Talk about hypocricy

Just stay the heck away from my SUV leaving the lot after the game! I have a 7 hour drive back home after the Miami game and my wife and I will not be happy campers at work Monday morning. I don't fault the NFL or the Bills and still will make the trip, but the late change is damn inconvenient and had I known, I would've chosen a different game. We, unfortunately, are not in a position to call in sick. It doesn't work that way in our professions. I just hope the weather is okay for a long night's drive back to Indiana.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JI don't fault the NFL or the Bills and still will make the trip, but the late change is damn inconvenient and had I known, I would've chosen a different game. 

858545[/snapback]

You could have by picking a game in the 1st 9 weeks of the season. The flex-schedule starts only from the 10th week.

Get over it.  It's always been about the money.  You have no God given right to watch a game on TV.  The blackout rule makes perfect sense from a business standpoint and football is a business.  You think you should be able to watch a concert from the HSBC arena from your family room on the tube without buying a ticket to the show?  Football is no different. 

So many people on this board worry about the Bills moving and then complain about the blackout rule.  Well you can't have it both ways.  Teams that aren't supported financially won't stay in their locations very long.  The teams pay over $100 million a year in salaries to players not including all of the other operating expenses.  The teams have to make money or they won't survive.  Ticket revenue is an important part of their income.  Many of the owners league-wide have huge investments in their teams.  Don't be critical that they make a profit or that they work to maximize it.  This is a capitalist society.  Find a way to take advantage of that.

858484[/snapback]

Maybe you missed it, but Jay's real problem isn't with the blackout rule -- he has season tix. I won't argue against the blackout rules either, since the last time I missed a blacked-out home game was... 1996? 97? The issue is this: by moving games at the last minute, the NFL is messing with the people who actually DO buy the tickets. It makes sense from their point of view, but that doesn't help those of us scrambling to rebook flights or find hotel rooms for Sunday night, burn extra vacation time, or cancel their plans completely because of the late time-shift.

I'm working midnights next week; with a minimum two-hour drive after the game, I'd be lucky to make it home before my shift starts. So moving this game costs me an extra day's pay, and I was lucky they even gave me the day off, as late as it was. Changing flights will probably cost GG even more than that. At what point do we (season-ticket holders living outside the blackout area) simply say "#&^! it", stay home, and buy the Sunday Ticket instead?

If it were up to me, I wouldnt have this flex thing either, and I don't have the problem you do, but I believe a lot of fans do. My post is really two fold: 1] This isn't really the NFL, and the blame here should go to the TV networks not the NFL. BUT, 2] we are 99% Bills fans here, and 99% of us never ever want the Bills to move out of Buffalo. I am not exaggerating when i say that the only reason the Bills can afford to stay in Buffalo is because of the TV contracts. And so, I think fans should take that into consideration when badmouthing the NFL and the TV networks. If it's a little inconvenience a couple games, maybe it's worth it to suffer a little but the Bills get to stay in Buffalo.

858511[/snapback]

you are 100% right that we(buffalo) needs the tv contract money more so than most teams. i guess i view it is a catch-22 - we need the tv money, but if people can't make it to the games (b/c the team draws from such a large region) and attendance drops b/c of things like the flex-schedule and/or the NFL's strong desire to try and set up games with a high-probability of adverse weather than we might not be able to maintain a team in Buffalo :doh:

i'm not a pessimistic/doomsday person but this sort of thing does not affect the larger markets b/c if regular fans don't want to go b/c of a schedule change, there is always someone else waiting in line; we don't have that luxury in the Buffalo market

I think the time switch of this game will definitely make it impossible to sell this game out now. Although losing to the Chargers probably will hurt sales for the last two games as well because our playoff hopes are not even minute now. I just find it ironic that there's been all this talk of moving a team to L.A., Ralph is complaining about revenue sharing, and then the NFL goes and gives the Bills four home games after Thanksgiving which I dont think has ever happened before. Obviously it's going to be incredibly difficult for a small market team with some of the worst weather to sell out the second half of the season during a year where our playoff potential was minimal at best in the beginning. Now the time change to make it even MORE difficult to sell this game out. From what I've read the Bills don't generally like primetime games (Sunday or Monday Night), or even late afternoon games because so many fans do come from so far away. Hence regional team. Seems like the Bills had a lot stacked against them this year as far as maximizing profits. Although I suppose the solution to this is put a winning team on the field and it'd be significantly easier to sell out games no matter when they were. Hopefully Marv can accomplish that.

Maybe you missed it, but Jay's real problem isn't with the blackout rule -- he has season tix. I won't argue against the blackout rules either, since the last time I missed a blacked-out home game was... 1996? 97? The issue is this: by moving games at the last minute, the NFL is messing with the people who actually DO buy the tickets. It makes sense from their point of view, but that doesn't help those of us scrambling to rebook flights or find hotel rooms for Sunday night, burn extra vacation time, or cancel their plans completely because of the late time-shift.

I'm working midnights next week; with a minimum two-hour drive after the game, I'd be lucky to make it home before my shift starts. So moving this game costs me an extra day's pay, and I was lucky they even gave me the day off, as late as it was. Changing flights will probably cost GG even more than that. At what point do we (season-ticket holders living outside the blackout area) simply say "#&^! it", stay home, and buy the Sunday Ticket instead?

858632[/snapback]

Well put. But it's also them on one hand saying 'the blackout rule is in place to protect ticket sales' and then sacrificing ticket sales to maximze TV viewership. I'm pretty sure the game is less likely to sell out now than it was before. And in the end it's the people who already have tickets who are most inconvenienced.

I think the time switch of this game will definitely make it impossible to sell this game out now.  Although losing to the Chargers probably will hurt sales for the last two games as well because our playoff hopes are not even minute now.  I just find it ironic that there's been all this talk of moving a team to L.A., Ralph is complaining about revenue sharing, and then the NFL goes and gives the Bills four home games after Thanksgiving which I dont think has ever happened before.  Obviously it's going to be incredibly difficult for a small market team with some of the worst weather to sell out the second half of the season during a year where our playoff potential was minimal at best in the beginning. Now the time change to make it even MORE difficult to sell this game out.  From what I've read the Bills don't generally like primetime games (Sunday or Monday Night), or even late afternoon games because so many fans do come from so far away. Hence regional team.  Seems like the Bills had a lot stacked against them this year as far as maximizing profits.  Although I suppose the solution to this is put a winning team on the field and it'd be significantly easier to sell out games no matter when they were.  Hopefully Marv can accomplish that.

858813[/snapback]

Good points. But I'd add that having 4 of the last 6 games at home is a desirable thing if a team still has playoff hopes.

Well put.  But it's also them on one hand saying 'the blackout rule is in place to protect ticket sales' and then sacrificing ticket sales to maximze TV viewership.  I'm pretty sure the game is less likely to sell out now than it was before.  And in the end it's the people who already have tickets who are most inconvenienced.

858818[/snapback]

I sent a email to the commish, and he responded thusly:

You don't matter <CLAP><CLAP><CLAP><CLAP><CLAP>

It really does suck, and is being done for ratings ($$$) alone. fugidabout the fan who shells out his dough to actually see the game is skrewed.

We planned on going to this game and I was going to get tix Monday, but I decided to wait to see if the game was going to be moved....

With the change and driving back to Utica and having to work on Monday makes it a pain in the ass and seeing that the playoffs are not going to be on the line...its not really worth the trip...the ride home from the charges game wa terrible with the accidents on the thruway...i don't feel like dealing with that at 9 pm....besids had they changed it early, dawn, my GF, could have gotten Monday off and we would have stayed at my Uncle's in Roch...its too late for her to get the day off now

For Xmas my gf is getting us season tix seeing we go to 3-4 games a year; its nicer to have our own seats, but this flex schedule thing sux...at any moment they can really screw with the fans plans...for late games if you have enough notice, such as when the schedule is released, you can get the day after off and account for the time missed, but at the last minute like this? Look at what poor Lori has to go through...

:)

Besides I thought the purpose was so that those on TV can see meaningful games late in the season...like the Browns & Steelers this Thursday night...

:)

Thou must NEVER speak bad of the great NFL (Sarcasm Off)

NFL and the fans  :)

How the NFL views what really fuels their league:

Beer  :)

Square Gamblers  ;)

Fantasy Football Owners  :worthy:

More betting  :worthy:

858391[/snapback]

Strip all that away and your left with a pretty average product. Slow, oversaturated with commericals. Spoiled atheletes that are not very likeable, for the most part.

Yep, moving this game means I won't be coming down from Toronto now. It also means these are the last tickets I ever buy for the Bills.

I am sick of this crap.  :)

858889[/snapback]

Why dont next year you just buy tickets before the flex schedule kicks in? Think people, think.

I just find it ironic that there's been all this talk of moving a team to L.A., Ralph is complaining about revenue sharing, and then the NFL goes and gives the Bills four home games after Thanksgiving which I don't think has ever happened before. 
If by ironic you mean the nfl is saying stfu Ralph.

Obviously it's going to be incredibly difficult for a small market team with some of the worst weather to sell out the second half of the season during a year where our playoff potential was minimal at best in the beginning. Now the time change to make it even MORE difficult to sell this game out.  From what I've read the Bills don't generally like primetime games (Sunday or Monday Night), or even late afternoon games because so many fans do come from so far away. Hence regional team.  Seems like the Bills had a lot stacked against them this year as far as maximizing profits.  Although I suppose the solution to this is put a winning team on the field and it'd be significantly easier to sell out games no matter when they were.  Hopefully Marv can accomplish that.

858813[/snapback]

Winning never hurt but don't count on a good record trumping the weather. I remember buying all the non-nosebleed extra playoff tickets I could when I first got season tixs and eating them when $15 was the best offer out there on game day.

Why dont next year you just buy tickets before the flex schedule kicks in?  Think people, think.

858979[/snapback]

I said this in another thread but I will repeat it: I am an out-of-area season ticket holder and can make it to about 3-4 games a year. I donate, sell, or give away the others. I already made flight arrangements for the Miami game that I cannot change. I will be able to see about 3/4s of the game. Next year I may not renew my season tix due to this.

Is flex scheduling going to help franchises like Buffalo who are trying to regionalize and obtain season ticket holders from nearby areas? This really screws up my plans but, as demonstrated from above replies, also messes up other ticket holders who are commuting. IMO, flex scheduling is yet another reason for remote and commuting fans to reconsider season ticket purchase or renewal. In the big picture, a detriment to these type of franchises.

The Flex Schedule is starting to look like a ratings grab. Looks like in a few weeks we will get Cowboys and Eagles (yeah, the Eagles AGAIN) on Sunday Night. And how many times have the Cowboys been on primetime TV this year? The Raiders have even been on at night twice. No one can tell me at the start of the season the NFL thought the Raiders would be a better team than the Bills.. It be nice if the NFL didn't always give into the big markets. I agree the Flex should go for Monday Night as well. I guess I would like to also see some more AFC- AFC games on Sunday Night Not just a Romo love fest. Sorry for the rant.

858410[/snapback]

It won't happen for Monday nights and here's why.

As much of a hassle as it is for a switch to Sunday nights, it would be a hell of a lot bigger problem to move one to Monday night. People from out of town will frequently stay in the host city the night before and the night after, unless they're in driving distance...so a switch to SNF isn't deemed to be that big a change, usually (although personally, I can work the day after a 1pm start...but a later start, especially a SNF game, I need to take Monday off..I schedule vacation days following every home game, though...especially those that could be affected by flex scheduling)

For a Monday game, people would have to get a hotel room for an extra night (and within 12 days of the switch date, rooms could be harder to come by) as well as take 2 days off of work.

Just stay the heck away from my SUV leaving the lot after the game!  I have a 7 hour drive back home after the Miami game and my wife and I will not be happy campers at work Monday morning.  I don't fault the NFL or the Bills and still will make the trip, but the late change is damn inconvenient and had I known, I would've chosen a different game.  We, unfortunately, are not in a position to call in sick.  It doesn't work that way in our professions.  I just hope the weather is okay for a long night's drive back to Indiana.

858545[/snapback]

Yea, but you get an extra hour with the time zone change from NY to IN.