Can someone please articulate for me

ajzepp

One of the things I've always agreed with in the NFL is putting your best players on the field. Okay, so maybe it's not realistic to think that we could consistently have McGahee/Henry instead of Shelton/Henry.....but can't we at least sit this guy and go three wide on most plays? I've seen the entire tape of the Jax game, only highlights of the Raiduhs game, and the live broadcast of the Pats game, so I haven't seen as much of the Bills as a lot of you have. I can understand that a good fullback will largely go unnoticed if he's doing his job....but this guy seems to be more of a goat than a ghost. Is he really what we need for our base offense? Drew is so slow that whoever Shelton is blocking will be OFF his block by the time Drew gets set up in the pocket anyway......If Reed can't cut it as the slot guy, get Aiken. I just think it's time to shake things up, and for whatever reason I think Shelton could be used in more productive ways.......such as bench warmer.

Somehow Sam Gash is still unemployed...

60709[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing - even if he's lost a step you'd think Gash would still be able to throw a block or two and contribute...

Yeah, but isn't Gash's knee still FUBARed? That's the last I heard - it never came back after his surgery in June, and the Saints released him because he couldn't pass a physical.

I believe his primary roll is to be a lead blocker on running plays. If he is in the game on a passing down his first responsibility generally would be blitz pick-up, if he's freed up he should sneak into the flat and act as a safety valve for Bledsoe. How's he doin?

Shelton was brought in by Donahoe to whiff on blocks to get Drew killed. It's a conspiracy against the bills by Donahoe. He's sabotaging the team.

60711[/snapback]

I said that once and everyone thought I was crazy.

Now you and me are crazy. Actually, only you-because I was kidding.

But I'm starting to think seriously about it. It's the only rational explanation for the Bills.

I'd rather see us line up in with 1RB and 3WR as our base offense to get Shelton off the field. It would force Ds to use the Nickle against us which I'd prefer to see Henry running agsint and if Josh Reed isn't going to be the starter in the 2WR set anymore his blocking would be an asset against the nickel...I mean, would you rather have Shelton with the responsiblity of taking on a LB or Reed on the 3rd CB?

I realize this is what "finese" teams do and we want to be a "pound 'em" offense...but Shelton sucks, plain and simple...and our TEs aren't any better for those who'd prefer a 2TE set as our base.

I'd rather see us line up in with 1RB and 3WR as our base offense to get Shelton off the field.  It would force Ds to use the Nickle against us which I'd prefer to see Henry running agsint and if Josh Reed isn't going to be the starter in the 2WR set anymore his blocking would be an asset against the nickel...I mean, would you rather have Shelton with the responsiblity of taking on a LB or Reed on the 3rd CB? 

I realize this is what "finese" teams do and we want to be a "pound 'em" offense...but Shelton sucks, plain and simple...and our TEs aren't any better for those who'd prefer a 2TE set as our base.

61023[/snapback]

Agree 100%. Plus I think it gives us the best chance of winning as long as Drew remains starting QB. I don't think he can pull off a low-risk, conservative game plan without a Ben Coates at TE... open it up & let him go out with a bang until JP's ready.

Since we never throw to him, isn't putting him on the field basically saying to everyone..."We're running here." Mark VI commented about a similar situation with Aiken. When you see him on the field, you know it's a run. Even worse, against NE, he went in motion in the direction of the run and we lost a yard or two on that one play.

I'm not enough about the Xs and Os to overspeak, but is it possible our schemes are OVERsimplified at this juncture, just for the sake of not making the same mistakes we saw with Kildrive?

Since we never throw to him, isn't putting him on the field basically saying to everyone..."We're running here." Mark VI commented about a similar situation with Aiken. When you see him on the field, you know it's a run. Even worse, against NE, he went in motion in the direction of the run and we lost a yard or two on that one play.

I'm not enough about the Xs and Os to overspeak, but is it possible our schemes are OVERsimplified at this juncture, just for the sake of not making the same mistakes we saw with Kildrive?

61050[/snapback]

Yep. A pass to a FB and a run now and again makes a defense actually have to pay a bit of attention as opposed to just being considered as another blocker to plan against. IMO.

Whether or not said FB has any skills is another matter. It helps a lot if they can block in the run game. Corey Dillon got a lot of mileage by blocks by Lorenzo Neal (now with SD), and Rudi Johnson benefits from FB Jeremi Johnson (2nd year player, scored a td last week against Pit on a short pass - the defense ignored him).

Shelton was brought in by Donahoe to whiff on blocks to get Drew killed. It's a conspiracy against the bills by Donahoe. He's sabotaging the team.

60711[/snapback]

His office was recently removed from One Bills Drive to the grassy knoll.