Online Dating Services

C.Biscuit97

I was just talking to a college buddy who recently moved to San Fran. We were just catching up on things and he told me he had a new girlfriend. I asked him how he met her and he said he put an ad on craig's list. After laughing at him for a few minutes and calling him a loser, he explain why he did it. He said you just cut to the chase and don't have to worry about the nonsense with the whole pickup routine.

So, this got me thinking. This is a whole new untapped market. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one, which ones they tried, and what type of experiences they had. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like (+1) 1

I was just talking to a college buddy who recently moved to San Fran.  We were just catching up on things and he told me he had a new girlfriend.  I asked him how he met her and he said he put an ad on craig's list.  After laughing at him for a few minutes and calling him a loser, he explain why he did it.  He said you just cut to the chase and don't have to worry about the nonsense with the whole pickup routine.

So, this got me thinking.  This is a whole new untapped market.  So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one, which ones they tried, and what type of experiences they had.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :)

860090[/snapback]

Tried one. Met a woman. Married her.

I'm questioning the wisdom of that right now, considering that she's interrupted my hockey game to have me shop for !@#$ing window treatments online. But other than that, I'm generally happy with the result. :blink:

I've dated a few women after meeting them online....and Lanak6 and I met on a Catholic singles correspondence website seven years ago - we've been friends ever since.

I think the stigma of online dating that existed a while back is much less of an issue nowadays. Just ask yourself how many really great women you know, and then figure out how many of them are active online. Chances are, all of them! lol

Tried one.  Met a woman.  Married her. 

I'm questioning the wisdom of that right now, considering that she's interrupted my hockey game to have me shop for !@#$ing window treatments online.  But other than that, I'm generally happy with the result.  :blink:

860091[/snapback]

I'm not looking to get married but damn that's a decent ratio. :w00t: Congrats. :)

What site did use if you don't mind sharing? And you don't miss much from the game tonight. :lol:

I've dated a few women after meeting them online....and Lanak6 and I met on a Catholic singles correspondence website seven years ago - we've been friends ever since.

I think the stigma of online dating that existed a while back is much less of an issue nowadays.  Just ask yourself how many really great women you know, and then figure out how many of them are active online. Chances are, all of them! lol

860092[/snapback]

Thanks for sharing. Like I mention before I'm not looking for anything too serious, but I won't mind meeting a nice Catholic girl. How'd those ones turn out for you?

I was just talking to a college buddy who recently moved to San Fran.  We were just catching up on things and he told me he had a new girlfriend.  I asked him how he met her and he said he put an ad on craig's list.  After laughing at him for a few minutes and calling him a loser, he explain why he did it.  He said you just cut to the chase and don't have to worry about the nonsense with the whole pickup routine.

So, this got me thinking.  This is a whole new untapped market.  So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one, which ones they tried, and what type of experiences they had.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :)

860090[/snapback]

I met my wife through one.

860090[/snapback]

We started one here

History

Results

Fill out the profile and I'll set you up with a celebrity. There is no charge on TBD but when I open the real site I will charge boo koo bucks.

Thanks for sharing.  Like I mention before I'm not looking for anything too serious, but I won't mind meeting a nice Catholic girl.  How'd those ones turn out for you?

860096[/snapback]

well, a lot of them can be very stuffy and judgmental, but at the same time there are a lot of really nice girls on there too. It just depends on what sort of girl you want to meet. I'm pretty knowledgable about the faith, but I'm not the best example of a practicing Catholic. There are women on there who won't give you the time of day unless you eat, breathe, and poop the Catholic faith. Not that there's anythign wrong with that...it's just not where I'm at in my life.

If you want a nice, down to earth girl who is attractive and happens to be Catholic, then you might be better off at one of the more mainstream sites. I tried that one that the Dr. what's his name is always on tv about....the "40 points of compatibility" or whatever. I forget the name of the site, but I thought it was pretty interesting. There seemed to be some really interesting women on there. But the two Catholic sites I know of are www.straphael.net and www.avemariasingles.com Both of those should be helpful if you go that route.

I would just be wary of people who seem to be REALLY into the online dating thing. Like MadCap said, just be smart about it. I've gotten to know a few women who just seemed like they were addicted to the idea of meeting someone new....over and over and over again, lol.

But as Tom's experience is indicative of, you can meet someone of quality and someone you're compatible with online just as well as you can in person.

If you decide to look around a bit, you should keep us up to date on how thigns are going! :)

I've done several throughout the past several years on and off, notably the big three, Match, EHarmony, and Yahoo Personals. Met the wife through Match. You'll see the same people on different ones, and some of those people will still be on a year from now. So there's no need to rush into a relationship with the first one you meet.

What site did use if you don't mind sharing?

AmericanBlinds.com. You in the market for window treatments or something?

And you don't miss much from the game tonight.  :blink:

860094[/snapback]

Doesn't look like I did. Could they have turned the puck over any more? Three shots in the first period? :)

I think the stigma of online dating that existed a while back is much less of an issue nowadays.  Just ask yourself how many really great women you know, and then figure out how many of them are active online. Chances are, all of them! lol

860092[/snapback]

Wait!... Aren't you recently divorced (at least a couple of years) ??? I may be wrong or confusing you with another poster???... If that is the case... Sorry...

I smell intrigue (blue parts)... :lol::)

:blink::):w00t:

AmericanBlinds.com.  You in the market for window treatments or something? 

Doesn't look like I did.  Could they have turned the puck over any more?  Three shots in the first period?  :)

860120[/snapback]

God dammit... She's gotten to ya!!!...

:w00t::lol:

I just refuse to call 'em window treatments... I call everything "curtains" or "blinds"...

Don't worry, I am still more kitty whipped than you... You did just leave the lights on the coach... While I actually regressed with them to the tree...

:blink:

God dammit... She's gotten to ya!!!...

:w00t:  :lol:

I just refuse to call 'em window treatments... I call everything "curtains" or "blinds"...

Don't worry, I am still more kitty whipped than you... You did just leave the lights on the coach... While I actually regressed with them to the tree...

:)

860125[/snapback]

I called them curtains until about three hours ago, when I discovered it's much easier to shop for them online when you search for "window treatments". If it weren't for the intertubes, I'd still call them "curtains"...so it's Al Gore's fault... :blink:

I called them curtains until about three hours ago, when I discovered it's much easier to shop for them online when you search for "window treatments".  If it weren't for the intertubes, I'd still call them "curtains"...so it's Al Gore's fault...  :w00t:

860138[/snapback]

:):blink:

I really piss my wife off because I call sweatshirts "sweaters"... :lol: Heck, everything you pull over your head is a "sweater." :)

I've done several throughout the past several years on and off, notably the big three, Match, EHarmony, and Yahoo Personals. Met the wife through Match. You'll see the same people on different ones, and some of those people will still be on a year from now. So there's no need to rush into a relationship with the first one you meet.

860115[/snapback]

I noticed that too. I'd see the same guys on like three different sites. I couldn't get away from them! :lol: I even ran into my tennis instructor at one point. :w00t: I have a co-worker that found her current husband through an online service. Heck, even my 60-some yr old aunt was able to find someone again after my uncle died a few yrs ago. I tried a few over the years. Match, Matchmaker (where I met AJ), Catholic Singles, Catholic Match (I think), Eharmony (wasn't too impressed with this one). There are some decent and no so decent people on these sites. Most of them ended up just wanting to correspond over email. :blink: I gave up looking locally when I found that there are nothing but weirdos living in Oregon. :):)

Wait!... Aren't you recently divorced (at least a couple of years)  ???  I may be wrong or confusing you with another poster???... If that is the case... Sorry...

I smell intrigue (blue parts)... :P  :P

:lol::)  :)

860121[/snapback]

Yep, divorced in 2004 :blink: Lana and I are just friends....have been for the whole seven years :w00t:

She had nothing to do with the divorce, if thats' what you were wondering, lol

I gave up looking locally when I found that there are nothing but weirdos living in Oregon.

So true. I get quite a few "winks" from men in Northern Calif, Oregon and southern Washington. What's up with that? Is there a shortage of available women up there?

I've been on a couple of sites over the past few years. Dated a few. Met some nice guys. Made some good friends. But haven't found that energetic, flexible, positive thinking, Bills fan that I'm seeking.

I've encountered a lot of married men and liars. Kinda' like the local singles bars on Friday night.

I prefer the privacy thing of an online service so you can research someone's personality and values before you waste time meeting and dating them.

So true.  I get quite a few "winks" from men in Northern Calif, Oregon and southern Washington.  What's up with that? Is there a shortage of available women up there?

I've been on a couple of sites over the past few years.  Dated a few. Met some nice guys. Made some good friends. But haven't found that energetic, flexible, positive thinking, Bills fan that I'm seeking. 

I've encountered a lot of married men and liars. Kinda' like the local singles bars on Friday night.

I prefer the privacy thing of an online service so you can research someone's personality and values before you waste time meeting and dating them.

860390[/snapback]

:wallbash:

I dabbled in online dating before meeting my wife and I thought it was a little superficial(well, duh). I met a couple of women and went on dates but if you are not stereotypically good looking, look elsewhere.

I dabbled in online dating before meeting my wife and I thought it was a little superficial(well, duh).  I met a couple of women and went on dates but if you are not stereotypically good looking, look elsewhere.

860395[/snapback]

Yes, it's a little superficial...as are most methods of meeting the opposite sex, when you think about it.

I'd say the club scene is even more superficial, myself.

Yes, it's a little superficial...as are most methods of meeting the opposite sex, when you think about it.

I'd say the club scene is even more superficial, myself.

860405[/snapback]

Yeah, I preferred the "putting the bag over my head and just grope everyone with a female voice approach". :wallbash:

I hooked up a couple of months ago on MySpace, the girl was actually married and her husband had split on her. After being with her a few times I could tell why. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. :wallbash:

So true.  I get quite a few "winks" from men in Northern Calif, Oregon and southern Washington.  What's up with that? Is there a shortage of available women up there?

I've been on a couple of sites over the past few years.  Dated a few. Met some nice guys. Made some good friends. But haven't found that energetic, flexible, positive thinking, Bills fan that I'm seeking. 

860390[/snapback]

I was chatting with this guy from CA a few years ago. I had no idea about his fiance until about a year later when he told me that she had died from complications from a car accident. :wallbash:

I had no idea about his fiance until about a year later when he told me that she had died from complications from a car accident. 

I hear ya'. Some will say they're widowers. When in fact their wife is actually dead asleep in the next room. :wallbash:

Then there are those who say they're "separated" . What that really means is that they have been sleeping on the couch for a couple of years.

I actually find it quite entertaining.

Someone with enough time should start a "glossary of terms" for dating sites. e.g. "active" means that they get up during commercials to make a samwich. :w00t:

I hear ya'.  Some will say they're widowers.  When in fact their wife is actually dead asleep in the next room:wallbash:

Then there are those who say they're "separated" .  What that really means is that they have been sleeping on the couch for a couple of years.

I actually find it quite entertaining. 

Someone with enough time should start a "glossary of terms" for dating sites. e.g. "active" means that they get up during commercials to make a samwich.  :doh:

860452[/snapback]

I got the feeling that this guy's finace is alive and well. For a couple weeks after the "accident" he was going on and on about how sad he was etc, etc. Then suddenly I don't hear from him again. :w00t:

I like the "glossary of terms" idea! We could probably come up with a big list of them. :censored:

I like the "glossary of terms" idea!  We could probably come up with a big list of them.  :wallbash:

860462[/snapback]

Athletic............................Watches Sports 24/7

Romantic..........................Horny 24/7

Driven..............................Lost license with DWI

Financially Secure..............Living with Parents

Athletic Build.....................Fat,paunchy former little league baseball player

Social Drinker...................Lush

My friend's Dad who is separated was taken to the cleaners by a "woman" from Ghana. He was wiring the woman $200 at a time until my friend found out and put a stop to it. To someone who is internet savvy, it is pretty obvious who the fakes are. This "woman" sent a picture of herself that was clearly taken from a JCPenney's catalog or something. But these dating site scammers really know how to pick the desperate people.

I personally never have had a need for online dating, but if I were to start I would only use it as a means to meet people. I wouldn't have a prolonged pen-pal-esque correspondence with someone I've never met in person.

I met my wife online, and think this approach to dating makes a lot of sense. I knew all about her, and gave it her a chance to get to know me before we ever met her for the first time.

I used webpersonals.com, which now redirects to lavalife.com.

She was the second person I dated from the site, though I had another 2-3 dates lined up if didn't hit it off.

My first date was with a crazy Canadian girl with died hair, who just wanted a companion (tho she posted in the Romance, not Friends, section), who insited on going to see the movie Hannibal and talking about death on our (only) date.

So, I think there's an up and a down side to web-dating. But, you can meet a lot of people very quickly without the awkward getting-to-know-you and time you spend trying to figure out if someone is even available.

Yep, divorced in 2004 :censored:  Lana and I are just friends....have been for the whole seven years :wallbash: 

She had nothing to do with the divorce, if thats' what you were wondering, lol

860172[/snapback]

:doh:

I was just kidding... Not trying to pry or be nosey... :censored:

It was brazen for me to ask... :wallbash::w00t:

After I posted it... I said WTF... Thanks for being cool about it...

:censored:

I was just kidding... Not trying to pry or be nosey... :censored:

It was brazen for me to ask... :wallbash:  :w00t:

After I posted it... I said WTF... Thanks for being cool about it...

860761[/snapback]

lol, not a problem....the fact that my "marriage" only lasted a couple years was a good thing, believe me! I don't wish divorce on anyone, but if you can get yourself out of a situation where you're with someone who is nothing more than a selfish, destructive force, then it's better to do it sooner rather than later!

If I were older than I am (Im 34), I'd probably be very bitter that someone was okay with the idea of allowing me to dedicate myself and my life to her and her children, when in turn she was only in it for herself. This way I'm only a 'little' bitter :doh:

But haven't found that energetic, flexible, positive thinking, Bills fan that I'm seeking.

860390[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that Aussie <_< ... The cool guys like me are usually "taken." :doh::censored::wallbash:

Did I just say that?... :censored::censored:

Yet... You do set the bar mighty, MIGHTY high with the Bills qualifier! That "pool" has got to be pretty small?

Did I just say that?... :wallbash::w00t:

When I read this thread, I couldn't help but think of the Movie Arther (sp). When Dudley Moore says to Liza Minelli, "One would have to meet someone of your stature at a bowling alley". Times change, I suppose. :wallbash:

Sorry, had to say it. Good luck to all you right handers out there. :w00t:

When I read this thread, I couldn't help but think of the Movie Arther (sp). When Dudley Moore says to Liza Minelli, "One would have to meet someone of your stature at a bowling alley". Times change, I suppose. :wallbash:

Sorry, had to say it. Good luck to all you right handers out there. :w00t:

860768[/snapback]

lol, nice!

Sorry to hear that Aussie <_< ... The cool guys like me are usually "taken." :doh:  :censored:  ;)

Did I just say that?... :censored:  :censored:

Yet... You do set the bar mighty, MIGHTY high with the Bills qualifier!  That "pool" has got to be pretty small?

Did I just say that?...  :wallbash:  :w00t:

860764[/snapback]

Ain't that the truth. :wallbash: