"The Coach" Dickerson

OnTheRocks

I don't listen to him often, but he clearly has an eternal bone to pick with Marv.

This morning on the way in listening to him on WGR he said, Jason Peters is better fit to play Guard or RT....and that the Bills should go out and trade down to get Wisconsin LT Joe Thomas.

Then he went on to say that the Bills Defensive Line isn't stout enough. I hear him say this all the time. I understand that they don't have big guys like Ted Washington or Pat Williams....but can't he just accept the fact that he has a different defensive philosophy than this staff?

Trade DOWN to get Joe Thomas? I would think Thomas will be one of the first three picks. I can't imagine anyone wanting to trade that one away under any circumstances. I think Peters COULD play guard or tight end, but it just where he should be. I agree with Dickerson that we could use a stud run-stuffer, but I can't imagine we would have to give away any draft picks as we should be able to get one in the first second or possibly third round. as of this moment, I think ML and DJ are pretty much bulletproof as far as criticism goes. Why is Coach Dickerson not coaching, while DJ and ML are?

Then he went on to say that the Bills Defensive Line isn't stout enough. 

870589[/snapback]

He is right......we still need a guy to clog up the middle....regardless of our defensive scheme, we still need to stop the run

I don't listen to him often, but he clearly has an eternal bone to pick with Marv.

This morning on the way in listening to him on WGR he said, Jason Peters is better fit to play Guard or RT....and that the Bills should go out and trade down to get Wisconsin LT Joe Thomas.

Then he went on to say that the Bills Defensive Line isn't stout enough.  I hear him say this all the time.  I understand that they don't have big guys like Ted Washington or Pat Williams....but can't he just accept the fact that he has a different defensive philosophy than this staff?

870589[/snapback]

I heard him last night and he was speaking positively about Marv's draft and the team in general. I did hear that this morning though and I don't understand what the hell he is looking at. Peters has been nothing short of spectacular at LT since taking over. Coach is on crack with this one.

I do agree to a point about the DL.......they are small, but they play hard cant argue that!

What id love to see is a big DT that can stuff the run and put a speed DT like Tripplett next to him....we do need someone to take on a double team to free up a speed DT with man to man blocking.....make teams run outside where our speed is....

But that Jason Peters comment is idiotic!

I think we need to re-sign Nate Clements, re-sign Fletcher and fill two additional roster spots with a big two gap DT and get a RG who can run block.

That way our secondary is set for 4-5 years, our DL is more stout and our offensive line can knock somebody off the ball consistently in the run game.

So to a point I agree with Chuck but Jason Peters is the Bills LT for years to come.

He is right......we still need a guy to clog up the middle....regardless of our defensive scheme, we still need to stop the run

870653[/snapback]

Right, but he was part of the crew who subjected us to the Jeff Wright Experience at NT was he not?

Dickerson sooooo wants to be Buddy Ryan but soooooo isn't.

870653[/snapback]

Yup. The Bills have had a blessing this year. Facing not too many high-powered offenses, and not too many powerful blitzing teams.

Luck and parity go only so far. To go on, you need to be a big deal within ten yards of the LOS, be it defense or offense. Get into 3rd and 2 on offense, or keep the opposition in 3rd and 7...playoffs.

You can and will get beat by good individual effort, but if you can get in enough favorable down situations throughout the season, you will be in the hunt.

And must have a good punter. Field position means a lot. Mooreman is the MVP of the Bills IMO.

Then he went on to say that the Bills Defensive Line isn't stout enough.  I hear him say this all the time.  I understand that they don't have big guys like Ted Washington or Pat Williams....but can't he just accept the fact that he has a different defensive philosophy than this staff?

870589[/snapback]

Fact is that JP could play a lot of positions offense and defense. If I had a line consisting of JP clones I would whip your choice of clones other than JP. It would also hold true on defense line.

The "Coach" is a pathetic, bitter man. He will never rise above his petulance. I do not listen anymore to him because the refrain is old and tired. Like Louis XVI who was described by his tutor " he never learned anything and never forgot anything"

He is 100% right about the Dline

870589[/snapback]

If the Bills are going to resign London Fletcher then they cannot bring back the same defensive tackles.

For the scheme the Bills are running on defense, you need a bigger middle linebacker like Jeremiah Trotter rather than a small, but quick MLB like Fletcher. Hell, Zach Thomas who is built much like Fletcher has always had Big Bodies in front of him like Tim Bowens, Darryl Gardener or Keith "tractor"Traylor to protect him from being smothered by Guards or Centers.

They also need to resign Clemens, and get a more productive and bigger possession receiver. I am amazed that JP is showing progress despite throwing to four munchkins at wideout.

His windows to throw the ball into are so small cuz he lacks big targets to throw at, and he also needs an upgrade from Royal at tight end, and a scheme that establishes the tight end as a consistent threat in the middle of the field.

A legitimate threat at tight end, will loosen up coverage on the wide receivers and make Losman's success even greater.

870589[/snapback]

He'll stop once everybody stops listening to him.

If the Bills are going to resign London Fletcher then they cannot bring back the same defensive tackles.

For the scheme the Bills are running on defense, you need a bigger middle linebacker like Jeremiah Trotter rather than a small, but quick MLB like Fletcher. Hell, Zach Thomas who is built much like Fletcher has always had Big Bodies in front of him like Tim Bowens, Darryl Gardener or Keith "tractor"Traylor to protect him from being smothered by Guards or Centers.

They also need to resign Clemens, and get a more productive and bigger possession receiver. I am amazed that JP is showing progress despite throwing to four munchkins at wideout.

His windows to throw the ball into are so small cuz he lacks big targets to throw at, and he also needs an upgrade from Royal at tight end, and a scheme that establishes the tight end as a consistent threat in the middle of the field.

A legitimate threat at tight end, will loosen up coverage on the wide receivers and make Losman's success even greater.

871370[/snapback]

Have you really been watching lately?

I assume you are excluding Lee Evans. I agree DL or OL ( I'll let drafters decide that) is a priority. I like London because he is so quick and is excellent in pass defense too. The world is replete with trade offs. Size usually sacrifices speed and so on. I do not know if you would upgrade Middle Backer by offloading LF.

Re: TE I agree but it appears that the relative invisibility of our TE is testament to work of others- oline improved ergo running game must be repected which in turn makes passing possible which in turn.....and so on. This is beginning to look like a team.

Good post. I do think they need a big beefy guy in the middle to play along triplett.

Doesn't look good for clements coming back next season unfortunately :rolleyes:

I assume you are excluding Lee Evans. I agree DL or OL ( I'll let drafters decide that) is a priority. I like London because he is so quick and is excellent in pass defense too. The world is replete with trade offs. Size usually sacrifices speed and so on. I do not know if you would upgrade Middle Backer by offloading LF.

Re: TE I agree but it appears that the relative invisibility of our TE is testament to work of others- oline improved ergo running game must be repected which in turn makes passing possible which in turn.....and so on. This is beginning to look like a team.

871385[/snapback]

870589[/snapback]

I dont normally like the big mouth....but he is absolutely right about the D line.Is that even debatable??

Of course he is wrong about peters--who is quite a talent.

871370[/snapback]

tight end has to block too. Still, 3 td's in 3 games. What former Bill has done better and would qualify as an "upgrade" ?

I love the we need a better "x" comments. Of course a better "x" would be wonderful. Some people aren't happy unless it's a hall of famer, having his best season ever, and his best game of the year. Oh and man of the year personality too.

If you asked marv today if he had replacing royal on his to-do list, I think he would laugh at you.

He'll stop once everybody stops listening to him.

871382[/snapback]

I used to hate Chuck Dickerson, back in the old days. Now, I listen to his archived segment on GR, and I think he is pretty smart, if you can see beneath all of the bluster. He was a pretty highly regarded O-line coach at one time. I am not saying he is right about Peters (he has looked pretty solid to me), but I think he is more qualified to make those assesments than I am. He did qualify his comments on Peters by saying that he was "working with" Joe Thomas, or something like that, so I kind of thought maybe he was just trying to plug Joe Thomas, as much as criticize the play of Peters. He says that Thomas is a vintage Will Wolford type. and would be a perennial all-star tackle.

And, while Dickerson was critical of the Bills d-line, his harshest criticism was of the Bills linebackers. He thinks that the Bills should let Fletcher walk (Dickerson says Fletchter is not the player he once was, and is a liabiltiy at times, and will find that other teams likely don't think he is worth the money he may think he is), and that Takeo's best days are behind him as well. He said he liked Fletcher and Spikes as men, and they were great players, but that the Bills should start thinking about getting younger at their positions. He would have no problem with either remaining on the team (at the right price in Fletchs' case) but they the Bills might need to take big steps to upgrade.

Dickerson also was emphetic that the Bills need to re-sign Nate Clements.