Yet Another Post About Jason Peters

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough, in the post game comments Willis made inferences recognizing that he spent too much time dancing rather than driving forward. The Chargers' interior line is not that exceptional... as JP's 4-5 yard QB sneaks should attest. Willis spent too much time trying to take everything to the outside -- and to the left in particular. The word is out that the left side of our line is superior to the right, so teams are starting to roll defenders in that direction.

856743[/snapback]

Do you REALLY believe that?

Williams is the most dominating Nose tackle in football.

There has never been a time since Will Wolford that the LT position was not a horror show for the Buffalo Bills. Think of the disasters that we have lined up at this most valueable...Kris Farris, John Fina, Gandy, etc.  I thought that Jennings was good, but he was rightly named (by Badolbilz) "Jennings ala cart."  Did Jerman line up at LT a few times?  :D  :P

What an absolute mess.

Jason Peters is amazing. I was able to see a lot of him this week (just got lucky with the camera angles). A couple of times, I thought he was getting beat, and he pushed his man away by extending his arms. You have to be super strong to do this, and I just can't tell you how happy I am to see the Bills with a left tackle who is able to to play at this level.

I am going to go out on a limb and state that this kid has the potential to reach the pro-bowl before long. Call me crazy, but I think that he is already close after 4 friggin games.  :blush:  :worthy:

As for Willis, we need to think about who he is and what he does imo. The man is a 235 lb tailback! The fact that he even CAN "dance" is remarkable imo. Most of these moves would be better served if made upfield, but our OGs are not getting the necessary push to get him past scrimage.

Gandy is OK at pass protection, but is not one of these monster guards who fires out and kicks ass on running plays. Preston seems like a smart kid, but he too is just a little light in the ass imo. Truthfully, I would like to see Merz get more time after seeing him live against NE.

Either way, the Bills need a nasty pair of guards who can get him past the line of scrimage. These moves that frustrate fans now will thrill the same fans when he makes them in more of an open field. Line up Steinbach next to Peters in 07 and we will be watching Willis make these moves 10 yards upfield!

I am not enough of an optimist by nature, but I am sensing very good things for the Bills in 07. The cap space is there, the spirit is there, the LT is there, and it looks as if the qb is there.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

856302[/snapback]

Peters is getting really good. I was thinking the other day that it is in the realm of possibility that out of one class of rookies the Bills could end up with 3 Pro Bowl type players if Evans, Losman and Peters all develop. Those are the kinds of thing you see when a team makes a move out of mediocrity and into contention.

If they could team Peters and Steinbach, I think you have another Walter Jones/Hutchinson combo, and that would be great for Wills. Gotta' say I'm impressed with the pass blocking of late, but people shouldn't get too excited about Gandy at LG. He can't be trusted to carry over his play, he was horrendous at LT this year after being decent last year and the same type of thing happened in Chicago. The guy would make a real nice 6th lineman.

Peters is getting really good.  I was thinking the other day that it is in the realm of possibility that out of one class of rookies the Bills could end up with 3 Pro Bowl type players if Evans, Losman and Peters all develop.  Those are the kinds of thing you see when a team makes a move out of mediocrity and into contention.

If they could team Peters and Steinbach, I think you have another Walter Jones/Hutchinson combo, and that would be great for Wills.  Gotta' say I'm impressed with the pass blocking of late, but people shouldn't get too excited about Gandy at LG.  He can't be trusted to carry over his play, he was horrendous at LT this year after being decent last year and the same type of thing happened in Chicago.  The guy would make a real nice 6th lineman.

857171[/snapback]

Great football insights, as usual. I hope Marv and Ralph will do the right thing and make Steinbach an offer he can't refuse.

Willis needs to learn to make on cut and head downfield. He keeps pirouetting around the fild and getting stopped for little or no gain trying to get the big run. At least A-Train just lowers his shoulders and levels people. I'm not saying A-Train is better, but he is better WITH THE LINE WE HAVE cause we can't get good run blocking. With a solid O-line Willis is a top 5 back. Without it, he is top 15 at best.

It's tough for Gandy to get a PUS on run blocking situations when he lines up and squats down like he is going to roll a deuce...anyone else see this?

856906[/snapback]

YES I noticed that last week at the jac. game ....I've never seen a gaurd get that freakin low in the ass before the snap???/

Perfect example of why McGahee has to go...The PERFECTLY executed screen play in which he had a minimum of 5 yards upfield...all he had to do was run up the field. What did he do? He stopped, took a step sideways, took a step the other way, then tried to dive for the first down, only to end up 4 inches or so shy.

856415[/snapback]

That's what I thought at first too. Look again. He was going to get met head on by #54 at or before the first down marker who was coming like a freight train. It looked open on the TV angle and I almost threw my remote at Willis, before deciding instead to use it to back up and watch the play several times. I was looking for evidence that Willis was an idiot and blew it, and instead I found evidence that Willis probably would not have had it, and did an extra move which almost worked.

That's what I thought at first too.  Look again.  He was going to get met head on by #54 at or before the first down marker who was coming like a freight train.  It looked open on the TV angle and I almost threw my remote at Willis, before deciding instead to use it to back up and watch the play several times.  I was looking for evidence that Willis was an idiot and blew it, and instead I found evidence that Willis probably would not have had it, and did an extra move which almost worked.

857557[/snapback]

There's a moral there somewhere I think. :doh:

You're right....I don't know what I was getting all excited about. It should have gone without saying that sooner or later all we needed to do was bring in an UDFA TE (one who had experience as a d-lineman, too....duly noted), stick him on the line, and we'd have the most important position on our line solidified for the next decade.  :doh:

856627[/snapback]

Right! That was the OBVIOUS conclusion. :blink: We've got a winner though, and that what counts. :wacko:

AT would not have scored those 2 touchdowns last week. And 2 carries for 11 yards signifies nothing really. We've got to live with Willis being a patient runner if we want the rewards of some of the plays he can make that guys like AT cannot.

856425[/snapback]

Look around the league at the number of very promising RBs that were drafted this year. Willis better be gone after this season, anyone that can't see how bad he is is kidding themselves.

There has never been a time since Will Wolford that the LT position was not a horror show for the Buffalo Bills. Think of the disasters that we have lined up at this most valueable spot...Kris Farris, John Fina, Gandy, etc.  I thought that Jennings was good, but he was rightly named (by Badolbilz) "Jennings ala cart."  Did Jerman line up at LT a few times?  :lol:  :lol:

What an absolute mess.

Jason Peters is amazing. I was able to see a lot of him this week (just got lucky with the camera angles). A couple of times, I thought he was getting beat, and he pushed his man away by extending his arms. You have to be super strong to do this, and I just can't tell you how happy I am to see the Bills with a left tackle who is able to to play at this level.

I am going to go out on a limb and state that this kid has the potential to reach the pro-bowl before long. Call me crazy, but I think that he is already close after 4 friggin games.  :D  :D

As for Willis, we need to think about who he is and what he does imo. The man is a 235 lb tailback! The fact that he even CAN "dance" is remarkable imo. Most of these moves would be better served if made upfield, but our OGs are not getting the necessary push to get him past scrimage.

Gandy is OK at pass protection, but is not one of these monster guards who fires out and kicks ass on running plays. Preston seems like a smart kid, but he too is just a little light in the ass imo. Truthfully, I would like to see Merz get more time after seeing him live against NE.

Either way, the Bills need a nasty pair of guards who can get him past the line of scrimage. These moves that frustrate fans now will thrill the same fans when he makes them in more of an open field. Line up Steinbach next to Peters in 07 and we will be watching Willis make these moves 10 yards upfield!

I am not enough of an optimist by nature, but I am sensing very good things for the Bills in 07. The cap space is there, the spirit is there, the LT is there, and it looks as if the qb is there.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

856302[/snapback]

Nice post Bill. Optimism becomes you. :D

I'm feeling so optimistic I predict a playoff run in 07

858131[/snapback]

This wouldn't surprise me if a few things fall into place:

1) We need more skill and depth on the OL, particularly at OG. There are monster DTs in our division that we must face.

2) With London a UFA (I hope they franchise him) and Spikes questionable, LB is a glaring need. If Marv doesn't draft a first round corner, I fully expect them to select a LB with the top pick.

3) I am hoping against all hope that we extend Clements.

4) Obviously, we need a run stopping DT.

5) I am putting this last on the list, but I truly hope that they keep Kelsay. It will cost WAY more to do so than many here believe (imo), but I am very pleased with our current situation at DE. Kelsay is a DE coming into his prime who can bring the pressure. C'mon Modrak, make him an offer, and do it before the season ends!!!

5) I am putting this last on the list, but I truly hope that they keep Kelsay. It will cost WAY more to do so than many here believe (imo), but I am very pleased with our current situation at DE. Kelsay is a DE coming into his prime who can bring the pressure. C'mon Modrak, make him an offer, and do it before the season ends!!!

858445[/snapback]

Jim Overdorf is the guy handling the contracts and salary cap. If Levy decides to pursue both Clements and Kelsay, Jim will do the negotiations. BTW, I agree we need to

re-sign Clements and Kelsay. Teams re-sign their best players and don't let them

test the FA. The only problem is, does Clements wants to play for the Bills ?

Kelsay is a DE and I think someone will throw decent money at him to sign like we did with Larry Triplett. Considering that he has not displaced the other DE in the rotation, we probably won't pay him like a starter.

My feeling is we will re-sign Clements (if he wants to be here), as we have enough cap room and we will pay that one big signing bonus. I think Fletcher and Kelsay are big question marks. Fletcher making tackles 5-6 yards behind the LoS does not cut it whether we have good or average DTs.

2) With London a UFA (I hope they franchise him) and Spikes questionable, LB is a glaring need. If Marv doesn't draft a first round corner, I fully expect them to select a LB with the top pick.

858445[/snapback]

I realize we are in a jam at the linebacker position, but if we franchise Fletcher, he will immediately join the ranks of the most OVERPAID players in the league. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

This wouldn't surprise me if a few things fall into place:

1) We need more skill and depth on the OL, particularly at OG. There are monster DTs in our division that we must face.

3) I am hoping against all hope that we extend Clements.

4) Obviously, we need a run stopping DT.

858445[/snapback]

The sad thing is that after addressing the D with most of the picks last year it looks like we'll have to do more of the same next year. If they would/could just sign Clements to an extension at least the secondary would be set. If they can't then you're right, the Bills will need help all over the D - on the DL, at LB and in the secondary. That's just f'in sad.

When you add the fact that the O needs help at TE, WR and OL one can see that this team is a long ways off. :w00t:

I realize we are in a jam at the linebacker position, but if we franchise Fletcher, he will immediately join the ranks of the most OVERPAID players in the league.  I really hope it doesn't come to that.

858932[/snapback]

If they don't get Fletch signed and don't sign Clements the Bills will have added two more positions of need in a D that has loads of them already. At some point the team needs to re-sign their own good players, otherwise they'll never make any progress. I don't think they should franchise Fletch but they should definately sign him to an extention before free agency starts.

I realize we are in a jam at the linebacker position, but if we franchise Fletcher, he will immediately join the ranks of the most OVERPAID players in the league.  I really hope it doesn't come to that.

858932[/snapback]

I don't think Marv is going to Franchise Tag Fletcher. I wish they had re-signed him this offseason to a slightly lower contract then next year, plus it would have been one less thing to worry about. My feeling is may be Jauron/Fewell are not sold yet on Fletcher as being the right personnel for their scheme.