say this all the time.  I understand that they don't have big guys like Ted Washington or Pat Williams....but can't he just accept the fact that he has a different defensive philosophy than this staff?

870589[/snapback]

Chuck Dickerson is a decent guy, but The Coach is nothing more than a cartoon character to get ratings that has no knowledge whatsoever

He also really liked R Gallery of the Raiders when he came out. How's that working out for them? Peters can/will be one of the best (top 10) LTs in the league at a very valuable cap amount. Why would you mess with that? We all know we need a DT. I think we need a RG, DT, LB and then depth. Sign Clements, I think you can sign London for a reasonable cap figure, and keep most of the line the same. Continuity helps a lot with an OL.

He's never forgiven Levy for showing him the door after his diarrhea-of-the-mouth before the Redskins SB became MessageBoard fodder for the Skins and the Hogettes beat the crap out of his D.

Levy was completely unglued at halftime screaming to the back judge "You've been bought! I say, you've been bought!"

Charming moments like that don't come without consequences for the dog of the house, and Coach Chuckie made himself the curr of the franchise that week.

He may know football, but he's an ass. He should go somewhere else with his hard-on.

871710[/snapback]

One would believe that if he did indeed know football that well that he would have been coaching somewhere else in the NFL. He has been doing the same tired radio bit for too many years. He is not at all entertaining or informative, He is a has been. They should change his shows name to "the once upon a time coach".

Bottom line is this: Levy is in the HoF and employed as a GM. Dickerson is nothing.

Bottom line is this: Levy is in the HoF and employed as a GM. Dickerson is nothing.

874233[/snapback]

And that says it all, doesn't it?

Besides, Marv is one classy intellectual guy.

Wilborn from PTI said when asked about the Bills draft earlier this year (when everyone was berating Marv's selections), "It's too early to judge the Bills draft, especially when it's in Marv's hands. I never doubt Marv Levy." (paraphrasing)

Yup. The Bills have had a blessing this year. Facing not too many high-powered offenses, and not too many powerful blitzing teams.

Luck and parity go only so far. To go on, you need to be a big deal within ten yards of the LOS, be it defense or offense. Get into 3rd and 2 on offense, or keep the opposition in 3rd and 7...playoffs.

870902[/snapback]

The Bills have played 8 out of the top 15 and 2 out of the top 5 Offenses in the NFL this year. Indy is 2 and San Diege os 5. We held these teams way down below their average.

The Bills have a pretty darn good defense this year. Period. Not great, but definitely playoff good. If you offense could score a little bit more, we'd be at at least 9 - 5.