This Team

Casey D

Jerry Sullivan's article today is right on the money. The Bills are 5-7. going 3-2 since the break with close losses to the two best teams in football. Of the 7 losses thus far, 5 have come from teams with 9 or more wins and one with 7(Jets). The only bad loss was against Detroit.

So Levy/Jauron are on track in turning things around. Losman is making progress, the O-line is better though only average(which is better than well below average as it has been for years) and the D-line still needs a stud tackle. But the team is young, and these needs and some other lesser ones manageably can be addressed in the off-season.

If the Bills can win 2 of the final 4, they would go 7-9. Given a year with the new regime under our belts, a solid off-season acquisition-wise, and a little luck, 10 wins next year might be doable. That would be an excellent turnaround after 5 years of gross mismanagement. I at last have some hope for the future--a precious commodity indeed as a Bills fan...CD

Jerry Sullivan's article today is right on the money.  The Bills are 5-7. going 3-2 since the break with close losses to the two best teams in football.  Of the 7 losses thus far, 5 have come from teams with 9 or more wins and one with 7(Jets).  The only bad loss was against Detroit.

So Levy/Jauron are on track in turning things around.  Losman is making progress, the O-line is better though only average(which is better than well below average as it has been for years) and the D-line still needs a stud tackle.  But the team is young, and these needs and some other lesser ones manageably can be addressed in the off-season.

If the Bills can win 2 of the final 4, they would go 7-9.  Given a year with the new regime under our belts, a solid off-season acquisition-wise, and a little luck, 10 wins next year might be doable.  That would be an excellent turnaround after 5 years of gross mismanagement.  I at last have some hope for the future--a precious commodity indeed as a Bills fan...CD

856707[/snapback]

Dude, they're not winning 10 next year.

Two years from now they win 10. Next year they get 8.

I agree. I had hoped for 8-8 this year, saying that would be a successful season. 7-9 is more what I expected, and that is pretty much a non-disappointing season. 5-11 or 6-10 might leave a bit more of a bitter taste, although it would help our draft position.

Before the season most of us would agree that we were a below average team. I think now we are average, or slightly above average. That is progress. We have beat teams we were supposed to, and capable of beating the elite teams with a perfect performance. We have not done that yet, but are making progress. If I knew how the chargers, bears and ravens were going to do this year i would have guessed 5-6 wins, SO REALISTICALLY WE ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHERE WE SOULD BE. I wanted to see the following things from this team this year:

1. Heart----The players believe in each other, and all phases have stepped up at times to win us a few games we easily could have lost. Some of our losses could have gone either way. We play HARD now, which I have not seen in several years, and when we get more talent this will put us over the hump of mediocrity. Right now heart is making up for a serious lack of dominant players---as in NONE

2. Coaching---For the first time in a while we make 1/2time adjustments. Need to work on game/time management, but we are limited by overall inexperience and lack of a dominant player we can depend on. It is hard to call an aggressive plan when we don't have the horses to do it. I think the staff is handling the team well, and bringing them along slowly in a fashion that will pay off in the next few years.

3. Lines----some improvement made, we need much more. Our focus needs to be to continue to bolster the lines so we can impart our will on other teams. I put the oline slightly ahead of the D in this area at this point. We can NOT run and stop the run, and until we do, we will not win more than 8 games in a season. Hargrove looks to be a solid addition if only for his enthusiasm, and the shifts in the oline will continue to improve for the rest of the year as they play together.

4. QB----I wanted to see if JP would start leading this team. He has, but he needs more help. Imagine how things would be if he had talent like LT and Gates to throw to? He is a likeable guy, and seems to have a grasp of what he is doing now. I see a much more confident player and leader on the field now, and he says the right things. It is clear that with more help, he can be our QB. The last few weeks with him moving around in the pocket he is MUCH better, as are his decisions and reads.

5. Rookies---Really doing well overall. Whitner dissapoints a little. I was hoping he'd be the next Dawkins, Ed Reed, or Bob Sanders. He needs to be more physical and maybe he will be. Mcargo we'll see. Probably could have done better with our 2 picks we traded instead of him I think. Good production overall from the lower rounds---they carry this draft year at this point. With so many rooks esp. on D you had to know there would be problems. Overall the safeties are good and in time possibly great.

Dissapointments:

1. RB---I don't know about willis. He is too variable. With better blocking I think he could be a dominant back, but right now with our line, he is not fast enough to get away, or determined enoguh to bull through the hordes of defenders waiting to tackle him in the hole. I would love to see him split time with a back like Washington (Rook from FSU on the jets, jones-drew, or Norwood on the falcons) These guys can run without much of a hole and create plays. In a perfect world we could have a big north/south back like Jacobs----but they need holes to run through, and we don't have those yet. I'll wait and see after the oline gets better.

2. TE---I hoped for alot more from these guys. We need to get a dominant TE. Our offense would be so much better with gates, whitten etc

3. WR---average--need a big one.

Overall---I am satisfied with this season. If we play well and win against the fins/jets This season will have been a success in my eyes, and I will be very excited about next year.

Team goals----

Keep clements, fletcher, and TKO---they are this team, our chemistry and heart will be diminished without them.

Free agents---??unless you go for the big ones these are mostly 2nd tier players looking for 1st tier contracts. Look how Bentley worked out for the browns....I wouldn't go oline but go big if you do, all these 2 rate guys (except fowler) have not improved our line over the past 10 years. Draft is likely better for oline. D line you can do well here, maybe a few backups and depth can be added, possibly a tall WR

DT, OL in the early rounds. Big nasty ones. preferably from the SEC---they seem to know how to play right out of the draft. The OL is slightly less glaring of a need now than 4 weeks ago, but we are 1 injury away from being in tough shape.

TE--wishful thinking but a gamebreaker would really help JP and the O

RB--I would love a 3rd down shifty type back----but what we really need is SOMEONE WHO CAN PICK UP A FREAKING YARD ON 3RD AND 1.

LB--insurance for TKO

Enjoy the rest of the season, you'll be happier if you don't expect seasoned play from an up and coming team. Give us a few years, and we'll be in the playoffs making some noise again.

Team goals----

Keep clements, fletcher, and TKO---they are this team, our chemistry and heart will be diminished without them.

Free agents---??unless you go for the big ones these are mostly 2nd tier players looking for 1st tier contracts. Look how Bentley worked out for the browns....I wouldn't go oline but go big if you do, all these 2 rate guys (except fowler) have not improved our line over the past 10 years.

856836[/snapback]

Bentley is the wrong comparison....Bentley was a 1st tier FA signing by the browns. Unfortunately he was on IR after the 1st snap in training. That could happen to any

team. The biggest FA bust has to be Daunte Culpeper. He really killed the Dolphins

playoff hopes with horrible play in the 1st 6 weeks of the season.

Jerry Sullivan's article today is right on the money.  The Bills are 5-7. going 3-2 since the break with close losses to the two best teams in football.  Of the 7 losses thus far, 5 have come from teams with 9 or more wins and one with 7(Jets).  The only bad loss was against Detroit.

So Levy/Jauron are on track in turning things around.  Losman is making progress, the O-line is better though only average(which is better than well below average as it has been for years) and the D-line still needs a stud tackle.  But the team is young, and these needs and some other lesser ones manageably can be addressed in the off-season.

If the Bills can win 2 of the final 4, they would go 7-9.  Given a year with the new regime under our belts, a solid off-season acquisition-wise, and a little luck, 10 wins next year might be doable.  That would be an excellent turnaround after 5 years of gross mismanagement.  I at last have some hope for the future--a precious commodity indeed as a Bills fan...CD

856707[/snapback]

Yeah!!!!

And then within a year or two, we're a superbowl contender and after that, a team devestated by FA losses, so now we're back to 7-9, and then just one more year, back to 3-13, and Jauron will be fired and a new regime all over again. Man, this sucks.

Before the season most of us would agree that we were a below average team. I think now we are average, or slightly above average. That is progress. We have beat teams we were supposed to, and capable of beating the elite teams with a perfect performance. We have not done that yet, but are making progress. If I knew how the chargers, bears and ravens were going to do this year i would have guessed 5-6 wins, SO REALISTICALLY WE ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHERE WE SOULD BE. I wanted to see the following things from this team this year:

1. Heart----The players believe in each other, and all phases have stepped up at times to win us a few games we easily could have lost. Some of our losses could have gone either way. We play HARD now, which I have not seen in several years, and when we get more talent this will put us over the hump of mediocrity. Right now heart is making up for a serious lack of dominant players---as in NONE

2. Coaching---For the first time in a while we make 1/2time adjustments. Need to work on game/time management, but we are limited by overall inexperience and lack of a dominant player we can depend on. It is hard to call an aggressive plan when we don't have the horses to do it. I think the staff is handling the team well, and bringing them along slowly in a fashion that will pay off in the next few years.

3. Lines----some improvement made, we need much more. Our focus needs to be to continue to bolster the lines so we can impart our will on other teams. I put the oline slightly ahead of the D in this area at this point. We can NOT run and stop the run, and until we do, we will not win more than 8 games in a season. Hargrove looks to be a solid addition if only for his enthusiasm, and the shifts in the oline will continue to improve for the rest of the year as they play together.

4. QB----I wanted to see if JP would start leading this team. He has, but he needs more help. Imagine how things would be if he had talent like LT and Gates to throw to? He is a likeable guy, and seems to have a grasp of what he is doing now. I see a much more confident player and leader on the field now, and he says the right things. It is clear that with more help, he can be our QB. The last few weeks with him moving around in the pocket he is MUCH better, as are his decisions and reads.

5. Rookies---Really doing well overall. Whitner dissapoints a little. I was hoping he'd be the next Dawkins, Ed Reed, or Bob Sanders. He needs to be more physical and maybe he will be. Mcargo we'll see. Probably could have done better with our 2 picks we traded instead of him I think. Good production overall from the lower rounds---they carry this draft year at this point. With so many rooks esp. on D you had to know there would be problems. Overall the safeties are good and in time possibly great.

Dissapointments:

1. RB---I don't know about willis. He is too variable. With better blocking I think he could be a dominant back, but right now with our line, he is not fast enough to get away, or determined enoguh to bull through the hordes of defenders waiting to tackle him in the hole. I would love to see him split time with a back like Washington (Rook from FSU on the jets, jones-drew, or Norwood on the falcons) These guys can run without much of a hole and create plays. In a perfect world we could have a big north/south back like Jacobs----but they need holes to run through, and we don't have those yet. I'll wait and see after the oline gets better.

2. TE---I hoped for alot more from these guys. We need to get a dominant TE. Our offense would be so much better with gates, whitten etc

Overall---I am satisfied with this season. If we play well and win against the fins/jets This season will have been a success in my eyes, and I will be very excited about next year.

Team goals----

Free agents---??unless you go for the big ones these are mostly 2nd tier players looking for 1st tier contracts. Look how Bentley worked out for the browns....I wouldn't go oline but go big if you do, all these 2 rate guys (except fowler) have not improved our line over the past 10 years. Draft is likely better for oline. D line you can do well here, maybe a few backups and depth can be added, possibly a tall WR

DT, OL in the early rounds. Big nasty ones. preferably from the SEC---they seem to know how to play right out of the draft. The OL is slightly less glaring of a need now than 4 weeks ago, but we are 1 injury away from being in tough shape.

RB--I would love a 3rd down shifty type back----but what we really need is SOMEONE WHO CAN PICK UP A FREAKING YARD ON 3RD AND 1.

LB--insurance for TKO

Enjoy the rest of the season, you'll be happier if you don't expect seasoned play from an up and coming team. Give us a few years, and we'll be in the playoffs making some noise again.

856836[/snapback]

Yes I would love to get a big bruising back like Allstot used to be or like John Riggen was for the hogs. Just a big smash mouth RB that only goes north south.

Sorry----that was a confused way to put it...

OL is a coveted position, and in FA often you don't get much value for the cap hit. I dont like risking a big contract for OL in FA, and unfortunately for the browns/bentley they got burned. He was definitely one of the 2 "hottest" Olinemen last year. IF you do have the sack to go oline, I think you go big $ instead of 2nd tier like we have in recent memory

Dude, they're not winning 10 next year.

Two years from now they win 10. Next year they get 8.

856714[/snapback]

This isn't the old NFL--where we can rebuild for a few years at a time. With only a few changes, a losing team can turn it around in a single year. If we get better on our lines, we can win 10 games next year.

Dissapointments:

Team goals----

LB--insurance for TKO

856836[/snapback]

Good post. I don't think it will take years anymore to get to the playoffs though. With a good off-season, I think we have a decent shot next year.

856836[/snapback]

I loved the emotion from the D after every single stop in the 3rd quarter yesterday. I can't remember the last time I saw that from a Bills team. They wanted it badly, but it's a shame that they couldn't keep playing at that level through the entire half.

Who would be your priority for resiging?

856987[/snapback]

According to the Bill Backers our free agents are

Gandy, Anthony Thomas, Sheldon, Andre Davis, Shaud Williams

Kelsay, Tim Anderson, Fletcher, clemments, Greer, Kaiwki Thomas, Wire, Bassey

Lindell, and maybe Hargrove

I say priorities: Gandy, Kelsay, Fletcher, Lindell, Hargrove

If we can afford him Clements

Also I'd like to see back: A-Train, maybe Shaud, and Thomas

What do you think?

Bills will beat the FISH at home. They will lose the other three unfortunately to end up 6-10. Another suck ass season. I'm dying over here!!

Jets in NY will be scary and hard to win

TENN at home will be close and probably lose

Ravens will crush the Bills

According to the Bill Backers our free agents are

Gandy, Anthony Thomas, Sheldon, Andre Davis, Shaud Williams

Kelsay, Tim Anderson, Fletcher, clemments, Greer, Kaiwki Thomas, Wire, Bassey

Lindell, and maybe Hargrove

I say priorities: Gandy, Kelsay, Fletcher, Lindell, Hargrove

If we can afford him Clements

Also I'd like to see back: A-Train, maybe Shaud, and Thomas

What do you think?

856995[/snapback]

KEEP: Gandy (at a low, low price), ATrain, Davis, Kelsay, Lindell, Fletch, Clements (pay him, it's worth it), KThomas, Hargrove

GONE: Wire, Tim Anderson (who seems like a cool dude, but just not a great player at all), Greer (Youboty takes his spot, and he genuinely sucks), Shaud, Villarial.

Yes I would love to get a big bruising back like Allstot used to be or like John Riggen was for the hogs. Just a big smash mouth RB that only goes north south.

How about RB DeShawn Wynn? He's the Florida guy who weighs 238 but runs a 4.5? He'll be sailing up the boards, but would probably be there in RD2.